New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: PF: Feast of the Ravenmoor Team B IC (Benson)

Amusingly there was a slight tear in the shopkeeper's shirt underneath his heavy apron. He kept a steady expression and flexed his fingers.

"Saul Lupescu,"
    He responded throatily. Frederick would get this feeling that while Saul wasn't about to be all buddy buddy with him, Saul at least didn't seem to hate him. Tolerated, there we go. He eyed Frederick a bit more, then glanced at the others in indifference, though on Azeron his eyes narrowed for a second before settling back on Frederick. He nodded closing his eyes. "Yes."

"So staying for the festival are we? Hmm, I see. Well if you seek camping supplies, I have some, what are you looking for in particular?"
    He asked addressing them all though his gaze was set upon Frederick.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Azeron

Azeron bows his head towards the man. "Thank you my good man. Mosquito nets and a maybe a tent would be mostly what we seek."

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+11)[24]
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Frederick folded his arms again, though this time in a relaxed pose, and grunted in satisfaction, glad to see that his hunch was not wrong. See, there were people in this world who spoke the language of muscle. It was less about friendship and more about a mutual understanding of sorts. Even orcs, the merciless, unrepentant monsters that they were, held a grudging respect for those who showed strength. Frederick was a summoner, a fairly uncommon profession, and rarer still, one who was able and willing to charge into the thick of combat alongside his companions and otherworldly servants. Yes, just the usual camping supplies. And a barrel of insect repellent.

Having caught the look Saul gave to the paladin, Frederick leaned forward a bit and nodded at the shopkeep. Azeron is a good man. He will not disrespect your daughter. he said in a straightforward fashion.
    Last edited by Springjack; 2015-03-12 at 05:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Garren was content to stand back and watch the contest of strength, even if he didn't quite understand what was going on. A firm handshake was one thing, but this struck him as, well, rude. After it was over, he finally chimed in, "I'll need a tent as well." Garren chimed in. "Anything else you could recommend for us that we might have missed?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Saul still just eyed Azeron wearily but nodded at Frederick though his eyes were on the paladin. "Well I got medium tents, sixteen apiece fer each of em and skeeter nets, 10 silvers fer the each of em, as fer insect repellent, I suggest a smokey fire." He then scratched his chin and shrugged at Garren's question. "Bedrolls? two silver apiece."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Frederick indulges in yet another absurd show of masculine bravado, Melodrin rolls her eyes (again) and peruses the store for anything interesting or suspicious.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[14]

How big are the tents/nets, btw? Do we each need our own?

7. - Top - End - #127

Azeron

Azeron looks a little confused at Frederick's comments. It seems he again has misjudged something of human ages and behavior. "I apologize if my behavior has offended you, I wish to assure you that I have no dishonorable intentions towards you or your daughter." And with that he bows deeply.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

"That one has no dishonorable intentions towards anyone or anything, believe me." Garren chuckled as he counted out enough coin for a tent, mosquito net, and bedroll. "This should cover my items, sir."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Relax mate! No need to be so formal. Frederick clapped Azeron on the shoulder as the paladin started to bow. Saul was no doubt just playing the part of the hard-ass father fending off attention directed at his precious daughter. No harm from any involved party.

I would have liked to sleep under the open sky, gazing at the stars. The brawny summoner grew slightly misty-eyed as he handed over coin for camping supplies of his own, no doubt fondly remembering some misadventure of his youth. He then immediately perked up again and grinned. But, I also prefer not to be eaten alive just yet.

Three tents and mosquito nets should be sufficient for the group's needs. Frederick and Azeron in one, Garren (meticulous as he was about grooming) on his own, plus a separate one for the women, as par usual. Here, Azeron. My half for the tent. Frederick added in gold for a tent and mosquito netting.
    Last edited by Springjack; 2015-03-15 at 12:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

Azeron

Azeron smiles. "I enjoy formality."

He contributes his half for the tent and enough for a net as well.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Saul was more than glad to take their money as it collected it all into a small pouch he pulled from behind the counter.

"Let us keep it that way, the no dishonorable intentions.."
    He said as he walked about the small shop front and collected the purchased items from various shelves behind the counter and against the walls. He then returned to them with a big bundle of their purchased items and plopped them in front of them. Alas for Melodrin she would not spy much of interest, the only things that stood out even a little from this mundane shop were three random Harrow cards just lying on a shelf collecting dust.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Unless someone has any other questions, I believe our business is concluded here then. Frederick gathered up his newly purchased belongings and gave the shopkeeper a short nod. Saul.

Let's find a good spot to set up camp before the festival starts. he said to his companions. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a breezy place to help ward off the bugs.

13. - Top - End - #133

Azeron

Azeron follows Frederick. "Thank you Saul."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

The posse would find themselves a nice grassy spot just a little north ways of town, across a small brook and near the base of a couple rolling hills. Anyways, bothering people with questions!

And so our heroes found themselves taking to the town, questioning folks, subtly I am sure, with their questions. They would find it initially difficult as most of the folks either were evasive of them or would only reply with shrugs and words of 'I dunno'. Some folks just suggested talking to the Mayor unaware that our dear heroes already spoke to him. Other folks eyed them wearily and even one townie told them to bugger off. There were some shifty folks but if and when pressed would simply state to go away or else.

Eventually in their wandering about, searching for their answers they would come across a group of children playing what looked to be playing some sort of game of catch with an ear of corn. At some point the ear of corn found itself flying towards the group, in particular at Frederick's noggin.

<Some moments later after casually slipping in the question about Elias Kyle>

"I dunno really...I mean..I 'member I saw 'em...ugly one he were with a mean look to 'em," Answered one young lad with a red bowl hair cut and freckled face shrugged as he held the ear of corn in his arms.

"Oooh oooh...what if'n the Night Creepers took him?"
    A lanky blond lad with big ears chimed in with a big grin.

"Heeey...don't even mention 'em...I saw one last night! It were scary!"
    Said a short brown haired chubby lass with buck teeth puffed her cheeks upset at the lanky blond lad.

"They ain't real, my big brother told me Night Creepers is just what grown ups make up ta make us behave, heh!"
    The red headed kid laughed and raised his brows at the young girl.

"You keep that up and they'll take you away ta'night afta the festy-val, harumph!"
    The girl turned her nose and crossed her arms over her chest.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Children: they might have overactive imaginations, but kid's presence was often ignored by the adults and the little squirts saw and heard more things than one usually gave them credit for. They were usually very straightforward with information, if one understood how to coax it out of 'em.

While Pinto tried to wrestle the corn cob from the red-headed midget, Frederick got down on one knee and conversed with the kids. He raised an eyebrow at the buck-toothed girl, showing great interest in her story. Maybe the "Night Creepers" weren't some supernatural boogey men that the kids made them seem, but they definitely saw something.

Don't you worry your little head, lassie. The mayor invited us adventurers to the festival and we'll make sure to keep the nasties away. The large man's voice dropped to a low, conspiratorial tone. Can you tell us what these Night Creepers looked like? That way we'll know whose butt to kick if they start making trouble. he finished off with a broad smile. Are you sure they weren't just some wild animals?
    Last edited by Springjack; 2015-03-20 at 10:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

"Scary! and ugly!" The young girl answered while in the background the red-headed lad waaah'd as Pinto more than easily wrestled the ear of corn away from him. The boy was just dang startled by the three eyed thing going on.

The young girl put her arm in front of her nose and kept it erect and then proceeded to make some buzzing sounds. "Like 'skeeter faces heheh.....and carry dem sickles...cuz...reapin bad kids sort of stuff." The young girl pinched her nose and rubbed to work out a pesky booger. "I'mma sure it weren't aminals mister." She sharply nodded looking quite assured of herself.

17. - Top - End - #137

Azeron

Azeron listens to the discussion thoughtfully, trying to determine how much of their story and description are childish embellishment.

Show
    Sense motive (1d20+4)[17]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Melodrin looks down at the chubby girl. "Where'd you see it, kid?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does the description ring any magical beast bells, maybe?
    Knowledge(Arcana): (1d20+8)[14]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Hey. Frederick conked Pinto on the head a bit and gave him a stern look. The eidolon got the message, dropping the ear of corn back into the red-haired child's hands with a slightly guilty look. Thankfully an alien-dog's mouth produced less saliva than your average earth mutt. I am very sorry. he said with sincerity, probably startling the child even more.

That's better. Frederick responded with a slightly less chiding tone and Pinto perked up again. The alien dog never stayed depressed or sad for too long.

Back to business at hand. Frederick rubbed his chin thoughtfully after the little girl described what she had seen. Face like a mosquito and carrying a sickle. Sounds like some lout in a mask. he remarked to his comrades. Frederick's gut told him there was more to this town than what appeared on the surface, but exactly what, he couldn't say. Little inconsistencies, like the mayor's behavior, just didn't seem to add up.
    Last edited by Springjack; 2015-03-23 at 09:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do you know anyone else who was taken by the Night Creepers?" Garren asked with a skeptical smile.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Garren's Local Knowledge Check
    Show
    Garren recognizes Night Creepers as entities of local bogeyman stories. Described to have faces of stirges, it is claimed that they stalk the town’s fields and streets during the night and snatch away kids willful enough to disobey their parents and stay out after dark.

From what Azeron is able to tell, they believe their own words and likely don't think of themselves as lying.

"Long time ago...it was dark and scary, but mah kitty Miss Purdy was outside meowin ta be let back in the house, so I wented ta open the door and let her in when...well it was dark...but I saws it off aways...only a second cuz I shut the door quick-like,"
    The little girl widened her eyes as she told her story and spoke in a whisper.

In the meanwhile, the red headed kid's eyes went wide as well when Pinto spoke, causing him to drop the ear of corn altogether.

When Garren asked his question, the lanky blonde kid spoke up. "Well...mah cousin's sister's friend's mom's grandma said her bestest friend was taken cuz....one day she was no longer around no mores."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Garren wasn't sure what sort of answer he expected. He'd have dismissed the whole thing if the mayor and the whole town didn't strike him as off somehow. "Well ladies and gentlemen, there we have it. Unless we want to question some more people our best bet might be to attend the festival and see if we can scrounge up any better leads".

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

The group could further discuss the merits of the story once in private. Thank you children, you have been most helpful. Frederick smiled kindly at the children and gave a small bow to the buck-toothed girl in particular. If you see any of these Night Creepers during the festival, come find us. We'll protect you, okay?

24. - Top - End - #144

Azeron

"We will protect you from any danger at all."

~~~

After they have walked away from the children. "Should we stick together or separate and seek information?"

He begins to look into the hearts of those he sees for the darkness, as he walks around.

Show
    Detect evil on all he sees and will see that day.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Once they were away from prying ears, Frederick lowered his voice. What do you think mates? These "night creepers" the squirts mentioned sound like urban legend, but many myths are based on some reality. I'd have paid little attention to the story were it not for the mayor's peculiar actions. Apparently Frederick had the same train of though as Garren did earlier. In fact, some of the folks we encountered seemed a bit suspicious and I'd wager that it was more than common xenophobia.

Thoughts?

26. - Top - End - #146

Azeron

Azeron shrugs. "I am not sure of anything yet. Stories of Bogeymen are pretty common and we have nothing solid at the moment. I am keeping an open mind, but I do think the mayor was hiding something."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes indeed. We should keep our guard up and eyes peeled for now. Frederick nodded sagely, then looked down at his eidolon. "I was thinking of unleashing Pinto for a bit while everyone's attention will be focused on the festival. He can snoop around the mayor's house for anything suspicious while we socialize with the good folk of Ravengro. Worst case scenario, it would be easier to explain away a wandering alien animal pet than to be caught trespassing in someone's house.

28. - Top - End - #148

Azeron

"Well I suppose he would fit right in, in a place where a boy keeps a giant mosquito as a pet."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

"Everyone has heard him talk, so appearances aside they know he's not just another animal. Still, it could be explained away more easily than if one of us got caught." Garren sighed. "I don't have any other ideas than to keep asking questions and hope something slips."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

"Let's take things as they come. If we find no answers by tomorrow, we'll plan our next move in the morning. If you wish to join our little rogue I won't stop you. Just remember that should things get violent, Pinto will merely be sent back to his home plane for a day. You lot, on the other hand, are a more permanent fixture on this earth."

"I would like it if you all relaxed a little." boomed Frederick with a smile. "Investigation or not, there are still festivities to be had. Take some time to enjoy yourselves."
    Last edited by Springjack; 2015-03-30 at 09:36 PM.