New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Kitsune Bloodline balance

I've been making my first PF character, and ran into a question of balance.

The third-party Kitsune Bloodling gets this as its first bloodline power:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    Foxfire (Sp): At 1st level, as a standard action, you can create up to four eerie spheres of light that function as dancing lights. While in possession of one or more of these spheres, you can attack one target within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack by directing a sphere at it. This sphere deals 1d6 points of fire damage. Whether or not the sphere hits, it disappears as if its duration ended. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.
    That seems awfully powerful to me, considerable stronger than many first-level spells.

As a second question, how much would it affect the ability's power at low levels to change the damage type to cold?
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kitsune Bloodline balance

Doesn't seem very different from a level 1 Gunslinger or 3.5 warlock. I don't see the problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's only slightly better than Produce Flame early on, and rapidly gets worse. I wouldn't call it that powerful. It also takes you at least two rounds to attack with it (using the first to make it.)

Making it cold would make it stronger (far more things resist fire, especially at those levels) but how much stronger largely depends on your campaign. For most critters it won't make any difference at all - 1d6 is going to be dangerous to your average animal, commoner or expert no matter what damage type you used.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-02-23 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't really see anything that power about it given the setup time.

The focus on enchantment and illusion is a bit odd though. A divination and/or summoning/calling focus would fit a Kitsune bloodline better

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm not seeing how that's much different than [standard bloodline power].
    Elemental/Efreet/etc... all have "Standard action, Ranged Touch, 1d6+(level based) damage, 3+CHA per day"

The Kitsune version loses the +1/2 level damage bonus, but gives you a Dancing Lights effect. Which remember that Dancing Lights is a Cantrip, so you can cast it unlimited times if you know it.
    Yeah, I guess Kitsune gets x4 the 'attacks' out of it, which makes it nice at lower levels, but it will quickly lose power as you go.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2015-02-23 at 10:16 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide