Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default AVB - He of the Long Wait

Thundercracker and DM ONLY please. These are meant to be private, after all.

You wander a bit until you enter Belelen Plaza in the Mage's Quarter. There is a magic shop selling various items of power on one side, while the rest of it appears to be residential, or at least as residential as a large collection of spellcasters gets. A small sign above a narrow alley reads "Home of the Arcane Order".
    Back from the honeymoon! Still getting settled in, but I'm back and posting!

Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    A:VB OOC Thread
    Aldhaven Consolidated Rules
    Spoiler: Homebrew
    Show
    The Kreen of the Desert - Races, classes, feats, and more

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - He of the Long Wait

Katoerian wastes no time and steps right up to the magical shop.

Assuming there is someone to greet him, he will engage in a little bit of banter with the shop clerk or owner first before moving onto his true purpose:
    "On another note," the young human said, "I wonder if you might help me with something. I am in need of magical services, spells to imbue into custom made items, do you offer these services or know of anyone who might? A friend of yours, perhaps?"

Spoiler
    Show
    improve attitude: Diplomacy take 10 if possible for 36, otherwise (1d20+26)[44]
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

My first PbP game, SW Saga, completed from Sept 2013 to March 2015: In the Shadow of Titans OOC thread 2
    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You enter Lloyd's Laudable Lavishments, the premier magic item shop in the city. A quick glance around at the small selection of items under glass displays, the golden scroll work and embellishments on the white marble walls, and the deep, plush red carpet as you enter all indicate that the items here are likely well outside of your price range.

A mighty looking warforged covered with arcane runes guards the door. The shopkeeper is a wizened old man with thick spectacles and a wispy beard that looks like it was never more than patchy.

"We, of course, offer the best custom goods on the market. Only the best for our customers."

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

"Excellent," Katoerian replied, a smile breaking out across his face, "that's just what I'm looking for. I am Katoerian Shun, of House Shun. I may have a rather large order coming in soon, from one of my... contemporaries in the noble quarter. Do you have spare enchanting capacity, if I'm unable to meet the demand? What are your standard rates? Or is there someone else I should speak with?"

Katoerian fully expected the shop owner to try to gouge him, as this was an upscale shop and he'd introduced himself as a noble, with demand he could not meet, but it would set a good upper limit for what _he_ could charge others.

Spoiler
    Show
    basically what I'm looking for here are enchanting rates for the entire enchanting process, or just to supply the spells. I don't know if we should get bogged down in all the dirty numbers just yet, so maybe a percentage of the standard rates would be best at this point? After this my character plans head to a place that is a little more low-scale, a little more desperate for business, and get a low number. That will give him a price range for production. The next step is to head to the noble's quarter and make a deal...
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2015-02-19 at 08:56 PM.
    TC for short

My first PbP game, SW Saga, completed from Sept 2013 to March 2015: In the Shadow of Titans OOC thread 2
    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't believe I've ever heard of House Shun..."

He reaches into the glass case in front of him and pulls out a small, wooden case. He opens it to reveal a velvet lined box with an ornate wand inside. Gingerly removing the wand, he continues.

"Look upon this, the pristine ivory shaped so delicately, the intricate gold filigree, the inlaid mithral and darkwood, the radiant gleam of pure dragonshard. This, sir, is a work of art. See how it balanced it is in the hand, how well it moves... back... and forth..."

He delicately waves the wand in front of you. Make a Will save. Regardless of if you fail, he carefully returns the wand to the box and continues.

"This is not merely a magical tool. This is not the work of some novice, some hack, or some mere craftsman. This is the work of a true artisan! Sir, if you have to ask how much it costs, then you simply cannot afford it."

He snaps the box shut and returns it to its place in the case.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Katoerian's face darkened as the elderly shopkeep did...something with the wand.

Spoiler
    Show
    will: (1d20+5)[8]
    detect magic, any idea what was going on with the wand?

"Sir, I do not usually appreciate wands being utilized upon my person without my express prior permission," he said, "will you do me the courtesy of telling me which spell that was?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2015-02-20 at 11:24 PM.
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Katoerian Shun has been charmed by the shopkeeper, but the failed Will save leaves him unaware that the spell was even cast. As far as your character realizes, the guy showed him the wand and is very likeable.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Katoerian smiled as an idea struck him and he leaned forward slightly and spoke softer, almost conspiratorially.

"Hey, perhaps we could help each other out," Katoerian said, "with your craftsmanship and my way with words, we could stand to make a lot of gold. I'm going to be in the Noble's Quarter later today, perhaps I could put in a good word for you."
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The man smiles.

"But, of course. That sounds like a wonderful arrangement. Now, if you buy had an example of my work to display to your friends, well, wouldn't that be perfect? Please, take your time in selecting something for purchase. You can't be too careful or spend too much on something you're showing off you know."

He grins and winks conspiratorially at you.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Katoerian spends some time, browsing the wares, examining different items. He's looking for something with utility, but also elegant and not too showy... something he himself would like.

Spoiler
    Show
    What items are available? Can I pick anything? OOC I'm not so well versed on magical items, any suggestions? Katoerian would look for something that would entice a noble to purchase more for friends and family.

Finally he settles on one he deems a good sample. Unfortunately, he knows there is no way he can afford it with his current funds. Perhaps his new friend Lloyd will cut him a deal.

"Lloyd, my friend," Katoerian said, "this is perfect for our arrangement, don't you think? Only I wasn't expecting to make a purchase today; I don't have the funds on me right now. Why don't you let me show it to a few people, and when I find a buyer for more than you're selling it here, you can have the full price tag here plus half of the extra I bring in. We both win."

Spoiler
    Show
    Katoerian is telling the truth here, so I'm not sure it would be bluff. Diplomacy for negotiation? I'll roll both.
    diplomacy take 10 if possible for 36 otherwise: (1d20+26)[35]
    bluff take 10 if possible for 30 otherwise: (1d20+20)[28]
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He'll carry anything in that except for artifacts, Relics, Magic Item Sets, magic masks, and anything exclusively psionic in nature. Magic Item Compendium is a good place to start. If you want me to just roll randomly, I can do that too...

I hope the charm person isn't too much of a problem for you, but I figured you'd be a good sport about it. A lot of players get mad and fuss that "only NPCs" can be affected by those kinds of things...

"I'll tell you what I'll do for you. You make a down payment now, and we'll draw up a finance contract. You make regular payments until it's paid off, and we'll call it good. Seem fair to you?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Spoiler
    Show
    Compulsions are a tricky thing. PCs really have only one real power in the game, and that is control over their own character's choices. The key to any good game is the players need to trust the GM not to screw them over arbitrarily. That meaning, not to punish the characters if the player had no choice in the matter. Taking away the ability to make choices for their own character risks ruining the game for some players. I don't particularly _enjoy_ compulsions, but I try to play within them when they happen. Like this case, charm person works both ways, I didn't simply have Katoerian turn into a moron and go 'okay' when Lloyd suggested buying something, I tried to figure out a way within the charm person compulsion (Lloyd's my good friend) to come up with something that would turn things to Katoerian's advantage, in this case, he's going to get a magic item for very little gold outlay, which he can (should) be able to sell to someone later for a tidy profit. Or use himself. Either way, it should be an interesting story, and that's what we're really after, right?

The only thing is, me as a player, I want gloves of eldritch admixture, but my character, charmed though he is, is shopping for something he can easily sell for profit to a noble. I'm thinking ring of invisibility? Who wouldn't want a ring of invisibility? :)
    The greater version is so very tempting though. It depends on the terms of the contract, which one I would want to go for. What would be the monthly gold installment for each? And will Lloyd be willing to accept magical items in lieu of gold?

"Oh Lloyd, I'm insulted," Katoerian said with mock indignation, "of course I shall pay you back. Why don't we just shake on it?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    assuming Lloyd disagrees, Katoerian will still attempt to negotiate as favourable terms as possible; letting money go freely is against his character's nature and his overall goal of proving to his father he can build up a fortune and influence of his own, and manage it better than his elder brother.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2015-02-21 at 10:01 PM.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not usually going to throw dominates and such at players, but I feel that charm person and certain other effects should be fair game. They essentially just force you to treat someone as if they're your friend. It can be a bit chaffing, I understand, but that's kind of the point of the spell. I also only try to throw them at players who I think can handle them. You seemed like you could roll with it without much of a problem. I promise I won't be sending stuff like that your way very often.

Unfortunately, Lloyd is notorious for selling absolutely nothing below market price. With a finance contract and monthly interest charges, there's almost no chance of being able to sell something for more than you paid for it, unless you just skip the payments entirely... which will have its own set of issues for you to deal with.

"I'm afraid I really can't do that. Truly, I am sorry. My backers simply don't allow me to let goods walk out the door without full payment or a legally binding contract. Indeed, I'm quite compelled to follow those guidelines and see no way around them...

Of course, our finance plans are more than generous.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    You catch the hint that he's conveying that he is under a magical compulsion to follow those rules.

Also note that you're not compelled to sign, even if it's a favorable contract. You just see him as a friend and can't be charmed into doing something potentially harmful to your character, such as signing a usurious finance contract.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Spoiler
    Show
    Well thanks for the vote of confidence :)

"Let's take a look at the contract then, shall we?" Katoerian said.

Katoerian reviewed the contract step by step, assessing the terms of the deal as objectively as he could. Lloyd was his friend, but business was business, and he did try to avoid mixing business and personal relationships...
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The contract is fairly standard, at least for Aldhaven. There is a blank left on the form contract for the name of the item to be written down as well as a blank for the down payment, which is clarified to be no less than 10% of the market price. The annual interest rate is at 12%, payments due monthly, the exact amounts to be negotiated prior to signing. Failure to make timely payments will result in immediate repossession of said magic item, any outstanding payments already accrued will be collected from any bank where you have savings or otherwise assessed from your estate. Gross violations, attempts to circumvent the contract, and inability to pay will result in legal action, the penalties of which shall include forfeiture of property or up to and including but not to exceed 2 weeks hard labor in the local needle mines.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-02-22 at 10:13 PM.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Katoerian grimaced as he read through the terms.

"Lloyd, I'd really love to give you the business, but I just don't have the cash flow right now," the young man said, "if I meet an interested buyer later today, I'll be sure send him your way."

Katoerian extended his hand to shake Lloyd's, and assuming he does not try to stop him, will exit the shop and head towards the sign he saw earlier, for the Arcane Order.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Loyd grasps your hand firmly and warmly.

"I understand. Really I do. Not all nobles can lives up to the high standards of society. But, please, do come back, my friend. I would most certainly like to do business with you soon!"

The large warforged standing guard by the door watches you as you leave but does not move to stop you.

Back in Belelen Plaza, you walk through the narrow alley and into a large entry hall. Weird. This place is quite obviously magical.

You are greeted by a tiny humanoid-like woman, exquisitely crafted of some expensive metal and no larger than a large house cat. She gives you a tiny bow.

"Greetings and welcome to the Arcane Order. How might I be of assistance, sir?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

"What in the world is _that_?" Katoerian thought, but quickly pushed it from his mind; he had business to attend to.

"Greetings," Katoerian said, "I need to know the standard rates for magical services, specifically assisting in the enchanting aspect of magical item creation."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2015-02-25 at 12:03 AM.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you for your interest in magical item creation. You can find the information you seek just ahead. Try the room on your left with the picture of the blue owl"

Yes, the phrase "magical item creation" was repeated in your own voice.

After speaking to you, the tiny construct moves back out of the way and takes up a position in a little alcove in the right hand wall.

Proceeding further into the building, you find that there is one massive, round room built of three floors, each filled with numerous identical doors. A spiral staircase in the very middle links up to paths that look like nothing more than spokes in a wheel leading to the walkways around which the upper floors are built. The only differences you can spot are the artfully painted pictures of various animals, one on each door. There appears to be no other signage whatsoever.

The 5th door on the left is indeed a blue owl.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Katoerian makes his way up the stairs and knocks firmly on the door with the blue owl. If nobody answers, he will open the door and enter the room.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Inside the room, you find a magical construction workshop. The noise was suppressed entirely by the door when it was closed. Now, the noise is quite loud, just shy of painful. Looking around the room, you see a number of people hard at work over various devices. You are approached by a man wearing a leather apron, much like that of a blacksmith, stained not with coal but some strange blue liquid with a pulsating glow. He wipes his hands on a shop rag.

"Ev'ning. What can I do ya for?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

"Hello!" Katoerian shouted over the din, "I'm looking for enchanting services for magical item creation, or perhaps even to make an order for full construction, if the price is right. Is there somewhere we can talk?"
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, aye, aye. That's good news. Please, step into my office."

He opens a door in the wall you didn't notice but is completely obvious and plain to see. How you missed it, you have no idea.

"Right'o. What was it you be needing?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

Katoerian takes a seat if there is one available.

"Right, I'm in need of magical services, specifically spells in aid of creating magical items. I can craft them myself, but I don't have knowledge of the requisite spells. Is this a service you offer?" Katoerian asked.

If the answer is yes, Katoerian will inquire about their going rates for low level spells, using 'resistance' as an example.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"So... you be lookin' to hire a spellcaster to cast for you on a daily basis so you can craft magic items?"

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

"That is the gist of it, yes," Katoerian replied, "is this a service you offer?"
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Son, if that's what you're wantin' then you don' need to be hiring a craftsman. We've got our own work to see to. You just need to find any ol' caster down on his luck and in need of some coin."

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

"Ahh, I see," Katoerian replied, " and if I were to outsource the entire job, could I commission a cloak of resistance or ring of invisibility?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2015-02-28 at 03:43 AM.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, of course. That's what we're here for."

At this, he smiles broadly.

Show

Fivefold Paths of Magic
    Rizban's E6 Compendium
    Full Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Katoerian Shun

"Excellent, I know you're very busy and I don't want to take up a lot of your time. I have a potential order coming in and I may not be able to meet it all myself. What is the cost for a cloak, or a ring of invisibility? Are there any bulk discounts available? ..." Katoerian said.

Spoiler
    Show
    My character will start negotiating here. He feels he is likely to get a good price from a builder of magic items, a better price than he would from a retail shop. Unfortunately, I am not exactly the greatest salesperson in the world, but my character should be good at building a rapport and negotiating, hopefully.
    Diplomacy to change attitude and negotiate better prices for magical items, take 10 if possible for DC 36, otherwise:
    (1d20+26)[31]
    (1d20+26)[39]
    Also, what's this guy's name?
    TC for short