New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments IV - A Rich Source of Quotassium

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Fun quiz for grammarians!
    Show
    "I ate a lot of fruit, because there were a lot of fruits available."

What is the difference in plurality for "fruit/fruits" in that sentence?
    Spoiler: Boring answer to syntaxians?
    Show
    The plural "fruit" refers to the total amount, while the plural "fruits" means that there were different types

edit: first person on page 2!

...this would be ironic back in 2014
    Last edited by Tragak; 2015-02-25 at 07:42 PM.
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

Tragak's Planar Reconstruction Archive (current active project: Acheron)

Avatar Credit goes to: Chd. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Because the plural of index is "indices," for one.

Spoiler: Fun quiz for grammarians!
    Show
    "I ate a lot of fruit, because there were a lot of fruits available."

What is the difference in plurality for "fruit/fruits" in that sentence?
    Plurals are always so much fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tragak beat me to this, but the first one means many of one kind, while the other means many kinds

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I am also in favor of keeping all interviews in their entirety but adding comments in them (as was done in the Geekademia interview) for parts that are now outdated or irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I would support this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    As would I. It keeps the quotes around while letting people know the context around them has since changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Fourthed. It makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Me too. Happy new thread, at any rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I support it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    That's how I'd prefer the index to function as a whole, so support for this.
    So...is that the only such comment you're all thinking should be added?

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    But why isn't the "Thread History" subsection called "The Index of the Indexes of the Giant's Comments"?
    Principally because I added the section because people were mentioning they couldn't find a "thread history" list; naming the category something else would introduce the same issue.

Also, the Department of Redundancy Department denied it. Twice. Concurrently.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Actually, it can be both.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    So...is that the only such comment you're all thinking should be added?

Principally because I added the section because people were mentioning they couldn't find a "thread history" list; naming the category something else would introduce the same issue.

Also, the Department of Redundancy Department denied it. Twice. Concurrently.
    Personally, I feel that the curator (ie you) should also be allowed and encouraged to indicate redirects in places where, for example, Rich's opinion has evolved. For example, an annotation that says something like "For Rich's latest expressed opinion on this topic, see quote X under section Y." However such comments are probably unnecessary when doing things like pointing out that comic page X has made a quote redundant.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, English tends to generalize the plurals for most words, even if they traditionally had an irregular plural. Indexes is perfectly fine, as is cactuses, octopuses, oxes, etc.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    If we're on removing stuff anyway: maybe the twitter questions should be cleaned up. There are at least three questions about "the new book" (will there be a break?, will there be a book? and was this the last panel?) that seem quite useless now.

Unless, for academic posterity, it was decided to just include all twitter-questions, in which case never mind me.
    I never understood the value of keeping a Q&A "in its entirety", unless certain questions are linked to others, such as follow-up questions for example. But these 3 questions are unconnected, they might as well have been asked on a different day. Following the book release, these questions are pure clutter.

EDIT: and adding extra comments after such questions would help with the silly feel, for sure. But at the end of the day, it means adding still more clutter.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-02-25 at 10:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Plurals are always so much fun.

Puzzle:

find English plural nouns ending with the following letters: d, g, h, k, l, p.

I can think of at least two for each letter.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Puzzle:

I have to admit, I do not share the same knowledge. I can think if only a few, like sheep or cod. Care to share your answers?

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Eh, English tends to generalize the plurals for most words, even if they traditionally had an irregular plural. Indexes is perfectly fine, as is cactuses, octopuses, oxes, etc.
    Nitpicking, but octopuses is the "correct" plural; changing -us to -i is a Latin thing, and the word is derived from Greek. Octopi is okay, though, for a similar reason that indexes is :)
    Last edited by rodneyAnonymous; 2015-02-26 at 01:31 AM.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Delurking... Don't mind me...

What if The Index was ammended to say some version of the following:
    "Quotes may not be removed from The Index"?

It might sound silly, but wouldn't that strengthen the supposed-level of viability we look for when adding a quote? That is, wouldn't we be willing to wait an extra week to see if the question is answered in the next strip -- rather than be stuck with a redundant quote? -- or to make sure a quote isn't just being used to answer one (insane) poster's question?

There are other reasons why not removing posts might be useful, too, but I'll leave those for less-sleepy posters to come up with.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    Nitpicking, but octopuses is the "correct" plural; changing -us to -i is a Latin thing, and the word is derived from Greek. Octopi is okay, though, for a similar reason that indexes is :)
    Nitpicking, but since it's derived from Greek, octopodes is the "correct" plural.

However, I am of the opinion that we shouldn't use the history of a word to determine its usage in english, and instead just use whichever plural makes the most sense to the actual, living users of the language, not people who have been dead for centuries, and therefore I think Octopuses is correct as well as Octopi, since so many people use that plural it has become standard.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-02-26 at 10:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

What hath I wrought?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #44

The correct plural is the one(s) people understand today, not the one Aristotle or Cicero would have used.
    Last edited by Miriel; 2015-02-26 at 11:51 AM.
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    The correct plural is the one(s) people understand today, not the one Aristotle or Cicero would have used.
    That's a much better way of putting it.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Knight View Post
    Delurking... Don't mind me...

What if The Index was ammended to say some version of the following:
    "Quotes may not be removed from The Index"?

It might sound silly, but wouldn't that strengthen the supposed-level of viability we look for when adding a quote?
    Very unlikely, imho. People will take a stand based on what they feel today, not out of some vague sense of responsibility for what might happen in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Knight View Post
    That is, wouldn't we be willing to wait an extra week to see if the question is answered in the next strip -- rather than be stuck with a redundant quote? -- or to make sure a quote isn't just being used to answer one (insane) poster's question?
    I don't see a problem in entering a quote that is useful for a certain amount of time, then removing it when its usefulness expires due to the comic's evolution, or to a later quote.

On the other hand I do see a problem with having no rules for clean-up, and even more so, having a rule that explictly forbids de-cluttering.

On the matter of plurals in the English language, I have no opinion, lacking competence of any sort to build one. I can only remark that a discussion of spelling is a surefire way to derail a thread that, by definition, attracts the nitpickiest of the Forum's nitpicker population

17. - Top - End - #47

Chimera

What hath I wrought?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    On the matter of plurals in the English language, I have no opinion, lacking competence of any sort to build one. I can only remark that a discussion of spelling is a surefire way to derail a thread that, by definition, attracts the nitpickiest of the Forum's nitpicker population
    This thread is now temporarily "The Grammar and Spelling of the Index of the Giant's Comments." New rules will soon be proposed and voted upon for how to address grammar and spelling issues in the posts here, including whether or not to edit and correct the Giant's own grammar with the same nitpickiness that the forums analyze every other thing that he creates ever ever.

18. - Top - End - #48

We are now temporarily naming this thread "The Grammar and Spelling of the Index of the Giant's Comments." We will soon propose and vote upon new rules for how to address grammar and spelling issues in the posts here, including whether or not to edit and correct the Giant's own grammar with the same nitpickiness that the forums analyze every other thing that he creates ever ever.
    Fixed it for you
    Last edited by Tragak; 2015-02-26 at 01:27 PM.
    A game is a fictional construct created for the sake of the players, not the other way around. If you have a question "How do I keep X from happening at my table," and you feel that the out-of-game answer "Talk the the other people at your table" won't help, then the in-game answers "Remove mechanics A, B, and/or C, impose mechanics L, M, and/or N" will not help either.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

What hath I wrought?
    You have wrought...iron? Maybe cold wrought iron (wrought cold iron?), since silver dragons have the Cold subtype....

This thread is now temporarily "The Grammar and Spelling of the Index of the Giant's Comments." New rules will soon be proposed and voted upon for how to address grammar and spelling issues in the posts here, including whether or not to edit and correct the Giant's own grammar with the same nitpickiness that the forums analyze every other thing that he creates ever ever.
    I would be concerned about the risk of implosion when Durkon's accent comes up. It may very well be a safeguard against that degree of nitpickinessousity.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be concerned about the risk of implosion when Durkon's accent comes up. It may very well be a safeguard against that degree of nitpickinessousity.
    The Transcript of the Stick has debates about Durkon's accent constantly.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

You have wrought...iron? Maybe cold wrought iron (wrought cold iron?), since silver dragons have the Cold subtype....
    I'm good with that rationale.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #52

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    Fixed it for you
    Ironically, just yesterday I was tutoring students on active vs passive voice and how to make their writing more direct.

23. - Top - End - #53

Ironically, just yesterday I tutored students on active vs passive voice and how to make their writing more direct.
    Are you doing this on purpose

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Puzzle:

I have to admit, I do not share the same knowledge. I can think if only a few, like sheep or cod. Care to share your answers?
    Any takers? I can confirm that the two given are on my list.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Tragak View Post
    Fixed it for you
    It's totally fascinating to see how eager the thread's participants are, when it comes to confirming their unparalleled capacity for nitpickicism.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Speaking as a devil's advocate, I'm personally a fan of sticking to Greek and Latin roots whenever possible, simply because those languages form the roots of so many Romance languages, which means that someone who bothers to learn one or both of the two tongues acquires a dramatic advantage in learning the spelling and grammar of so many modern European languages. In my (admittedly quite limited) experience, it's much easier to learn a language when you have an understanding of how it developed, and don't have to absorb a seemingly arbitrary and endless list of rules in the process. There's some of that no matter what, but minimizing it is always nice.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Speaking as a devil's advocate, I'm personally a fan of sticking to Greek and Latin roots whenever possible, simply because those languages form the roots of so many Romance languages, which means that someone who bothers to learn one or both of the two tongues acquires a dramatic advantage in learning the spelling and grammar of so many modern European languages. In my (admittedly quite limited) experience, it's much easier to learn a language when you have an understanding of how it developed, and don't have to absorb a seemingly arbitrary and endless list of rules in the process. There's some of that no matter what, but minimizing it is always nice.
    Why on earth would you try to insist on sticking to Latin and Greek when trying to come up with standards for a Germanic language? That's how we got that idiotic "split infinitive" garbage, and probably a whole host of other pointless "rules", in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Why on earth would you try to insist on sticking to Latin and Greek when trying to come up with standards for a Germanic language? That's how we got that idiotic "split infinitive" garbage, and probably a whole host of other pointless "rules", in the first place.
    My favourite also involves "to"! English doesn't have an indirect object, that was just stolen from Latin without thinking. "I gave the chocolates from France to Jane" has two perfectly normal nouns at the centre of prepositional phrases, but 8th grade English keeps insisting that "Jane" is somehow magical just because it would have been dative-cased by Cicero.

Oh, also the attempts to disallow "It's me!" That's a case where English manages to be more regular than Latin, but heaven forfend we treat copular verbs in English differently than sum, esse, fui, eh?
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-02-26 at 09:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*checks thread title*
    *checks thread conversation*

A little topic drift is fine. Hell, I do it myself all the time.

Still, getting a bit much, no?
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    *checks thread title*
    *checks thread conversation*

A little topic drift is fine. Hell, I do it myself all the time.

Still, getting a bit much, no?
    I like to think of this language discussion as further evidence that thread rules are difficult to enforce solely on the language