New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dismissing Silence from Ring of Silent Spells?

Can you dismiss the Silence effect from a Ring of Silent Spells? First, I don't know whether you can dismiss spells cast by magic items. Second, I don't know whether you can dismiss the silence without speaking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Dismissing Silence from Ring of Silent Spells?

"If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity."

Silence does indeed have a verbal component to it, so you cannot dismiss a silence spell centered on yourself.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it's clear from that that you can't dismiss a silence spell that you cast on yourself the normal way (or at a minimum that you'd have to make a Will Save to do it - in any case the better solution is to cast it on a disposable item and drop it). But do spells from magic items count as having components?
    Last edited by Zorgoth; 2015-03-14 at 08:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The item "creates a silence effect, as the spell, centered on you", so it works just as the spell does. Which means it's not dismissible without being able to speak the modified verbal component.