New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Cancer Cell or Hunter Roadtrip, nWoD campaign help

If your my players:

Spoiler: If your not read on
    Show
    Ill be STing a fairly odd campaign in the near future, each of the players will be starting off as a normal everyday human, and all but one will become a different kind of supernatural creature, a Werewolf, a Vampire, a Changeling, and a Geist, the last will be a Hunter. Now as these changes will occur during the campaign they will all technically still be "Hunters". Obviously this is gonna have some problems, mostly the Werewolf (freakin Lunacy) but i should be able to deal with those (though recommendations are always appreciated)

What im primarily here for is help creating the nasties they will be fighting, the "Prologue" Mission will basically be me ripping off Alan Wake (thankfully im the only one whose played) and them having their nice vacation screwed up by a Creature of Darkness (gonna call it a Demon for now). Im thinking of turning this into their Yellow Eyed Demon, as after the first mission they're gonna go all Supernatural on this and drive around America dealing with nasty critters, (I love Monster of the Week style games) so ill probably be back here for other creature ideas.

So for right now im gonna need a hand creating the Taken, which will be the bulk of what their gonna be dealing with. Instead of it just being an "Entity" that can apparently have limitless minions, the Dark Presence is gonna have a bunch of Shadow Imps that possess corpses and look like Gremlins made of darkness when not controlling a body. Powers otherwise will be the same as in Alan Wake and the Dark Presence will be a Greater Demon that is possessing Cauldron Lake.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2015-02-15 at 08:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Cancer Cell or Hunter Roadtrip, nWoD campaign help

Ok i have something vaguely resembling a plot. The PCs will come to Bright Falls as normal Mortals who are on vacation, and while camping in the hills outside of town Alice Wake is going to stumble into their camp. She is going to be babbling about a "witch in a lake" and "something having her husband", she will be wet and quite hysterical. Now the PCs will most likely offer to take her to town (cell reception is garbage where they are) and as they make it about half-way to Stucky's gas station an "abnormally strong wind gust" is going to blow a power line pole over blocking the road, so they'll have to proceed on foot. Que Taken. After a running fight to the gas station things will pretty much follow Alan Wake, except that the party will be helping Alice instead of Alan.

Now im gonna change the Dark Presence from a Demon to the Origin of All Monsters, as it twists the things people create near it and feeds off their fear. This is where all the Supernatural creatures originate from, they all, at one time, were simple creations of the Dark Presence.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Ok i have something vaguely resembling a plot. The PCs will come to Bright Falls as normal Mortals who are on vacation, and while camping in the hills outside of town Alice Wake is going to stumble into their camp. She is going to be babbling about a "witch in a lake" and "something having her husband", she will be wet and quite hysterical. Now the PCs will most likely offer to take her to town (cell reception is garbage where they are) and as they make it about half-way to Stucky's gas station an "abnormally strong wind gust" is going to blow a power line pole over blocking the road, so they'll have to proceed on foot. Que Taken. After a running fight to the gas station things will pretty much follow Alan Wake, except that the party will be helping Alice instead of Alan.

Now im gonna change the Dark Presence from a Demon to the Origin of All Monsters, as it twists the things people create near it and feeds off their fear. This is where all the Supernatural creatures originate from, they all, at one time, were simple creations of the Dark Presence.
    So, it's not going to be just a corpse-possessor anymore? It's going to inhabit anything people create? So... is it restricted to things that appear living? Or that have animate parts? Or, could it say, inhabit a previously-not-working cellphone? Are there any limits, or is this not the direction you were going?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gritmonger View Post
    So, it's not going to be just a corpse-possessor anymore? It's going to inhabit anything people create? So... is it restricted to things that appear living? Or that have animate parts? Or, could it say, inhabit a previously-not-working cellphone? Are there any limits, or is this not the direction you were going?
    Well it can possess objects, though im pretty sure they have to be "unattended", at least thats what im getting from the game, as it like to possess barrels and chuck them at you.

As for the "possessing creations" thing, im not sure if i said that right. When people create things, like artwork, music, stories etc, near this thing, it twists them and uses them for its own ends. So if someone writes a story about a Dragon, it may go and make a Dragon out of Darkness, but it has to follow the rules that the writer set down. Now this doesnt mean that it cant find a loophole if you left it one.

Did you play Alan Wake? Cuz this is a lot easier to understand if you did, and im pretty sure im not explaining this properly (the Dark Presence is really hard to explain) This page has a list of its powers, and thats what im going off of.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

So, it can take over creations (trucks, tractors, etc.) and/or throw them, and/or manifest within the confines of a creative work, or in the blank, unwritten spaces within that world.

Why am I suddenly thinking of trapping it in a mad-lib?

Or have a mad-lib as part of the plot?

I would question how it manifests in artwork, or sculpture - is it able to put on the form of a painting or sculpture as a form of Taken? Does it essentially commission these monsters as creative works at first, to manifest them in the world?

Hieronymus Bosch comes to mind... as any number of other persons tormented by visions. Appearing in nightmares, maybe people take these visions and put them down in some form to trap them in the real world, remove some of their power (putting them to a solid form rather than a nebulous, unquantifiable presence in the mind) - but unknowingly (by trying to limit a dark presence) provide it with a scaffold to the real world...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gritmonger View Post
    Hieronymus Bosch comes to mind... as any number of other persons tormented by visions. Appearing in nightmares, maybe people take these visions and put them down in some form to trap them in the real world, remove some of their power (putting them to a solid form rather than a nebulous, unquantifiable presence in the mind) - but unknowingly (by trying to limit a dark presence) provide it with a scaffold to the real world...
    Pretty much this, its a crafty little bugger, so it drives them nuts so they finally draw the thing, thinking it will make things better, but in reality they just made things worse.
    Show