New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default High DEX and Armor

Hey guys!
    So, I'm making a very high DEX character, and I'm looking around for some good armors to be using, and good enhancements too.

For now, I have a +1 Shadowsilk Nightscale Armor, that grants me a +3 to AC and a +12 max DEX. I could apply the Nimbleness enhancement to it allowing for a +14 max DEX, but the real problem is: I'll have a +16 DEX later on the game, so it would still not be enough.

I'm also wearing a Dastana and a Chahar-Aina for an additional +2 on AC, and planning on getting a Beetle Buckler for an extra +2.

Now, I was wondering if I could put a Ghoust Shroud while using another armor

And also, I have Heavy Armor proficiency, so I qualify for the awesome Clockwork Armor, that has no max DEX and also grants an additional +4 DEX when worn. I'd really like to use this armor, but I was wondering if there was a way to make it immune to cold damage? I have the Cold subtype, so I'm immune, but does that also make my gear immune?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: High DEX and Armor

Do you have access to spells? Mage Armor and the like doesn't have a max dex

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I have access to inertial armor, which is pretty much the same, but clockwork armor would give me a +8 while inertial armor is only a +4. Also, clockwork would give me and extra +2 due to the dex increase

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Gnome Twist Cloth armor (Races of Stone pg. 159) has no max DEX bonus, and if you spend a feat on proficiency with it, its bonus to AC applies to touch AC as well (including any magical plusses on it). However, it's only a base of +1 AC, so assuming equal enchantments, it might not give you more than your current armor does. (If you get a +3 AC from your current armor and +14 from DEX, that's +17; if you get a +1 from GTC and +16 from DEX, that's still +17, but you had to buy proficiency in the GTC.) Of course, if some of that +3 AC comes from magic, the GTC will pull ahead with an equivalent level of magic on it, but whether it's enough of a benefit to be worth a feat to you is a judgment call. Of course, GTC has no ACP, so I don't think you take any penalties for wearing it without proficiency—it just doesn't provide the bonus to your touch AC as well.

If you want to dabble in incarnum, the Ankheg Breastplate gives +2 armor bonus to AC (+1 per essentia), with no ACP or max DEX bonus, but you can't enchant it to make it more magical, so that might not be the best of plans.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

GTC is a nice option, and I could use it without penalties for not being proficient, and it would give me one additional AC, it is indeed a better late game option than my current one, but what I really wanted was a clockwork armor, although I don't know how vulnerable will it be.

And sadly, I have a complete build already, so I guess it would be pretty hard to put a new feat in or another class level :/

BTW, can I use both an armor and a Ghost Shroud?

EDIT
    Sadly, PF is hard to get approved :/
    Last edited by bootzin; 2015-02-23 at 12:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

You could just wear clothing really, that has no dex caps at all.
    I don't recall any rules saying you can't applying +1 to clothing and treat it as armor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I know I could wear clothing, but clothing doesn't add any non-enhancement armor bonus to AC, nor does it allow me to use Dastana/Chahar-Aina. Additionally, the bonuses provided by the Clockwork armor are really good, but the drawbacks are really bad. What I want to know is if there is any way of overcoming the armor's drawbacks.

So, my basic questions are:

1. Does being immune to cold damage makes my weapons and armor immune to it as well?

2. The armor has a natural 5 AC when it is targeted directly, plus my DEX and deflection AC. At level 20, this would mean 5+18 plus any number of deflection bonus I manage to get. So, is 23 AC plus a hardness of 22 (10 base+2 dwarvencraft+10 enhancement) plus 150 HP enough at level 20?

3. I've read about Legendary Weapons, that are weapons that can only be harmed by other legendary weapons. Is there any equivalent of this for armors? Can I make a Legendary Clockwork armor?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

If your items are attended (worn for armor) then they don't have to save unless you roll a 1. And it's up to each DM as to if they want to roll for all your items in that case. So don't worry about the armor.

I don't understand what you mean about your armor having a natural armor of some value if it is attacked. Are you referring to it's resistance to being sundered? Many tables have the same sort of agreement with sunder that they do with disjunction. If the players use it then it's fair game for the DM.

Your third question is really up to the DM. To be honest I've never heard of a DM targeting armor, as it's normally just more effective to mess with or kill your character directly. The only time I've heard of sunder being used is against weapons.

Having played high dex characters before I like Mithrial Chain but that goes only so far. Inertial Armor is great and naturally has no max dex bonus. Neither do bracers of armor. If you can talk your cleric into casting magic vestment on you that works also.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I feel like once you get to the point where you have 40+ ability scores, mundane AC bonuses seem kind of redundant?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    If your items are attended (worn for armor) then they don't have to save unless you roll a 1. And it's up to each DM as to if they want to roll for all your items in that case. So don't worry about the armor.

I don't understand what you mean about your armor having a natural armor of some value if it is attacked. Are you referring to it's resistance to being sundered? Many tables have the same sort of agreement with sunder that they do with disjunction. If the players use it then it's fair game for the DM.

Your third question is really up to the DM. To be honest I've never heard of a DM targeting armor, as it's normally just more effective to mess with or kill your character directly. The only time I've heard of sunder being used is against weapons.

Having played high dex characters before I like Mithrial Chain but that goes only so far. Inertial Armor is great and naturally has no max dex bonus. Neither do bracers of armor. If you can talk your cleric into casting magic vestment on you that works also.
    Thing is, Clockwork Armor speciffically says that it can be directly attacked, having an AC bonus of 5 + DEX + Deflection.
    And my armor is not subject to saving throws unless I roll a natural 1? Can you point which book says that to me?

@Invader: I believe you are right, but Clockwork would get me an additional +10 AC, and that would be nice.

Can I change the materials that make the armor?
    Last edited by bootzin; 2015-02-24 at 12:46 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bootzin View Post
    BTW, can I use both an armor and a Ghost Shroud?
    No, it takes up the body slot which is the same slot armor takes

1. Does being immune to cold damage makes my weapons and armor immune to it as well?

2. The armor has a natural 5 AC when it is targeted directly, plus my DEX and deflection AC. At level 20, this would mean 5+18 plus any number of deflection bonus I manage to get. So, is 23 AC plus a hardness of 22 (10 base+2 dwarvencraft+10 enhancement) plus 150 HP enough at level 20?
    1. No, the armor stops working based off of whether or not you fail your save not how much damage you take.
    2. AC 23 is pretty low at level 20 and hardness is not too hard to bypass

Can I change the materials that make the armor?
    Since it's a specific armor, probably not but I'm not sure if there's an actual rule to that so ask your DM

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

If you have access to inertial armor, why would you want clockwork? Seems a bit pointless when inertial armor matches it's AC by level 9, and matches it's AC with a +5 enhancement bonus at level 19 (earlier if you boost ML with things like overchannel).
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlueKnightGuy

If you have high wis a monk belt will solve a lot of problems.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoPanda View Post
    No, it takes up the body slot which is the same slot armor takes

1. No, the armor stops working based off of whether or not you fail your save not how much damage you take.
    2. AC 23 is pretty low at level 20 and hardness is not too hard to bypass

Since it's a specific armor, probably not but I'm not sure if there's an actual rule to that so ask your DM
    Hm, thanks for the info, I guess it is not that much of a viable option than..

What about the Skin Paint armor from A&EG? It is a light armor with a +5 bonus and no max DEX. Is it worth it?

@Crake: I only have access to it because of a level dip in soulknife with the hidden talent ACF, so I could only spend 2PP on it

Sadly, my WIS is 10 :/

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

At high level you can get a +4 or +6 wis item and monk's belt is another +1 too. Then you find a way to greater mage armor for 24 hours for +6 (e.g. eternal wand). Which is just as good as +5 twistcloth plus you have +4 from the other 2 items.

At lower level you get something cheaper and swap out later. Even at sell for half the gold won't be much to you at high level.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2015-02-24 at 10:14 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueKnightGuy

If you can fuse several kinds of belts together into one it'd be worth a look.
    Belt of magnificence+monk's belt+ Belt of Battle =Monk's belt of Battle Magnificence
    Very worthwhile for any mundane character.