New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

That was a critical update for me. If it had turned out that Mottom was serious with this and the comic went along with it being serious, I might have dropped it soon.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    That was a critical update for me. If it had turned out that Mottom was serious with this and the comic went along with it being serious, I might have dropped it soon.
    She might still be serious. It's just Alice is not having any of her ridulous self-serving ****.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Nah. See my earlier post about it. I don't buy Mottom's BS for one second, and it looks like Allison doesn't, either. This is just theatre by Mottom trying to get SOMETHING from Allison.

On the plus side, given the sudden glow/fire from the Key, I think we are about to see Allison's first actual use of the Key, most likely to destroy the tree. And given how powerful the Key is supposed to be, I have high hopes that Allison is going to get way, WAY more power than she expects. I think it might be likely that not only is she going to destroy the tree, but she's going to completely annihilate every part of the palace directly behind it, too.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. she might actually have been sincere about the whole deal, it is still to early to say with any certaincy.

I am a bit confused about what the key should do though, its suposed to be just that, a key, not a weapon of mass destruction.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well.. she might actually have been sincere about the whole deal, it is still to early to say with any certaincy.

I am a bit confused about what the key should do though, its suposed to be just that, a key, not a weapon of mass destruction.
    It's a key AND a weapon of mass destruction - it splits the multiverse via the arts of Division to allow instantaneous travel between universes - for example you could send half a person to the void. Plus a Key of King does so by having one of the 777,777 names of God, and in Allison's case, all of them in her Master Key.

She was also able to bound a demon without any tools, so it seems the Key(s) gives you cheat codes for certain things.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Allison's jewel previously glowed like this right before she named Vladok.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comi...of-names-2-33/

Mottom's forehead jewel spit out white fire the same way right before she turned that insolent guy into a tree AND right before she blasted Gog-Agog's head off.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-4-75/

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comi...of-names-4-65/

So there are basically (3) possibilities I see:

1) It is a straight up source of abilities/power. So any holder of the key GLORY that Mottom has can use it to turn people into trees (among other things, I'm sure) and explode people's heads.

2) It acts as a power amplifier for already existing abilities. So Mottom can normally blow somebody's head off, but needs the Key to add power/affect somebody like Gog-Agog. Unlikely given Allison doesn't seem to HAVE any magic abilities to amplify.

3) It simply glows like that when its holder uses a certain level of power - it did NOT glow when Mottom blew that other guy into petals. Also unlikely for the same reason as #2, Allison doesn't seem to HAVE any magic abilities at all.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-06-23 at 07:06 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    3) It simply glows like that when its holder uses a certain level of power - it did NOT glow when Mottom blew that other guy into petals. Also unlikely for the same reason as #2, Allison doesn't seem to HAVE any magic abilities at all.
    Compared to the seven, Cio, and the angels, Alison seems to rank pretty low. She has managed to project herself into the way between the worlds. She has also effortlessly lugged around a huge sword, drunk a black demon under the table, and punched a hole in her shower wall. While not exactly magic, these feats do indicate superhuman power. Okay, not so much the wall punching thing, although it was pretty clear it was accidental, and she didn't realize how strong she'd become. She may have even failed to notice that she'd done it.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2016-06-24 at 04:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oooh, new page, things are gettin' serious...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Belatedly: I think that what Mottom told us about her backstory was broadly accurate, and her offer to Allison was genuine (although now off the table, of course.) It would have mostly made the last few pages a waste otherwise. Remember, she's just one of the Seven; at this point her dedicated plot arc is probably about half done.

I suspect there's more to Jagganoth than she knows, though.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

I do love whenever Zoss shows up, if that's truly Zoss. (I think it is)

Anyway. Abbadon on twitter mentioned that the comic will be going on hiatus for 7-10 days starting next Wednesday, after he wraps something up. And in case anyone was unsure where the plot was going what with the angels and pursuers showing up and Allison about to start the chaos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "then when we come back it's like a 20 page action scene."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    Zoss is true Bro.

But going back to Alison, yes Alison, burn it all. Burn it all to the ground. Burn it all to CINDER.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsh View Post
    I'm right there with you on both counts. This might be someone playing with Alison.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Incubus comes to mind.

But I'm guessing it really is the old man, because it makes so much sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, he's supposed to be dead, but like that would stop him.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you people are waaaay too eager to leap towards "this entire story we're seeing is a lie" or "this is just an illusion" or explanations like that. To be honest, I feel things like that are awful storytelling. They waste the reader's time and result in a story that becomes increasingly incoherent, sacrificing emotional heft and meaning on the altar of cheap, boring M. Night Shyamalan twists.

Mottom's backstory is (more or less) what she told us. Her offer to Allison was (more or less) genuine. The specter we're seeing here is (more or less) the Conquering King; we know that people of strong will can persist in the void after death, and nobody is likely to be better at that than the Conquering King. It's not so surprising he could extend himself briefly into the real world.

There's probably details we haven't seen, especially regarding the future demiurges, in the same way that Mottom herself is more complicated than Cio and White Chain's stories implied - I doubt Jagganoth's story is quite as simple as Mottom says it is. But there's not going to be some twist that says "haha, the last few pages? They were all a meaningless setup for a SHOCKING TWIST that renders them irrelevant!"

That would be dumb, and I'm just getting kind of tired of every single page getting greeted with people suggesting (or even assuming) that there's going to be a revelation like that. Has KSBD done anything so far to suggest that that's the kind of story it tells? Because so far, while there's been a bit of a blind-men-and-the-elephant to different people's take on the setting and the backstory, broadly, everything we've shown has been accurate, or at least accurately reflected how that character saw the setting.

(Maybe I'm partially grumpy because Unsounded just had a similar thing with a bunch of people assuming, for no clear reason, that a recent update was someone using illusions, to the point where the author had to post saying it wasn't. Leaning on that kind of thing is just not good storytelling.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2016-06-27 at 03:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I think you people are waaaay too eager to leap towards "this entire story we're seeing is a lie" or "this is just an illusion" or explanations like that. To be honest, I feel things like that are awful storytelling. They waste the reader's time and result in a story that becomes increasingly incoherent, sacrificing emotional heft and meaning on the altar of cheap, boring M. Night Shyamalan twists.

Mottom's backstory is (more or less) what she told us. Her offer to Allison was (more or less) genuine. The specter we're seeing here is (more or less) the Conquering King; we know that people of strong will can persist in the void after death, and nobody is likely to be better at that than the Conquering King. It's not so surprising he could extend himself briefly into the real world.

There's probably details we haven't seen, especially regarding the future demiurges, in the same way that Mottom herself is more complicated than Cio and White Chain's stories implied - I doubt Jagganoth's story is quite as simple as Mottom says it is. But there's not going to be some twist that says "haha, the last few pages? They were all a meaningless setup for a SHOCKING TWIST that renders them irrelevant!"

That would be dumb, and I'm just getting kind of tired of every single page getting greeted with people suggesting (or even assuming) that there's going to be a revelation like that. Has KSBD done anything so far to suggest that that's the kind of story it tells? Because so far, while there's been a bit of a blind-men-and-the-elephant to different people's take on the setting and the backstory, broadly, everything we've shown has been accurate, or at least accurately reflected how that character saw the setting.

(Maybe I'm partially grumpy because Unsounded just had a similar thing with a bunch of people assuming, for no clear reason, that a recent update was someone using illusions, to the point where the author had to post saying it wasn't. Leaning on that kind of thing is just not good storytelling.)
    While I mostly agree, the comic has the subtitle "Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar." which does tend to suggest shenanigans might be an option.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    While I mostly agree, the comic has the subtitle "Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar." which does tend to suggest shenanigans might be an option.
    Well, that's not the comics subtitle, that's just the random quote that I thought would sound good as a thread title

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I think you people are waaaay too eager to leap towards "this entire story we're seeing is a lie" or "this is just an illusion" or explanations like that.
    This comic has a lot of rule breaking, lying, and unreliable narrator worked into it. It's a delicious thing.

When confronted by an apparent impossibility - someone we and the protagonist have seen killed - hanging out and advising her, there are a number of possible explanations, including trickery. Since we arrived at the same conclusion, you needn't have taken out your soapbox.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Oh, definitely, but I feel that it's more like the blind-man-and-the-elephant thing. Every page we're shown is a piece of a larger story; some of them might not fit together the way we'd expect, but I don't think the author is just going to go "haha, fooled you" or anything like that, at least not with stuff that was set up as major aspects of the story or core dramatic plot events.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    This comic has a lot of rule breaking, lying, and unreliable narrator worked into it. It's a delicious thing.

When confronted by an apparent impossibility - someone we and the protagonist have seen killed - hanging out and advising her, there are a number of possible explanations, including trickery. Since we arrived at the same conclusion, you needn't have taken out your soapbox.
    While that has happened, how often had Alison senses lied to her? Incubus only appeared while she was sleeping. And he didn't take other forms. I hope Zoss doesn't turn out an illusion, because that's lamer than current explanation, that Zoss is still alive after death.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-06-28 at 10:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    While that has happened, how often had Alison senses lied to her? Incubus only appeared while she was sleeping. And he didn't take other forms. I hope Zoss doesn't turn out an illusion, because that's lamer than current that Zoss is still alive after death.
    Zoss guiding Alison is the best explanation.

Alison's senses have not misled her before (although when she first world-shifted, she was doubting her sanity). Two of the seven have demonstrated the ability to alter their own forms, or the forms of others. Aesma and the other gods in the side stories frequently change their forms. What we haven't seen so far is someone disguising him- or herself as a completely different person. Zoss in particular is so feared that most of the Seven probably wouldn't consider doing it, even if he was dead.

Also, "lamer" ? This comic is awesome.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Not my point, or words.

The "lame" explanation, would be Zoss is just Incubus/Ghost pretending to be Zoss. It brings along Aizen level of Epileptic Wild Mass Guessing (everything was an illusion cast by Aizen). So, yes, this whole comic or a substantial part of it, turning out to be an illusion to fool the readers would be quite lame.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Your words are right up there in the quote bubble.

Regardless, thanks for rephrasing your intended point. I quit enjoying Bleach pretty much right around that big reveal for exactly that reason. Well, that and the overdone cliché of the protagonist that loses, gets up, reveals that he has hidden reserves of power, wins, repeat.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Zoss guiding Alison is the best explanation.

Alison's senses have not misled her before (although when she first world-shifted, she was doubting her sanity). Two of the seven have demonstrated the ability to alter their own forms, or the forms of others. Aesma and the other gods in the side stories frequently change their forms. What we haven't seen so far is someone disguising him- or herself as a completely different person. Zoss in particular is so feared that most of the Seven probably wouldn't consider doing it, even if he was dead.

I think it actually is the real Zoss.

However, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that it is Incubus and he's trying to manipulate Allison.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Your words are right up there in the quote bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    While that has happened, how often had Alison senses lied to her? Incubus only appeared while she was sleeping. And he didn't take other forms. I hope Zoss doesn't turn out an illusion, because that's lamer than current [sic] that Zoss is still alive after death.
    Yes, I'm missing "than current explanation", but it's not hard to see what I meant from context. Explanation A is lamer than Explanation B. I don't think it was ambiguous what I meant.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-06-28 at 10:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Well first of all, I'm highly pleased at the amount of force summoned here. She's totally taking out the wall behind the tree along with it. Also, I notice that this one is titled 'Blade of Want' - remember, Jadis had said the ruler would 'wield the blade of want'. Wonder if Jadis actually is capable of seeing the future.

As for it being Zoss or not Zoss - remember, there's no guarantee that the first Zoss she saw was the real one either. Allison only saw the pumpkin mask when he gave her the Key. He only took the mask off much later - after it appears at a minimum that Incubus was already aware of her possessing the Key.

I don't really agree with it being Incubus, but an argument can certainly be made for it.

People think it's Incubus mainly because he's explicitly said he already watched Allison go back home and come back to the demon worlds, so he has some way of keeping track of her where other's can't actually go. Just because he's only visited her in his natural form a drunken dream doesn't mean he was incapable of trickery (Mottom and Gog-Agog have certainly demonstrated they can significantly change their appearance quickly).

Me personally, until more evidence comes to light I'm pretty sure it's Zoss, mainly because I'd like to THINK that Mottom isn't brainless enough to completely miss another Demiurge infiltrating her palace and sitting right next to her personal source of immortality goading somebody into blasting it.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-06-29 at 01:14 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Well first of all, I'm highly pleased at the amount of force summoned here. She's totally taking out the wall behind the tree along with it. Also, I notice that this one is titled 'Blade of Want' - remember, Jadis had said the ruler would 'wield the blade of want'. Wonder if Jadis actually is capable of seeing the future.
    I'm pretty sure Alison is like one Raditz, maybe even three (One Raditz is 1/100 of Goku). By the time she gets to Jaganoth (aka Jaegermeister), I'm not sure if he will actually pose a threat.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll assume killing the tree won't be that easy. I mean, surely, Mottom has tried to hit it with weapons, even if hers might not be quite as big.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll assume killing the tree won't be that easy. I mean, surely, Mottom has tried to hit it with weapons, even if hers might not be quite as big.
    Why would you assume that? It's her source of immortality. And I assume it also gives her a sense of irony and revenge - the husband that she despised is now utterly dependent upon her for life, in addition to fueling her own rule.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if Alison will keep Mottom around?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Firbolg in the Playground

First of all, YESSSS! *pumps fist*
    I love the way Allison progresses in this comic. She's reluctant, bewildered, terrified, occasionally spineless, and hopelessly outmatched... But then you see moments like this, where she takes a stand, takes control of her own destiny, and moves forward. When she insisted her name was Allison, when she stepped out of her world to the void, when she stood up to Mottom, and, of course, now. Reality buffets her like a hurricane wind, but time and again, she plants her feet and takes another tiny step forward.

Also, I gotta say, I really like the idea of measuring super-powerful characters in units of Gokus and Raditzes.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

5,999,999,999 to go.