New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age Inquisition V: Hard in Hightown

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    This is why I went with the Snarky voice set (that and Robin Sachs's voice wasn't nearly young enough for the Human Noble).
    Well, you know, I pictured him as an angry little elven man. Beating and intimidating everyone in his way until they started doing the right thing. (Sort of like a more violent, elfier, Dr. Cox) So violent seemed like the natural voice set. Three fights later, and I was suddenly daydreaming about kamikazeing his berserker face.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2015-05-06 at 05:40 PM.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    Well, you know, I pictured him as an angry little elven man. Beating and intimidating everyone in his way until they started doing the right thing. (Sort of like a more violent, elfier, Dr. Cox) So violent seemed like the natural voice set. Three fights later, and I was suddenly daydreaming about kamikazeing his berserker face.
    Call me stereotypical, but Violent!Male Warden seems to fit most with the Dwarf Commoner.
    Now I'm struck by the urge to match all the voice sets to different origins. Be right back.

EDIT: A-haha, Robin Sachs didn't voice Violent. He voiced Experienced. Still too old for my brash Human Noble, but still, my bad.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-06 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm back.

Male Female
    Wise City Elf Human Noble
    Cocky Human Noble Dwarf Commoner
    Experienced Dwarf Noble Dalish
    Mystical/Smart Dalish Mage
    Suave/Sultry Mage Dwarf Noble
    Violent Dwarf Commoner City Elf

And that's my take on which Warden should get which voice. (Do elves/humans even get access to "Smart?")
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-06 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Got them all shoehorned in now.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

I figured as much. Last I knew Psyren, Shadow Realms had been canceled.
    They have another unnamed title in the works currently. Other than that the only thing I know about it is that the former lead writer for Dragon Age left to join the writing team for that mystery game.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

I'm back.

Male Female
    Wise City Elf Human Noble
    Cocky Human Noble Dwarf Commoner
    Experienced Dwarf Noble Dalish
    Mystical/Smart Dalish Mage
    Suave/Sultry Mage Dwarf Noble
    Violent Dwarf Commoner City Elf

And that's my take on which Warden should get which voice. (Do elves/humans even get access to "Smart?")
    I'm not too big on assigning a voice per origin. Sure every character from the same origin will have gone through the same events, but they'll deal with them in different ways and that's where voice should come from in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    They have another unnamed title in the works currently. Other than that the only thing I know about it is that the former lead writer for Dragon Age left to join the writing team for that mystery game.
    I'm aware, but I'm not sure how that's going to work. Personally I'm doubting the idea that they would just scrap the assets that they were working on. Inquisition had some of the animations as Origins. Bioware isn't that big on letting go. On the other hand though, I just don't see how the set up for Shadow Realms would've worked. Bioware excels at story, which is harder to do well in a multiplayer format (just look at the characters in DAMP, Their banter is more annoyance than anything else), and the 4 against 1 format which screams party game to me, which would've made that doubly hard again: Okay you got your friends together, you're about to have fun playing a video game, but before that let me tell you a story.

I'm aware that you could've played that game online without your friends, but at that point it might as well be a single player game. At least then you would be able to get the story without some noob trying to get himself killed.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2015-05-07 at 06:58 AM.
    Show
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm not too big on assigning a voice per origin. Sure every character from the same origin will have gone through the same events, but they'll deal with them in different ways and that's where voice should come from in my opinion.
    Meh, it's not a hard rule. Just my interpretation of the characters. (Also, as stated, with a fair bit of shoehorning - I have no idea where exactly to put the "Sultry" voice, for instance.)
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-07 at 07:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I haven't been able to get to DAI recently, but I tried this morning. After downloading the patch (PC), I wandered around and went through my journal and the world map and I didn't see the Black Emporium pop up. How do you get to it?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I haven't been able to get to DAI recently, but I tried this morning. After downloading the patch (PC), I wandered around and went through my journal and the world map and I didn't see the Black Emporium pop up. How do you get to it?
    It needs to be unlocked as a location on the war table.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

I decided that since I hadn't been at the official Bioware forums for a while, I'd lurk at the feedback section to see how popular suggestions similar to mine are. I then found a thread calling for more rape, misogyny, and the whitewashing of Thedas.

It's always nice to be reminded why this is my favorite forum.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Spamalot in the Playground

I decided that since I hadn't been at the official Bioware forums for a while, I'd lurk at the feedback section to see how popular suggestions similar to mine are. I then found a thread calling for more rape, misogyny, and the whitewashing of Thedas.

A good chunk of that is due to GIFT. This forum has stronger moderation and so that applies less, and other communities (particularly social media) are less anonymous, so it applies less there as well. BSN is both under-moderated and anonymous, leading to more toxicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A good chunk of that is due to GIFT. This forum has stronger moderation and so that applies less, and other communities (particularly social media) are less anonymous, so it applies less there as well. BSN is both under-moderated and anonymous, leading to more toxicity.
    GIFT? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the concept. A google search just brings up, well, gifts.

I knew that BSN tended to be more toxic, but I just wasn't really expecting that.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

GIFT is short for "Greater Internet ****wad Theory", coined by Penny Arcade. TVtropes details can be found here.

If you'd prefer it a bit more... official and proper, check out the wikipedia article on the Online Disinhibition Effect.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

No kidding on the whitewashing.

The other day, I was looking up images of some of the characters in the various Dragon Ages for my pbp games (I like to use pictures for various NPCs when I can), and I was rather surprised by how many mods there are, apparently, that make Isabella and Vivienne white (and in the former's case, blonde as well)! Like...seriously? (Also, mods to make Wynne young, which...just strikes me as weird. Wouldn't she still talk like an old lady and make references to how old she is?)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    No kidding on the whitewashing.

The other day, I was looking up images of some of the characters in the various Dragon Ages for my pbp games (I like to use pictures for various NPCs when I can), and I was rather surprised by how many mods there are, apparently, that make Isabella and Vivienne white (and in the former's case, blonde as well)! Like...seriously? (Also, mods to make Wynne young, which...just strikes me as weird. Wouldn't she still talk like an old lady and make references to how old she is?)
    Seriously? Wow, that's... creepy, frightening, disturbing; I don't know that I have enough synonyms for "bad and weird" to encompass it.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Seriously? Wow, that's... creepy, frightening, disturbing; I don't know that I have enough synonyms for "bad and weird" to encompass it.
    Yeah...it's...it's...well, the internet. I'm not even surprised when I see stuff like this anymore, just disappointed.

EDIT: Well, somewhat surprised, but definitely less than I should be.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2015-05-09 at 03:36 PM.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    (Also, mods to make Wynne young, which...just strikes me as weird. Wouldn't she still talk like an old lady and make references to how old she is?)
    To be fair on that one...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...48-Dragon-Aged
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yeah, the modders don't need to do much with Wynne and her magical bosom.

18. - Top - End - #288

Chimera

The main thing I want is to replace these god-awful pajamas I've been running around Skyhold in.

And though I'm digging the formal dress uniform I'm wearing in the Winter Palace, I'm surprised that we're not wearing masks as a way to curry favour. Does one have to earn the right to wear a mask, or is this some way to point out the foreigners? Even Vivienne is running around without a mask, and she was wearing one when I met her. Or are we masked, and the game isn't rendering them, because I turned off headgear? Because we all look stupid in our helmets.

Oh, and yes, I continue to crush on Cullen. Seeing him swarmed by admirers and unable to fend them off makes me happy.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    The main thing I want is to replace these god-awful pajamas I've been running around Skyhold in.

And though I'm digging the formal dress uniform I'm wearing in the Winter Palace, I'm surprised that we're not wearing masks as a way to curry favour. Does one have to earn the right to wear a mask, or is this some way to point out the foreigners? Even Vivienne is running around without a mask, and she was wearing one when I met her. Or are we masked, and the game isn't rendering them, because I turned off headgear? Because we all look stupid in our helmets.

Oh, and yes, I continue to crush on Cullen. Seeing him swarmed by admirers and unable to fend them off makes me happy.
    Mod wishlist:
    Diversity of casual outfits in Skyhold (Seriously, Vivienne at least requires at least one outfit for each day of the week. Even pallet-swaps would be fine, but no). This goes double for Inquisitor outfits (No, I don't want to wear my pajamas the entire time, why do you ask?
    Custom masks to wear in Val Royeaux/Halamshiral, for the Inquisition and for the major players (Briala and Florianne can keep theirs, but Gaspard and Celene need their custom masks).
    Separate helmet toggle for each character (because it makes no sense for Vivienne to not wear her mask in Halamshiral when she did at her soiree).
    Retool of the Corypheus boss fight, perhaps with a few darkspawn to serve as a dark mirror of the party.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Bugbear in the Playground

Separate helmet toggle for each character (because it makes no sense for Vivienne to not wear her mask in Halamshiral when she did at her soiree).
    I have wished for this for so long. Some of the characters I want to see their hats, like Vivian, but others just look terrible, like most of the qunari vitaars.

Also the pyjamas. I dont think there's anyone who wouldnt wish for something other than pyjamas (seriously even if they were just different colours and not all brown I'd be happy)

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I have wished for this for so long. Some of the characters I want to see their hats, like Vivian, but others just look terrible, like most of the qunari vitaars.

Also the pyjamas. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't wish for something other than pyjamas (seriously even if they were just different colours and not all brown I'd be happy)
    I was looking through the Nexus for DAI the other day and there's still very little there. Facial touch-ups, alternate outfits for Halamshiral and Skyhold (mostly for human and elven Inquisitors), alt textures, dunking Dorian's outfit in black paint, and a whole mess of custom Inquisitors.

But seriously, separate helmet toggles. It only makes sense, especially since there are two separate characters (Cole and Vivienne) who owe much of their silhouette to their signature hats.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    Also the pyjamas. I dont think there's anyone who wouldnt wish for something other than pyjamas (seriously even if they were just different colours and not all brown I'd be happy)
    I can't honestly say that I care one way or the other about them, personally.

But seriously, separate helmet toggles. It only makes sense, especially since there are two separate characters (Cole and Vivienne) who owe much of their silhouette to their signature hats.
    Those, on the other hand, I am quite happy that I did not have to look at for most of the game. Seriously, in the cutscene I recall where he had it, Cole's obscures so much of his face so much of the time that it was honestly distracting, and I'm pretty sure it had some clipping issues. And Vivienne's is just ugly.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #293

Did... uh... did we talk about this yet? Apparently there is hidden (reversed) audio in the Temple of Mythal Well scene.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #294

Did... uh... did we talk about this yet? Apparently there is hidden (reversed) audio in the Temple of Mythal Well scene.
    Heh, I had forgotten about that. Pretty much adds more evidence towards a connection between the elves and the Old gods though. Pile that on with the translated ancient elven codex entries you get if you drink from the well of sorrows and it seems like the elven gods have some connection with the blight as well.

25. - Top - End - #295

Which lends credence to my theory that (at least some) elven gods might = old gods and played a role in tricking the magisters into the Black City.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #296

Which lends credence to my theory that (at least some) elven gods might = old gods and played a role in tricking the magisters into the Black City.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the Old gods are the Elven gods, the numbers line up when you remove Mythal and Fen'harel from the equation. They are probably the ones who locked the blight away in the golden city to begin with, though why they would want to release it after seeing what it did to one of their own is beyond me. The alternative is the old gods are the forgotten ones, which seem to have a connection to the blight on their own.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

That's a popular theory, but I think it has some issues.

Spoiler
    Show
    First off, Solas outright dismisses that there's any connection between the Old Gods and his people. He could be lying, of course, but I don't think he has any reason to lie about this.

Second, David Gaider stated a long time ago that it wouldn't make much sense for the Tevinters to revere elven gods, or for said gods to teach the Tevinters blood magic. The Forgotten Ones are more likely, but also problematic as their portfolios don't match up to the Old Gods; the Forgotten Ones were all about destruction, and the Old Gods did have positive qualities. Urthemiel was a patron of artists, for instance.

Of course, we know now that the Dalish elves' knowledge of their gods isn't exactly accurate.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-13 at 12:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298

That's a popular theory, but I think it has some issues.

Spoiler
    Show
    First off, Solas outright dismisses that there's any connection between the Old Gods and his people. He could be lying, of course, but I don't think he has any reason to lie about this.

Second, David Gaider stated a long time ago that it wouldn't make much sense for the Tevinters to revere elven gods, or for said gods to teach the Tevinters blood magic. The Forgotten Ones are more likely, but also problematic as their portfolios don't match up to the Old Gods; the Forgotten Ones were all about destruction, and the Old Gods did have positive qualities. Urthemiel was a patron of artists, for instance.

Of course, we know now that the Dalish elves' knowledge of their gods isn't exactly accurate.
    There already is a connection between them. Tevinter magic was built on Arlathan's bones. The Old Gods taught them how to use it. If the OGs weren't elven deities (or even just powerful elves) themselves, who taught them?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Consider this: if the Old Gods are elven (one way or another), how come they never taught the Tevinters how to properly use the eluvians?

So World of Thedas Volume 2 just came out today. To celebrate, Bioware just released this video called Good Morning Thedas. (As to why they did a mock morning show, it's because WoT contains a number of recipes. The cover of the Whole Nug is included in the book.) Anyways, here's the video, which is fairly amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je8zCHrkirs
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-13 at 01:32 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

There already is a connection between them. Tevinter magic was built on Arlathan's bones. The Old Gods taught them how to use it. If the OGs weren't elven deities (or even just powerful elves) themselves, who taught them?
    Maybe what is considered elven magic was the original form of the art (known to all deities and whatever powerful beings could exist at the time) and got called elven only later on? Alternatively, maybe the nature of the OG gave them a greater understanding of magic which means they didn't need to be taught by anyone, but could learn simply by observing the elves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?