Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 231
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Update: Added links to my discussion of magical items for druids. For reference, it's here.
    Last edited by hymer; 2016-02-11 at 05:06 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Hello I am brand new to D&d, started playing with a group that is all pretty new except the Dm. I am currently a level 2 druid and wanted to know if getting war caster as a feature at level 3 is a waste? I'm often running out of slots and in need to being able to attack when creeps close in on me. The limit on casting cantrips or having a weapon drawn seems to be a particular drawback. My low ac is what is making me doubt having anything melee at all. My question is, if I am not multiclassimg is getting the warcaster feature at lvl 3 a waste?

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Hello I am brand new to D&d, started playing with a group that is all pretty new except the Dm. I am currently a level 2 druid and wanted to know if getting war caster as a feature at level 3 is a waste? I'm often running out of slots and in need to being able to attack when creeps close in on me. The limit on casting cantrips or having a weapon drawn seems to be a particular drawback. My low ac is what is making me doubt having anything melee at all. My question is, if I am not multiclassimg is getting the warcaster feature at lvl 3 a waste?
    I've started a fresh thread here to deal with your question.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Random question, and a tad bit late relative to the post, but why are the spells not color coded with (your belief) relavance/usefullness? Just thinking about making my first druid and will be "speed leveled" (we gain about 1 level a session until 20, as the party is 20 at this time). Would be helpful to get a 3rd opinion about the relavence of spells. We don't use mnay homebrewed rules, and the ones we have won't affect spell choice so it would be nice to see your opinion on which ones are necessary :)

    EDIT: Just realized you color coded the cantrips but not spell level 1 to 9.
    Last edited by frye01; 2016-03-25 at 12:38 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by frye01 View Post
    Random question, and a tad bit late relative to the post, but why are the spells not color coded with (your belief) relavance/usefullness? Just thinking about making my first druid and will be "speed leveled" (we gain about 1 level a session until 20, as the party is 20 at this time). Would be helpful to get a 3rd opinion about the relavence of spells. We don't use mnay homebrewed rules, and the ones we have won't affect spell choice so it would be nice to see your opinion on which ones are necessary :)

    EDIT: Just realized you color coded the cantrips but not spell level 1 to 9.
    Because unlike Cantrips, a Druid just knows all of their spells. You use different spells for different purposes, and as you can just change your spells every day rather than spending permanent resorts on them, it makes more sense to evaluate in game.what spells would be useful rather than trying to decide whether it's better to be able to summon Dinosaurs, call lightning from the sky, or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    I understand they can change from day-to-day (If I understood it correctly, you can "prepare" new/different spells with a long rest...) However, the majority of classes have spells that are almost always useless and some that should almost always be taken (I feel like Goodberry is one of the ones that should almost always be taken). I would appreciate it if the OP would come back and rate the spells based on usefulness.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    @ frye01: Georgie's got it right (thanks, Georgie ). It makes little sense to rate the spells for the purposes of this guide. Which is better, Heat Metal or Enhance Ability? That depends entirely on what you'll be doing that day, what foes you'll be facing (if any), who the other people in the party are, and your own skills and abilities.
    What happens at your table is not the same as what happens at mine. There really is no way around reading up on all the spells you have access to, and making your own determination based on your experience, preferences and needs.
    This makes it a little hard on the player to level every session for a druid. There is a lot of material to chew through and master; druids are possibly the most book-keeping heavy class in the game. So let me say, you can skip Find Traps. Preparing that is an act of desperation.

    All that said, opinions aren't usually hard to come by. Daishain's thread on 5e stuff lists other druid guides, at least one of which has done what you ask for in grading spells. And you can, of course, bring the subject up in your own threads here in the forum for more opinions. I suggest you keep it down to something like one spell level at a time, or the advice may seem too general.

    Finally, I've done a little of the sort of thing you ask, but only as far as level 7. It's the Quickspell Guide in post 3.
    Last edited by hymer; 2016-03-25 at 03:31 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Thank you for the guide; it's been very helpful!

    PHB says you can assume the shape of a beast you have seen before, and in the next paragraph says "Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table."

    Does this mean the druid can't assume the shape of the boll weevil I saw in my bread, because it's not listed in that table? And where is this table? I didn't find it in the PHB. Is it in the Monster Manual?

    If you use Conjure Beast, have you now "seen" the beast, so that you can wildshape into it, or is that an end-run around the intention of the rule?

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by MacBiodiesel View Post
    Thank you for the guide; it's been very helpful!

    PHB says you can assume the shape of a beast you have seen before, and in the next paragraph says "Your druid level determines the beasts you can transform into, as shown in the Beast Shapes table."

    Does this mean the druid can't assume the shape of the boll weevil I saw in my bread, because it's not listed in that table? And where is this table? I didn't find it in the PHB. Is it in the Monster Manual?

    If you use Conjure Beast, have you now "seen" the beast, so that you can wildshape into it, or is that an end-run around the intention of the rule?
    Much of this is 'ask your DM' territory, but the table is referring to the CR and movement type limitations chart in the PHB. No particular creatures are listed, but as an example a level 2 Land Druid can turn into anything of CR 1/4 or lower that doesn't have a fly or swim speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    @ MacBiodiesel: Once again, Georgie's got it (thanks again, Georgie!). I'll just add that Polymorph is in a similar situation as Conjure Beasts for seeing new forms, except it can get you higher CRs than 2.
    And you are of course welcome, and I'm glad you've found the guide useful.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    georgie_leech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    @ MacBiodiesel: Once again, Georgie's got it (thanks again, Georgie!).
    Druids are one of my favourite classes this time around, they hit that "can contribute to pretty much anything" sweetspot without being flat out better like the 3.x incarnation. Between that and being able to do things like have a flaming sword-wielding gorilla to terrify the goblins into fleeing instead of fighting, I spend a lot of time thinking about ability uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Me gusta mucho esta recopilacion y detalle de informacion sobre la clase Druida.
    Y me gustaria tener el permiso para traducirla y publicarla en los foros en espaņol.

    Realmente me gustaria traducir al espaņol estos temas:
    • showthread.php?397940-5e-Druid-Handbook-Land-amp-Moon
    • showthread.php?457532-Druid-Multiclassing-an-addendum-%28WIP%29
    • showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids


    Un saludo!!!

    ---- Google traductor------
    I really like this compilation and detailed information about the Druid class.
    And I would like to have permission to translate and publish it in the forums in Spanish .

    I really would like to translate into Spanish the following topics:
    • showthread.php?397940-5e-Druid-Handbook-Land-amp-Moon
    • showthread.php?457532-Druid-Multiclassing-an-addendum-%28WIP%29
    • showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    @ Thewolf: I'd be honoured!
    But you need to get specific permission from a moderator to make it in this forum, due to language requirements. I'll try to get their attention as soon as I'm done typing here, and we'll see what they say.
    If the mods are okay with it, I'll put links in for anyone preferring the Spanish version, and note it in your thread(s) when I make an update.
    If it's not okay with the mods, maybe we can work out another solution.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Thewolf View Post
    Me gusta mucho esta recopilacion y detalle de informacion sobre la clase Druida.
    Y me gustaria tener el permiso para traducirla y publicarla en los foros en espaņol.

    Realmente me gustaria traducir al espaņol estos temas:
    • showthread.php?397940-5e-Druid-Handbook-Land-amp-Moon
    • showthread.php?457532-Druid-Multiclassing-an-addendum-%28WIP%29
    • showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids


    Un saludo!!!

    ---- Google traductor------
    I really like this compilation and detailed information about the Druid class.
    And I would like to have permission to translate and publish it in the forums in Spanish .

    I really would like to translate into Spanish the following topics:
    • showthread.php?397940-5e-Druid-Handbook-Land-amp-Moon
    • showthread.php?457532-Druid-Multiclassing-an-addendum-%28WIP%29
    • showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids
    Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    @ Thewolf: I'd be honoured!
    But you need to get specific permission from a moderator to make it in this forum, due to language requirements. I'll try to get their attention as soon as I'm done typing here, and we'll see what they say.
    If the mods are okay with it, I'll put links in for anyone preferring the Spanish version, and note it in your thread(s) when I make an update.
    If it's not okay with the mods, maybe we can work out another solution.
    Roland: Please don't post in Spanish here. All posts and material linked to should be in English. Thanks!
    Forum Rules

    Roland as Jayne Cobb by Mysticaloctopus

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    @ Roland St. Jude: It'll be as you say, of course. Thanks for responding.

    @ Thewolf: I've sent you a private message about where we go from here, if anywhere.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    The English is not the only language in the world. Spanish is the third worldwide and second in importance to DnD, with large Spanish-speaking consumers. Anyway...

    A greeting!!!

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Thewolf View Post
    The English is not the only language in the world. Spanish is the third worldwide and second in importance to DnD, with large Spanish-speaking consumers. Anyway...

    A greeting!!!
    It's not about the game, it's about the forum. When both the creator and the moderators speak predominantly English, it becomes much easier to keep the place moderated when it is in that language.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    It's not about the game, it's about the forum. When both the creator and the moderators speak predominantly English, it becomes much easier to keep the place moderated when it is in that language.
    I understand but one thing is not to publish content in Spanish and another thing is to not allow links to the "same" content in Spanish. Many people who speak the Spanish language insurance have gone through this forum, and although google is good translating is not always understandable.

    I thought that the idea of these forums regardless of the language was to share information and opinions, so why limit it.

    Un saludo!!!
    PD: A greeting!!!

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Aland islands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Thought about adding a multiclass part to the guide with tips for good dips and such for a druid centric pc? :)

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Thought about adding a multiclass part to the guide with tips for good dips and such for a druid centric pc? :)
    Monk 1. Pretty straightforward, you are here for Unarmored Defense. This increases the AC of most of your forms (even without stacking with natural armor).

    That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Aland islands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Monk 1. Pretty straightforward, you are here for Unarmored Defense. This increases the AC of most of your forms (even without stacking with natural armor).

    That is all.
    Paly 2 for smiting beast forms is pretty darn neat aswell while still letting you get lvl 9 spells and CR 6 beast form. :)

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Thought about adding a multiclass part to the guide with tips for good dips and such for a druid centric pc? :)
    Try looking for the word 'Multiclass' on the first page. Failing that, follow this link.
    Last edited by hymer; 2016-04-14 at 08:57 AM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JumboWheat01's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    I just don't know why you would want to take a dip in anything on a druid. That capstone is just so delicious.
    Oh for the love of little green tomatoes...

    Avatar by Tiffanie Lirle.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    I just don't know why you would want to take a dip in anything on a druid. That capstone is just so delicious.
    It is, but a lot of games run in the mid levels. I'm weighing a paly dip for a game I'm in at level 9 because of how disappointing some of the forms are after CR2. A paly dip gives up a spell level for better nova potential when I need it, though I'm uncertain it would be worth it.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Hello Everyone,

    I would like to have some advice on the feel for this class as it's the first time I play a druid. It would seem, unless I misunderstood, this class is a bit of everything, meaning, caster, possible healer, possible damage (beast or spells). I have decided to go with the quaterstaff, polearm master because of the style which I might multiclass monk. Is the druid should be using beasts form often during encounter or is it situational.

    Can I get an example how would you play this class, in melee and out of melee?

    Regards

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PirateWench

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Solovar View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I would like to have some advice on the feel for this class as it's the first time I play a druid. It would seem, unless I misunderstood, this class is a bit of everything, meaning, caster, possible healer, possible damage (beast or spells). I have decided to go with the quaterstaff, polearm master because of the style which I might multiclass monk. Is the druid should be using beasts form often during encounter or is it situational.

    Can I get an example how would you play this class, in melee and out of melee?

    Regards
    Especially with a monk level and decent physical stats, a Druid can do decent melee damage in basic form. The beast forms have the advantage of control, however. I tend to use Wild Shape a lot, but this is with a Rogue level for Athletics to grapple or shove opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

    "Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

    Hours later...

    "... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    what are the best beasts out there at 1/4 1/2 CR?

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Solovar View Post
    what are the best beasts out there at 1/4 1/2 CR?
    May I direct your attention to post two, specifically to the segment called 'On Beasts'.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook - My D&D 5th ed. Campaign Wiki

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    I think Magic Initiate is underrated. With the Wizard list you can get mage armor, blade ward, and fire bolt.

    Mage armor will improve the AC of most any beast without a negative dex mod, lasts 8 hours, and doesn't require concentration. Generally worse than barkskin but can be equivalent with some beasts and better with Flying Snake. Both can be active at the same time (you choose which has priority as per the SAC under "Character Creation"). Can still use a shield with it and you avoid the DM debate about beast-compatible humanoid armor.

    Blade ward is useful for 1st-round defense when you have to get past a bunch of minions to get to the BBEG. You can't attack that round (without a fighter dip) but it lasts until the end of your next turn.

    Fire bolt is a better ranged attack cantrip than the normal druid options.

    With a Warlock list you can get hex for damage improvement (not with multiattack actions though) and eldritch blast. Alternatively armor of agathys can buff low-HP critters but that's more useful in subterfuge campaigns. Unfortunately warlocks only get mage armor as an invocation.

    With a Ranger list you can get hunter's mark which increases your base attack damage so it's less likely to be resisted than hex but rangers don't get cantrips.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Euphonistan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: 5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post
    I think Magic Initiate is underrated. With the Wizard list you can get mage armor, blade ward, and fire bolt.

    Mage armor will improve the AC of most any beast without a negative dex mod, lasts 8 hours, and doesn't require concentration. Generally worse than barkskin but can be equivalent with some beasts and better with Flying Snake. Both can be active at the same time (you choose which has priority as per the SAC under "Character Creation"). Can still use a shield with it and you avoid the DM debate about beast-compatible humanoid armor.

    Blade ward is useful for 1st-round defense when you have to get past a bunch of minions to get to the BBEG. You can't attack that round (without a fighter dip) but it lasts until the end of your next turn.

    Fire bolt is a better ranged attack cantrip than the normal druid options.

    With a Warlock list you can get hex for damage improvement (not with multiattack actions though) and eldritch blast. Alternatively armor of agathys can buff low-HP critters but that's more useful in subterfuge campaigns. Unfortunately warlocks only get mage armor as an invocation.

    With a Ranger list you can get hunter's mark which increases your base attack damage so it's less likely to be resisted than hex but rangers don't get cantrips.
    I like magic initiate but I do not really like some of your choices for spells. For instance is your druid going to have much higher than normal int or cha? If not firebolt and EB actually will deal less damage than your typical druid cantrips due to accuracy issues. Some of the others are kind of niche or have similar issues.

    However I do agree that the feat itself is very nice.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •