New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Why hasn't V taken spell penetration yet?

Seriously? S/he is constantly complaining about spell resistance. If S/he took (greater) spell pen, this should mean most of the spells s/he casts would get through.

Is this something to do with V's supposedly poor wizard build? (I personally like the idea of blaster wizards, even if they aren't optimized.)
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Why hasn't V taken spell penetration yet?

The number of opponents that V faces with any sort of magical resistance are surprisingly few. Plus, spell penetration doesn't guarantee that you will get past the spell resistance. When facing an opponent like Z who has specifically built around that to fight someone, you still end up with an uphill battle.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Vaarsuvius has five feats unaccounted for - she very well might have (Greater) Spell Penetration, and just keeps flubbing the caster level check. Or he just keeps forgetting to take it until after.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2015-02-18 at 08:09 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The number of opponents that V faces with any sort of magical resistance are surprisingly few. Plus, spell penetration doesn't guarantee that you will get past the spell resistance. When facing an opponent like Z who has specifically built around that to fight someone, you still end up with an uphill battle.
    Just less uphill

And sure, they meet less people with spell resistance. But it just seems that it's at the more critically important times where s/he meets people with it. See---> the siege on azure city. If the disintegrate spell on the death knight went through, then the soldiers wouldn't have died, and they may have held the breach.

It just seems odd for a blaster wizard not to have spell pen
    "We can curse it or nurse it and give it a name"

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrMercury View Post
    Just less uphill

And sure, they meet less people with spell resistance. But it just seems that it's at the more critically important times where s/he meets people with it. See---> the siege on azure city. If the disintegrate spell on the death knight went through, then the soldiers wouldn't have died, and they may have held the breach.

It just seems odd for a blaster wizard not to have spell pen
    As Yuki pointed out above, he may very well have it and just not announced it. It doesn't automatically mean that you can overcome any spell resistance, and it wouldn't create a visual change in his magic either.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

See---> the siege on azure city. If the disintegrate spell on the death knight went through, then the soldiers wouldn't have died, and they may have held the breach.
    1. The DK killed the enhanced soldiers before the disintegrate. He had time to kill a dozen (fourteen actually) additional guards though.
    2. Since it didn't work, we somehow know that disintegrate was used because it wouldn't work.
    3. Would a successful disintegrate have been sufficent to kill the DK? If not, he may have had time to kill the thirteen "young" guards. Not sure if the DK would had poor fortitude saves since he's undead.
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-02-19 at 07:58 AM. Reason: oops
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

7. - Top - End - #7

Just less uphill

Then something else would have stopped Vaarsuvius from instantly killing the death knight. Like the death knight making his fortitude save the same way Hinjo and Roy do at other points. Or Vaarsuvius would have instantly killed it, and the comic would have continued without the punchline regarding the dragon head.

The soldiers wouldn't have held the breach, because they would have still retreated. Only 14 troops died to that blast from the death knight. That would not have held the breach any better against the thousands of hobgoblins. There was no way ANY number was going to hold it against thousands of troops. Pure physics would have forced the soldiers back.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Giant doesn't roll dice before each encounter as he writes the story, you know,

I joke, but to make a point. Well, two points. The first is rather self-evident. If V is going to fail at something in battle, nothing he has on his character sheet is going to help him. He might be able to get in a good rant about how the laws of probability are making a mockery of his feat selection, but that'd be about it. Or he would just end up facing people where his mooted (G)SP wouldn't be enough. GSP only gives one a +4 cumulative to the check, after all.

The second point is, V is learing that lusting after MOAR DAKKA isn't necessarily the path he should be following. Therefore he might look toward making his magic more utilitarian in nature rather than "Make Sure Mah Fireball Gets Through". Now an argument could certanly be made that (G)SP does help him in that regard. But it's the why he would get it that would be important. If he got it because he thought it would make him more useful in the support role he seems to want to carve out for himself lately, that's one thing. It could be a sign of character growth (thus allowing a story reason for to be put in by Rich [while still allowing, as I noted above, for the possibilty for failure]).

OTOH, if it's to make sure that he proves his mastery over everyone else, and his magic truly is supreme, rather less so.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-02-18 at 12:55 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

This thread is moot. V can take her next feat at 18th level. 18th level is far enough away that the story will probably be resolved before she reaches it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Let's be honest here. If the thing has spell resistance that affects the story, V will roll a 1 every time that the spell resistance is important to prevent a spell from happening for the story and V will roll a 20 every time that it's important a spell work properly for the story.

God The Giant does not play dice.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    This thread is moot. V can take her next feat at 18th level. 18th level is far enough away that the story will probably be resolved before she reaches it.
    The question is not "why doesn't V take spell penetration at level 18?", luckily, but "why hasn't he yet?".
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Even if Vaarsuvius has, I doubt it would help, especially against Zz'dtri. In general, the plot moves to make sure the Vaarsuvius doesn't win all the time, and that involves making it so that they cannot overcome spell penetration or they would lose in some other way. Zz'dtri, who has built himself so that he has massive Spell Resistance, probably wouldn't care.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    The question is not "why doesn't V take spell penetration at level 18?", luckily, but "why hasn't he yet?".
    I doubt that V has gotten a feat-gaining level since facing off with Z.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    I doubt that V has gotten a feat-gaining level since facing off with Z.
    Which time? V's latest faceoff with Zz'dtri wasn't the first, nor was it V's first encounter against an enemy with spell resistance.

The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maybe (s)he has Spell Penetration (and even Greater Spell Penetration). Maybe not. We don't know for sure.

I believe, as others have said, that the point of the question is moot, because (s)he will fail any check the story needs failed and succed in any check the story needs succeded, no matter what feats (s)he has.

The presence (or absence) of SP (GSP) could only result in some comment like "Blasted Spell Resistance! Even with my SP, I can't beat it." or "If I had taken GSP..."

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Which time? V's latest faceoff with Zz'dtri wasn't the first, nor was it V's first encounter against an enemy with spell resistance.
    The latest one. Don't be purposely obtuse.

Sure, Z's not the only one with spell resistance, but there are lots of useful feats out there, and spell resistance hasn't come up that often.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's also worth considering that Vaarsuvius had every reason to consider Z gone for good after the lawyers dragged him away.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

*tries to make Will save against making immature jokes about 'penetration'*

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Two reasons:
    - One has been stated time and again: The OOTS members aren't well-optimized characters and never were meant to be.
    - For all we know, V has Spell Penetration; it changes nothing to the storytelling, so it changes nothing to which of V's spells will be resisted. If an enemy is meant to be a true challenge to V, then it will have high enough SR to resist a large portion of V's spells, irrespective of Spell Penetration. Why? Because otherwise, that enemy can't be a challenge, so the question is moot.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'm on the side of moot.

For one thing, if V did have Spell Penetration, it's not as if he announces it prior to casting. From a story-telling standpoint, that wouldn't scan very well for the lay reader. Your average non-D&D fan would say, "Spell penetration? That's a thing? Okay, fine ... so why didn't it help? Why didn't V win that battle just now, when he had the spell penetration thing? Why didn't he use it in that other battle? This comic makes no sense." Of course, the flip side is the D&D experts saying, "Why doesn't V have this or that feat? It would mean the difference between losing and winning!"

Well, no. No, it would not.

V is going to win the battles when the story says it is possible to win, and lose the battles when it is not yet time. Furthermore, V will win the battles in the manner that the storyteller proscribes, and not because of a particular feat, die roll, saving throw, or other game-related mechanism. Remember when V defeated Xykon with a familiar and Explosive Runes? Victory is based on what happens in the story, not what feats the characters have. Sure, Xykon wasn't "defeated" as in "utterly destroyed," but that's the point: all of their victories are on the story's terms, not on the game's terms. Announcing or elucidating Spell Penetration, as a storytelling device, would only muddy the waters.
    Last edited by Fish; 2015-02-26 at 01:41 AM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Furthermore, V will win the battles in the manner that the storyteller proscribes
    *prescribes. To proscribe is to forbid or outlaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    *prescribes. To proscribe is to forbid or outlaw.
    Yeah, that's Rich's problem with wizards, they get exactly where he doesn't want them to go
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-02-26 at 09:38 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Yeah, that's Rich's problem with wizards, they get exactly where he doesn't want them to go
    Vaarsuvious saves his family from the Ancient Black Dragon. Rich nods in agreement. Vaarsuvious announces he is going to take down Xykon. Rich looks down at the computer in horror, and starts scribbling, but it is too late. V teleports into the throne room, and Rich begins to sweat profusely and rapidly tries to think of a way to get his story back on track. Curse this uppity Wizard! How dare you go where Rich proscribes?

Of course, Rich still won that battle.