The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bitchy PC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Bitchy PC

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:20 PM.
    Who's that girl?
    It's empy!
    (Yeah call me empy, and also I am not actually female)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:18 PM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not gonna lie, this thread is extremely entertaining to read.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I would also be mad if I had to jump through hoops just to get a piddly 1st level spell and an unreliable attack mode. Slaying Godzilla should be enough, but for some reason I'm required to go do something that is almost guaranteed to derail the campaign and get me killed.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

So. Anyone got an ACTUAL bitchy PC story? And again; are we actually allowed to say "bitchy?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    So. Anyone got an ACTUAL bitchy PC story? And again; are we actually allowed to say "bitchy?"
    What about like, a Vichy PC? Like a PC that is part of a puppet government that supports an invading fascist force?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

And uses foreign bayonets to force his downtrodden countrymen to drink his hometown's tonic water? I could go for a story like that. Anyone got one?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kellbyb View Post
    2. Don't get caught flat-footed - death attack requires 3 full rounds of undetected observation. Pump up listen and spot, or invest in special vision such as blindsense, blindsight, or tremorsense.
    Not only that, uncanny dodge negates all sneak attacks except ones that are achieved via flanking, or feinting. And it can be taken with a single feat, shape soulmeld (impulse boots). Get improved uncanny dodge and you're pretty much immune to death attack from anyone, because only pure rogues of 4 levels higher than your combined uncanny dodge classes can overcome it, meaning if it's an assassin, that doesn't add to their rogue levels for that purpose.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

what about computers that are acting up on you? mine seemingly has a problem with my favourite Lets Players' website and refuses to play any video resized until I tinker with the video's resolution.

And it only happens on their site. Not youtube, not vimeo, not my anime site. Just theirs.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

What you did wrong was to require stupid **** to become an Assassin in the first place. "Fluff requirements" are unnecessary and should be removed from prcs.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, this thread is extremely entertaining to read.
    Agreed.

So. Anyone got an ACTUAL ... PC story?
    Yes, I had a friend attempt to DM at one point and since he was concerned I would be too powerful if I made my own character, he made a character for me, and only me. It was a Swashbuckler, who was nowhere close to WBL, with poor stat allocation and the backstory was handed to me by the DM.

He was once a pirate-king, terrifying ruler of the seas with his band of merciless cutthroats until some powerful magic-users locked away all his power with an arcane ritual or something. So he was generally pissed at the world, and ineffective at most things. So, I decided to play him as just such a PC.

Every town we'd come to would be described as impressive buildings, perfectly cut from marble or whatnot and my PC would say things like "In all my travels across the seven seas and six continents, never have I seen such a barbaric place! Devoid of the principles of civilization!" and things along those lines. Which, ticked off the residents. I also made it into a running gag that the numbers of seas and continents were never consistent.

So at some point, my PC accused an important NPC of being uncivilized and rude and started just going on and on, ranting. So the the NPC basically used Modify Memory (but as a DM fiat spell, because we didn't know it existed at the time). This kind of thing started to happen kind of frequently.

Standing before the king I started to do the same kind of thing because my PC took imagined offense at something that was said. I shifted to conceal what I was doing, grabbed my rapier and locked my locked gauntlet on it and drew it to call the king out to a duel to let me defend my honor or something. He disarmed me with some magic wind or something, which got my PC complaining loudly at how his locked gauntlet was defective. So our party warlock asked if he could Shatter them for fun, and my PC let him, since he was ticked they didn't serve their intended function. So the king got tired of these antics and decided to start over, using modify memory to wipe my mind of the last few minutes. So my character immediately realizes his locked gauntlet is destroyed and starts complaining loudly and blaming the king, because his companions wouldn't have done that to him. "I've traveled the four seas and all thirty-seven continents and never have I come across such an uncivilized king who would break the possessions of his guests!" and on and on it went.

Eventually, we got in a pretty tough fight and my character got really hurt and our Evil Cleric decided to mercy kill me instead of healing me, and nobody seemed to mind, (though my antics usually got laughs from the other players) but the game ended and I didn't get to bring in another character.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2015-02-18 at 03:00 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Agreed.

Yes, I had a friend attempt to DM at one point and since he was concerned I would be too powerful if I made my own character, he made a character for me, and only me. It was a Swashbuckler, who was nowhere close to WBL, with poor stat allocation and the backstory was handed to me by the DM.

-Snip-.
    This story made me start laughing so hard then I just broke into a giggle fit. You sir are a True Pirate Lord.
    Last edited by Thatwarforged; 2015-02-18 at 03:06 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't seem like such a difficult requirement for your average evil PC - the day you leave town, shank a random peasant in an alley.

As for bitchy players, I'm sorry to say I might qualify. I do not react well when the GM throws what looks like an impending TPK at us. (Which he's done twice so far. Once we ran, once we legitimately won, to my immense surprise. It helped that Cloakers can't moan with their mouths full.)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Amusing story about a terrible DM.
    Show
    Agreed.

He was once a pirate-king, terrifying ruler of the seas with his band of merciless cutthroats until some powerful magic-users locked away all his power with an arcane ritual or something. So he was generally pissed at the world, and ineffective at most things. So, I decided to play him as just such a PC.

Every town we'd come to would be described as impressive buildings, perfectly cut from marble or whatnot and my PC would say things like "In all my travels across the seven seas and six continents, never have I seen such a barbaric place! Devoid of the principles of civilization!" and things along those lines. Which, ticked off the residents. I also made it into a running gag that the numbers of seas and continents were never consistent.

So at some point, my PC accused an important NPC of being uncivilized and rude and started just going on and on, ranting. So the the NPC basically used Modify Memory (but as a DM fiat spell, because we didn't know it existed at the time). This kind of thing started to happen kind of frequently.

Standing before the king I started to do the same kind of thing because my PC took imagined offense at something that was said. I shifted to conceal what I was doing, grabbed my rapier and locked my locked gauntlet on it and drew it to call the king out to a duel to let me defend my honor or something. He disarmed me with some magic wind or something, which got my PC complaining loudly at how his locked gauntlet was defective. So our party warlock asked if he could Shatter them for fun, and my PC let him, since he was ticked they didn't serve their intended function. So the king got tired of these antics and decided to start over, using modify memory to wipe my mind of the last few minutes. So my character immediately realizes his locked gauntlet is destroyed and starts complaining loudly and blaming the king, because his companions wouldn't have done that to him. "I've traveled the four seas and all thirty-seven continents and never have I come across such an uncivilized king who would break the possessions of his guests!" and on and on it went.

Eventually, we got in a pretty tough fight and my character got really hurt and our Evil Cleric decided to mercy kill me instead of healing me, and nobody seemed to mind, (though my antics usually got laughs from the other players) but the game ended and I didn't get to bring in another character.
    That's a pretty awesome story. As much as I despise a DM telling someone what kind of character they are going to play, let alone actually handing them a prebuilt character with no say in anything, at least you got an interesting backstory. I would have walked immediately, but I am glad you didn't. Someday I'm going to steal this backstory and character concept.
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CGNefarious View Post
    That's a pretty awesome story. As much as I despise a DM telling someone what kind of character they are going to play, let alone actually handing them a prebuilt character with no say in anything, at least you got an interesting backstory. I would have walked immediately, but I am glad you didn't. Someday I'm going to steal this backstory and character concept.
    It wasn't as bad as that. He told me straightforwardly that he was concerned that I'd be too powerful if I was left to build a character on my own, so he was going to build a character for me instead, and quite frankly, I appreciated his honesty in the matter so much that I was happy to oblige. I didn't complain when the character was pretty janky either, I just ran with it and tried to make it fun. It worked for me, though I think he wasn't prepared for me to be quite so disruptive in-character.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    This story made me start laughing so hard then I just broke into a giggle fit. You sir are a True Pirate Lord.
    May I sig this?
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2015-02-18 at 03:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah go ahead. You have my full blessing.

The only thing I can contribute to this is not really a story about a bad character but a bad player playing the game like a video game.
    He always played a wizard, always (He is the reason why my death rule is that when you die and roll a new character it cannot be of the same class or race (Except human) as your previous character.). So when someone in the group did anything he did not like even if it was making fun of how he played a drunken elf wizard, he would stab their character and forcing a actual battle. Of the 7 or 8 times his characters died I only killed him once the rest of the time he forced the party to kill him when he just sat their stabbing them. If he wasn't first to the loot he would through down some kind of area/terrain effect (It was 4e so he only wasted some of his resource in his eyes) when I was absent another player decided to pick up the game from were it was left off and gave a party of 3rd level characters 10th level items. When I toke the goodies away the Wizard threw a fit and then tried to kill the subs DM character.
    After a failed attempt at a mini boss were I fiat and fudged rolls to allow the tank and healer to escape, they rested and went to fight the mini boss again in which the party spent 30 minutes or so coming up with a strategy the wizard was playing on his phone after I told him to stop and listen. Then when I asked if everyone was ready and in the positions they wanted to be in, the player did not want to be in the spot they had set him, and if he moved the party would be swarmed by enemies instead of fightning two at a time. He got peaved that I told him not to move his character and he started repeating this is D&D I can do whatever I want. That's when I let him have it. One of the few times I've raised my voice in the party, I pretty much told him that D&D is about Teamwork and is a social game and if you wanted to play like a arse monkey that he should just go home and play halo reach and grand theft auto. He picked up and left the table and he was never invited again.
    Last edited by Thatwarforged; 2015-02-18 at 03:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Agreed.

LOL!

I think this is the best reaction to an incompetent DM I have ever seen. I truly wish I had your wits or your patience good sir!
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    My PC insists that the book has power over me not the other way around. Ps in DND I do have a god complex since My original PC ascended to god hood after getting the last hit on orcus and haveing over 100,000 worshipers. and now I'm DM soo... yeah.
    Like it's been said if, it is kind of assume you are going to use the rule and good form to set out house rule where players can see/know about. But then again you can keep your god complex and I wouldn't blame your players for voting with their feet.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
    I'm DM and one of my PC's doesn't understand that he's not in control. I need help to tell him that even if it's in the book it doesn't make it so... I MAKE IT SO!!! Every time I tell him this it just goes right over his head help!
    I think that the problem might lie in your attitude.
    Thanks for Zefir for the custom avatar.

20. - Top - End - #50

I have a story about a bitchy player I could share.

As for bitchy pcs, I've played a few.

FWI, I agree with the assassin requirement ruling. Killing someone you were going to kill anyway doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by Mystral; 2015-02-18 at 05:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Spamalot in the Playground

It wasn't as bad as that. He told me straightforwardly that he was concerned that I'd be too powerful if I was left to build a character on my own, so he was going to build a character for me instead, and quite frankly, I appreciated his honesty in the matter so much that I was happy to oblige. I didn't complain when the character was pretty janky either, I just ran with it and tried to make it fun. It worked for me, though I think he wasn't prepared for me to be quite so disruptive in-character.
    I'm glad you got a good story out of it but to me this was just cowardly of your DM. If I were truly concerned that you would go gonzo with a more powerful class, and for some brain-addled reason I didn't know/trust you well enough to not do that, I would have picked a sublist of classes for you to choose from, and then come up with a backstory based on what you felt like playing. And if there were another (first-party) class outside of that list that was similar in power to the ones I'd selected, I would evaluate it fairly even though it wasn't in the initial grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #54

Flumph

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:08 PM.
    Formerly known as Stu42.

Beguiler beguilers beguiler beguilers beguile beguile beguiler beguilers.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aspekt View Post
    {scrubbed}
    Malodorous Funk would be an excellent troglodyte band name.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Malodorous Funk would be an excellent troglodyte band name.
    I don't know. You might say, it's a bit too on the nose.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    I don't know. You might say, it's a bit too on the nose.
    One thing's for sure - their beats aren't exactly fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, guys? Personal insults are not cool.

To the OP, I would try to be a little more cooperative in your attitude. Not, "Okay, whatever you want," but try to hear out his reasoning, and make sure your reasoning goes further than, "But that would make the next encounter too easy."

Because if that last is your reason, what you should do is honestly say, "I'm sorry, but I have realized that the Assassin PrC has a power that makes it hard for me to write reasonable challenges for the game without no-selling your class. If you would like to rebuild or make a new character, you may, but I am not going to allow Assassin after all."

Never use the rules to justify disallowing something when they are not your reason for disallowing it.

If "you must kill an innocent" is reflective of the assassin's guild assigning him a person to kill as an initiation ritual, that's one thing. But your stated reason tells me that you really just shouldn't be allowing the PrC. And in that case, you should be honest to yourself and your player about it.

I am not saying you're being deliberately deceptive; this is a trap many DMs fall into. I'm saying that this is a trap, and that you need to become aware of it; climb out of it now, and avoid it in the future. You're learning; everybody always is.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

The Winged Mod: Closed for review.

EDIT: Thread has now devolved into accusations and derailment into unrelated topics. Closed permanently.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-02-18 at 11:23 PM.