New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

Ye gods, for those of us who needed any sort of reminder about just how horrible monsters the 7 are.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

And crafty, too. Mother Om will have none of her court thinking ill of her. Rest assured the king who confronted her, and the courtiers who admitted him will soon pass from living memory.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Soon..? i take you mean that in a few seconds there will only be his smoldering boots left on the ground where he stood?

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, not quite boots. That was a nice solution.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Well at least Mother Om has a sense of humour.
    Truth resists simplicity.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

The dull Overlord of EVIL variant of humor at the very least.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Just started on the first few pages...I'm strongly reminded of KULT.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Just started on the first few pages...I'm strongly reminded of KULT.
    KULT as in the Swedish RPG? I guess it does share quite some similarities.

9. - Top - End - #99

For anyone who isn't aware, this tumblr has a lot of juicy q&as from Abbadon on the world.

He also occasionally pops up in 4chan's /co/ and /tg/ similar to Unsounded's Ashley Cope
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

ye gods.. and if people thought just blowing him up on the spot would not be evil enough.. now he is an immortal tree..?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Colossus in the Playground

I find it quite elegant, really. An annoyance removed in a way that produces new resources and can be spun as charity.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    ye gods.. and if people thought just blowing him up on the spot would not be evil enough.. now he is an immortal tree..?
    I suspect Mother Om intends for him to remain aware and suffer whenever his fruit is plucked, too. She doesn't seem the type to enjoy a delicacy without torturing some unfortunate to sweeten her dish.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I find it quite elegant, really. An annoyance removed in a way that produces new resources and can be spun as charity.
    I don't think a single macabre tree can be spun as either of those things.
    It's obviously just a cruel way of destroying someone, no one in their right mind would think it as charity, nor is it intended to be as such.
    Besides, she's totally stealing this idea. This is the third time I've seen royalty being turned into trees in a webcomic.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2016-03-15 at 07:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think a single macabre tree can be spun as either of those things.
    It's obviously just a cruel way of destroying someone, no one in their right mind would think it as charity, nor is it intended to be as such.
    It is certainly very elegant.

Everyone will smile and nod, and talk about the mercy of Mother Om, but none of them will believe it were anything but cruel.

And Mother Om will smile and nod, while pretending she belives them when they say how charitable it were.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Today's comic: Way cooler than punching someone into a duck.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2016-03-16 at 05:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

I was wondering what was going to happen to that guy. I guess that settles that.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

Read through it today and definitely an enjoyable trip. I'll be following this one going forward.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

I read through it all the other day.

Have to say, there are a couple plot holes (though they may be outright lies/misinformation since we're getting most of the story secondhand from other characters) but overall solid entry.

Due to slow updates - doubtless due to the extreme badassery of the art - this comic seems to be one that you leave for like 2 months at a time and come back and read the updates, though.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-03-16 at 06:24 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

Absolutely loving the boss battle-esque title card scroll for Mottom dropping down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I read through it all the other day.

Have to say, there are a couple plot holes (though they may be outright lies/misinformation since we're getting most of the story secondhand from other characters) but overall solid entry.

Due to slow updates - doubtless due to the extreme badassery of the art - this comic seems to be one that you leave for like 2 months at a time and come back and read the updates, though.
    I think I'd absolutely say that any gaps in information are due to misinformation from unreliable narrators rather than plot holes. A lot of the lore we know is provided by White Chain, who we've since learned has been kept in the dark about some of Zoss' actions in the first war or about Michael's scheme. Alternatively, there are numerous instances of entities of deific power relishing in paradox (such as YISUN existing eternally and only for an instant) in which case an impossibility isn't an error but a warp of reality, which is defined by the comic. What exactly are you looking at that you would constitute as a plot hole?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Updates sped up considerably a couple months ago. We're seeing two a week, now. And yes, the art is very badass. This comic succeeds on so many levels.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Absolutely loving the boss battle-esque title card scroll for Mottom dropping down there.

I think I'd absolutely say that any gaps in information are due to misinformation from unreliable narrators rather than plot holes. A lot of the lore we know is provided by White Chain, who we've since learned has been kept in the dark about some of Zoss' actions in the first war or about Michael's scheme. Alternatively, there are numerous instances of entities of deific power relishing in paradox (such as YISUN existing eternally and only for an instant) in which case an impossibility isn't an error but a warp of reality, which is defined by the comic. What exactly are you looking at that you would constitute as a plot hole?
    First major one is that initially when Allison shows up, everybody says that the key was stolen from one of the demiurges. Yet when she goes back in just a couple days later after being home, suddenly multiple people know that its the Key of Kings.

The 7 demiurges all rule 1/7th of the universe, because they can't defeat each other. Yet also according to the author, Jagganoth is more powerful than all of the rest combined. So which is it? Why didn't Jagganoth just finish killing the others and conquering everything?

Zoss single-handedly slaughtered all of the primal angels (and per the author, Zoss is explicitly MUCH more powerful than any of the demiurges, including Jagganoth). And Juggernaught was able to kill him.... how, exactly? And how was Juggernaught able to leave Earth with Zaid when Zoss still had the key and gave it to Allison?

Those are the ones that I don't really see any explanation for, other questions could be hand-waved by White Chain or Cil not actually knowing the real truth.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-03-17 at 03:32 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Zoss single-handedly slaughtered all of the primal angels (and per the author, Zoss is explicitly MUCH more powerful than any of the demiurges, including Jagganoth). And Juggernaught was able to kill him.... how, exactly? And how was Juggernaught able to leave Earth with Zaid when Zoss still had the key and gave it to Allison?

Those are the ones that I don't really see any explanation for, other questions could be hand-waved by White Chain or Cil not actually knowing the real truth.
    Spoiler: Tin Foil Haberdashers Guild Theory
    Show
    I'm guessing Zoss is yet another incarnation of Yisun, ultra-powerful, and bored out of his mind. He despises the seven, and has set up Allison, his successor, to knock over their houses of cards. 1 Metatron was the one who originally gave Zoss what he needed to ascend, and the one who created the Thorns (including Juggernaut). It seems pretty reasonable that he could send other angels anywhere he wished. While angels aren't supposed to personally wield that sort of power, he's broken all sorts of other angelic conventions already.

It may even be that Zoss wittingly caused him to do so for some reason. Allison's conversation with him may well be a past life sort of thing.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Best attempt at responses

First major one is that initially when Allison shows up, everybody says that the key was stolen from one of the demiurges. Yet when she goes back in just a couple days later after being home, suddenly multiple people know that its the Key of Kings.

I'm not too sure - but I think that all the keys are considered keys of kings and the demiurges loan some out to their servants (for example see the keys on the emissary from the celestial empire in the court of Mother Om). I am not sure people are freaking out over the key being more powerful than others versus it just being a key that isn't and was never in the control of the seven. During her time home, people just came to the conclusion that no key was stolen and that this is a brand new (or old) key that can shake the balance of the worlds.

The 7 demiurges all rule 1/7th of the universe, because they can't defeat each other. Yet also according to the author, Jagganoth is more powerful than all of the rest combined. So which is it? Why didn't Jagganoth just finish killing the others and conquering everything?

Just because he may be more powerful than 2 or three of the others combined doesn't mean he can win against four or all six against him at once (I don't think the author ever said hes more powerful than the rest combined, just that hes the most powerful individually by far); and it seems they all agreed that if any try to break the balance between them they all team up against the other.

Well Juggernaught didn't kill him kill him, since we saw that the king lingers on in some fashion - so I think it's a case of a thantos gambit or some scheme by Zoss.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Key of Kings is just another name for a Magus Gate, I think. It's not the specific name for Zoss' key. Eg. the people here refer to "a key of kings", not "the key of kings." They know she has one of the keys, they don't know it's the one Zoss had (or that there's anything special about the key Zoss had.)

Only a tiny handful of people know it's Zoss' key, and they haven't been present up until now. (So far, the only ones who seem to know are Juggernaut Star, 2 Michael, Incubus, and the people we've seen them tell.) The random people chasing Allison just think they're going after a Magus Gate, not Zoss' key in particular.

Jagganoth is as powerful as the others combined, I think? They can beat him together, it would just take all of them.

There's also different types of power. They don't need to be able to beat him "cleanly"; if all of them working together have a reasonable chance of killing him (or binding him forever or whatever), that'd be enough to make him be cautious, even if he's more powerful in other ways.

Also the quote about how powerful Jagganoth is is second-hand from someone who spoke with the author in person. Some nuance may have gotten lost in the process.

That seems to me like something that will be revealed in the future. We don't currently know very much about Zoss or Juggernaut Star.

However, I'd point out the same thing I said regarding the other six vs. Jagganoth: Power isn't, like, a "X always beats Y" DBZ thing or like a level in a MMoRPG. The most powerful dude in the universe can still be caught with his pants down, especially if his focus was elsewhere.

I would point out, in particular, that immediately before he was killed, he seems to have summoned his key into his hand, which might have meant he "unequipped" it and was therefore vulnerable; it could be that Juggernaut Star was waiting for that exact moment to strike.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2016-03-18 at 03:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

So, Re: Latest Comic, are we in consensus that Dumbhat Uglyface is giving that look to Allison, who forgot to bow with everyone else?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

I think that she's giving that look to the person next to Alison, because they forgot to bow along with everyone else.

Meanwhile someone, in their haste to bow along with everyone else, knocked Alison over.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Nah. Somebody let rip a silent but deadly one and Mother Om just caught wind of it.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

The wiki says a few things about Jagganoth. First, that he's capable of standing against all the others combined. Second, that he's physically invulnerable. Thirdly, that their armies fought his to a standstill during their ascension.

I can think of some reasons Jagganoth wouldn't fight the remaining six.

They're evenly matched to the degree that his losses would be painfully severe. He may well personally triumph over the others, but he'd stand to lose everything and everyone aside from himself in doing so.

Also, he's moved on to other things. Jagganoth now seeks to physically perfect and improve upon himself, becoming ever more mighty and invulnerable. This hints at another motive -- fear of Zoss. When the Great King returns, the seven are doomed. Jagganoth doesn't want this to happen, and he needs the other six to stand with him when that day comes.

Solomon's gifts to Mottom also reveal that there are diplomatic relations between the seven. Mottom and most of the others showed for the meeting Jagganoth called. These are certainly wearing thin, but respect and lip service can certainly keep a god appeased for a few millennia.

My guess for Mottom's look of extreme displeasure would be her awareness of the presence of the key hunters who are stalking Alison.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2016-03-22 at 01:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Solomon's gifts to Mottom also reveal that there are diplomatic relations between the seven. Mottom and most of the others showed for the meeting Jagganoth called. These are certainly wearing thin, but respect and lip service can certainly keep a god appeased for a few millennia.
    Actually, my understanding is that it has only been about 300 years since the end of the war between the demiurges (that's how long it has been since a new set of angelic armor was forged, say.)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Only 300 years? Huh.

Looks like I was delightfully wrong about the reason for Mottom's ire as well.