New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default General Comics thread

I want to discuss various comics that aren't strictly Marvel/DC property (although I could be wrong on this account, I'm not comics nerd). You know things like The Saga, Irredeemable (by Boom studious), Insufferable (by Thrillbent), etc.

So what's your favorite comic or comics? Discuss, gush, criticize, etc.

Things I've enjoyed in the past/present:
    Locke and Key (teenage love/drama with Lovecraftian monsters),
    Irredeemable (Superman snaps),
    Saga (hard to describe but basically if Romeo/Juliet in a weird world that mixes SciFi and Magic),
    Insufferable (Robin goes public with identity and sells out),
    Empire (Villain takes over the world, and now has to keep it).
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-02-23 at 03:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: General Comics thread

Well, yes, Saga of course. Astro City is always wonderful, and now that it is on a (mostly) monthly publishing schedule I feel that I am getting spoiled. Rat Queens is a consistent pleasure, and if you like red meat, Southern Bastards is the reddest and juiciest in town. Also, honorable mention to Coffin Hill and Dead Boy Detectives. However, if I was going to single a title to gush over that would be Lazarus.

Everything is right about Lazarus. The world is well thought out and researched making it the only science fiction comic book that I know currently running that relies on actual science (if anyone knows of others, please tell me about them). The lead character is complex, capable and sympathetic. The story is compelling and unpredictable. Even the letter column is good and packed with extra content for people who buy the comic monthly instead of waiting for the TPBs. If you like science fiction at all and read comics, you should reading Lazarus.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I must admit I've found myself buying less and less DC comics over they last months to the point where I'm currently only buying two DC and two Marvel titles
    My favorite comic of the moment is 'Lazarus' for all the reason Ranxerox eloquently says. With my favourite taken I'm going to pick 'UBER'. While this is somewhat of a guilty pleasure for its sometimes excessive gore I still find it a fascinating alternate world scenario with the idea (both sides in WW2 develop the ability to produce superhuman soldiers) being explored in detail by an author who clearly loves the period and whose columns in the rear of the book are part of what makes it excellent.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually Astro City was one of the Superhero comics I read, other than some Burmese knock-offs (one had a story of Spiderman fighting Wolverine, who was portrayed as a vengeance ridden super soldier), an Ultimate Spiderman issue where Peter Parker meet Eddie Brock at college and using Venom symbiote. I also read Tin Tin and Archie too.
    The favorite part is when
    Spoiler: Astro City Plot Spoiler
    Show
    A thief discovered Jack-in-the-Box's secret identity. That and the one where one superhero's identity was discovered when he lamented about his burnt records during a fire at his apartment.

I also kinda like Saga too (plan to buy it). I don't know how I like it but who cares.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I want to discuss various comics that aren't strictly Marvel/DC property (although I could be wrong on this account, I'm not comics nerd). You know things like The Saga, Irredeemable (by Boom studious), Insufferable (by Thrillbent), etc.

So what's your favorite comic or comics? Discuss, gush, criticize, etc.

Things I've enjoyed in the past/present:
    Locke and Key,
    Irredeemable,
    The Saga,
    Insufferable,
    Empire.
    If you read Irredeemable, what do you think about it's spinoff, Incorrptible?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    If you read Irredeemable, what do you think about it's spinoff, Incorrptible?
    It was an interesting parallel, but not as compelling as Irredeemable. It must be the art though. Although I'm not convinced by Max's sudden change of heart to this day. Sure he likes to spite Plutonian and sure he was friggin scared, but it felt weird.

I like how he goes I'm just going to act opposite to what I acted before - that's good right? Admittedly Qubit is my favorite character in those series, so it figured into him not being there is why I find it a bit lackluster.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-02-23 at 03:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I'm absolutely in love with Rat Queens. It's a fantastic series that really needs more attention. The schedule has been sadly kinda sporadic lately, but it should be monthly again soon. The Braga Special issue was great and really made me fall in love with that character even more. I'm planning to shamelessly steal the idea for a Half-Orc character at some point.
    Currently Dancing To: This Awesome Wonder Woman Theme Remix!

Awesome avatars thanks to Komodo and Ceika! You're mathematical!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Owlbear View Post
    I'm absolutely in love with Rat Queens. It's a fantastic series that really needs more attention. The schedule has been sadly kinda sporadic lately, but it should be monthly again soon. The Braga Special issue was great and really made me fall in love with that character even more. I'm planning to shamelessly steal the idea for a Half-Orc character at some point.
    They lost their artist a few months back, so the hiatus has been waiting for the new artist to get up to speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Goblin

It's been having delays because the artist got arrested and they had to find new one, but now with Stjepan Sejic it should go smoothly.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks great. It's D&D based comic, no?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Looks great. It's D&D based comic, no?
    It certainly pulls from the Dnd Mold, "Fantasy setting with groups of four to six heavily armed psychopathic mercenaries doing violence for money". But it's not following any DnD rules, mechanics, or mechanically-implied world elements (Trolls don't regenerate for example).
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

@BRC: Hmm, another thing I need to fork money over nao ;) Sounds pretty great actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    Everything is right about Lazarus. The world is well thought out and researched making it the only science fiction comic book that I know currently running that relies on actual science (if anyone knows of others, please tell me about them). The lead character is complex, capable and sympathetic. The story is compelling and unpredictable. Even the letter column is good and packed with extra content for people who buy the comic monthly instead of waiting for the TPBs. If you like science fiction at all and read comics, you should reading Lazarus.
    Could you tell me more about this Lazarus comic? I kinda want to keep the discussion going and I'm genuinely interested in SF comics.
    Last edited by -D-; 2015-02-26 at 03:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It certainly pulls from the Dnd Mold, "Fantasy setting with groups of four to six heavily armed psychopathic mercenaries doing violence for money". But it's not following any DnD rules, mechanics, or mechanically-implied world elements (Trolls don't regenerate for example).
    If I have one complaint about Rat Qeens it's that the setting is too generic d&d setting an it would be better in something stranger. Other than that it's damn funny book.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    If I have one complaint about Rat Qeens it's that the setting is too generic d&d setting an it would be better in something stranger. Other than that it's damn funny book.
    Eh, it's a pretty deliberate riff on DnD Fantasy. Most of the jokes come from the contrast of the high-fantasy setting with the character's modern personality archetypes and speech patterns.
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

@BRC: Hmm, another thing I need to fork money over nao ;) Sounds pretty great actually.

Could you tell me more about this Lazarus comic? I kinda want to keep the discussion going and I'm genuinely interested in SF comics.
    No, I can't. I'm afraid that if I summarize it, I will simplify it. It is a complex story, but when reduced to a handful of sentences it is likely to come off as just another dystopian future with evil mega-corporation. It is better than that so it deserves better than than that.

Here are the first seven pages of issue #1. If you want to read all of issue one, you can get it in digital form from Comixology for 99 cents. If I knew how, I would send you a copy as a gift, but I'm not sure how to do that. So you'll need to check it out yourself and tell me what you think.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Attention Lumberjanes fans. Noelle Stevenson did the newest issue of Sensation Comic featuring Wonder Woman, and it rocks. Just thought you would like to know.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Knights of the Dinner Table is my favorite comic. It's the only one I have a subscription to. I get giddy when I see that the new monthly instalment has arrived in my mailbox.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-03-28 at 04:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I started reading Hellboy, and I really quite like it.

It doesn't really feel like a superhero comic at all, but much more like pretty solid fantasy. Hellboys appearance is so far the only thing that invokes superhero aesthetics at all. Slightly lovecraftian, except that Hellboy never is really impressed and always wins by beating the monsters into submission.
    And I really love the monsters. They strike a very nice balance between being actually monstrous while still being part of this world and not completely indescribable tentacle spawns from another dimension.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    No, I can't. I'm afraid that if I summarize it, I will simplify it. It is a complex story, but when reduced to a handful of sentences it is likely to come off as just another dystopian future with evil mega-corporation. It is better than that so it deserves better than than that.

Here are the first seven pages of issue #1. If you want to read all of issue one, you can get it in digital form from Comixology for 99 cents. If I knew how, I would send you a copy as a gift, but I'm not sure how to do that. So you'll need to check it out yourself and tell me what you think.
    Well, I read the first chapter and was pretty nice. Feels like spy movie meets feudalism. IN FUTURE.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Going to resurrect this thread to give a shout out to Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick. If you are not reading this comic book, you should be. Hell, the letter column alone is better than the majority of comics out there.