I think we are looking at this the wrong way

Maybe we should be trying to make the weakest character ever made :P
    God knows the game will only last one day :D

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: In a world without LA

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Why?
    Is Tome of Battle too broken for your DM?
    Are the options in it too powerful?
    Perhaps they think being able to use special powers all day, is too much?
    Are they afraid that, with access to Tome of Battle, every encounter would be too easy?
    Do they not own Tome of Battle? For the love of all that is sane, let this be the answer.

Evolved Half-Everything Great Wyrm Time Dracolich Swarmshifter Sorcerer.

The real power here comes from the Class Levels in Sorcerer, but the rather suboptimal choice of having every Template ever on a creature that can be anywhere in time and space, while being nearly impossible to kill is good for roleplaying and keeps the power level low. Allowing the DM to stay on top of things without ever having to resort to DM fiat. There is so much bull**** there, I wanted to use Blue text... BLUE! Eww.

it could be new DM syndrome of "i have never read tome of battle therefore please do not use it." i would happily accept that as a reason.
    Damn girl you definitely have a +8 size modifier to AC!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Where on earth do you find players who enjoy fruitlessly spending an hour+, or more likely, research spread across several days, doing the necessary book-diving and number crunching to make a 20th level character before the first session only to find out they need to spend even more time at the first session making a 10th level character that's completely different in concept and execution from the 20th level one they just made?

It ought to but it doesn't.
    Well some forewarning goes a long way. It is easier if the instructions are: "Make 2 separate characters. One is 20th level(double WBL) and the other 10th level(normal WBL). Email me the 20th level character before the first session. Come ready to play the 10th level character."

As for what kind of players might enjoy it, if there is a player that likes building characters, likes to have a hand in shaping the world, and trusts someone else with representing their characters then they might be fine given some forewarning. As for those traits the first is common but not a majority, the second is a majority and the third is uncommon. Honestly this is similar to running an evil campaign and then using that campaign as the setting for a heroic campaign (Evil PCs->Important NPCs).

Yeah, regrettably it doesn't go without saying. However it ought to, and someday might go without saying. Until then...
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-03-13 at 08:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Well some forewarning goes a long way. It is easier if the instructions are: "Make 2 separate characters. One is 20th level(double WBL) and the other 10th level(normal WBL). Email me the 20th level character before the first session. Come ready to play the 10th level character."
    That would be a dead giveaway though. I'd go with "make the same character at level 10, and your end build at level 20". Then I would use timetravel shenanigans to in the end make the players turn into BBEGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    it could be new DM syndrome of "i have never read tome of battle therefore please do not use it." i would happily accept that as a reason.
    I hoped it would be assumed that ownership would be equated to having read it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

I am honestly shocked that wasn't everyone's first conclusion.

Actually, I take that back, I'm not at all shocked. This is GITP.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post

Remember Hanlon's Razor, remember Hanlon's Razor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

We forget that there was a time before we had ToB in our lives...

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How likely or plausible is it for a new DM to have every source or access to every source but Tome of Battle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    How likely or plausible is it for a new DM to have every source or access to every source but Tome of Battle?
    hypothetically
    how likely is it for a new DM who does not frequent here to have 20 books (which do not include ToB) and think he has every book except ToB so he says "anything goes".

i have been frequenting here for a long time and i still have no clue what some of the book abbreviations are, and still haven't read or even opened 30% of all the 3.0 and 3.5 books. and i have never touched pathfinder.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth ShurikVch:

Note: petitioners will lose their (sp) and (su) abilities.
    (Spellcasting, manifesting, meldshaping, and most of maneuvers will stay)
    Technically, manifesting is a (Sp) ability.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just thinking out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by sakuuya View Post
    Be a demilich. A foot demilich.

Anything from the ELH is a good choice, actually, but steamrolling everything as a flying foot seems extra-ridiculous.
    How about all of you play a different kind of demilich, then fly in formation pretending to be a single person?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Technically, manifesting is a (Sp) ability.
    Since when?
    AFAIK, usually manifesting go unspecified, thus can't be (sp) or (su)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maybe he just has a phobia of Iron Heart Surge, and even the mention of the maneuver causes him to make a dc40 fear save check. :P
    Last edited by thecrimsondawn; 2015-03-14 at 01:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Maybe the ToB ban was a gambit to see if anyone would raise an argument about it later on. Then he'll know who posted on D&D character optimization forums asking for help on breaking his game.

But seriously, you should check on the other players. If this campaign is to last at least a couple sessions, you wouldn't want to overshadow nor be overshadowed hard.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsondawn View Post
    Maybe he just has a phobia of Iron Heart Surge, and even the mention of the maneuver causes him to make a dc40 fear save check. :P
    Basically it was this, He has ToB didn't really say why it was banned but it is.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aliek View Post
    Maybe the ToB ban was a gambit to see if anyone would raise an argument about it later on. Then he'll know who posted on D&D character optimization forums asking for help on breaking his game.

But seriously, you should check on the other players. If this campaign is to last at least a couple sessions, you wouldn't want to overshadow nor be overshadowed hard.
    Other player in it is also making a dragon, said something about making it a literal god? Another is debating on a race. And Idk about the rest.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JyP View Post
    so means everyone start with 1 RHD or one classe level for those with 1 RHD right ?

=> means if we play a dragon, it is still in his egg ^^
    Just asked, how he explained it, I will have the normal RHD from whatever I take it will apply normally except into my ECL I guess.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Also the player who claims to make himself "god" said he is taking Concordant Dragon and Dragon ascendant.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Also I forgot to mention that at times we will be placed to,fight against each other randomly during the campaign. Not a fight to the death per say but, accidents happen and I wouldn't be surprised off they killed each other if they had the chance

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Dramorake View Post
    Just asked, how he explained it, I will have the normal RHD from whatever I take it will apply normally except into my ECL I guess.
    awesome so 50 RHD and 50 LA = ECL 1

so great worm time dragon with all the templates. and epic level spellcasting.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

awesome so 50 RHD and 50 LA = ECL 1

so great worm time dragon with all the templates. and epic level spellcasting.
    Is this going to be the best? Even with maybe fighting another Dragon in the party?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Is this going to be the best? Even with maybe fighting another Dragon in the party?
    Epic Spellcasting beats everything, because Epic Spellcasting essentially gives you a toolbox and says "Build whatever spell you want. Even if it does that."

Let me explain something to you: Nothing is relevant in your game. The level of BS that will be thrown around means that if the universe is not your bitch, you don't matter. And since the only people who matter are people who make the universe their bitch, all you need to do is shut them down.

Pretty sure you can make an Epic spell that makes it so that magic only works for you. The Spellcraft DC will be enormous, but then you add backlash damage (damage you take when you finish casting) until it is a 100% success. Then pick your method of immunity to death by damage, and cast the spell.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

If the third party Monstrous Lycanthrope is allowed then probably not as the template lets you be an Everything-were-Everything.

Also Divine Salient Abilities that gods have are trumped by little else in the game.

If this DM is truly ignoring ECL and just having you start with 1RHD and whatever abilities a given statblock provides, there are stats for epic level NPCs that could be nice. I'm not sure how many of them have class levels that are actually worth more than an epic HD dragon though.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimsondawn View Post
    I think we are looking at this the wrong way

Maybe we should be trying to make the weakest character ever made :P
    God knows the game will only last one day :D
    My elf gladiator can help here:

Race: Elf
    Class: Commoner
    Flaws: Frail
    Traits: Quick
    Ability Scores: Unimportant except for con... using point buy select it as an 8.
    Feats: Skill Focus (Craft: Basket Weaving), Skill Focus (Knowledge: Baskets)
    HP at first level: 4 (maximum on a d4) - 2 (constitution penalty) - 1 (frail, can go to 0) - 1 (quick, can go to 0) = 0
    HP at each level thereafter: 1d4-4 (min result possible = 0)
    Notes: And you thought toughness was underpowered. This elf could not do a hard day's work to save his life.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    My elf gladiator can help here:

Race: Elf
    Class: Commoner
    Flaws: Frail
    Traits: Quick
    Ability Scores: Unimportant except for con... using point buy select it as an 8.
    Feats: Skill Focus (Craft: Basket Weaving), Skill Focus (Knowledge: Baskets)
    HP at first level: 4 (maximum on a d4) - 2 (constitution penalty) - 1 (frail, can go to 0) - 1 (quick, can go to 0) = 0
    HP at each level thereafter: 1d4-4 (min result possible = 0)
    Notes: And you thought toughness was underpowered. This elf could not do a hard day's work to save his life.
    You're jumping through way too many hoops. Just be Venerable.
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    But that results in a potentially usable mental score. Also, it's because of the trait and flaw that it can be reduced to 0.
    Currently Playing:
    -

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    Why not both? That way you'll have a -5 hit point penalty from the 2 Constitution, -1 from Frail, and -1 from Quick. This is important, because it lets you take Toughness as a feat and still be at 0 hit points.

Why is that important? Because it's a feat that now does nothing. Which means we can drop Skill Focus: Basketweaving, so we can be even more useless. Otherwise we might be too effective if a basket-related situation comes up.

To deal with our mental scores...just max out Strength or Dexterity and leave everything else at 8. We'll have scores of 11 for our mental stats, but our Strength and Dex bonuses will be eaten by the Venerable penalties, and be relatively useless anyway due to our 0 hit points.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2015-03-15 at 04:46 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles View Post
    But that results in a potentially usable mental score. Also, it's because of the trait and flaw that it can be reduced to 0.
    Find a race with -Str, maybe Halfling. Start with 8 str, eat that -2, and be venerable. Congratulations, you're paralyzed for life.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Epic Spellcasting beats everything, because Epic Spellcasting essentially gives you a toolbox and says "Build whatever spell you want. Even if it does that."
    i like the i win spell. only somatic components and a focus which is a finely crafted box with a big red button on it, inscribed with the words "i win"