New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

even if Jagganoth could defeat the other demiurges and their armies simultaneously, singlehandedly, and easily it would be unwise of him to try. The other six wouldn't really gather themselves and everything they had within punching distance and then stay there while he broke them all. He could probably wreck any world he invaded, but that doesn't mean they couldn't wreck more of his stuff where he wasn't. Bottomless wealth, future vision, etc can be just as frustrating as invincibility in a massive strategic conflict.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

I was kinda half-expecting this. I mean, somebody had to stand up to get that kind of reaction out of Mottom, and introducing another throwaway character to get smacked down would just waste time. Allison was on the short list of possibilities. Part of me was saying 'no way, she needs to level up a few more times before taking on the boss', but then, it's easy to say 'I'll just keep my head down for now and go take on the world when I'm bulletproof and perfect', and at some point you have to just go for it.

I see a couple ways this could go.
    One, Allison strikes at Mother Om. Mottom, confident in her power and on display before all her subjects, counters the attack much like she did the attack of the king's aide, only to find the Key of Kings renders Allison immune. Taken entirely off-guard, Mottom becomes the first of the seven to fall before Kill Six Billion Demons, and Allison rises from obscurity to God-Killer with a single halted heartbeat.
    Two, Allison strikes at Mottom, with words or weapon, but Mottom shuts her down and mops the floor with her. Allison makes a daring skin-of-her-teeth escape. Mottom learns she has an enemy more formidable than the good king, and begins to move against her in earnest, while Allison must retrieve the artifact/learn the skill/achieve the enlightenment needed to defeat the evil queen.
    Three, much like the first possibility, Allison strikes Mottom, but Mother Om is a shrewd foe, and the blow merely triggers one of her countless contingencies. Perhaps this form is a mere puppet to the real Mottom, perhaps she comes apart in mock-death only to reform elsewhere a moment later, perhaps she's removed her heart and secured it in a sacred vessel... Regardless, Allison finds her momentary triumph reversed, and barely manages to escape alive. But she's bloodied a god, and Mottom's empire of cards shudders from the blow as the queen shifts her gaze to the wretch who challenged her and survived.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123

MindFlayer

I'm predicting the second of those. We don't know if the Key of Kings grants any power beyond traveling through worlds, and I kind of hope it doesn't because I want Allison to get through these trying time under her own power rather than just leaning on Zoss'. I also don't think Mottom would use any spell or ability that the Key of Kings would counter because I think Mottom would know what powers the Key holds. If her own Key is based on it, then presumably she's well aware of what the real item can do.

Looking at this page, I don't think all we're seeing is Allison standing. Based on Mottom's reaction and Allison's heavy breathing (which may just be fear, but it looks like strained effort) I think Mottom subtly cast a spell of submission, forcing everyone to bow to her in admiration. And it didn't affect Allison, even though it tried. That's what I think is surprising Mottom so much right now.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

I should point out that Word of God is that we're going to learn Mottom's backstory in the next few pages.

Also, IIRC, he sort of looked in askance at someone who asked a question that implicitly assumed Allison was going to defeat the Seven (which might just have been him saying not to assume stuff, but it might also have been a hint that there's more going on here than just seven evil villains Allison needs to killmurder.)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at this page, I don't think all we're seeing is Allison standing. Based on Mottom's reaction and Allison's heavy breathing (which may just be fear, but it looks like strained effort) I think Mottom subtly cast a spell of submission, forcing everyone to bow to her in admiration. And it didn't affect Allison, even though it tried. That's what I think is surprising Mottom so much right now.
    I dont really think anyone who just casually turned a person into a living tree would need to cast any sort of spell to make people kneel. The knowlede that there were worse things to be turned into should do that on its own.

At the same time though i do think this were stupidity from Alisson to a degree that can hardly be described by words.
    Something like a mouse jumping into the mouth of a lion, trying to bit it on the tongue.
    I mean, what the heck are Alisson going to do? she got a sword she has no idea about how to use, against a thing that can kill or worse with a word?

The only way i can see this going, besides plot armor of a massive degree, is for either Allison to be captured effordlessly.
    Or else Om assuming there is no way Alisson would do something so stupid without being a goddess herself. And opting for negotiation.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

The key seems to have something of a will of its own. Alison wanted to go to Mother Om's palace, but the key would not take her there.

I wonder if Alison's rage is being directed at Mottom. Mottom's acts against the king and his partner may be something that Alison is straining to undo.

Somehow or the other, I suspect this will end with Mottom's palace in flames, Alison fleeing with White Chains and Cio, and the conga line of assassins having some members lost, but adding Mottom herself to its number.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

The comic is back from the holidays. So, does Mottom want Alison to eat because she's a courteous hostess, or does she have less altruistic motives?

Spoiler: My guess
    Show
    Tree king and blossom boy ate her food, becoming vulnerable to her curses. Mottom wants the same power over Alison. If Alison still has the paper figure from Cio, she may be able to have the figure eat the food for her.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

The comic is back from the holidays. So, does Mottom want Alison to eat because she's a courteous hostess, or does she have less altruistic motives?
    Honestly, as Mottom already pointed out the entire palace is being kept up purely from her force of will.
    She is the closest thing to a true god thats still around, and eating her food will not make any difference to what she can do against you.

Though she certainly wants something, the question is what it is. Perhaps to manipulate Allison in some way.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Well my guess is that she wants the Key but isn't 100% sure that if she kills Allison she'll actually be able to take control of the Key. No need to rush, she's effectively immortal and the rest of the 7 seem to be unaware of Allison's location (it's not clear if Incubus knows exactly where Allison is and Mottom doesn't know he was there anyway). There is no indication that Allison herself is any kind of threat, so she can afford to study her for a bit to see if she can guarantee how to take control or maybe manipulate/mind control/con her into giving it up willingly. Mottom can always cut her head off and try to rip the Key out later if she gets in a time crunch. But for now, no need to make a rash decision.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-04-06 at 11:21 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

10. - Top - End - #130

MindFlayer

Considering that the crime bosses who started the assassin conga line were asking for Allison's head and nothing else, I think it's safe to assume they're confident they can take the key out of her skull.

I think that Mottom's being delicate because of Jagannoth. Wasn't it her soldiers, Thorn Knights under her employ, who had abducted Zane through Jagganoth's territory? Jagganoth is suspicious of her, and the rest of the 7 is very aware of his power. If she has Zane in some secret cache, and can obtain the mythic Key of Kings from Allison (which all suspect is supposed to go to Zane and make him the new Conquering King) then she can have both components of the prophecy and can use them as leverage and a weapon, without actually combining them and risking her own livelihood should the new Conquering King turn to slaughter her first.

Everyone thinks that Zane is supposed to be the new Conquering King, right? Even 2 Michael thought that was the case. Jadis' prophecy made it clear that it's Allison, since we see 82 White Chain and Ciocie (and Auntie Mara?) by her side in the image in the mirror. But everyone assumed it was supposed to be the boy.
    Last edited by Nettlekid; 2016-04-08 at 11:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

New page.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mottom seems to be enjoying herself entirely too much.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Its expected Mottom is enjoying herself though. Imagine how long it must have been since she has last had any sort of new situation to deal with?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Considering that the crime bosses who started the assassin conga line were asking for Allison's head and nothing else, I think it's safe to assume they're confident they can take the key out of her skull.

I think that Mottom's being delicate because of Jagannoth. Wasn't it her soldiers, Thorn Knights under her employ, who had abducted Zane through Jagganoth's territory? Jagganoth is suspicious of her, and the rest of the 7 is very aware of his power. If she has Zane in some secret cache, and can obtain the mythic Key of Kings from Allison (which all suspect is supposed to go to Zane and make him the new Conquering King) then she can have both components of the prophecy and can use them as leverage and a weapon, without actually combining them and risking her own livelihood should the new Conquering King turn to slaughter her first.

Everyone thinks that Zane is supposed to be the new Conquering King, right? Even 2 Michael thought that was the case. Jadis' prophecy made it clear that it's Allison, since we see 82 White Chain and Ciocie (and Auntie Mara?) by her side in the image in the mirror. But everyone assumed it was supposed to be the boy.
    The crime bosses think it's just a regular Key (still incredibly valuable). Mottom is well aware that it is the Key of Kings.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

This comic gets more metal every week.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    This comic gets more metal every week.
    False.

It reached peak metalness when 6 JUGGERNAUT STAR SCOURS THE UNIVERSE entered the scene on a bike whereupon the remains of sinners were pinned.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    It reached peak metalness when 6 JUGGERNAUT STAR SCOURS THE UNIVERSE entered the scene on a bike whereupon the remains of sinners were pinned.
    White Chain's and Jag's extreme body modification don't surpass this, but a comic with all three occurrences must still be more metal than one with only the incredibly metal motorcycle scene.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    Zoss' speech to Allison also heavily implies he chose her and not Zane (or perhaps that he's acknowledging her now, either way.) He calls her his redeemer, and the Sovereign, and seems to name her Kill Six Billion Demons.

It's hard to be totally sure, since his speech is so broken. But it doesn't read like he's telling her to seek out Zane.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Zoss' speech to Allison also heavily implies he chose her and not Zane (or perhaps that he's acknowledging her now, either way.) He calls her his redeemer, and the Sovereign, and seems to name her Kill Six Billion Demons.

It's hard to be totally sure, since his speech is so broken. But it doesn't read like he's telling her to seek out Zane.
    I get the same impression. Allison is trying to rescue Zaid because he needs rescuing, and she's a hero (deeply in denial).

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, i really, really love this turn of event. Somehow i find it hilariously that the evil God Queen Tyrant, ruler of 1/7 of creation, is in some ways just as helpless and scared as her countless victims.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oooh, very interesting comic today.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show

Seems likely that Mottom's "eternal life" might make Allison beholden to Mottom in some fashion. I also see where she's going with this - she needs Alison to survive or else her death would trigger the war Mottom fears.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay… so immortality is a condition, rather than part of the offer? Yikes.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, I'm not aware of the peaches of immortality being depicted with any drawbacks. Just 3000 years of life for a bite.

That said, these look suspiciously... veiny.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2016-04-27 at 06:50 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

We do also know that even though there are immortal beings, then there are still not invulnerable ones.
    Even the angels and devils can still be banished back into the void.
    But i really do wonder what this actually will do to allison now, assuming she eats them.
    Im really not expecting it, but this comic has been extremely unpredictable so far.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, I'm not aware of the peaches of immortality being depicted with any drawbacks. Just 3000 years of life for a bite.
    Given the kinda crapsack universe this is, immortality is pretty much its own drawback
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm suspicious that Mottom may be offering her own immortality in exchange for Allison's mortality, because she's had enough. I suspect all that "it will warp and destroy you and you will hate it" comes from it "it did to me".
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if Allison's philosophy degree is a throwaway line, or perhaps some sort of Chekhov's gun. She's made it enormously far on attitude. Knowledge of how to think may end up being far more important down the road.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm suspicious that Mottom may be offering her own immortality in exchange for Allison's mortality, because she's had enough. I suspect all that "it will warp and destroy you and you will hate it" comes from it "it did to me".
    I agree on the latter. Mottom did say Allison is like her in her youth, and that speech about power and destiny seemed too personal to be anything but her own experience. Not sure about the offer, but it does seem likely.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Allison done goofed.

Seems like they are trading youth.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Allison done goofed.

Seems like they are trading youth.
    It doesn't look like they traded anything. It looks like both of them took a bite of peach and had the same effect of 'molting' back to youth (Mottom's skin split and peeled off just like Alice's).

I'm assuming that for something that is as old as Mottom the youth is only temporary.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #150

MindFlayer

I don't think we should be trusting anything Mottom says, about the corruption of fate or the fear she holds or anything. She's one of the Demiurges - she wasn't thrust into a war where she unwittingly conquered the gods, she chose to wage bloody conflict and rule one seventh of the multiverse. She's resisted every attempt at rebellion or assassination presumably attempted on her so far. And she's not afraid to antagonize any other Demiurge than Jagganoth, considering she exploded Gog-Agog's face. If she was sick of eternal life and glorious rule then she would stop eating the peaches and die. She's not. She loves every moment of this. And she's the Demiurge embodying Gluttony. If this was Jadis of Sloth speaking then I might feel differently, but Gluttony doesn't tire. She's never going to be full and satisfied with what she has. She'll just keep consuming all things she can. And this is part of a plan to secure her own power, somehow or another.