New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Searching for Sources for City/Worldbuilding

Hello all currently I am working on a homebrew world. I wanted to know what resources you all recommend to use for worldbuilding. Anything concerning cities, government structures, and geography would be especially helpful. I would love anything from books, academic articles, to other forums/postings from other people. I will be using Pathfinder as my system.

General info of the setting think an area about half again the size of Europe with Feudalism being the predominant type of government structure, although nobody agrees it seems on exactly what that means. I've seen countless different versions of it. Magic isn't uncommon, but it is not an everyday occurrence either for people living in most small villages. Thanks for the help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Searching for Sources for City/Worldbuilding

Well, there is this questionnaire which can help you to think of questions to ask, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what sources I could recommend: http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-...ing-questions/

There are various resources, from asking questions on boards to looking at RPG books that have researched something for you, to more conventional textbooks, documentaries or the like. But for broad purposes, I'm afraid there doesn't seem to be any good resource.

This page might be helpful for cities: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm
    Last edited by Mr. Mask; 2015-03-01 at 09:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

There's a Worldbuilding sub-forum in the Homebrew forum. Worth checking out. We help people there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thanks for the tip I'll post there I really appreciate it.