New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Xykon birthplace and the OOTS's Master(Spoilers)

Reading through older comics - I started wondering about some hints that had been dropped, hopefully this has not been discussed to death already.

We know that Xykon developed his powers early, and most media where someone from modern earth travels to another one they often become the most important and powerful person around, this would account for Xykon's prestigious skill at such a young age - and also perhaps why he feels only limited connection to the world he finds himself in. It is possible that his parents were really foster parents that took him in and never treated him as a real child (perhaps fearful of the boy even before his powers developed - causing him to attach himself to Barky).

Secondly about the real masters of the OOTS - now we know that the order is nearly always entertaining, frequently aggressive and seems to sometimes operate from a logical perspective all of there own. In should they operate like some might expect aliens, cats or giants to behave. What if in fact that order is being controlled by giant ... space cats? What would the true goals of these beings be - and would they sit outside the universe controlling the OOTS like pawns (while the pawns do not know it), or would each member of the order represent a single cat.

I would wonder how these could be revealed into the comic itself without breaking the flow - as it would seem a difficult task, but one perhaps worth the effort.

For reference the old comic that got me thinking about this was of course this one from September 2004:

What if it is actually a list of spoilers rather than random ideas - the last idea mentioned has already come to pass, and we know that the Giant retains joke that he wants to tell for years (such as the Durkon turned undead one - which has become a major story point).

I don't think these are particularly likely but as a thought exercise it opens a lot of room to explore.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Xykon birthplace and the OOTS's Master(Spoilers)

On the off chance that this is meant seriously (it's the GITP forums, so you never know): "Earth will never show up."
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

I agree that Xykon was adopted, but disagree about the rest. Consider:

• Xykon is an immensely powerful being
    • one of which powers is the ability to fly
    • he's highly resistant to almost all forms of attack
    • he wears a blue outfit with a red cape
    • he has a Fortress of Solitude

Clearly Xykon is a space alien of the Kryptonian variety. His real name is possibly Xor-el. How he got to the OotS World is unknown. But this points the way to his ultimate defeat (anyone seen any glowing green rocks?).
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post

Clearly Xykon is a space alien of the Kryptonian variety. His real name is possibly Xor-el. How he got to the OotS World is unknown. But this points the way to his ultimate defeat (anyone seen any glowing green rocks?).
    Glowing...green...my gods! Roy's sword is made of kryptonite!

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My God, it all makes sense now!

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Snarl is really the internet, breaking through to the OOTS universe. The giant space cats? YouTube cat videos. Chaos indeed.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    We know that Xykon developed his powers early, and most media where someone from modern earth travels to another one they often become the most important and powerful person around, this would account for Xykon's prestigious skill at such a young age - and also perhaps why he feels only limited connection to the world he finds himself in. It is possible that his parents were really foster parents that took him in and never treated him as a real child (perhaps fearful of the boy even before his powers developed - causing him to attach himself to Barky).

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Glowing...green...my gods! Roy's sword is made of kryptonite!
    Aside from the whole Thulsa Doom look-a-like-ness casting doubt that Xykon could be from a modern earth for me, there was also this: Besides, the sword works on Sabine and undead tend to not be powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Secondly about the real masters of the OOTS - now we know that the order is nearly always entertaining, frequently aggressive and seems to sometimes operate from a logical perspective all of there own. In should they operate like some might expect aliens, cats or giants to behave. What if in fact that order is being controlled by giant ... space cats? What would the true goals of these beings be - and would they sit outside the universe controlling the OOTS like pawns (while the pawns do not know it), or would each member of the order represent a single cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    The Snarl is really the internet, breaking through to the OOTS universe. The giant space cats? YouTube cat videos. Chaos indeed.
    I would like to suggest that any space cats attempting to control a party in a DnD-inspired world have miniature giant space hamsters as their ultimate goal.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

[*] he wears a blue outfit with a red cape
    It's much more obvious in the twelfth panel.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Giant Space Cats are the ones making up the rules so that human commoners can be killed by cats so easily. It all makes sense now!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The Giant Space Cats are the ones making up the rules so that human commoners can be killed by cats so easily. It all makes sense now!
    So he was the true power in Azure City, after all.