New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dragon Age Inquisition V: Hard in Hightown

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The nature of a character is a factor too though. Take the Architect - yeah he can "die" but if he came back, that wouldn't really be that odd given what we saw Corypheus being able to do. If you killed the Architect, you did so in a blight-covered castle with legions of Darkspawn crammed underneath, and his lieutenant escaping immediately. Corypheus had his dragon as his main horcrux, sure, but that's not to say the Architect had none as well. He did after all, descend to confront you willingly - and right after doing so, admit that he could not predict how you would react to anything he had to say - suggesting confidence and a backup plan of some kind.
    Killing the "Archdemon," IIRC, merely glitched out Corypheus' respawn timer so he couldn't come back. Of course, the Inquisitor dumped him into the Fade without a safety net, so he probably had no available targets even if he wanted to respawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, DA:I is 50% off for a time. Is it worth $5 to pick up the digital deluxe edition?

Also, because I managed to fill up a character file worth of saves and wasn't finished, and then played through every DLC in DA:O, I have six savestates for Dragon Age Keep to load, and none of them seems to be perfect. If I delete all the uploaded ones, is it possible to re-upload the witch hunt-finished one and then just fix that manually (Or should I just upload the final save from the main game, since there aren't a whole lot of choices I'd need to set for the DLC, and that would hopefully reduce the number of mistakes upon importing)?
    Last edited by Squark; 2015-04-06 at 11:36 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I dislike the Armor of the Dragon, but I got some good use out of the various Weapons of the Dragon. I also quite like the Bog Unicorn and Red Hart. So ... maybe?

I got a laugh out of this.

Spoiler
    Show

They used to sell those mabari plushies in the Bioware store.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-04-06 at 01:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Spamalot in the Playground

If you like dragons, definitely get it, as the dragon-themed items and throne will let you trick out your inquisition with scales and fangs.

If you don't like dragons - still consider getting it, because those dragon-themed weapons will last you for quite a bit. You also get schematics for mid-game upgrades to all of them.

Also, do the free Red Lyrium Quest online game for another set of great starter weapons., it only takes a few minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, do the free Red Lyrium Quest online game for another set of great starter weapons., it only takes a few minutes.
    I'm not sure it's really worth doing; they are good starter weapons but you don't get them until Skyhold. They might be useful if you rush to Skyhold as quickly as possible, but even then you'll get an upgrade for them pretty much immediately.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I'm not sure it's really worth doing; they are good starter weapons but you don't get them until Skyhold. They might be useful if you rush to Skyhold as quickly as possible, but even then you'll get an upgrade for them pretty much immediately.
    It might be worth doing in terms of bile fascination. That "quest" is laughably easy, pitifully short, and obviously a vehicle to get you to watch the trailers. Twice.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    While it didn't take long to replace the RL staff on my Inqusitor, it still beat the second best staff I had for quite a while, so one of my other mages ended up wearing it much longer. (I tend to go W-M-M-R.) I believe the daggers stayed relevant for a decent amount of time as well. I don't recall if I used the others though.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Bioware released this video that has Steve Valentine talking about Alistair. Mostly serious, but it has a funny little bit at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF1lHGxBzHo

The Alistair love is strong. I know of a couple players who changed their canon state to make Alistair king after encountering The Choice at the end of "Here Lies the Abyss."
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-04-09 at 03:58 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The Alistair love is strong. I know of a couple players who changed their canon state to make Alistair king after encountering The Choice at the end of "Here Lies the Abyss."
    Don't blame them whatsoever. Of course, my best-case scenario has him as king with Anora, so there's that.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Don't blame them whatsoever. Of course, my best-case scenario has him as king with Anora, so there's that.
    I had him King with my warden Queen, which was a hard choice, since my last 'official' DA:O playthrough I used the console to begin as Human noble then change to mage class, which I couldnt replicate in Keep, either noble or mage. All the perks of being a noble but the fun of playing an arcane warrior.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2015-04-09 at 05:43 PM.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    I must admit, I've considered doing that myself. I won't until at least the next game, since there's no need to make that decision until then, but still.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I had him King with my warden Queen, which was a hard choice, since my last 'official' DA:O playthrough I used the console to begin as Human noble then change to mage class, which I couldn't replicate in Keep, either noble or mage. All the perks of being a noble but the fun of playing an arcane warrior.
    I'm only playing guys for ease of voiced roleplay (still dreaming of a YT channel Let's Play, you see), mainly because my female voices seem shrill and cliche to me. On one hand, I can't elevate my Warden to Fereldan royalty without either ruining Alistair or abandoning him to the Wardens (I get the feeling that Duncan was like his only friend there, for all he considered them a surrogate family), on the other, I can romance and thus walk through the eluvian with Morrigan.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm only playing guys for ease of voiced roleplay (still dreaming of a YT channel Let's Play, you see), mainly because my female voices seem shrill and cliche to me. On one hand, I can't elevate my Warden to Fereldan royalty without either ruining Alistair or abandoning him to the Wardens (I get the feeling that Duncan was like his only friend there, for all he considered them a surrogate family), on the other, I can romance and thus walk through the eluvian with Morrigan.
    Spoiler: My vote
    Show
    Go with Morrigan. With a Warden beau and a child, the change it brings about in Morrigan in DAI is incredible to behold. Leave the thrones to Alistair and Anora.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Show
    Go with Morrigan. With a Warden beau and a child, the change it brings about in Morrigan in DAI is incredible to behold. Leave the thrones to Alistair and Anora.
    My thoughts exactly. If only buttering up Morrigan didn't leave me feeling like a slimeball.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

(I get the feeling that Duncan was like his only friend there, for all he considered them a surrogate family)
    I believe he reminisces fondly of the feelings of camaraderie when they were together in the camp, although it's been ages since my DA:O playthrough, so I could be misremembering. He was definitely closer to Duncan than anyone else, but I never got the feeling the rest of the wardens were anything but kind to him.
    Last edited by Squark; 2015-04-10 at 12:27 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My thoughts exactly. If only buttering up Morrigan didn't leave me feeling like a slimeball.
    It depends on who you're playing, of course, I preferred to think of her as sheltered during runs where I pursued her (which was often, as I've got a soft spot for Claudia Black's voice). Morrigan spent her entire life with her only companion being a cryptic hermit who seemed to be intentionally sequestering her. The few times she ventured out into the "civilized" world, she got snapped back pretty harshly. So you've got this girl raised to be an acid-tongued Darwinist who's never had anyone to challenge her point of view. So the Warden makes an effort to coax her out and see the world from more than just her perspective, being supportive of her while at the same time challenging her. To put it another way, and to reference another great Claudia Black character, the Warden believes Morrigan can be more. And, like Aeryn Sun, Morrigan cracks under the emotional turmoil frequently.

Come to think of it, I usually played my Warden like John Chrichton from Farscape. Besides having this fascination with a pretty girl with a very alien mindset (played by Claudia Black), he inevitably gets obsessed with the idea that a baby has to have a father and goes on the Witch Hunt because he can't let the thought go. Now if only they let me be one hundredth as much of a smartass as John...
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It depends on who you're playing, of course, I preferred to think of her as sheltered during runs where I pursued her (which was often, as I've got a soft spot for Claudia Black's voice). Morrigan spent her entire life with her only companion being a cryptic hermit who seemed to be intentionally sequestering her. The few times she ventured out into the "civilized" world, she got snapped back pretty harshly. So you've got this girl raised to be an acid-tongued Darwinist who's never had anyone to challenge her point of view. So the Warden makes an effort to coax her out and see the world from more than just her perspective, being supportive of her while at the same time challenging her. To put it another way, and to reference another great Claudia Black character, the Warden believes Morrigan can be more. And, like Aeryn Sun, Morrigan cracks under the emotional turmoil frequently.

Come to think of it, I usually played my Warden like John Chrichton from Farscape. Besides having this fascination with a pretty girl with a very alien mindset (played by Claudia Black), he inevitably gets obsessed with the idea that a baby has to have a father and goes on the Witch Hunt because he can't let the thought go. Now if only they let me be one hundredth as much of a smartass as John...
    See, I don't quite believe that mindset works with a Cousland. At least, not how I normally play Cousland. This is the same person who, for example, charmed his way into Iona's pants before asking to get to know her. (During the Origin).

EDIT: Come to think of it, that may exacerbate the "slimeball" feeling.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-04-10 at 01:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

You don't have to romance her to pork her, if you don't want to. It's the kid that changes her moreso than the Warden. You can easily make the ritual be purely a matter of convenience/business transaction, maintaining your largely antagonistic relationhship, and the changes to her personality in DAI compared to a lovey-dovey couple will be minimal.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler
    Show

I did not romance Morrigan, I romanced Leliana, but if the Warden gives Morrigan a child, that change still occurs.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You don't have to romance her to pork her, if you don't want to. It's the kid that changes her moreso than the Warden. You can easily make the ritual be purely a matter of convenience/business transaction, maintaining your largely antagonistic relationhship, and the changes to her personality in DAI compared to a lovey-dovey couple will be minimal.
    She gets a better line in DAI with the romance than without the romance. That's really the major reason I'm aiming for it.

EDIT: And using the keep is cheating, before that gets mentioned.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-04-10 at 03:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

She gets a better line in DAI with the romance than without the romance. That's really the major reason I'm aiming for the romance.
    ...So what's the problem?

You simply have to decide if that dialogue is worth "feeling like a slimeball." If yes, go for it, if not, don't.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...So what's the problem?

You simply have to decide if that dialogue is worth "feeling like a slimeball." If yes, go for it, if not, don't.
    I just need to think of a better character for Cousland. Possibly starting with getting to know Iona before immediately sexing her up.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it just me, or was Morrigan just easier to befriend as a female warden? (Or a mage, I dunno). I never played a male warden, and yeah I know she was hard to please, but I always found talk and comics of how bad she was a little overdone. She was pretty bad at first but seemed to warm up to my warden plenty easily as a friend, and I played her as a pretty good character.

On the other hand I found Sten very difficult to befriend he was just constantly insulting and berating (at least until I got his sword back) which I never really see mentioned, but my husband who played a male warden said Sten was 'a total bro' and didn't have the same issues. Of course Sten did bring up various dislikes of you being a female if you play that 'how can you be a warrior AND a woman? It makes no sense', and I wasnt sure what those conversations would be if playing a male

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I just need to think of a better character for Cousland. Possibly starting with getting to know Iona before immediately sexing her up.
    Honestly, does it matter? In the prologue, you're... well... nothing. Oh, you're loved by your parents alright, but you don't serve a real purpose. You've got a brother, he's got a son. Heir and the spare right there. You are surplus to requirements, doomed to a life of luxury and no meaningful responsibilities, trapped in the castle. Of course such a noble is going to find inventive ways to amuse themselves, probably without even considering that some would call it a slimeball move. You are young, you are immature, you are privledged. In other words, you're a noble.

Then it happens. Your nephew dies, your sister in law dies, your parents die, and you are inducted into an order of living dead men. You do everything you are asked to do, but everything still falls apart. Your king dies, your commander dies, all but one of your peers die, and your general betrays you. And you are saved by certain death by a woman you met briefly in the wilds and her seemingly insane mother. Now is a time for some spoiled noble to mature a little, wouldn't you agree?

So... be a slimeball in the prologue if you feel it adds to the story. You don't have to be one after the fact. You go through one hell of a crucible afterwards, and if you don't come out of it stronger and purer, you'll come out broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    Is it just me, or was Morrigan just easier to befriend as a female warden? (Or a mage, I dunno). I never played a male warden, and yeah I know she was hard to please, but I always found talk and comics of how bad she was a little overdone. She was pretty bad at first but seemed to warm up to my warden plenty easily as a friend, and I played her as a pretty good character.
    Yeah, she would be quicker to befriend a female Warden. There's nothing at stake, there. With a male there's always this game she's playing about how to get conceive the godchild, and how it conflicts with the feelings she's actually having.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2015-04-10 at 04:34 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

25. - Top - End - #145

With a male it's easy to get close, since her entire plan was to seduce you from the beginning. My Dalish warden simply ended up falling for her. Not the attitude really (though, growing up Dalish, it wouldn't be strange to have been surrounded by renegade attitudes to humans, and even sympathize), so much as the fierce independence and love of nature. And of course, knowing what I do about our own Keeper and First, I would have no hangups about her being an apostate. So all in all it seemed a natural fit.

I can see a lot more barriers there for a male Cousland, certainly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Honestly, does it matter? In the prologue, you're... well... nothing. Oh, you're loved by your parents alright, but you don't serve a real purpose. You've got a brother, he's got a son. Heir and the spare right there. You are surplus to requirements, doomed to a life of luxury and no meaningful responsibilities, trapped in the castle. Of course such a noble is going to find inventive ways to amuse themselves, probably without even considering that some would call it a slimeball move. You are young, you are immature, you are privileged. In other words, you're a noble.
    My Cousland didn't think of that; he honestly thought he was in the "spare" position because Fergus was being sent off to battle the Blight and he wasn't. Oren's far too young should the worst happen. (Also, need names I can trot out in introductions without feeling a total fool.)

Then it happens. Your nephew dies, your sister in law dies, your parents die, and you are inducted into an order of living dead men. You do everything you are asked to do, but everything still falls apart. Your king dies, your commander dies, all but one of your peers die, and your general betrays you. And you are saved by certain death by a woman you met briefly in the wilds and her seemingly insane mother. Now is a time for some spoiled noble to mature a little, wouldn't you agree?

So... be a slimeball in the prologue if you feel it adds to the story. You don't have to be one after the fact. You go through one hell of a crucible afterwards, and if you don't come out of it stronger and purer, you'll come out broken.
    I like this, overall. It even sets up the moment of weakness in the 3rd act, made all the easier by the relationship with Morrigan.

27. - Top - End - #147

My Cousland didn't think of that; he honestly thought he was in the "spare" position because Fergus was being sent off to battle the Blight and he wasn't. Oren's far too young should the worst happen. (Also, need names I can trot out in introductions without feeling a total fool.)
    No, Calemyr's right - the son trumps the brother succession-wise. At best you would have been regent/steward for Oren until he came of age (like Teagan would have been for Connor), unless you went full vizier and wrung his neck.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #148
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

With a male it's easy to get close, since her entire plan was to seduce you from the beginning.
    It's possible to get "romanced" and 90 or so approval from Morrigan with a male Warden before you even reach Lothering. I did it once. Just go to camp and have a lengthy conversation where you pick all the right dialog options. Might require a spoiler guide for which dialog options give maximum approval increases, but it shouldn't be hard to guess with knowledge of her character, I think.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No, Calemyr's right - the son trumps the brother succession-wise. At best you would have been regent/steward for Oren until he came of age (like Teagan would have been for Connor), unless you went full vizier and wrung his neck.
    He didn't know that, and even if he did, upon consideration he wouldn't care. He certainly wouldn't kill Oren, personally or otherwise, unless he proved disastrously incompetent or until the darkspawn came crashing in.

30. - Top - End - #150

He didn't know that, and even if he did, upon consideration he wouldn't care. He certainly wouldn't kill Oren, personally or otherwise, unless he proved disastrously incompetent or until the darkspawn came crashing in.
    How would any noble not know child > brother? That to me sounds like basic training, on par with learning "what is the Chantry?"

And I was joking about Oren, strangling him would fail "cui bono" pretty much instantly
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-04-10 at 09:44 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy