New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default EMPIRE! CWBG XIII: F5: Document Spirits F10: Summon Balepig, Keeper of Oaths

EMPIRE!
    Gods, Kings & Adventurers
    A Community World=Building Game by Morph Bark

Now officially celebrating its one-year anniversary!

Current Year: 501-505
    IC thread: click!
    Dice-Rolling thread: click!

NOTE:
    Every so often, the rules have small updates, marked in red. If you discover a hole in the rules, please report it so it can be looked into and taken care of. We try to make the rules as clear, solid and usable as they can be, so they don't need a GM to make rulings too often.

Welcome to EMPIRE! A game of gods, kings and adventurers. In this game, you will play a character, a ruler of a region. And once s/he dies, you will play their heir and so on, continuing on the family legacy. You scheme, discover and conquer your way towards becoming the most-remembered person in history. Respected, loved, feared.

This world will start as a simple one similar to the times of the Middle Ages, but through the actions of players and random events the scope of the world will expand, science marches on and magic may even be introduced. Magic is rare, though monsters may be abound in players’ regions, strange natural resources or the crafts of alchemy may be at their use and supernatural phenomena can take place.

Best beware if you want to ensure your legacy.

If you want to become a player and all regions are currently taken, don't worry. New regions can always be added in during play, and we can put you on the waiting list in the meantime if need be. If Empire interests you, but you don't want to play the game, you can always partake in the Freeform RP threads that are open to everyone, or even in its World-Building threads. See the list at the end of this post.

Be warned! This is primarily a game of world-building, but contains some strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times. It's all easy enough to understand once you've read through the rules, and GREAT fun to play in and talk with all your co-world-builders in this thread, but keep in mind that in the game itself, IC, it can be a very bumpy ride. Let us ask questions, help each other, communicate, cooperate, build and have fun OOC, even as we bash each other's brains in IC.

Also, if you have a question, and you can ask a player (about their region or people, for instance), ask them instead of the GM. If you can ask it in the thread, do that instead of via PM. The GM's PM inbox is regularly cleared and thus things can easily get lost, so try keep it to secret stuff and (IC) reactions to stuff you get in your own inbox.

Atlas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Below is the most current map of the known world. Here is a list of regions that has been claimed and by whom. It is slightly outdated, so if you aim to take over a certain region, it is always good to double-check in the main thread (this one) whether it is taken or not. It might even currently be in the process of being taken over by someone else. This is especially good advice to new players, because then you're more aware of the general situation of the area you'll be dropping into.

[Underground]

The Rules of the Game
    See this thread.

Game Masters
    Rulecrafter: Morph Bark

Head GM: QuintonBeck

GM Team: Aedilred, TheWombatOfDoom, WaylanderX

~ ~ GM Data Collection ~ ~
    All the information on rulers & regions

See this thread for all records of rulers, population, military, agents, technologies, etc.

See this GoogleDoc for all records on resources and trade.

New Player Tips and Advice (Morph)

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (Wombat)

Extra Player Resources (For the Players, By the Players)
    Heraldry Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Banner Generator
    Flag Generator (thanks, Logic!)
    Family Tree Builder (thanks, zabbarot!)

Should there be anything incorrect or not updated yet about any of the above tables it’s always possible that the GM or co-GM in charge of that has missed it. If so, please feel free to inform us with the proper, most updated information.

Fluff-Building Threads
    The following threads are purely for expanding on existing fluff or theorizing about the history or make-up of the world. Some of them are in-character role-play bits, some are projects for creating maps, others are quotes or excerpts from books.
    Pre-History (World-Building, pre-Year 1, pre-Year 330)
    Rajurdic Codex (Year 338+)
    Scrolls of Prowess (Year 349+)
    Bestiary of Telluris (Year 354+)
    Regional Maps (World-Building)
    Northern Hemisphere Star Map (World-Building)
    13 Swords of the True Jaaku Na (World-Building)

Previous Main Thread Incarnations
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2015-04-20 at 10:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XIII: F5: Document Spirits F10: Summon Balepig, Keeper of Oaths

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Well, he'll prolly end up 6 times longer. So...

With the square-cube law, what do we gotta do for it? The root of 6, and then the result to the power of 3? That would lead to a mass equivalent of 15 half-dragons at fully grown length.

If he were like a cube with one side six times as long, he'd be the equivalent in mass of 216 half-dragons.
    Even 15 dragons is pretty massive... To be honest, I'm not certain how many buildings he could fit into when dragon'd out.

Also, new thread smell. I like it.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! CWBG XIII: F5: Document Spirits F10: Summon Balepig, Keeper of Oaths

Even 15 dragons is pretty massive... To be honest, I'm not certain how many buildings he could fit into when dragon'd out.

Also, new thread smell. I like it.
    Hence my plans to Great Project a doom tower in the mountains for Nezetkhamun to chill out in when he's not attending to his globe-trotting Miracle Consultation business.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm here third! Also, I'm trying to grow my domain via aggression? Oh no! How horrid! Whatever have I done! It's not like the denouncer works for the largest military and territory on the planet who waged a massive war for a tiny strip of holy land! Oh the humanity (or lack thereof, seeing as humans are a minority in this game)!

Disclaimer: this is not a threat or hostile action. It is a joke.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-02-18 at 12:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quinton:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Correct. I'll add mine too - where do you want it?
    Penoccident; that's where the goats are coming from.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

As a request from someone who is diving deep into Trades soon, might I put out a heartfelt appeal that everyone check the Fluff Thread and make sure your trades are up to date, please and thank you?

I ask, partly because Snow and I are crazy, and partly because next Sunday, I will have several new regions (probably). Which means that I'll have more things to trade!

Speaking of (potential) new regions, TechnO, if you want to help with writing up regions still, I have a couple things I'd like done once Sunday rolls around and I get a confirmation of region acquisition!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BladeofObliviom said:
    I've only seen a character at anything resembling this level of absurdity thrive exactly once, and he/she/what-the-jongo had the advantage of being written by Gengy, who I look up to as a writer.

"What-the-Jongo?"
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!

Got me a Real Job™ (yay!). Still busy (boo!).
    ~avatar by myself

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    As a request from someone who is diving deep into Trades soon, might I put out a heartfelt appeal that everyone check the Fluff Thread and make sure your trades are up to date, please and thank you?

I ask, partly because Snow and I are crazy, and partly because next Sunday, I will have several new regions (probably). Which means that I'll have more things to trade!

Speaking of (potential) new regions, TechnO, if you want to help with writing up regions still, I have a couple things I'd like done once Sunday rolls around and I get a confirmation of region acquisition!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...o1U/edit#gid=0

It's more up-to-date.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I put all my fixes to my trades in my action post under non-actions, so they should all be fixed next round.
    YouTube channel:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

who is the keeper of that list? There are a couple of clean-up items I need done. I'll PM the keeper.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM View Post
    Hence my plans to Great Project a doom tower in the mountains for Nezetkhamun to chill out in when he's not attending to his globe-trotting Miracle Consultation business.
    Gotta have somewhere to lay that gargantuan behind...

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    who is the keeper of that list? There are a couple of clean-up items I need done. I'll PM the keeper.
    Aed, I believe.

Also, pro point to H-T for the fluff... I can't wait to see Marching Orders developed a tad more.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Aed, I believe. :
    It is indeed me. If anyone has any corrections it would be great if you could link the appropriate actions where the trade/cancellation in question was done, since as I've discovered in the past people often think they've done things that they haven't with respect to trades.

I will also reiterate for the general audience that each round I publish the trade updates on this thread and that's what I use to action the changes to the table, so if you've done any trading in a given round it really is worthwhile having a look at that to make sure your trades are being centrally recorded and correctly, as it's the central records that get used to determine if resource requirements are being met, for both technologies and population. Making corrections on a round-by-round basis is a lot easier for everyone than having to hunt through subactions that are potentially several rounds old.

For Gengy/Snow, I should note that the trades in my region post are quite a way out of date - I probably stopped updating them around the time I took over doing all the trades, I think. I might update them, but don't hold your breath: my trades as I understand them are on the spreadsheet.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    For Gengy/Snow, I should note that the trades in my region post are quite a way out of date - I probably stopped updating them around the time I took over doing all the trades, I think. I might update them, but don't hold your breath: my trades as I understand them are on the spreadsheet.
    We used the spreadsheet data, never fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Philote View Post
    Hey Moos, I just wanted to let you know that I didn't mean to hurt your plans. I chose a blank region to start in basically at random and with zero knowledge of nearly all the empires in the game. I understand that it was bad luck for you how both Randolf and I came in so suddenly at the same time and in the same tightly packed area around your land. I hope there isn't too many hard feelings between us as the rounds progress. I would very much like to be able to work in cooperation to your land and I would be willing to work on any canal plans with you. I do not wish to be a nuisance and perhaps through working together I can make up for any plans I may have foiled by joining.
    Read my sig.

(Quick repost for visibility)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I am currently at work, and work computers prevent viewing of anything in google docs. Is that the most accurate and up to date version of the trade tables?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I am currently at work, and work computers prevent viewing of anything in google docs. Is that the most accurate and up to date version of the trade tables?
    It's pretty much the only truly up to date version of the trade tables. GitP's table system became unfit for purpose a while back.
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2015-02-18 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quinton, you should probably update the OP to include a link to the trade table, rather than the trade thread. And add in the [Project] thing in front of the name. (Editing the OP will give the option somewhere near the top.)
    YouTube channel:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfire View Post
    It's pretty much the only truly up to date version of the trade tables. GitP's table system became unfit for purpose a while back.
    And to this day I do not understand how to use it...

Also, while I'm here, can I use an f5 action to organize Atheism?
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-02-18 at 05:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gengy View Post
    I could potentially be of service...
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post
    Read my sig.
    Alright. My point about working together still stands.
    The Caramel Kingdom! Empire 1!

High Order of the Pran-El! Empire 2!

Superpower List + Forum

Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    I could potentially be of service...
    Also, if you have time I need help with region 146.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Also, if you have time I need help with region 146.
    I'm sorry - i missed something, is this a war? Because if it's still going next round I can send a chapter to fight with ya?

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm sorry - i missed something, is this a war? Because if it's still going next round I can send a chapter to fight with ya?
    War? What war? I'm just too lazy to write up that region myself. Why would there be a war?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

War? What war? I'm just too lazy to write up that region myself. Why would there be a war?
    Oh. I thought by 'help with' you meant 'colonize' or 'pacify' or somesuch.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-02-18 at 07:38 PM.

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

YouTube channel:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh. I thought by 'help with' you meant 'colonize' or 'pacify' or somesuch.

He doesn't have a nation, how would that work? Is he secretly playing as one of the gods?
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-02-18 at 07:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

He doesn't have a nation, how would that work? Is he secretly playing as one of the gods?
    You said a region, not a name.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Morph: Check your betrothals. Jack's the human who stays in Sycia, Aion's the wolfborn who leaves. We discussed this already
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-02-18 at 08:19 PM.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I copied it from our PMs, so I guess I copied it from an older one. Noticed that it also shouldna have been Tianshi, but Iulia. Got it right on the family tree, at least.
    YouTube channel:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh wow, whole new thread already half a day old.

On dragons, I'd be more interested in what Nezet could lift tbh. Can he pick up a warship?
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

QUESTION!

Can I change an action that had a failed roll?

Also, I don't like the forum dice. I try to pull a power play and then everything goes to heck.
    Last edited by moossabi; 2015-02-18 at 09:58 PM.