New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments IV - A Rich Source of Quotassium

I don't think any of them are worth including.

However, his explanation about the color depth might be of interest to those interested in the technical details of website art.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I agree that the Uncle quote is worth including. I found myself wondering about that, and I come from a background where using 'Aunt' or 'Uncle' figuratively is pretty common. I'm sure those who don't would be more confused than I was.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thirden's accent, and some other minor stuff.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm against all but the fourth; the first is self-evident in the comic, as is the second (at least, The Giant and I both think it is), the third has two components - "the guy has white hair," which I do not object to, and what basically amounts to, "assume anything that would solve the issues presented isn't happening or is too weak to have any effect," which I do object to because that or something similar can be said about basically every strip without authorial comment on.
    Agreed, and even the 4th quote is barely important enough to make it in.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would include the points about color depth, Thirden not being a biological uncle, and Thirden's accent. They're pretty minor, but we have added even more minute details than this before.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm against the inclusion of these four quotes.
    The comic itself answers to all of them. Except maybe the cleric thing, but since it's not really "solid"...

The off-color thing isn't really important as well. Durkon seems more red than usual to me and Hoskin look greener than before and somehow sick.
    I didn't notice anything else odd about colors.

Thirden looks tall, but that's not intended. We've seen him as a normal dwarf before and probably will see him again.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

7. - Top - End - #547
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Thirden looks tall, but that's not intended. We've seen him as a normal dwarf before and probably will see him again.
    Er, he looks tall because he's standing next to the child Durkon--it's entirely intended for their relative sizes to be as they are in this comic. (And yes, apparently dwarf children develop beards considerably earlier than human ones do!).

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Er, he looks tall because he's standing next to the child Durkon--it's entirely intended for their relative sizes to be as they are in this comic. (And yes, apparently dwarf children develop beards considerably earlier than human ones do!).
    Thirden is also a fair bit taller than Hoskin, the other dwarf who left at the beginning of the comic. Compare Durkon's height with Hoskin in the beginning and Thirden's height in the end, and there appears to be a significant difference that would not be caused by the slightly different positions between the two panels.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #549

I don't think that's it.

Hoskin is roughly the same size than Sidgi (panel 5) and so look Thirden.
    Durkon is barely smaller than his mother (panel 7)

Thirden looks tall, that's all.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(And yes, apparently dwarf children develop beards considerably earlier than human ones do!).
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. What's durkon age at the moment of that talk? I'm just saying this because, as per PHB, dwarves reach adulthood at 40, so maybe "kid Durkon" is already close to his 20's.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

11. - Top - End - #551

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. What's durkon age at the moment of that talk? I'm just saying this because, as per PHB, dwarves reach adulthood at 40, so maybe "kid Durkon" is already close to his 20's.
    Durkon was roughly 35 when kicked out of Dwarven Lands (17 years ago in Origin of PCs and he's 55 while entering Bleedingham. He hasn't changed much between OtOoPCs and #991 (except for vampirism and art upgrade) but we've seen:
    - Really Young Durkon with hair on his chin (#947).
    - Kid Durkon with a goatee (#962).
    - Amish Young Durkon with a neck beard (#983).
    - Student Durkon with a real beard and losing hair (#954).

I don't think that Durkon in 962 could be 15 and that every other stage occurs in the following 15 years.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

12. - Top - End - #552

Isn't this off-topic? Unless I missed something, we have no quote discussing the height of any of the dwarves.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Isn't this off-topic? Unless I missed something, we have no quote discussing the height of any of the dwarves.
    I don't think it's you missing anything, really; I certainly don't see a proposal for the related quote.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2015-06-24 at 11:43 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I don't think it's you missing anything, really; I certainly don't see a proposal for the related quote.
    I support the inclusion of this quote. One strip, and theories raged about a half-human dwarf...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

...OK. Before anyone (else) gets any (more) ideas that I'm a victim of overexposure to ripening enzymes....

I'm against inclusion of the quote about Elan on the Star Trek wallpaper (because as Gwynfrid pointed out, it has no bearing on the comic) and the quote about Thirden's height (seriously, what even brought that on in the first place?). Since they were shaky on support before, and the last expression of support (of any variety) was made almost two weeks ago....They're below the threshold to be included.

Which means we have seven new quotes (across six entries) in the include-without-vote range for the next update cycle. Normally I'd just include them, but since I've been slipping behind and this is the first time anyone's seen my proposals for the titles and descriptions....If anyone has any alterations to propose, or has any last minute statements of (dis)approval on them, now's the time:

About Thirden
    He made an effort to improve his diction over the years, and "Squeaky" is a nickname about his singing voice. Also, he's not Durkon's biological uncle.
    #991 06/22/2015
    Colorization of #991
    "...I had to save it at a lower color depth...."
    #991 06/22/2015
    On Veldrina Representing the Western and Elven Churches
    "...she's an elf, and the elves don't worship the Northern Gods."
    #990 06/15/2015
    The New Typeface in the Latest Comics
    "Wildwords Lowercase from Comicraft."
    #990 06/12/2015
    On Character Agency and Character Death
    "It's really just about stories holding together and one thing leading to another."
    #981 05/01/2015
    On The Crayons of Time Drawings
    "It's real crayon."
    #273 01/30/2006

I realize there's still some alteration of existing entries to address (the cameo entry, the categorization of the Martin entry and the inclusion of the older Pratchett entry), but...let's take care of the additions first; it'll be harder for me to catch up if I insist on handling everything at once, and I'm reasonably certain the addition of new quotes holds more interest than maintenance on existing quotes.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #556

I may have included Thirden's height since I found him tall in #991, but I guess more appearances will show him normal.
    Regarding proposed quotes, I'm against most.

First one is ok, since it's about several different things, why not.
    Colorization? Did anyone even made mention of what was odd-colored?
    I'm not sure Giant answered the question in Veldrina's quote, or I don't get it. Real question would be "why isn't anyone from a bigger deity representating these churches?"
    Is the font really interesting?
    The one about character's death is welcome.
    The use of crayons is already mentionned in twitter's Q&As: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...43833691287553

In short:
    YES
    NO
    NO
    NO
    YES
    NO
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-07-08 at 06:02 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I may have included Thirden's height since I found him tall in #991, but I guess more appearances will show him normal.

I'm not sure Giant answered the question in Veldrina's quote, or I don't get it. Real question would be "why isn't anyone from a bigger deity representating these churches?"
    Is the fond really interesting?
    The use of crayons is already mentionned in twitter's Q&As: https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/statu...43833691287553

In short:
    YES
    NO
    NO
    NO
    YES
    NO
    I agree with most of this, although I would say yes to the third and fourth quotes as well. People have asked about fonts before, and as someone else mentioned earlier, some people are really into that kind of thing, especially other aspiring webcomic-makers. I couldn't care much less about fonts myself, but I think it should stay in. I also think there's enough solid content in the third quote - mostly about why The Giant made the artistic and storytelling decisions that he did - that it should go in.

The last one is a pretty clear example of redundancy, though (seriously impressive catch there). And yeah, a quote about one comic's colorization being a teeny weeny bit off - which, as you noted, literally nobody seems to have commented on - seems about as petty and dull as you can get. I oppose the inclusion of both of those.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-07-08 at 05:10 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

18. - Top - End - #558

Is the font really interesting?
    Good catch on the redundancy. I'm a little bit on the fence, since it isn't indexed, so I wouldn't have been able to find it myself. On the other hand, I could always ask the question on the forum and I bet someone would answer it within the next 15 minutes. Let's use the redundancy rule.

On colorization, well, it mattered enough to the Giant himself that he posted it before anybody could ask. On the font, and on the "is it interesting enough" criterion generally: "Interesting" has always been viewed as a very, very low bar here. This is because "interesting" is very much in the eye of the famous monster covered by some company's intellectual property rights. In other words: These details matter to a portion of the audience, we should include them.

In short: Yes to the first 5, No to the crayon one.

19. - Top - End - #559

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    On colorization, well, it mattered enough to the Giant himself that he posted it before anybody could ask.
    Given how minutely people have examined the colours of elements of the comic in the past, I have to wonder if the Giant posted this to pre-empt such discussion.

Then again this quote is probably of interest to precisely those people.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

On Character Agency and Character Death
    "It's really just about stories holding together and one thing leading to another."

In favour of including this, but not as a separate entry, it should be a "see also" to the existing entry for character death.
    something like this:

On Choices and Character Deaths
    "Character deaths are a function of that character's traits, not random. Their deaths flow logically from their flaws." But don't read too much into it.
    -.____________________

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

For me,

YES
    NO
    NO
    YES
    YES
    NO

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

No across the board

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sure there's a reason why the tweets aren't indexed, but..what is it? Because the comment about the crayons isn't indexed yet, I say include it.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

I only vote yes for the death and agency one, the others are no for me.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm not really in favor of two and five; one I feel doesn't offer much information of value, The other is already recorded in the transcript. I thought we had a quote on the font already, but I guess not?

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #566

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I'm sure there's a reason why the tweets aren't indexed, but..what is it? Because the comment about the crayons isn't indexed yet, I say include it.
    Because no one offered to do the work. Also, many of the quotes in the Twitter Q&A are just witty non-answers.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Voting yes to the inclusion of all of the proposed quotes except the crayon one, which is demonstrably redundant.

I also agree with Ron Miel that the quote about character agency and death should be added to the existing quote as a "see also".
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Voting yes to the inclusion of all of the proposed quotes except the crayon one, which is demonstrably redundant.
    It's true we don't need both, but IMHO the forum quote is better than the Twitter one. I think it's the forum one that should be kept.
    -.____________________

29. - Top - End - #569
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I vote yes on the first and third, "see also" on the fifth, no on the second and fourth, and I'm abstaining on the last. For clarity:

YES
    NO
    YES
    NO
    SEE ALSO (or YES if this has inadequate support)
    ABSTENTION.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

30. - Top - End - #570

Looks like the thread is now trending towards exclusion, that's interesting. It used to be the other way around, just a few months ago.

.... Wait. Our Revered Banana has NOT called a vote. There's a whole procedure for that. This was just a final call for comments.

@martianmister: You posted the same thing twice. Funny, the forum usually rejects duplicates?