New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments IV - A Rich Source of Quotassium

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    [...]I'm too familiar with the Index and the linked quotes (and in some cases their context) to really see what would improve it.
    Familiar? You could recite the index word for word if you needed to.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I don't think he's ever talked about "it's a story as explanation" in any depth before (I've seen it mentioned, but only beyond in passing that I can recall). And I'm rather confident this is the first he's said anything about statistical verisimilitude before....
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's used the phrase, but he's definitely spoken on the topic of statistical verisimilitude at least once before. I can be fairly certain of this because reading the quote I'm thinking of genuinely changed how I look at representation in art.

Anyway, I'm on the fence as to whether or not to include. Is it redundant? I'm genuinely not sure. I don't have a strong feeling on the matter, so I'll leave the decision up to others and get back to writing my thesis.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-03-29 at 01:04 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif
    Further, the Index isn't meant to be a comprehensive list of everything the Giant's ever posted (much to SaintRidley's ongoing chagrin).
    Hey. Rich's thoughts on Battlestar Galactica and Fern Gully - those don't need to be here. I've never said this needs to be a comprehensive list of all of Rich's posts (that's what his post history is for). I just want it to be a comprehensive index of all of his posts about the Order of the Stick and the craft of writing.

And I don't think redundancy should really enter into those, because either Rich has changed his mind (in which case it's worth looking at the older quote and the newer one to gain a better understanding of the trajectory of Rich's feelings about what the comic does and about the writing process) or he's offering us multiple explanations, some of which may not click with a person but one of which may. Having them all (under a central entry such as "To What Extent is Representation a Writer's Duty" or something - not dissimilar to what we already have) with a central couple quotes tackling specific aspects of the central entry with see alsos for other, "redundant" takes on that aspect, can only increase the usability of the index, I think.

And the space argument - we are on the internet. Another post at the beginning of the thread is doable. It's even been done. It is not some world-ending thing.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2015-03-29 at 01:07 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Familiar? You could recite the index word for word if you needed to.
    I think you're overestimating the clarity of my random recall, my memory's not quite as good as it used to be (perhaps a result of being polymorphed into a banana). Even if you weren't, that's still in the "too familiar" range, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I've never said this needs to be a comprehensive list of all of Rich's posts (that's what his post history is for). I just want it to be a comprehensive index of all of his posts about the Order of the Stick and the craft of writing.
    Ah. Guess I didn't remember all the details of your long-running trend to support never removing anything (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    And the space argument - we are on the internet. Another post at the beginning of the thread is doable. It's even been done. It is not some world-ending thing.
    It's not storage that's the issue, it's the ease of use for users. It's the difference between the drive space on a web server and the connection speed of the web browsers accessing it.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fair enough on some of these comments, I am new to the thread, so was unaware that there was active selection of comments. (It's still the case that all active selection of data provides a bias... for example, you're attempting to instill a bias against redundancy.) I do still feel that newer references should supplant older ones, and that there is value in this statement beyond what's been said before.

I was thrown by the word "index" too, which is often in common parlance an exhaustive list of elements: Rather than a synopsis, or an appendix, or a "curated list" or "selection" - all of which I would take to mean partial lists. Perhaps if I could suggest the word "curated" be added to the title in future threads, it might infer to future readers that there is an active selection process involved?
    S&P is a comic I draw that's not as popular as this one.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ahdok View Post
    Fair enough on some of these comments, I am new to the thread, so was unaware that there was active selection of comments. (It's still the case that all active selection of data provides a bias... for example, you're attempting to instill a bias against redundancy.) I do still feel that newer references should supplant older ones, and that there is value in this statement beyond what's been said before.

I was thrown by the word "index" too, which is often in common parlance an exhaustive list of elements: Rather than a synopsis, or an appendix, or a "curated list" or "selection" - all of which I would take to mean partial lists. Perhaps if I could suggest the word "curated" be added to the title in future threads, it might infer to future readers that there is an active selection process involved?
    I believe that's in one of the existing tags for the thread actually, assuming anyone actually looks at those. Regardless, the title can only tell people so much about the thread.

Beyond that though, if you feel the statement has value beyond whats already in the index, please do not hesitate to elaborate on that. We are not voting yet, and arguments for or against inclusion are allowed and encouraged to go as in-depth as the poster can fit in their post. Nobody every changed anyone's mind by not presenting a countering viewpoint.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

It's not storage that's the issue, it's the ease of use for users. It's the difference between the drive space on a web server and the connection speed of the web browsers accessing it.
    Well, some people are arguing that we could run out of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Indeed we are, because:

1) There is a limit to the amount of text that fits into a post. Including unneeded quotes pushes us closer to the limit, and risks running out of space.
    I agree that space is very much not an issue, ever. The index currently takes up five posts with two reserved; it could easily take up ten posts. Or fifteen. Or twenty. I'm not saying that would be an ideal size, but the fact remains that you can't rightly say we have a limit, much less one that we're getting close to.

At any rate, posts have at least a limit of 49,000 characters (the Geekademia article post is a little over that). Saying that the one hundred characters a 'see also' would add brings us closer to that limit is like saying pouring an eyedropper into a bath is bringing it closer to flooding. It's 0.2% of a single post's limit and 0.028% of the current allotted size for the index at large. Like, c'mon. That's not a relevant figure to worry about.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2015-03-29 at 03:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Beyond that though, if you feel the statement has value beyond whats already in the index, please do not hesitate to elaborate on that. We are not voting yet, and arguments for or against inclusion are allowed and encouraged to go as in-depth as the poster can fit in their post. Nobody every changed anyone's mind by not presenting a countering viewpoint.
    Well, I, for one, believe it's worth including because it is an extensively argued viewpoint in a debate that frequently shows up on this forum and elsewhere, ie if a story needs any degree of resemblance to the real world to be credible; and in particular, if representation needs to be similar to statistics we see in the real world to be acceptable as default. None of the existing quotes, to my knowledge, address the representation issue under that angle.

Conversely, you're welcome to point to any one or several existing quotes to back up the claim that the proposed addition is redundant.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    At any rate, posts have at least a limit of 49,000 characters (the Geekademia article post is a little over that). Saying that the one hundred characters a 'see also' would add brings us closer to that limit is like saying pouring an eyedropper into a bath is bringing it closer to flooding. It's 0.2% of a single post's limit and 0.028% of the current allotted size for the index at large. Like, c'mon. That's not a relevant figure to worry about.
    The limit is 50,000 characters per post (the forum is nice enough to tell you how many characters you've got and what is the limit is on a post that goes over, even on a preview). Currently the first two posts total 62,200 characters; so we've got a ways to go still before we need three posts

(The Geekademia interview itself is 49,912 characters...which is why the table of contents is in a separate post.)
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2015-03-29 at 05:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Well, I, for one, believe it's worth including because it is an extensively argued viewpoint in a debate that frequently shows up on this forum and elsewhere, ie if a story needs any degree of resemblance to the real world to be credible; and in particular, if representation needs to be similar to statistics we see in the real world to be acceptable as default. None of the existing quotes, to my knowledge, address the representation issue under that angle.

Conversely, you're welcome to point to any one or several existing quotes to back up the claim that the proposed addition is redundant.
    I distinctly remember a statement that The Giant made on just that topic, and because it actually changed my mind somewhat, I'm pretty certain I'm not making it up. However, I can't seem to find it in The Index. Does anyone else remember a post like that?
    Last edited by Emanick; 2015-03-29 at 05:42 PM.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I distinctly remember a statement that The Giant made on just that topic, and because it actually changed my mind somewhat, I'm pretty certain I'm not making it up. However, I can't seem to find it in The Index. Does anyone else remember a post like that?
    Nothing comes to mind...and I couldn't find anything that seemed to be exactly what you described; closest I found was this (which is in the Index), this (which I'd never seen before), and this (which appears to have been proposed during the first Index thread (the third link), but escaped notice).

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nothing comes to mind...and I couldn't find anything that seemed to be exactly what you described; closest I found was this (which is in the Index), this (which I'd never seen before), and this (which appears to have been proposed during the first Index thread (the third link), but escaped notice).
    The last link contains three posts by the Giant in the thread - the last of these may be what Emanick is looking for.
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

13. - Top - End - #193

WolfInSheepsClothing

So, this quote that got proposed. I'm for it's inclusion; it is new information on the specifics of Rich's views on representation and, more significantly to my mind, on verisimilitude. I've seen no post by Rich* (I'd never seen that post from two years ago, it not being one of the well-cited posts about representation) that speaks so strongly against verisimilitude. In fact, given what he said in his New World posts about drawing information from real cultures, I believed he held the opposite view. Much of what he's previously said about representation has inclined me to that idea; he seemed to approve the "half of all people..." argument that he ridicules in the post under discussion. This may not represent a concrete change in his views, but it's a massive departure from his apparent views on the subject.

*I rewrote this clause like five times because I've never actually heard Rich say anything. Fricken internet.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2015-03-30 at 02:04 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Vargtass View Post
    The last link contains three posts by the Giant in the thread - the last of these may be what Emanick is looking for.
    Thanks for the help, y'all. None of those links (or other pages on the threads they belong to) contain the post I was thinking of, so I'm going to scrap any rejection on the basis of redundancy. A comment in The Index that duplicates information in a lost post nobody can find is not "redundant" in any meaningful sense of the word.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Colossus in the Playground

More on verisimilitude.

I like seeing these details on the writing process.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that the new post could be included, perhaps as a see also to the other proposed quote?

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I think that the new post could be included, perhaps as a see also to the other proposed quote?
    Both posts should be included, they are really one entry. This makes for a great window into the author's thoughts on writing methods. Inititally I thought this was about the somewhat tired subject of inclusion, but it turns out it is a lot more interesting in what it says about writing in general: It belongs in "Writing Process and Story Development" rather than "Real World Intent".

18. - Top - End - #198

Not eligible for the index, but it's probably no coincidence Rich just made this tweet.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

19. - Top - End - #199

GnomePirate

I think this new one does a way better job of focusing on new information. I would certainly include this one. If it were up to me, probably only this one out of the two.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Both posts should be included, they are really one entry. This makes for a great window into the author's thoughts on writing methods. Inititally I thought this was about the somewhat tired subject of inclusion, but it turns out it is a lot more interesting in what it says about writing in general: It belongs in "Writing Process and Story Development" rather than "Real World Intent".
    This - though I'm also OK if we decide to keep them purely because of the "somewhat tired subject of inclusion" as well. Both of the new quotes, in my opinion, are worth indexing - for their view at Rich's writing theory; for their view on inclusion; for their look at how Rich's thought process has changed; and, frankly, for their overall social commentary (even if that's not something that's an "index worthy" quality).

Both of these quotes should go in. The second, I think, is better. Make it the main. Make the first a "see also."
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    This - though I'm also OK if we decide to keep them purely because of the "somewhat tired subject of inclusion" as well. Both of the new quotes, in my opinion, are worth indexing - for their view at Rich's writing theory; for their view on inclusion; for their look at how Rich's thought process has changed; and, frankly, for their overall social commentary (even if that's not something that's an "index worthy" quality).

Both of these quotes should go in. The second, I think, is better. Make it the main. Make the first a "see also."
    Agreed. It's about the writing process, after all.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, it looks like there's a lot of support for the first one (17 for, 5 against) and no one's been against this second one, so I guess we're up to four quotes now!

On Elven and Goblin Deities
    The Elves worship Western gods in addition to their own. The goblins worshipped no one prior to the ascension of the Dark One.
    #978 03/19/2015 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    On the Forum and the Comic
    "I don't mind the analysis (or overanalysis) of the comic anymore...." See also here, on the topic of forum speculation.
    #978 03/24/2015 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.

Replaces an existing entry.
    Verisimulitude as a Tool
    It's for story elements that shouldn't attract reader attention. More here.
    #979 03/30/2015 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2015-03-31 at 03:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Well, it looks like there's a lot of support for the first one (17 for, 5 against) and no one's been against this second one, so I guess we're up to four quotes now!
    For what is worth, I oppose both. My reasons are the same for first and second, I just did not see a reason to repeat myself a second time within two pages.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-03-31 at 09:33 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    For what is worth, I oppose both. My reasons are the same for first and second, I just did not see a reason to repeat myself a second time within two pages.

GW
    Same here as well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Same here as well.
    Since we operate on the post level and there's two different posts, and it would be inappropriate for me to make assumptions for anyone else (such as whether the posts should be considered two parts of the same quote, much less if disagreement with one constitutes disagreement with both), it kind of makes a difference...In this case with the two of you, the difference between 100% support for inclusion and 75% support for inclusion, and half way to putting it in range to be PMed on given its support at this time.

Anyone else want to weigh in on the second post?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm in favor of including both.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Obviously pro-both here.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

28. - Top - End - #208

I'm also for including both.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

29. - Top - End - #209

BardGuy

Both. The subject seems to be a recurring one.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

GW
    I'm with the canis lupus.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2