New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

While I know that Xefas has it in his to-do list to create elevation Mythos for Silver, Cold Iron, and Mithral, I was working on a Syntrofos cohort and found I could do with them, so I thought I'd give it a shot myself.

A Sword that Shatters the Light of the Heavens
    Prerequisite: The 'A Blade of Silver Starlight' Mythos
    [Reforged]
    Spoiler: Starmetal
    Show

Take on the properties of Starmetal. Your base Hardness becomes 25 if not already higher. Your critical threat range increases by +2 (applied after effects like Keen or Improved Critical), your critical modifier increases by +1, and attacks with you no longer automatically fail on a natural 1. Finally, you are immune to electricity damage.

Shining Bright In Full Moon's Light
    Prerequisite: The 'Shining Pure In Blackest Night' Mythos
    [Reforged]
    Spoiler: Moonsilver
    Show

Take on the properties of Moonsilver. Your base Hardness becomes 18 if not already higher. Attacks no longer suffer a -1 penalty to damage due to being made of Alchemical Silver. You gain the Sizing, Morphing, and Transmuting properties, manifested as (Ex) qualities. Finally, you are immune to cold damage, and ignore up to 5 points of Shield bonus when used to attack a creature.

Metal To Guard Against The Wyld
    Prerequisite: The 'Metal To Stand Against Chaos' Mythos
    [Reforged]
    Spoiler: Elemental Jade
    Show

Take on the properties of Elemental Jade. Your base Hardness becomes 20 if not already higher. As part of the reforging process, you gain a mote of energy, as per the 'A Reliquary For The Fire Of The Gods' Mythos, of choice, even if you do not possess that Mythos; if you already have the desired mote of energy, you gain no additional benefit.

You gain the Fireshaped weapon template, with the following changes: the bonus damage is increased to your Intelligence modifier, and the subtype the bonus damage is applied to is dependent on the chosen mote of energy (fire = [cold], cold = [fire], electricity = [water], acid = [air], sonic = [earth]).

Whenever an attack made with you would deal energy damage, whether due to a magic special quality of the item, a spell cast on the wielder, a martial maneuver, or any other ability, you may choose to have the attack instead deal energy damage of the type matching your mote of energy; if you do so, you must substitute the energy type for each attack made with you until the beginning of your next turn. You gain the Energy Surge property for your chosen energy type, manifested as an (Ex) quality; you may gain this property even if you do not have the base property.

You gain an additional property based on the energy type chosen, as follows: [fire- Vicious; cold- Defending; electricity- Eager; acid- Bloodfeeding; sonic- Sundering]. With one hour's concentration, you may change your chosen element to any other mote you may have, and may, at the same time, change the element chosen for the 'A Spirit of [Energy] Dwells Within' and 'Illustrious [Energy] Blade' Mythos, if you have them, though you may never change the Weapon template granted by this Mythos; even if you choose to reallign yourself to a different element, the mark of your original forging remains.

I'm not 100% sure about these three. I took some inspiration for them from the magical material conversion done by The Demented One here. At the end of the day, though, I'm not sure that they're appropriately Legendary-level, but considering I knocked these together in, like, 2 hours, I guess it's not a bad place to start.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: [3.5] "Look, whatever you're thinking, do me a favor; don't let go."

Quote Originally Posted by Kapskaen View Post
    While I know that Xefas has it in his to-do list to create elevation Mythos for Silver, Cold Iron, and Mithral, I was working on a Syntrofos cohort and found I could do with them, so I thought I'd give it a shot myself.

A Sword that Shatters the Light of the Heavens
    Prerequisite: The 'A Blade of Silver Starlight' Mythos
    [Reforged]
    Spoiler: Starmetal
    Show

Take on the properties of Starmetal. Your base Hardness becomes 25 if not already higher. Your critical threat range increases by +2 (applied after effects like Keen or Improved Critical), your critical modifier increases by +1, and attacks with you no longer automatically fail on a natural 1. Finally, you are immune to electricity damage.

Shining Bright In Full Moon's Light
    Prerequisite: The 'Shining Pure In Blackest Night' Mythos
    [Reforged]
    Spoiler: Moonsilver
    Show

Take on the properties of Moonsilver. Your base Hardness becomes 18 if not already higher. Attacks no longer suffer a -1 penalty to damage due to being made of Alchemical Silver. You gain the Sizing, Morphing, and Transmuting properties, manifested as (Ex) qualities. Finally, you are immune to cold damage, and ignore up to 5 points of Shield bonus when used to attack a creature.

Metal To Guard Against The Wyld
    Prerequisite: The 'Metal To Stand Against Chaos' Mythos
    [Reforged]
    Spoiler: Elemental Jade
    Show

Take on the properties of Elemental Jade. Your base Hardness becomes 20 if not already higher. As part of the reforging process, you gain a mote of energy, as per the 'A Reliquary For The Fire Of The Gods' Mythos, of choice, even if you do not possess that Mythos; if you already have the desired mote of energy, you gain no additional benefit.

You gain the Fireshaped weapon template, with the following changes: the bonus damage is increased to your Intelligence modifier, and the subtype the bonus damage is applied to is dependent on the chosen mote of energy (fire = [cold], cold = [fire], electricity = [water], acid = [air], sonic = [earth]).

Whenever an attack made with you would deal energy damage, whether due to a magic special quality of the item, a spell cast on the wielder, a martial maneuver, or any other ability, you may choose to have the attack instead deal energy damage of the type matching your mote of energy; if you do so, you must substitute the energy type for each attack made with you until the beginning of your next turn. You gain the Energy Surge property for your chosen energy type, manifested as an (Ex) quality; you may gain this property even if you do not have the base property.

You gain an additional property based on the energy type chosen, as follows: [fire- Vicious; cold- Defending; electricity- Eager; acid- Bloodfeeding; sonic- Sundering]. With one hour's concentration, you may change your chosen element to any other mote you may have, and may, at the same time, change the element chosen for the 'A Spirit of [Energy] Dwells Within' and 'Illustrious [Energy] Blade' Mythos, if you have them, though you may never change the Weapon template granted by this Mythos; even if you choose to reallign yourself to a different element, the mark of your original forging remains.

I'm not 100% sure about these three. I took some inspiration for them from the magical material conversion done by The Demented One here. At the end of the day, though, I'm not sure that they're appropriately Legendary-level, but considering I knocked these together in, like, 2 hours, I guess it's not a bad place to start.
    Not going to lie, but Demented's stuff is all amazing. First of all, when 'The Supernal Emperor of Metals' says that you take on the properties of Orichalcum, and then lists several effects, do both of these take effect? It seems like some of them mix and match.

If not, maybe as an advanced you gain a) the benefits from the original post b) 50% of the restrictions. With Privacy-Inhibiting Attachment as a prerequisite? Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    Not going to lie, but Demented's stuff is all amazing. First of all, when 'The Supernal Emperor of Metals' says that you take on the properties of Orichalcum, and then lists several effects, do both of these take effect? It seems like some of them mix and match.
    If someone else's homebrew is necessary for using a Mythos, I will link it in the Mythos. This class has nothing to do with The Demented One's stuff; we're just pulling names from the same source.

When a Mythos says 'you take on the properties of X' and then lists effects directly after, it's listing what those properties are. There's no additional hidden unmentioned stuff.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: The Glorious King of Metals mythos refers to a "Heavy Weapons Proficiency" that is required to wield the gold weapon. could someone please give the source for this feat? because I'm starting to be rather convinced that said feat doesn't actually exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    I'm starting to be rather convinced that said feat doesn't actually exist.
    Yeah? Well maybe your face doesnt actually exist!
    Anyway, I was in the thread where you brought this up and I'm searching for it now as well.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Heavy weapons are something from the Forgotten Realms setting. Alchemical Gold is a material from there. That said, I don't remember which book specifically it'd be in.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Heavy Weapons are on page 179 of 'Magic of Faerun'. They require the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to wield, even if the weapon is usually Simple or Martial.

For example, to wield a Gold Longsword, you need Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Longsword). Weirdly, you don't need to be proficient in the weapon's normal version. So it's possible to be proficient with Longswords made out of Gold or Platinum, but not ones made of iron or steel. Very odd. Not how I would've done it, but those are the official rules on the matter.

The only differences between a Heavy Weapon and a normal version of the weapon are already noted in The Glorious King of Metals (+1 size category damage, x2 weight, requires special proficiency).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Heavy Weapons are on page 179 of 'Magic of Faerun'. They require the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to wield, even if the weapon is usually Simple or Martial.

For example, to wield a Gold Longsword, you need Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Longsword). Weirdly, you don't need to be proficient in the weapon's normal version. So it's possible to be proficient with Longswords made out of Gold or Platinum, but not ones made of iron or steel. Very odd. Not how I would've done it, but those are the official rules on the matter.

The only differences between a Heavy Weapon and a normal version of the weapon are already noted in The Glorious King of Metals (+1 size category damage, x2 weight, requires special proficiency).
    "OH NO! I can't use this weapon to defend myself from that horde of marauding goblins! It simply isn't shiny enough!"

Despite (or because of) that, will the new elevated material mythos' (mythoses? mythosi?) have similar properties to Demented's? Because that would make me so happy. I don't know much about the source you are both using, but either way, it must be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I wonder how big something has to be before it gets its own weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymme
    You can do whatever the heck you want and I'll follow like a starving sycophant so long as I can read it.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

When I said I took some inspiration from The Demented One's take on the Exalted 5 Magical Materials in D&D, I just meant that I had used his version (which are exclusively Epic materials for characters with the appropriate Epic Destiny) to try and work out what this version should do. Just as Xefas' versions of Orichalcum and Soulsteel specifically state what being made of that material means, so to does my take on Starmetal, Moonsilver, and Elemental Jade.

As an example, The Demented One's take on Moonsilver states that 'as a swift action, the wielder of a moonsilver weapon may reshape the weapon into any other weapon of the same size and type'. For the Syntrofos Mythos, I decided that the best way to translate that into something that fit with the existing Mythos was to state that being made of Moonsilver grants the Sizing, Morphing, and Transmuting abilities as (Ex) qualities, and that the twisting, reshaping abilities of the material allowed attacks with the weapon to bypass 5 points of Shield AC.

The only reason I really linked to The Demented One's version of the Magical Materials was more for comparison, to ask 'Does my take on these three fit with the right power level, while still containing the essence of what it means to be made of those special materials?', not to say that the Mythos also grant that version of the material properties.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

I dunno. Depending on weight difference, a much lighter sword could be just as unwieldy to handle as a much heavier sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spwack View Post
    Despite (or because of) that, will the new elevated material mythos' (mythoses? mythosi?) have similar properties to Demented's? Because that would make me so happy.
    Yeah, probably. In fact, what I have planned for the Moonsilver one is almost identical to Kapskaen's version. Although, his name for the Mythos is better, so maybe he'll let me take it and credit him?

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    I dunno. Depending on weight difference, a much lighter sword could be just as unwieldy to handle as a much heavier sword.
    Right. The silly part, to me, isn't that it requires special training to use a heavier weapon. It's imagining a situation whereby someone would actually master the use of a solid gold longsword, but completely refuse to learn the much more common and sensible iron/steel version.

It's sort of like if somebody lived in a really urban area their whole life and never had to learn how to drive because they always took public transit everywhere. Then they joined the military and worked their way up to driving a tank. And then they come home, and they're like... how do I drive this car? All I know how to drive are armored platforms of invincible death. Can I get a car that weighs 68 tons and works on treads, 'cause this handling is ridiculous???

Possible, but odd.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2015-04-12 at 02:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Yeah, probably. In fact, what I have planned for the Moonsilver one is almost identical to Kapskaen's version. Although, his name for the Mythos is better, so maybe he'll let me take it and credit him?
    Be my guest. If anything, I'm honored that you like the name enough to make it official.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey Xefas, Worthiness-Discerning Ego doesn't have an ability yet.

Also, the rules hint at being able to be made from multiple materials at once. Are we limited to only Bellators achieving this or might we see a Syntrofos mythos that has a similar effect? It sucks to not have certain magical weapon abilities due to having them be material exclusive.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kapskaen View Post
    Be my guest.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon® View Post
    Hey Xefas, Worthiness-Discerning Ego doesn't have an ability yet.
    Indeed it is so.

Also, the rules hint at being able to be made from multiple materials at once. Are we limited to only Bellators achieving this or might we see a Syntrofos mythos that has a similar effect?
    I do not plan to give the Syntrofos the ability to achieve this on their own. I would say, if there are no Bellators in the party (or a potential future class that has a similar ability), make it known to your GM that you'd like to find a smith with such expertise. In all the planes, surely there must be somebody. Probably a dwarf. It's always dwarves. It's good to have goals.

I suspect the one-material limitation will feel less and less impactful as the class gets closer to completion, which it is still very far from.

15. - Top - End - #75

I made a thing.

Spoiler: Fantastic Mythos
    Show

Bargain of Ruin
    Prerequisite:
    Privacy Inhibiting Attachment
    Your capacity to be both boon and bane to those who wield you deepens further, as you draw even from your wielder to fuel yourself.
    You may, as a full round action, engage or disengage a Boon and Bane, both selected from the Basic Manifestations of this Mythos you possess. You must select one of each, but the Boon and Bane need not come from the same Manifestation. You may only have one Boon and Bane active at the same time.

Your wielder is not necessarily aware of the Boon and Bane, or their effects, until it is too late. Many are the weapons who have taken advantage of this, leading their wielder to ruin just as they come across a more worthy owner, or indeed subverting their wielder until they are little more than a wandering meat-puppet of the Syntrofos, bearing it to battle for its own ends.

Basic:
    Blood-letting Fury: Boon: Your edge sharpens, your swings cut deeper, and your blows strike harder. You deal an extra amount of damage equal to twice your Charisma Modifier, minimum 1. (Select the amount when you activate the Boon).
    Bane: Whilst wielding you, your wielder is in a Rage:

Spoiler: Rage Effects
    Show

The effected character may not show any manner of restraint in their attacks (for example, they may not voluntarily deal nonlethal damage if there is a suitable lethal method available, or purposefully pull their punches to deal less damage). They may not voluntarily perform movement that would take them farther away from all of their enemies (they may switch targets, but not forsake all of them). If a foe is dropped unconscious, and there are other dangers afoot, they may focus on those other dangers, but if there are no other enemies, dangers, or pressing concerns, they must attempt to kill fallen enemies. Any creature that strikes them (even if that creature is under some kind of outside influence) is considered an enemy (and cannot be considered an ally, obviously) for the duration of the Rage.

A Raging character takes a -4 penalty on all skill checks (other than Balance, Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, and Tumble checks), and ranged attack rolls (except with thrown weapons), and cannot cast spells, manifest psionic powers, or utilize Truenaming or Shadow Magic (Binding, Incarnum, and Invocations are fine).

Additionally, your wielder takes your Charisma Modifier in damage each time they make an attack with you.

Folly of Fortune: Boon: Luck is a fickle beast, but you seem uncannily blessed. While your wielder holds you near, they gain a luck bonus on all attacks and skill checks equal to half your charisma modifier.
    Bane: The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long. While your wielder holds you, they age twice as quickly. Additionally, they suffer a penalty to all saves equal to half your charisma modifier.

Two Faced Plague: Boon: In the right light, you seem to glisten with an unhealthy looking ichor. Once per round, when your wielder deals damage with you, you deal 1 point of ability damage to a creature you wounded. Select the ability to damage when you activate this Mythos.
    Bane: Your wielder takes on an... unhealthy look. Whilst your wielder holds you, they suffer one negative level. This never results in permanent level loss, but cannot be healed until the wielder has spent at least 1 week without you (which is difficult, considering that you are cursed). Additionally, once per round, when your wielder deals damage with you, they suffer one point of ability damage to a score of your choice.

Extremes of Grace and Laxity:Boon: You strike more swiftly, more surely, than other weapons. Once per round, after dealing damage, you may choose to increase you and your wielder's initiative by 1. If you do not manage to damage anything, however, your initiative returns to its original value.
    Bane: Your wielder becomes more susceptible to the whims of others. They take a penalty on all opposed checks equal to your Charisma Modifier. Additionally, their alignment will, over time, shift to match your own. This effect can slowly reverse if the wielder is separated from you for at least a week.

Advanced:
    Corruption Through Variety: You gain one Basic manifestation of this Mythos that you do not already possess.

Literally the first bit of homebrew I have made. Do please point out if the balance is all horribly wrong.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

interesting flavor on the mythos. Did I understnad correctly that when it activates, you pick both a boon AND a bane that come into effect at the same time?

Also, the balance on some manifestation seem a bit off. mostly th bane from Two-faced Plague. A negative level is bad enough, but also taking ability damage can quickly cripple the wielder, especially against srtonger foes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    interesting flavor on the mythos. Did I understnad correctly that when it activates, you pick both a boon AND a bane that come into effect at the same time?
    Correct. Effectively, you trade some extra bonus for deleterious effects on your wielder.
    Also, the balance on some manifestation seem a bit off. mostly th bane from Two-faced Plague. A negative level is bad enough, but also taking ability damage can quickly cripple the wielder, especially against srtonger foes.
    Fair. Again, first thing I've made. What would you propose? The intent is primarily that a Bane will, if left unchecked, (read, user doesn't realise what's happening and take measures against it) ruin the wielder.
    So, Blood Letting Fury is supposed to make the wielder kill as much as possible until he bites off more than he can chew, hence the Rage. Folly of Fortune reduces saves since a suddenly failed save can ruin someone. Excess and Laxity is almost my entire reason for making this thing - a weapon that subverts its wielder to be more like itself seems pretty archetypal for living weapons, at least the evil ones (though the idea of a good mace that causes villains to fight against evil strikes me as pretty neat too).

So, what would Two Faced Plague do? If it's just the one negative level, if left alone that's nothing to really worry about. Hence, the effect that decreases the wielder's abilities as they use it. I'm actually not convinced it's all that much. Over time, that's, what, a Restoration a day?
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

It's the 1 ability damage per round that worries me, not that it causes ability damage.

Considering that it has the word 'plague' in its name, why not make it into a disease that's incurable for as long as they hold the weapon, that deals xdx ability damage every 24 hours, or possibly shorter incubation time if you prefer? You'd just need to mention that it specifically ignores immunity to disease, as it's not a disease in the truest sense of the word, you're just using the disease mechanic to explain how it works.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ever read the Malazan Book of the Fallen serries?

I'm seeing this as an Exceptional Mythos...

Curse of the Eternal Bearer
    A weapon as unique and powerful as the Syntrofos deserves to be carried by the ultimate warrior. What better way to find such a bearer than to create one yourself, forged in blood and battle, drawn back from the brink of death time and again until they have become the ultimate wielder.

Choose a worthy bearer, who must have at most half your hit dice/levels. If taken at first level, a 0-level commoner is your bearer. You bind yourself to your wearer, making yourself an item of such value to your bearer that they will not willingly release you. If you are held in your bearer's hand, you can cause that hand to seize in such a manner that it is impossible to remove you. There are no other effects to this Mythos... until your bearer is slain in combat for the first time while wielding you. Your bearer's corpse falls as normal, save that its hand is sealed to you. It is completely impossible to remove you. The bearer cannot be brought back to life by magical means, any attempt to do so discovering that it's spirit is... missing.

After one hour the bearer returns to life, screaming in abject pain and suffering. The bearer takes 1 point of Wisdom drain. The bearer gains a level in the Bearer class (below), its soul having been instructed in that hour in the proper methods of wielding you.

Each time your bearer dies, the period of rebirth is reduced by 5 minutes. Each time your bearer dies, it gains a level in the Bearer class, up to a limit of the Syntrofos' class. Once that level has been reached, if the Bearer previously had levels in any other class the Syntrofos can choose to replace a level from another class with a Bearer level, if that would be a tactically sound choice. Each time your bearer is reborn, it takes another point of Wisdom drain, to a minimum of 2. The process of painful death and tortured rebirth bears a heavy cost for the bearer, who goes slowly insane over time unless he receives magical healing. Even with the Wisdom drain corrected, the emotional scars of the rebirth process never fade.

Advanced
    Release to Peaceful Oblivion: There may come a time where your bearer is no longer serving to your requirements, no matter how many times you lead it to a violent death. You may choose to abandon your Bearer in the hopes of finding a new worthy being to be born to glory in your radiance. The abandoned bearer immediately suffers 10 points of Wisdom burn and goes insane. They lose all class abilities from being a Bearer, but will still likely seek out battle in the hopes of finally finding release in death.

Bearer
    The Bearer has ability progression exactly as a fighter (Full BAB, Good Fort and Ref), with the fighter skill list as well. It gains bonus feats in the same way that a fighter does, but is restricted to only choosing feats that apply directly to comabt and the use of their Syntrofos. Choose one Martial Discipline that has as its preferred weapon type the same type as your Syntrofos. You gain the ability to perform combat maneuvers and stances as a Crusader, but only while wielding your Syntrofos.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2015-04-22 at 10:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

@PeacefulOak: So what martial discipline would Rhulad Sengar use? I also take it that Dragnipoor is a soulsteel sword with a custom mythos for the whole alternate dimension thing?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon® View Post
    @PeacefulOak: So what martial discipline would Rhulad Sengar use?
    I'd say Stone Dragon, most likely. Rhulad was all about the heavy hits, brute-force style of combat (what with the skin of gold coins).

22. - Top - End - #82

Being able to use a wooden sword proficiently doesn't mean you can use a metal one. Weight is a factor; if you're used to swinging around a bar of lead in vaguely sword-like fashion, picking up a (comparatively) much lighter steel broadsword will have you vastly overswinging or overcorrecting for the same. Conversely, if you're used to the steel broadsword, one made of gold will have much more weight and inertia than you're used to, leading to similar problems.

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Being able to use a wooden sword proficiently doesn't mean you can use a metal one. Weight is a factor; if you're used to swinging around a bar of lead in vaguely sword-like fashion, picking up a (comparatively) much lighter steel broadsword will have you vastly overswinging or overcorrecting for the same. Conversely, if you're used to the steel broadsword, one made of gold will have much more weight and inertia than you're used to, leading to similar problems.
    This assumes that a fantasy character, especially one in D&D, would follow the actual rules of reality. When one can fall from 200 feet and stand back up in the next 6 seconds, it is a strange disconnect that claims that they couldn't also just figure out how to use a roughly-similar weapon despite weight differences. D&D rules are weird, yo.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1949 View Post
    This assumes that a fantasy character, especially one in D&D, would follow the actual rules of reality. When one can fall from 200 feet and stand back up in the next 6 seconds, it is a strange disconnect that claims that they couldn't also just figure out how to use a roughly-similar weapon despite weight differences. D&D rules are weird, yo.
    Yes, but there is some logic.

May not always be consistent, but it's there...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    Yes, but there is some logic.

May not always be consistent, but it's there...
    yeah joker has logic weird but he has logic( similar to this case (nhahahahahaahah)( about the rules point))
    Last edited by khadgar567; 2015-04-24 at 11:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Is there anything in particular you'd like tested? I'm thinking enchantment should be possible at DM discretion, just because it would be so much fun.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qazzquimby View Post
    Is there anything in particular you'd like tested? I'm thinking enchantment should be possible at DM discretion, just because it would be so much fun.
    qazzquimby if you say this class uses enchantment than you don't need the reforge mytos for any thing because there is a master key build in srd( metalic and morphing enchants on same weapon) that makes any weapon any time with any metal witch brakes the classes workings

28. - Top - End - #88

Unless I'm mistaken, the purpose of reforged mythos isn't to make you out of a new material, which I think can be done normally, but give you a slew of abilities in that material's theme.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Unless I'm mistaken, the purpose of reforged mythos isn't to make you out of a new material, which I think can be done normally, but give you a slew of abilities in that material's theme.
    Part of the purpose of the Reforged Mythos is to give you the benefits of a particular material, and I've attempted to balance the extra benefits of each Mythos around the idea that some materials' base effects are just better than others - Gold gives you bigger damage dice, Mithral makes you weigh slightly less, for example.

One of the reasons I've been hesitant to finish off/add more material Mythos is because I'm deliberating on whether I should leave them as they are, where we just sort of gloss over where the Alchemical Gold for your Syntrofos that took The Glorious King of Metals came from, or whether I should actually add a little power to the Mythos and require that an adequate amount of the requisite material be supplied by the party during the Reforging. Which could be a big deal early on if you have to track down some elven royalty and barter a small mansion worth of Mithral from them. Then again, it would probably just incentivize starting the game with a material Mythos even more heavily, to the point where it's dumb not to. Which I'm sort of okay with.

Is there anything in particular you'd like tested?
    Anything is good. I think the Syntrofos needs a lot more Mythos before higher level play can really be tested, though.

30. - Top - End - #90

Not really useful, but feedback from the first games with a syntrofos. The Syntrofos gets significantly less interaction in most cases, making it more passive to play. The player was less a part of planning (though that could just be on the part of the player) and generally had less to do with the game. You could say he was *objectified* knee slap.

That, and combat options are pretty severely reduced, especially compared to initiators/castors and friends. It helps that he's gestalted with Olethrofex for dead raising and creepy phantasmagoria.