New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spaceside

1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Spaceside

Salmagundi Station - Canteena

"The vast majority of power around here is made by these Evolution Industries magitek reactors. Not sure how similar they are to nuclear, but they're worth looking into," Kate says. When the topic of a trading chain comes up, she looks confused and shakes her head. "No, I don't think I have anything like that or any favors I need done. I mean... no, there's nothing I have that would just be useless to me. Hey, you said you needed to update your phone so that it worked?"

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Salmagundi Station - Canteena]

"Aaww... I was sure this would be the start of some kind of quest," Wyverly grouses. "Are you sure you don't have any random trinkets? Or know someone with random trinkets?"

"Magical power generators?" Leona replies, making a rather sour face. "What are they doing? Setting up a pair of ring gates to create a perpetual motion electrical generator? Or is it something crazy and convoluted?"

"We do, yes," Kirin replies regarding the phone. "It isn't able to interact with any of the cells or satellites here in the Nexus. We've been able to use its offline functions, but that really isn't super-helpful."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I don't know how they work, no," Kate says, "But I DO know someone that can fix your phone. There's an expert in cross-tech compatibility at the mall. She often does simple fixes for free, and if you need a new phone, you can get a cheap one there."

4. - Top - End - #124

"Oh well. I'm sure I'll just be able to check whatever passes for the Internet here once our phone is working again," Leona replies.

"Free sounds like something we can afford right now," Kirin says. "We can't really waste any of our funds until we manage to get a job."

"So no we're going to travel from here to Mallside? Well! That sounds like the next leg of the quest to me!" Wyverly proclaims.

What's up with her and quests, anyway?

She sure is weird.

"We're Tristan Lycia, collectively. I'm Kirin."
    "Leona."
    "And I'm Wyverly!"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'll show you the way, inside can be really confusing if you're not used to it. Come on, the fastest way back to the surface is the Riftline."

Kate is about to get up, but looks down at her almost-forgotten cheesecake.

"...in a minute."

6. - Top - End - #126

"We rode the Riftline on the way here," Wyverly says. "It's a pretty cool train! Though we fell asleep about five minutes in."

Hard to blame them.

They have been through a lot today.

"What do you mean, back to the surface?" Leona asks. "Is this station on top of a mountain?"

Or maybe it's something really exotic, like a flying station!

Leona is pretty sure she spotted a flying portion of the city earlier.

It was incredible!

All sorts of flying cars.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

[Kyrian's Fury]

Times are tense aboard the command cruiser: a *huge* explosion was just registered in the vicinity of Town... er... Inside, and things are looking a bit unreasonable. Many communications are now flying between the cruiser and the base in the Mountains.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kate finishes the small cheesecake. "Uh... come on, let me show you something."

Kate will lead the trio(?) out, and around a corner not to the riftline, but... to a group of windows.

...Nice planet. Odd colors.

9. - Top - End - #129

[Salmagundi Station]

Mmm...

Cheese cake...

Tristan follows Kate and...

Then...

Gapes.

No words.

No smart-ass quips.

Just wide-eyed wonder.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Welcome to the nexus. We have a space station now. That's always been here, apparently. Even though I remember researching to see if there was something like this, and didn't find anything like this..."

Kate sighs. "I'm not complaining, it's just weird."

11. - Top - End - #131

[Salmagundi Station]

"Wow..."
    "I guess so..."
    "Holy crap, look! That's a Federation Shuttle! And there's an Imperial Shuttle! Holy crap, is that one of those bio-ships from Babylon Five?"

Tristan sure is an interesting... people.

"This is amazing! Even better than I imagined! Hahaha, this is almost worth getting all chimera'd up just to see it, I'm geeking out here!"
    Wyverly laughs.

Well!

She's certainly taking to the Nexus well enough, isn't she?

It's probably good that at least one of them is having fun with it.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Yeah, the Riftline comes up here by wormhole or something. Let's head down to mallside, it'll be fast."

Kate gestures back in the direction of the Riftline.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

[Station]

'I'm... tired.' Sybil stifles a yawn. Looks like ghosts need breaks too. 'I can handle myself... thanks for meeting, and goodbye.'

Sybil turns round a corner, and vanishes.

14. - Top - End - #134

[Salmagundi Station => Riftline]

Tristan will follow Kate to the space-train down to Mallside!

Assuming nothing weird happens (ha!) they'll have their noses pressed to the glass watching SPACE! whizzing by the whole time. Or at least Wyverly will. Kirin will be busy doing that quiet contemplation thing.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Wreck - Container Thief]

This nearest container, moderately large, is full of papers, visible through the translucent sides. Must be a million pages in there.

This small one here, maybe six inches tall, with rounded ends, is cold to the touch. It looks to unscrew to open, and has what looks like just dirt in it.

This one here, larger but still small contains magnets, each separated into foam cells.

This one here - as the Omwati approaches, holographic warning signs spring into existence, a mild warning beep sounds, and hot red lights flicker near its clasps and corners - maybe she should be careful with that one.

Another one hear has an actual listing in several languages: Navigational devices.

This small box looks incomplete. It isn't apparent how it's standing, actually it's just sort of hovering.

Here, paintings. Similar in style to the one found up above. Looks like whoever owned these took a choice one to display and left the others in storage.

Another rounded canister, this one full of clinking clear gemstones.

There's a sound, probably from near that cluster of large hexagonal containers. Something scraping against metal. Humanoid footsteps.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Opportunistic Scavenger

Ignoring the paper, the Omwati will open the dirt and scan it. If it's just dirt, she'll toss it aside. If it isn't, she'll pocket it. The magnets are left. The dangerous one is also scanned, to find out what is inside; anything radioactive will be left and given a wide berth, same if it contains a chemical weapon or engineered pathogen. Navigational devices? She'll take that box to her cart, and takes note of the hovering one before hearing the footsteps.

Drawing a small blaster pistol from her bandoleer, she gingerly approaches the noise, snatching the gems as she goes.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

[Kyrian's Fury]

Things are getting tense on the command bridge

We have a class six psionic disturbance... no, wait, seven... eight... nevermind: it's off the scale just outside of Town.
    Multiple demonic signatures, commander. And by multiple, I mean.... Inari save us all.
    Stuff's hit the fan, commander: VIGIL systems are erratic at best, compromised at worst.

An old fox listens to it all carefully. She's heard it all before, because she's caused it all before...

All stations: full alert. Lockdown, and ready stations! I want everything we have ready to go yesterday: MOVE, PEOPLE!

18. - Top - End - #138

[Wreck - Opportunistic Scavenger]

The dirt canister has plant matter buried inside. Seeds, looks like.
    The hazard box contains tiny tiny machines and small unidentified plants. It's not easy to identify more precisely than that. through the casing.

As she approaches the noise, a figure appears on the top of one of the big hexagonal containers. They were walking, and just now crouched down. It looks to be some sort of near-human. Feminine, skin tan and pale green in bands, with big dark eyes, and where it would have hair on its head, spike like those the Omwati saw in the hallway up above grow from its scalp. The spikes then continue down its back, making it look just a bit like a porcupine. It wears only a tattered band of fabric going from one shoulder to the opposite hip, with a badge of some sort near the top.

It looks over at the scavenger and grins. Got a lot of sharp teeth, there.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Seeds are good if they're exotic. But the Omwati can't do that as she lacks the resources. The hazard box will be slipped into a pouch.

She raises her blaster at the near-human. "Look, miss, there's plenty of loot for both of us. I am willing to share it. My ship is small, no need for conflict." She's hoping this weird woman is another scavver and not some desperate survivor driven to cannibalism to survive. Those are always harder to deal with.

Drifting in Space

It is an odd object, apparently made of red coral. Roughly spherical, smooth and unblemished. The strangest thing is that, despite its organic appearance, it is transmitting a radio signal. Mayday. Mayday.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2015-03-30 at 04:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

The strange woman gives no indication of having understood the words. But she understands having a blaster pointed in her direction.
    She drops flat and pushes away, trying to retreat behind the wall of the container. If that goes off without getting shot, there's a few departing movements, and then quiet and...where has it gone?

[Drifting in Space]

A sphere of coral? Just a shell, maybe? A living spacecraft with normal contents?
    Where in space is it drifting, in relation to the other celestial bodies and drifting things of Spaceside?

One thing about space is that it's never night time there. So it might take longer or shorter to be found.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

If the porcupine-girl moves slowly, then the Omwati won't fire. If she moves quickly, then the Omwati will, out of reflex and panic than any actual wish to do harm.

Drifting in Space

Probably not a shell; there's no obvious seams or entrances like one would find on a terrestrial mollusc. And it does not appear to have any methods of self-propulsion, either, so probably not a spacecraft. Besides which, it is very small. About four metres, and nearly perfectly spherical. Not enough for a large number of passengers, nor a large amount of cargo.

As for where it is, the coral ball has no method of propulsion, nor any means of determining what is around it, so it does not know and transmits its radio signal outwards in all directions; it is slowly drifting on the edge of the Nexus' solar system- Salmagundi Station should soon be picking up its transmission.

22. - Top - End - #142

It was quick, and the panicked shot lights up the air and brings a shout from the porcupine woman. Not pain; it wasn't aimed closely enough to catch her as she fled, but fear evident enough.

[Drifting in Space]

A liferaft, maybe. Or a lost piece of coral separated from its space-reef.

A vessel approaches, slowly, but much more quickly than simply drifting. It makes frequent jumps through space, first here, then there, with barely an observable path between the two. It's a rectangular, pointy ship about 15 meters long, composed of dark metal and the treated bones of some great beast, cold and spiky, wide at the back end and tapering towards the front. It has no obvious means of propulsion, nor any external armaments. It's heading right to the coral sphere.
    Hmm...
    The sphere is far too large to bring on-board.
    A message is radiod over as the spire-ship comes to a halt near the coral-thing.
    help is here. explain your situation.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

The Omwati keeps her gun trained on where the porcupine-girl hid, or appears to have hidden. "Sorry! You startled me. I don't mean harm, really!" She sounds a bit scared, and she really is, too.

Drifting in Space

There's a moment where the vessel keeps continuing its broadcast, before it stops midway through a 'mayday'. When the signal returns, it is far more directed, pointed at the metal-and-bone vessel. The vessel I was travelling on was attacked and destroyed by technophiles. I and two of my servants were able to encapsulate in this buoy, along with some vital materials. The buoy performed a spacejump to escape when it came under fire, but lacks navigational data. We are lost, in a lifebuoy incapable of self-propulsion and this buoy will die in another six months. We are, therefore, in rather dire straights. Will you assist? The new transmission is not as emotionless as the first, and is definitively masculine. Before, it was androgynous and synthesised, almost robotic but not quite; not as electronic. Which makes sense, as the coral lifebuoy is an unintelligent creature, operating solely upon gene-coded instinct.

24. - Top - End - #144

The porcupine-girl seems to be in the same place, from where she yells something brief and incomprehensible at the Omwati. Sounds angry, but maybe a little frightened too.
    She might notice the sound of someone else walking, trying to be quiet, from the edge of the hold, far behind her and to the left, coming closer.

[Drifting in Space]

We will tow your buoy with us back to the station we came from. How long can you remain with the materials you have?
    It's a few minutes later that a portion of the iron hull just vanishes, letting out a pair of bulky humanoid space suits. With tiny jets on their suits, they slowly float about, affixing cables to points on their ship and looping it around the coral sphere, so that it becomes tightly tied to the bottom front of the spire-ship.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

The Omwati is far too focussed on porcupine-girl to notice the footsteps, and is presently trying to ensure the other doesn't move too quickly. She's nervous and jumpy, scared she's just been found trespassing or breaking local salvage laws. "I can't understand you! Don't you speak Basic?" Everyone spoke Basic! Except Hutts, Wookiees and droids, but she tries to avoid the first two and understands several machine languages for the latter.

Drifting in Space

I have just been awoken from hibernation, and I am still connected to the relevant organs. It may be boring, but I shall survive for six months. The others have not even woken up. Alternately, I could activate the nerve-pulse that will cause the lifebuoy to shed its space-resistant outer shell. We shall then be free-floating in hibernation cocoons, pumped with hormones and easy to pull aboard. The latter is how the speaker's culture usually pick up those within a lifebuoy; it's designed to protect and supply its passengers for long periods in space, and can survive for years, but when one is found it is normally sent a kill-signal that triggers it to shed and free its passengers for pick up without them waking up until they are safely aboard.

26. - Top - End - #146

It appears that somehow, she doesn't speak Basic. Something happy is shouted back.
    Three spikes come shooting through the air towards the Omwati from wherever the sounds were.

[Drifting in Space]

Remain in your buoy in case of further misfortune. It will not take nearly 6 months.
    That said, it will be boring. It will take days to fly back to the station; they were closer than that when they got the call, and they can't go too quickly
    Perhaps you could describe what sort of beings you are.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #147

[Salad Station]

Fortuna disembarks from Riftline, stepping onto the station for the first time.

Now this is an interesting place. A marvel of engineering by any account. A place free of the usual constraints on trade found within Inside, and yet with a little less... ah... let's say flavor than the markets of Skyside.

Skyside had struck her as more than a little creepy, for a variety of reasons.

But this place?

This place seems like it would be the perfect spot to begin canvasing for tools, equipment, and information needed to continue the Bridge project. The assault on VIGIL had resulted in the loss of quite a bit of important gear, but thankfully Fortuna was able to save the components that were irreplaceable. It is here at this amazing space station that Fortuna will secure what she needs to begin again!

She appears human at the moment, clad in her usual flight jacket and with her PIP firmly affixed to her left wrist. The only thing that would make her stand out from any other human on the station is her pink hair. But then again, considering the number of anime-based space protagonists wandering around the station, maybe pink hair isn't that unusual?

Regardless, Fortuna pauses just inside the station, allowing her PIP to handshake with the station's network to establish communication and provide her with relevant information on her HUD. A few flickers later, and a glowing pathway appears in Fortuna's vision, showing her the route to the portions of the station relevant to her business.

"Okay... Time to get some fancy new information," she mutters to herself before setting off at a brisk pace. The portion of the station she's in looks like it was designed with pleasant, minimalistic ascetic. Glossy white, faintly translucent surfaces and softly glowing features predominate. Little holographic screens provide her with targeted ads as she passes, grabbing information regarding her off the Internet to try to woo her interests and finances. She has no idea how the things are able to recognize her in a human disguise, but they're doing an admirable job between the ad for premium pokemon accessories and the holographic image of an equestrian selling pies.

The Internet sure is neat!

Though it gets a little less neat and a little more creepy when it proves too accurate with target ads.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

The spikes hit the Omwati, impacting her space-suit. The suit isn't armoured, but is heavily padded. One lodges into the fabric, and goes no further. One punches straight through, into her not-gun arm, causing a scream of pain. One hits a bandoleer pouch, deflecting off the equipment within and also damaging the laser-spanner within. The Omwati scavenger swings round and points it towards where the spikes came from and blasts off a shot of her own.

Drifting in Space

I am Flesh-Wizard Istubael. I am human, though my culture has transcended our original genome. My servants are gene-constructs. I designed their genomes, implanted their symbiont organs, grew them to maturity and ensured their sterility. I am two and half metres tall, brown-skinned, with bilateral symmetry and four limbs; two arms with six-fingered hands though the number is custom. I have two eyes, gold, purple hair hanging past my shoulder joints. I am also a male; my servants are female, and appear similar. Five fingers; that's humanity's base. And you? I have given you my appearance, but I know not yours. The servants aren't actually servants; they're slaves.

29. - Top - End - #149

In some order, the Omwati will hear the bolt connect and a shout of pain in a deeper voice, and see another humanoid, a porcupine-man, cradling a burnt arm as another pair of spikes drop from his grasp to the floor of the hangar. His eyes are fixed on the Omwati, perhaps stunned by the shot. The woman is moving, climbing back onto the large container, keeping in a low crouch, ready to jump away - or towards - with something held in her right hand. Looks like a knife.

[Drifting in Space]

I am a Singer, originally human. Body layout as yours, with only five fingers per hand, 1.8 meters of height. White skin, golden hair, female. The crew is varied; there are two other humans, one male, one female, as well as an osseous construct with a 3-2 limb layout and secondary spinal column, a black-mana manifestation with chiropteran wings and a prehensile tail, and a small predatory bird, that is, a feathered flying creature with a beak structure.

The figures get back inside the ship, the hull opening and closing as quickly as it had before to readmit them, and the ship begins moving, slowly turning itself back onto the proper heading to pick up speed.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Well, that guy tried to kill her. So the Omwati has no compunctions about shooting him again, this time aiming for the centre of his chest. She doesn't notice the porcupine-girl readying herself to pounce with a knife.

Drifting in Space

I would like to see this osseous construct, and I am quite familiar with birds. I have used their bio-base before; they make elegant servitor-creatures. I personally prefer invertebrate forms, as they are hardier. The black-mana manifestation most interests me, however. Is it a form of congealed psychic energy? The Spiritualists claim to have such, though I have not witnessed one directly. They are a reclusive branch of humanity besides, focussed more upon meditation and transcending physicality- or whatever- than the mechanics and technology of the Technophiles, or the biology and gene-manipulation of my own culture, the Universetariat of Flesh. The Spiritualists and Technophiles don't refer to themselves as such, and usually refer to Flesh-Wizards as Ghouls, Bio-Warpers or Mutationists. The Technophiles and Mutationists don't get on, seeing the works of the other group as perverted and strange.