New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Life and Times at East Marshall High - IC Thread II: A Song of Freaks and Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Astrid crosses her arms irritably, but chuckles a little as well. "'I'm off my game tonight. Trust me, I'm normally much better at this. Shame about those ascetic vows of yours'" she says with raised eyebrows at Cailin, "'or else I could give you a demonstration directly. Guess we'll have to wait for some other fine, strapping gentleman to come along...'" She takes the last remark as a segue to cast a look over at Kohana, hoping to catch his eye.
    Robert shifted in his chair a bit and took a sip of soda before getting back into character with a small chuckle, "They are not all that bad, to be honest. Mine merely forbid me from indulging in excess or extremes. That includes both pleasure and misery. In my travels, I have heard of other orders that are far more strict. Vows of Chastity, Vows of Silence, Vows of Poverty... compared to them, Hawkpoint Monastery is probably a place of debauchery."

Robert gives a shrug to Becca, "Hey, gotta justify not taking those feats somehow."
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-02-20 at 09:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Life and Times at East Marshall High - IC Thread II: A Song of Freaks and Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    Robert shifted in his chair a bit and took a sip of soda before getting back into character with a small chuckle, "They are not all that bad, to be honest. Mine merely forbid me from indulging in excess or extremes. That includes both pleasure and misery. In my travels, I have heard of other orders that are far more strict. Vows of Chastity, Vows of Silence, Vows of Poverty... compared to them, Hawkpoint Monastery is probably a place of debauchery."
    So wait if your character comes down with depression, he fails in his oaths? Becca replied astonished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"So there is no mechanical disbenefit to your character having sex with another?" Claire adds curiously.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    So wait if your character comes down with depression, he fails in his oaths? Becca replied astonished.
    "It's a little more complicated than that," Robert says, "It's more like the Buddhist concept of 'the Middle Way'. The idea is beasically that just as excessive pleasure and self-indulgence is bad for you, so is self-mortification and intentional suffering, and thus it's moderation that is the path to Enlightenment, not any one extreme. That's definitely an oversimplification of the concept, but considering I'm making up the exact limitations of his vows as I go, it serves as a nice guideline."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis Dread View Post
    "So there is no mechanical disbenefit to your character having sex with another?" Claire adds curiously.
    I will impose penalties, if we start offending the sensibilities of other players. Becca added.

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    "It's a little more complicated than that," Robert says, "It's more like the Buddhist concept of 'the Middle Way'. The idea is beasically that just as excessive pleasure and self-indulgence is bad for you, so is self-mortification and intentional suffering, and thus it's moderation that is the path to Enlightenment, not any one extreme. That's definitely an oversimplification of the concept, but considering I'm making up the exact limitations of his vows as I go, it serves as a nice guideline."
    Fair enough. Becca added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis Dread View Post
    "Well, technically no, but he does have restrictions on how often he can do it, and what he can and cannot do when he does so. It's not really going to matter anyways, because I don't think he's the type to be indulging himself during a quest anyways."
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-02-20 at 10:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

RedKnightGirl

"I cannot refute that logic," Claire admitted. Mostly because she did not understand it. These were not the same conditions Robert himself had were they? And monks only had to remain Lawful. While sex was a somewhat Chaotic act it shouldn't result in an alignment change. Then again there was no mechanical benefit to having sex. She could understand not risking it in that case.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, the joys of not having to worry about someone wanting to bang a mantis," Sakuya laughs as the discussion moves towards the inevitable.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

9. - Top - End - #69

"I'm not even sure that'd be possible with human sex organs, Sakuya" Jill says, wrinkling her nose. "Plus there's the whole, you know, biting off the head and eating it thing."
    Last edited by Amaril; 2015-02-20 at 10:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

"If either side wanted to, they could make it work, and that's not enough to dissuade someone."

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Wait, so Thri-kreen really do that?"

No wonder Sakuya wanted to play one...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Ha ha. No. At least not as far as I can tell. They form only small tribes, so I imagine mate consumption would be a bit unpopular."

Show

13. - Top - End - #73

As I recall, they prefer the flesh of elves, when they do eat sapients, but hopefully, ours doesn't like that kind of thing.

Maya speaks out of character there.

(OOC: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index....tle=Thri-kreen )
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2015-02-20 at 11:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Well there is a difference between enjoying the flavor and acting on that impulse."

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    As I recall, they prefer the flesh of elves, when they do eat sapients, but hopefully, ours doesn't like that kind of thing.

Maya speaks out of character there.

(OOC: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index....tle=Thri-kreen )
    "Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem... though I don't think we actually have any full-blooded elves in our party. I could be mistaken, though."

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    "Well there is a difference between enjoying the flavor and acting on that impulse."
    "Let me guess, elves are like candy: delicious, but eat too many and you get diabetes."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sakuya smiles, looking off thoughtfully. "Yeah... Something like that..."

Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Jill raises a pensive eyebrow. "That...actually makes a weird amount of sense. Huh."

18. - Top - End - #78

RedKnightGirl

"I would like to remind Sakuya that being descended from a nymph does not make one taste like elf," Claire felt the need to point out. "Though I suppose eating my character would require subduing her. That seems unlikely..."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

One insightful statement does not a savant make.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #80

I think it's more pragmatic then that. Thri Kreen don't eat elves because however tasty they may be, some elves have class levels. Lots of them. Often arcane caster class levels. It's not a good idea to eat someone whose next of kin is a wizard who can find out you did it and then fireball your whole tribe to death. Kind of a loss for the entire race, that. Even the bartender our thri kreen may be tempted to munch on could have unknown levels of fighter, barbarian, rogue, bard...who knows? The book does say it's got nothing to do with morality.

Maya shrugs, what else was there to say.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Well, by that logic, nobody should go out adventuring. I mean, look at the orcs we just killed. What amount of levels do their extended family have to bring on us? It's the risk you take, no matter what you are doing or for what morality.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #82

Favored class for Elf is Wizard. Favored Class for Orc is Barbarian. Barbarian are bad, Wizards...are much worse.

Meddle not in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. Then again, the second half of that phrase is 'meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup, and that's exactly the quest we're on. So hey. Risk is risk.

Maya again shrugs.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

They have shamans too. Magic isn't limited to elves. Less common maybe, but every tribe is gonna have at least one shaman... Hmm, that might be a good song title. Village Shaman.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #84

...The orcs met their witch doctor and this is what he said...?

Most people have heard the witch doctor song...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"Why are people assuming I am dumb enough to actually pick a fight with someone stronger than my class? I know how powerful casters are. Of course, many of them forget that crit happens, and they only have a d4."

Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, Probably not. I mean, it works for the Chipmunks, but I think the <Shield Maidens> need something a bit more serious.

Nonetheless, in her notebook labeled 'Song ideas" you see her write down, Village Shaman.

In the margin a while later you see the words "Oo Ee Oo La La, Ting Tang, Walla Walla Bing Bang."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Jill raises a pensive eyebrow. "That...actually makes a weird amount of sense. Huh."
    Robert blinked, "Huh... I guess it did. I was mostly joking."

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Well, by that logic, nobody should go out adventuring. I mean, look at the orcs we just killed. What amount of levels do their extended family have to bring on us? It's the risk you take, no matter what you are doing or for what morality.
    "Damn, that was good. Mind if I steal it?" Robert took out a piece of paper and wrote down what Suki said, "With a bit of rewording, I could probably use it as one of Cailin's 'words of wisdom'. I'm running out of cliches to quote."

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    "Why are people assuming I am dumb enough to actually pick a fight with someone stronger than my class? I know how powerful casters are. Of course, many of them forget that crit happens, and they only have a d4."
    "Well, I assume it has something to do with your class. Isn't picking fights with things bigger than them the entire point of a barbarian?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Anyways, we have the dragon's location. Let us rest, regain spells, and depart at daybreak. We'll head straight to the dragon.

Time was marching on, and there was only so much more time before the game was over, after all.

29. - Top - End - #89

"'Yeah, good plan'" Jill agrees, slipping back into character. Standing up from her chair, she has Astrid stifle another yawn. "'I'm going to bed now. If I stay down here longer I'll end up ordering drinks, and facing a dragon hung over does not sound like a fun thing to do. Sweet dreams, everybody!'" Breaking character again, she sits back down and settles in to watch the rest of the scene.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

"Nah, that comes later once I take Frenzied Berserker. Then I stub my toe and that's reason enough to rip out someone's spine."

Show