New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Twig: We're all Bonesaws now! (spoilers unmarked)

Wildbow's new serial, simply entitled Twig, has launched! The dark biopunk story can be found here.

Our protagonist is Sylvester, nicknamed "Sy," ("Sly" if there's trouble) a member of a team of young enforcers tasked by the Lambsbridge Academy to neutralize rogue experimenters. The story opens with him and the other members of the group dealing with a biological experimenter known simply as "the Snake Charmer" and his experiment, an overgrown cat snake thing.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-03-13 at 10:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Twig: The Elements of Life (spoilers unmarked)

So why is this in Webcomics? You gave a reason in the Pact thread, but it didn't make much sense to me, and I figured discussion about three location of this thread would fit better here than there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Besides the reason I gave, placing it in Webcomics could attract more people, there's already a thread for Worm here, and we'd need to link this in the Pact thread regardless so I thought why not?
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-03-09 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

The protagonists seem pretty dark right off the bat- a marked change from bullied Taylor and innocent Blake.

The concepts are interesting. Hopefully the 'laws' of the setting are better defined than in Pact, which was one minor quibble I had with the series.
    Currently playing the Maya in Civilisation V Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit edition.

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

I would also like to humbly request that we change the title of the thread to 'We're all Bonesaws now!'

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
    The protagonists seem pretty dark right off the bat- a marked change from bullied Taylor and innocent Blake.

The concepts are interesting. Hopefully the 'laws' of the setting are better defined than in Pact, which was one minor quibble I had with the series.
    I thought that was the best part of Pact, the way magic worked was kind of fuzzy even to the people who practiced it and it helped give it a more magical feel.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Besides the reason I gave, placing it in Webcomics could attract more people, there's already a thread for Worm here, and we'd need to link this in the Pact thread regardless so I thought why not?
    Because it is not in any way a webcomic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Because it is not in any way a webcomic?
    It's a story, on the internet, that is released in installments. The only thing keeping it from being a web comic is the lack of pictures. Is Erfworld no longer a web comic because it has text-only pages?

Also, I hate to bring this up, but I didn't notice anyone else jumping to make the new thread.

EDIT: Thread title changed.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-03-10 at 10:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Twig: Everyone is glad I didn't name it again. (Spoilers unmarked)

If it really bugs you that much, I can illustrate some panels in the comments. Well really just a link to Devian's Tart. They will be badly illustrated as a comedic contrast to Wildbow's excellent writing. (Definitely not because I'm a crap artist.) Also I may mistranslate some of the text. Going from English to English is hard. And most of it will remain unillustrated.

Oh and if anyone asks I'll claim the parody exception.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Twig: We're all Bonesaws now! (spoilers unmarked)

I started the Worm thread, I didn't know there was anywhere else to put it at the time.

If there are more threads about text stories in that forum I ought to view it.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2015-03-10 at 11:27 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

It's a story, on the internet, that is released in installments. The only thing keeping it from being a web comic is the lack of pictures. Is Erfworld no longer a web comic because it has text-only pages?

Also, I hate to bring this up, but I didn't notice anyone else jumping to make the new thread.

EDIT: Thread title changed.
    ... Its a story done in text with no illustrations. Its not a webcomic any more than a novel released in pieces in a newspaper would be a news paper comic. Erfworld has occasional text updates to supplement that fact it is a webcomic.

Did we need one? Generally turning the Pact thread into an all purpose wildbow thread would have been a perfectly acceptable solution to the fact the Pact thread had many pages left to go before it hit 50.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

Guys? I know this is the internet and all, and it's our right to nitpick, but the location of the thread isn't a major deal. Who knows- it might drum up new readers.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

I dunno... I'd say media seems to get more views than here? I mean, I only go to specific webcomic threads I have pre-registered, while I occasionally browse media for general stuff. Anecdoctal, I know, but still, the argument "people might find it" doesn't seem to hold much water to me.

Plus, yeah. This is not in any way or shape a comic. Being on the web in installments makes it a web story, not a web comic. It belongs in general media, as it is basically a book. You know, where the running Worm thread was. And the Pact thread.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Guys? I know this is the internet and all, and it's our right to nitpick, but the location of the thread isn't a major deal. Who knows- it might drum up new readers.
    Your right its not a huge deal, but for some reason it bothers me more than it probably should.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If it really bugs you that much, I'll PM the next mod I come across with a polite request to merge it with the Pact thread back in Media Discussions. Is that fair?
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

If it really bugs you that much, I'll PM the next mod I come across with a polite request to merge it with the Pact thread back in Media Discussions. Is that fair?
    Why not just move this whole thread in the media section without cluttering the Pact thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nourjan
    Only a truly egotistical narcissist would ever quote himself

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nourjan View Post
    Why not just move this whole thread in the media section without cluttering the Pact thread?
    Because there was talk of making the thread Wildbow-specific, so we could easily talk about, say, Worm while he's writing anything else (if a new reader came through and read it, or whatever). Honestly it'd be fine either way.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-03-10 at 10:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

A minor nitpick "Sy" is how the main character is usually referred to, "Sly" is how they refer to him when there's a warning of trouble or something similar.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    A minor nitpick "Sy" is how the main character is usually referred to, "Sly" is how they refer to him when there's a warning of trouble or something similar.
    Ooh, that's clever. I didn't notice that.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

ITS THE FRANKENSTEIN UNIVERSE YESSS!! I am so happy to see this setting making a comeback from those snippets we got after Worm.

Our protagonist is Sylvester, nicknamed "Sy," ("Sly" if there's trouble) a member of a team of young enforcers tasked by the Lambsbridge Academy to neutralize rogue experimenters. The story opens with him and the other members of the group dealing with a biological experimenter known simply as "the Snake Charmer" and his experiment, an overgrown snake thing.
    Oh Wildbow, you named the protagonist after me? You shouldn't have! A guy can dream, ok?

This thread totes belongs in Media. A serialised novel is not a webcomic.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    This thread totes belongs in Media. A serialised novel is not a webcomic.
    I don't know. I come to "webcomics" for comics and found a reference to Worm which led to me reading all of that.

I've looked at "media" and it's pretty random and in general not that interesting to me.

Maybe "media" should have a "webmedia" subsection which could include "webcomics" as a sub-sub-section? However, that separates webcomics off from paper based comics, which might be a bad thing.

All in all, I dunno.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

And more of the world, and the characters, are explained.

While the talk of projects and development of the brains strongly hints at science experiments, I wonder if Wildbow's throwing us a red herring and he's just referring to training and mental outlook?

And talk of expiry dates. Wildbow loves his doomed protagonists.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And more of the world, and the characters, are explained.

While the talk of projects and development of the brains strongly hints at science experiments, I wonder if Wildbow's throwing us a red herring and he's just referring to training and mental outlook?

And talk of expiry dates. Wildbow loves his doomed protagonists.
    The detail of those files ("data, notes, design, and more"), coupled with the different codenamed projects (Galatea, Caterpillar, Griffon, Wyvern), suggests either augmented or so-called "vat grown" kids. My money's on blade-runner style replicants, personally.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The reference to Galatea is interesting and definitely suggests an artificial origin; in Greek mythology, that was the name of the statue Pygmalion carved which was brought to life.
    ithilanor on Steam.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    The reference to Galatea is interesting and definitely suggests an artificial origin; in Greek mythology, that was the name of the statue Pygmalion carved which was brought to life.
    In addition, Project Galatea produced Helen, the most stoic of the lot. Project Griffon produced Gordon, the one Sy kept talking up as "Talented," "The Hero," etc. Project Wyvern produced Sy, which fits someone who does sneaky movements (villainous reptile stereotype) at cost to himself in order to protect his group (Heraldric meaning of valor and protection). Project Caterpillar produced Jamie, but I'm not sure how exactly that fits.

26. - Top - End - #26

You mean "FKA Twig" right, OP?

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    You mean "FKA Twig" right, OP?
    I don't believe so...

28. - Top - End - #28

I don't believe so...
    Prepare thyself to deal with a lawsuit

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Crunk View Post
    Prepare thyself to deal with a lawsuit
    First off, the two works have nothing on common, so any such lawsuit is frivolous at best, Second off, I hadn't heard of any of this until you brought it up, Third off, who's going to tattle on him? You?

30. - Top - End - #30

First off, the two works have nothing on common, so any such lawsuit is frivolous at best, Second off, I hadn't heard of any of this until you brought it up, Third off, who's going to tattle on him? You?
    Well, I'm sure we can arrange something.

You have PayPal, right?