New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Dragon's Demand

Kathryne smiles, the first truly genuine one that Jonnie can remember her ever displaying. "I have grown fond of you, Jonnie Buckwheat. Whatever I may be, know that I am also your friend, and you have nothing to fear from my blades. When this is all over, you will be a hero, a hero that your sister would be proud of."

Kathryne was sure her performance was genuine. After all, her feelings were true. But they only served to highlight the difference between Kathryne and her adventuring party. When this was done, they would be heroes. Kathryne would not. She was not a hero, could not be. She was too far gone, too lost to the darkness to ever join them in that light. She was an assassin, and would never be anything else. So be it.

Marcus Caius, Astropath Trancendent by TheArchitect

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sitting in Bassy's library, Velgani listened to her thoughts on the books and their situation, a smile smile of amusement on his face when he periodically glanced over at Artaith's attempts to look interested. However, when the dwarf reached into her pack and pulled out the tome in question, Velgani's jaw dropped open, as he sat for a long moment watching Bassy study the books carefully. With a shake of his head, he coughed politely and smiled to Bassy. "Ah ... it seems the proverbial cat is well and truly out of the bag now. We did indeed find these books, but in our defense, we were concerned that they were more than they seemed ... and perhaps too dangerous to leave to just anyone. There was much speculation ... and discussion about what to do with them; when we couldn't come to an agreement, we entrusted the books to Artaith until such time that we could figure out what to do with them.

While I appreciate and respect your words of wisdom and warning, we must let our companions know as well. Destroying them without their knowledge would be ... problematic."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This could get interesting very quickly. Hopefully Kat is somewhat sated with her current weapons
    Status
    AC: 20 HPs: 37 CMB/D: +3/+16
    F +2 R +7 W +5
    Effects: none
    Perception +10, Stealth +5, Sense Motive +6; Spells (3/1), Luck 4/7
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground

Bassy shakes her head, "I don't blame you in the slightest. Putting these up for auction would have been a huge mistake. Confer with your companions if you must, but please, do the right thing."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith looks about with a concerned expression. "I... I'm inclined to trust your judgement, Bassy, but.. " obviously, Artaith's limited expertise has reared its head as a concern. She looks back and forth between the two, unable to make anything resembling a definite decision. Uncomfortably, she paces the books back into her sack- a pained expression on her face. "Ahhh... guess Ah'll hole 'nta 'em fer a while, yet. Still, we gotta come up with some plan fer these blasted tomes..."

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Velgani patted Artaith on the shoulder. "Don't worry ... I just want to speak with our companions first. Let's put the books away and check on them now. Lady Bassy, I appreciate your candor, wisdom and discretion as always. I am sure we shall chat again." With a low bow, Velgani rose, ready to return to the Wise Piper and join the others.

Upon entering the inn, Velgani saw the group in the back, pointing them out (perhaps needlessly) to Artaith. Sitting down, he glanced between Kat and Jonnie who quieted down as they approached. With a sigh, he glanced back to Artaith, then to his friends and said without preamble, "I think we need to destroy that book."

Show
    Let's do this!

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Kathryne looks up, and her eyes narrow. "Before we were waiting and that was acceptable. Now you want to destroy a priceless tome. What changed?" All the warmth, small though it may have been, that she had from speaking to Jonnie was gone like a candle flame before a blizzard.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Velgani sighed, leaning back in his chair. He knew this was going to get touchy. Waving to the serving girl for a pint of ale, Velgani's spoke quietly. "Why indeed? Mainly because I am concerned about how it could be used in the hands of anyone looking for it. The book is about as dark as you could imagine ... yes, even you." He smiled wanly, clearly understanding there was as much jest as truth in his words.

"It is like the difference between selling me a fine blade of the deadliest make and seeking it to you; or a book full of arcane recipes between myself and Artaith - one of us would find much more use out of these items than the other.

But, in this case, there are no casual buyers - anyone seeking this book knows exactly what they are looking for, and handing it over to any such person scares the hell out of me. Moreso than facing your ire does."

He paused as the girl dropped off the drinks, tipping her generously before takin a long pull from his mug. After she had left, he continued. "Originally, I didn't want to sell because I had some reservations, both amount the book ... and your intentions. I apologize, but I didn't feel like you were being completely honest with us. However, now I am more concerned with the warnings Artaith and I received from Bassy."

Show
    And there it is.

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Kathryne's eyes narrow at the first comment. "You presume too much, singer of songs. I would not put too much faith in the words of a creature that was attempting to kill us all, whatever he may have been in his past life." Her tone made it clear that further comments along this line would not be nearly so lightly taken.

She leans across the table with a dark expression. "And if I told you that I had a buyer now who would pay a small fortune, and was not, in fact, a dragon? Understand that you are sitting there, asking me to throw away, nay, destroy what may be the largest sum of money any of us will ever see in our lifetimes as if we were discussing which set of cups to use at afternoon tea.

Furthermore - knowledge is never codified without purpose, and rarely is that purpose entirely good, or evil. Are you certain that in destroying this tome, you will not enable a far greater evil to go unchecked? The very safe knowledge that this dragon seeks to do harm may, in the future, be able to prevent another from doing far grater harm. Are you comfortable with making that decision?
    "

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Velgani raised an eyebrow at the comment, frowning as he tried to decipher what she meant. First, singer of songs? Second, who was the shade? Suddenly, his eyes widened in realization. "What, are you referring to the ghost of Arturic? Nay, oh touchy one; nothing I said was based on what he was presumably lying about ... wasn't he? I simply refer to your typically bright and sunny disposition vice anything else." Of course, her response spoke volumes and made him wonder for a moment.

At her other comments, he simply shrugged. "Ah, so your concern is that in destroying this bit of dark literature - and yes, I believe it is dark and not for the consumption of anyone other than those with evil purposes - your concern is that by destroying it we will enable a greater evil later, but in preserving this book for our own monetary gain, we will ensure its existence for future heroes to fend of the darkness?" He chuckled aloud, albeit humorlessly. Leaning in, he matched her grim look with his own.

"My dear, I consider myself no mere novice in the art of verbal manipulation, and can appreciate an elaborate chicanery as much as the next man. But the first rule a conman learns is this: don't fall for your own con. I like fortune, almost as much as I like fame, and slightly more than the adoration of a lovely woman. I will tell you this - I gain none of these things in my advocacy for destroying the book ... hell, I'd argue I lose them by burning it to ash. As I said, I don't think the book belongs in anyone's hands that wants it, and I don't think selling it is in our best interests. For all we know, your seller is simply going to give it to the dragon, which I think is a bad idea for everyone. I do trust Bassy's advice on this one, however, and I would hope you would trust mine."

He softened his look and leaned back, running one hand through his hair as he sighed. "I know I may not be your favorite person. I may not even be a person you like at all. But I have not lied to you. Well, if I did, it was unintentional ... but I can tell you I'm not lying now."

Show
    Probably as good as it gets ... funny thing is that Kat must be feeling a little on the guilty side, no matter what she acts like. I wasn't even THINKING about what the shade said

PS - Vel's not that kind of bard ...

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Kathryne laughs, and it seems quite genuine, the sort of laugh that one displays when having downed a few too many strong wines, or having heard something quite ridiculous. "Of course he was lying. At one time or another, we've all had the opportunity to murder each other while the rest slept. I think the fact that we all remain currently un-murdered speaks volumes for the character of us all - even you, bard." she says with a grin, though once again, the smile never quite lights up her eyes.

She waves away the accusation. "I was referring to us keeping the tome safe ourselves, and not selling it - it seems clear to me that possibility is no longer on the table. Don't mistake me - I firmly believe we could sell the book and preserve its knowledge at the same time for such righteous purposes, but as it seems the allure of having one's sweetbread and eating it too does not have the same siren's call, I shall relent.

I will admit I am quite insulted that you think me so foolish as to not check my buyer before proposing to sell to them. He knows better than most the cost of betraying my trust - the least consequence of which is the ceasing of my doing business with him.

What if he could be mollified - the other three tomes are still worth a great deal, perhaps not as much, but their rarity and value cannot be denied. Give them to me, and allow me to attempt to negotiate a price. Perhaps we can come out morally guiltless, and considerably more wealthy at the same time?
    "

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Velgani's listened intently as Kat spoke, paying as close attention to her body language as her words. He was impressed that she relented on her stance, but the woman had proven herself practical if nothing else. To her imagined slight, he waved his hand and shook his head. "No, no ... it wasn't that I thought your buyer would double-cross you. I was worried he was working for the dragon, in which case any sale, regardless of how aboveboard it was, might send the tome into our enemies clutches.

That being said, I cannot think of any other reason we would have to keep the books. Well, aside from potentially alerting some of the prospective buyers that we had more than we let on ... and potentially earning the wrath of the Baroness for not turning over all items from the house."

The last was said quietly as Velgani fiddled his fingers and let loose a small display of noisy fireworks away from their table ... just enough to drown out their voices and distract anyone trying to listen.

Sipping on his ale, he looked to the others with questioning eyes ...

Show
    Figure Artaith and Jonnie should get a say now

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith spends most of the more talkative moments with her face firmly planted on the edge of her mug. Still, despite all appearances, the suspicious Dwarf listens intently. Finally, upon mention of the Baroness, she breaks her silence.

"Augh, Ah'd completely fergottn 'bout all 'at. At th'very least, we really aughta tell the Baroness 'bout all this. After all, we might 'swell be on 'er payroll, what with all the finery and good-quality death-dealin' implements we've been giv'n. 'An afore ya complain er argue, yeah, yeah we 'ad ta fight for it, but that weren' a real challenge, an' the payoff's well better'n tha risk were. So as I were sayin,' the Baroness been takin' care o' us- we aughta leas' keep 'er in the loop. She'll unnerstan' our concerns..."

As her worries have been voiced, she opts for returning her face to the mug- content for the moment at having spoken her piece.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Troll in the Playground

Although Kathryne would rather keep Secrets of the Dreaming Dark, the group consensus is that it is too dangerous to hold on to. Artaith suggests that you inform the baroness of your plans, and so you head out to her manor.

After explaining the situation, Baroness Devy sighs, unsure of what to make of the situation. "I suppose it was a good thing that you didn't report finding the tome. If what Bassy told you is correct, then I have no qualms keeping that away from the general public. Unless you can somehow trick the dragon with that tome, it is probably safest to dispose of it immediately."

The woman breaks eye contact for a moment, then after an uncomfortable silence, she continues. "This whole thing is entirely above my head. I've only ever been in charge of general administration here, and now we're under siege by a dragon. A ****ing dragon. And apparently Hunclay was hiding an ancient tome capable of summoning gods know what from the bowels of space."

Realizing she's starting to ramble, the baroness catches her breath, then returns to a more professional tone. "I suppose what I'm trying to say is, I'm extremely thankful you're here. If... when you get us out of this mess, I'll make sure all of Taldor knows of your deeds."

Spoiler
    Show
    All right, last chance to speak with anyone or do anything before heading off to the monastery.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2016-03-13 at 01:08 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

"If it's all the same to you - perhaps my name and likeness does not make it into the stories beyond a general mention? I prefer my anonymity - and keeping it intact would be the greatest favor you could do for me." Kathryne smiles a disarming smile, one she has practiced in the mirror many times, one she knows makes her look harmless - the same smile that has allowed her to walk past guards at the parties of nobility, and out the same way, leaving her harvest behind.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jonnie is a little bit shocked seeing the baroness' veneer peel, but when she finishes he thanks her for the reassurance and turns to his comrades. "Maybe there would be a way ta catch the dragon unawares usin' the book as bait but I wouldn't know where to start with that puzzle. I'm gonna head out and follow some leads afore we head on up to the monastery. If I ain't back by nightfall..." he trails off with a grim look. "Well, let's hope it don't come to that. Y'all stay vigilant." With a nod to all present he makes his way out of the manor and looses a shrill whistle. In moments Hickory comes out of the sky with a mighty whoosh, Jonnie climbs on and away they go.

_____

"Miss Maffei, are you about? I got somethin' important to talk with you." Jonnie calls into the shae's makeshift home.
    Last edited by moondoggy; 2016-02-10 at 03:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course, of course." The baroness says to Kathryne. "If you wish to remain unknown then I won't speak anything of you."

The shadowy creature turns to Jonnie. Maffei's tone is warm, even though it doesn't match her featureless face.

"Yes? Do you have need of me?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Velgani's nodded to the Baroness' assessment of the book, politely ignoring her 'slip of the tongue.' Instead, he smiled and bowed his head. "Aye, m'lady, we agree that the book is too dangerous to simply leave laying about, or dangling in front of a dragon, fornicating or otherwise. I also appreciate your offer, but I am sure your favor will be worth its weight in gold. Either way, I think we have some preparations to make and will bid you goodnight for now. Hopefully this will be over soon, and we will have taken care of the situation soon."

As the others spoke, Velgani cast a minor cantrip, looking for magiks withing the room, in case there were unknown spells lurking within the area ...

Show
    detect magic!

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

The Baroness' slip evokes a similar response from Artaith. For a moment the similarities between the two women's scowls is uncanny. Despite the shorter woman's more rustic features, it's clear that they share an identical outlook: neither will know relief while the imposing dragon yet lives.

With a subtle growl, Artaith adds her assurances to those of her party. "Aye. As Velgani said, I think it'll be soon that the people o' Belhaim kin rest easy 'gain. Ah look forward to it." With an eager gleam in her eye, Artaith's hands subconsciously flex about the handle of the newfound blade.

Show
    Artaith is ready to move on.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jonnie runs through current events with Maffei: the auction, the dragon and it's demands, the sojourn into Tula's crypt and the upcoming trials at the monastery. "I reckon that's the long and short of it Maffei. Now I hate ta ask 'cause it seems hardly like fair return but we could use your help up there. I imagine with your abilities and totin' those blades and all, you bein' there would definitely be a help to us, the town and the whole country," he says enthusiastically. "We might not be able to get you home," he continues in a more serious tone, "but with your helpin' us save all them people I'm sure they'd be more than welcomin' to ya. An' if any of 'em had somethin' crosswise ta say about it, well then they'd hafta deal with me first!" he proclaims, thumbing towards himself. "Jonnie Buckwheat don't tolerate that kinda talk about good people. You may be different, you're from another world after all, but I don't care because you're my friend and friends stick by each other."

Taking a moment to cool off he looks the shae in the face, grinning despite himself. "So, miss Maffei. Will you help us?"
    Last edited by moondoggy; 2016-02-11 at 04:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Maffei listens quietly as Jonnie explains the situation, then nods her head. "I said I owed you a debt, and I will not back down. Until the dragon is dead, I am yours to command." The shae clanks her swords together as a salute, then returns with Jonnie to the border of Belhaim. As they travel, she continues to speak. "Unless there are any wizards or planar scholars in Belhaim, I have no interest in entering the town. I do not understand you creatures of this plane any more than I am understood by you. I do not seek an argument about it; this is not my home and never will be."

With Secrets of the Dreaming Dark disposed of, you gather with Jonnie and Maffie outside of Belhaim, ready for one last excursion to save Belhaim. After five miles of trudging eastward through the Dragon Fen, you arrive at the location, a simple, but well-built stone monastery dedicated to Irori. The perimeter is surrounded by a rusted 10 foot tall gate, with only a single entrance in the southwestern corner. When the monks vanished from the monastery, the once orderly grounds fell into disarray. Weathered statues of men and women in martial poses stand at regular intervals in the monastery's yard; some have their extremities chipped off and lying on the ground unattended.

The structure itself is simple stone, raising 2 stories high, with the exception of a belfry which stands 2 stories over the rest of the building. A few windows, some broken, break the monotonous stone, giving you slight glimpses into a dusty, sparsely furnished interior. Only one set of doors can be seen, leading into an impressively-sized hall, but you could easily sneak in through one of the various windows if you put your mind to it

At the gate is a single green-scaled kobold, whose eyes bulge out as soon as he sees you approach. He clutches his spear feebly, and calls out in Common, "Um... uh, hello? Are you, um, are you with the town? Do you have the money the dragon wanted?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith leads the way, eyes never staying in one place for long. At the Kobold's request, she snorts gently and turns to Velgani, a pointed expression on her face.

Show
    #notaface

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

As they close on the monestary, Kathryne slips quietly away and circles around the side, walking lightly, and making as little noise as possible. As the Kobold comes out, she positions herself near it, concealed in the shadows. She is ready to strike, if it runs, but for now she waits to see, having learned that some among the group prefer to speak rather than kill sentries.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kat will make the sentry her Studied Target.
    Stealth: (1d20+11)[18]

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

On the way to the monastery, Velgani touched his hat and his form shifted to that of Azmur. "Perhaps this will be of use to us as we go forward ..." He practiced the man's voice a couple of times, before finally settling into silence as they got closer. Upon reaching the entrance, he gazed at the kobold imperiously. In a quiet voice, he spoke coldly to the small creature, in its native tongue. "It is me, fool. I'll take them to the Master. Step aside."

He walked forward, with confidence and contempt
    Show
    Not sure how this will go ... Disguise - (1d20+13)[25] (w/hat). Taking 10 on the bluff (if possible) and perception: 19 and 21.

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5
    Perception +11, Stealth +5, Sense Motive +6; Spells (4/2), Luck 11/11

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

The frightened kobold looks as if he is about to question "Azmur" about the armed dwarf, halfling, half-elf, and shadow creature following him, but decides it's best not to make a big deal. He scurries off, giving you free reign in the courtyard.

The courtyard is oddly peaceful, and a cool breeze rustles through the overgrown plants. There is only one obvious entrance to the building, but you may be able to scout out any potential threats by checking the windows.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone would like to scout the area, make a stealth and perception check.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

Artaith watches the Kobold scurry away, a bemused expression on her usually suspicious face. "We ain' waitin' on 'im, are we?"

She looks around the entrance and the monastery grounds with the naked curiosity of a new experience. "Damn, shore is a pretty place. Too bad some dragon done took it over... I figure he'd take tha biggest, purtiest buildin', eh?" She nods towards what looks like the primary chapel, and draws Belhaim's memorial weapon- in the shape of a glaive.

"Shall we?"

Show
    Ready to move forward, with Kathryn playing flank/scout. If anyone objects, she'll be patient.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Once inside, Velgani glanced around, thinking back to what tidbits he might recall about the monastery. When Artaith made to pull forth her weapon, Velgani reached over to lay a hand on her shoulder. He leaned close and whispered "Have a care ... prying eyes may watch us, and that weapon may be known to our for. If he is here ..."

Show
    Still takin 10 on Perception (21)
    [roll=KS History]1d20+8[/roll
    [roll=KS Local]1d20+11[/roll
    [roll=KS Religion]1d20+7[/roll

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5
    Effects: Disguised

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

Nothing out of the ordinary is observed in the courtyard. To find the dragon, you may need to search the place manually.

Spoiler
    Show
    Background about St Kyerixus was posted in the OOC thread

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

You enter the grand hall of the monastery, figuring that the dragon is most likely to be in the largest room. This grand hall is nearly one hundred and fifty feet long, with a vaulted ceiling twenty-five feet overhead. Niches in the walls frame marble statues of monks in poses of meditation, and thick pillars run down the center of this impressive chamber.

In the ceiling's rafters, are five of the strange creatures that attacked Belhaim ("Grioths" as Azmur called them). They swoop down, weapons drawn, but then pause as they see Velgani, disguised as the missing druid. Suddenly, Velgani is mentally assaulted by harsh words telepathically communicated to him.

Why HEre? Not allowed!

It seems the creatures possess some form of telepathy, although it is rought and slightly painful for anyone listening.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Velgani winced slightly at the 'loudness' of their thoughts. He paused for a moment, looking back at the others before looking to the grioths. "You mean them? No worries, they're with me. Let me clean them off first ..." He both spoke aloud and thought at the creatures

In dwarvish, he casually added, "I think we should kill them all now ... but we could try and talk our way out ..." Muttering under his breath, he prepared to cast a spell

Show
    Rolling for any info on these guys ...KS Arcana - (1d20+11)[17], KS Planes - (1d20+10)[22], KS Dungeoneering - (1d20+8)[28], KS Nature - (1d20+8)[13]

However, waiting to see Artaith make a move or nod or say something ... if it looks like an attack, then Vel will cast sleep (Will vs DC 14). Otherwise, he'll cast prestidigitation to clean off the worst stains and try to lead the group out

Status
    F +2 R +7 W +5
    Effects: Disguised

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

The grioths descend to ground level, crystalline daggers drawn. The one in front looks at the group's weapons warily.

Why arms?

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired: