New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Dragon Age Inquisition V: Hard in Hightown

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Morrigan also deserves mention. She's so unpredictable that her being actually loyal to Celine caught me by surprise.
    It's true. Which of course brings the count of wild cards up to 4, or 3.5 depending on his perception of the event. I suppose, though, that if they knew about her son (who may or may not exist, of course) or her affinity for eluvian mirrors, they might trick themselves into believing they have a couple of strings to pull with her. (Such behavior will of course get them murderized in a dark corner, but still)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

So the big news today is the release of a new multiplayer expansion: Dragonslayer.

http://www.dragonage.com/en_US/news/...ayer-announced

Besides adding a new map and high dragons to MP, there's also three new characters: Zither the Mage-bard (the April Fool's Joke character), Sky Watcher (the Avvar from the Fallow Mire) and Isabela. Yes, that Isabela.

It's coming out on May 5.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-01 at 11:21 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    So the big news today is the release of a new multiplayer expansion: Dragonslayer.

Besides adding a new map and high dragons to MP, there's also three new characters: Zither the Mage-bard (the April Fool's Joke character), Sky Watcher (the Avvar from the Fallow Mire) and Isabela. Yes, that Isabela.

Well, that would be why she didn't get a war table mission, then.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

PLACES EVERYONE! The Black Emporium is also due to release on May 5 for all platforms at no additional cost.

It comes with "four high-level stores that sell epic weapons, new crafting materials and schematics," along with the Mirror of Transformation and two free thrones if that floats your boat.

http://www.dragonage.com/en_US/news/...rium-announced
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-01 at 01:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Spamalot in the Playground

Can't wait to hear all the whining from the folks that handed her over to the Arishok. "Biower hates choice omg"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

This expansion doesn't have anything for people who don't play multiplayer, does it? Too bad.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    This expansion doesn't have anything for people who don't play multiplayer, does it? Too bad.
    That one won't but Black Emporium will.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Can't wait to hear all the whining from the folks that handed her over to the Arishok. "Biower hates choice omg"
    Pft, any people who were d**ks like that didn't hear Varric out when he said that the Arishok allowed her to escape with the tome en route to Par Vollen (a very clever koss, that Arishok). Yeah, he was forcibly retired soon after.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-01 at 04:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I hear the Arishok was replaced by the Arishok. But he better watch out, for in the shadows - the Arishok.

Actually the complaint about MP Isabela seems to be "But why wasn't she in the SP campaaaaign?"
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-01 at 07:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I hear the Arishok was replaced by the Arishok. But he better watch out, for in the shadows - the Arishok.
    If anyone's curious, the new Arishok is the former Sten we all know and love.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

I sincerely wonder how to deal with things...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...in Iron Bull's quest. Saving the Chargers FEELS right to me, Bull stays with the Inquisition, finds love with Dorian (or the Inquisitor if he/she so chooses), and stuff, but if Sten's the new Arishok, then I fear they may be gearing up for a conflict where whether or not the Inquisition alienated the Qunari or not makes the difference between peace or war.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I sincerely wonder how to deal with things...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...in Iron Bull's quest. Saving the Chargers FEELS right to me, Bull stays with the Inquisition, finds love with Dorian (or the Inquisitor if he/she so chooses), and stuff, but if Sten's the new Arishok, then I fear they may be gearing up for a conflict where whether or not the Inquisition alienated the Qunari or not makes the difference between peace or war.
    Spoiler: Regarding that quest...
    Show
    My current RP plan is, if and when I get there, to have my (Vashoth) Inquisitor take a good look at the situation and realize "this is what the Qun demands" and angrily toss it aside. RP aside, the Qunari set things up to force Bull to choose "us or them," and their reasons for choosing "us" only hold water if you deem the Qunari necessary for your war effort. Furthermore, the Inquisition's current area of influence are two neighboring regions, who share a land border, making the Qunari navy (as formidable as it is) superfluous. They (or at least the Qunari in charge of this operation) have proven themselves to be arrogant, manipulative, and as callous toward bas as they ever were, not exactly a good diplomatic starting point. The Inquisition has nothing to prove to them. Besides, if war comes, war comes. It'll suck to kill good ol' Sten, sure, but any war they start with Thedas will be a war they provoke, not the other way around.

EDIT: Besides, war with the Qunari deserves its own whole game, and therefore will not be affected by something as small as this one Venatori skirmish.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-02 at 08:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Regarding the Chargers:

Spoiler
    Show
    Appeasing the qunari will not matter a lick in the long run. Save the dreadnought if you value dozens of qunari lives over a handful of mercenaries.

Personally, I say screw the qunari. You have a chance to weaken the Qun - take it.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-02 at 12:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Zousha, did you ever talk to the sten in Dragon Age 1? As far as he's concerned, the war never stopped, it only took a breather while the qunari get in a good tactical position. Did you ever talk to the Iron Bull? He's clear that the qunari consider conquering the entire world their purpose. And you think whether the Inquisition alienated the Qunari will "make the difference between peace and war"? Most people don't make their moral decisions based on "this will make someone frown so I won't do it," and the qunari are more resolute than the average person, not less. The only way to have the Inquisition be on the same side of the war as the qunari is to immediately convert to the Qun and force all your followers to do so as well, which would not avert war, just put you on the same side of the existent war as the people you're agonizing about maybe alienating, and on the other side from everybody else in the games. (There's also the little detail that you can't do it.)

Let the Chargers get slaughtered if you think the Qun as the qunari interpret it is just and right and that it's a good thing the Iron Bull is qunari and would be a bad thing if he became Tal-Vashoth, if you value the lives of strange qunari more than the lives of the Chargers, or if you're making the decision from a ruthlessly tactical perspective and judge the qunari's help to be more useful than the Chargers' service. Save them if you think the Qun as the qunari interpret it is wrong and that it would be a good thing if the Iron Bull became Tal-Vashoth and truly loyal to the Inquisition rather than remaining a qunari spy, if you value the lives of the Chargers more than the lives of strange qunari, or if you're making the decision from a ruthlessly tactical perspective and judge the Chargers' loyalty to be more useful than the qunari's help. Don't spin fantasies about any decision you make there somehow averting war between the qunari and the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Kish; 2015-05-02 at 09:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

The whole thing's just confusing. There's no clear cut answer as to what's the ethical choice. Most people I've described the scenario to who haven't played the game say the ethical thing is to sacrifice the Chargers because they're soldiers, and if soldiers have to die to complete a mission then they have to die. Plus, the alliance is a historic first for the Qunari and the world. It's basically them admitting that bas can be negotiated with as equals rather than just stupid animals who need to be conquered for their own good. If the Qunari are finally willing to admit that after all this time, then maybe a bridge between the two societies can finally be achieved, maybe the Qun can change or something.

And did you REALLY have to insult me to make your point?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2015-05-02 at 11:15 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's basically them admitting that bas can be negotiated with as equals rather than just stupid animals who need to be conquered for their own good.
    I respectfully disagree; The whole mission is a setup to get Bull to return to the fold, in such a way that they can blame any trouble on you, or on Bull. They certainly don't consider you to be an "equal," as that would involve basalit-an status, a term which I notice is absent from the briefing that Gatt gives you. Besides, even if they did they're certainly not negotiating as equals. In fact, they're not negotiating at all - they're sending in the frigging army. And only if the Inquisition toes the line do they even consider allying in the first place.

The whole thing is fishy - if the dreadnaught is so important, why risk it at all? Why do you need a dreadnaught and a band of mercs to take down one camp of smugglers? Why did the dreadnaught advance on the beach at your signal with so many Venatori there? If they've been observing them for long enough to know they need a three-pronged attack, why didn't they have better intel on the troop numbers? Why do they need the Inquisition for this? Why is Gatt the person putting forward this plan, and not a Beresaad commander? For that matter, why are the Ben-Hassrath involved in a military operation in the first place?

EDIT: And another thing: Why are they trusting the assets that Bull brings to the table when half of them think Bull is as good as Tal-Vashoth already?
    Last edited by Landis963; 2015-05-03 at 12:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Those are good points, but the Inquisitor is made basalit-an if the mission is successful. And the indication I got both from the Arishok's awarding of that title to Hawke and the fact that this alliance is a historical first for the Qunari was that it's a title that is NOT given lightly.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Those are good points, but the Inquisitor is made basalit-an if the mission is successful. And the indication I got both from the Arishok's awarding of that title to Hawke and the fact that this alliance is a historical first for the Qunari was that it's a title that is NOT given lightly.
    So they give you that title after the mission in which you demonstrated obedience to them to the point of betraying a valued asset on their say-so. My, how they honor you.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Trying not to read too much. But I'm just about to do Iron Bull's quest. I just finished "Here Lies the Abyss", and I feel like I've made a huge mistake.

Spoiler
    Show
    I saved Hawke, but then allowed the Grey Wardens to join the Inquisition. Without Stroud's leadership, I fear they are the weak link in the Inquisition that I am building.

Side note: As much as I adore Dorian, if Cullen swung my way, I'd drop Dorian in a heartbeat. Gotta go talk him down after chatting with Cassandra. Bioware continues to create interesting companions that I like chatting with.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    Trying not to read too much. But I'm just about to do Iron Bull's quest. I just finished "Here Lies the Abyss", and I feel like I've made a huge mistake.

Spoiler
    Show
    I saved Hawke, but then allowed the Grey Wardens to join the Inquisition. Without Stroud's leadership, I fear they are the weak link in the Inquisition that I am building.

Side note: As much as I adore Dorian, if Cullen swung my way, I'd drop Dorian in a heartbeat. Gotta go talk him down after chatting with Cassandra. Bioware continues to create interesting companions that I like chatting with.
    Yeah I did the same thing first run, and there was war table mission where:
    Spoiler: Spoiler Ahead Read At Your Own Risk
    Show
    You could send the Gray Wardens to deal with Darkspawn in that one deserty place. The mission has about two others that pop up afterwards with basically the same set-up, and every time you send the wardens they suffer heavy casualties. If you use the Wardens all three times the game says that the Wardens are basically all gone now. I felt like a villain after that, but a mastermind villain.

Ehh, I didn't Cullen all that much. I didn't hate him or anything, but I always felt like he was just sort of...there. Dorian on the other hand, I thought was great.
    Last edited by StabbityRabbit; 2015-05-03 at 11:15 AM.
    Grand avatar by the grand Oneris.
    Spoiler: Awesome Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.
    Devout Omnian in the playground

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StabbityRabbit View Post
    Ehh, I didn't Cullen all that much. I didn't hate him or anything, but I always felt like he was just sort of...there. Dorian on the other hand, I thought was great.
    Yeah, Cullen would not show up on my "would romance" list either, personally. Actually, only about half of DA:I's romances would. Josephine's the only one I've done, and I definitely liked hers. Otherwise though, I'd only be interested in seeing Cassandra, Solas, and maybe Dorian's. The rest, no, can't see myself ever doing those. Sera feels way too awkward with her apparent level of maturity and intelligence, Blackwall and Cullen just seem like they'd be dull, and Iron Bull is a Qunari, and his personality doesn't exactly make me like him that much more than I would any other Qunari.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I did the same thing first run, and there was war table mission where:
    Spoiler: Spoiler Ahead Read At Your Own Risk
    Show
    You could send the Gray Wardens to deal with Darkspawn in that one deserty place. The mission has about two others that pop up afterwards with basically the same set-up, and every time you send the wardens they suffer heavy casualties. If you use the Wardens all three times the game says that the Wardens are basically all gone now. I felt like a villain after that, but a mastermind villain.
    Spoiler: War Table Mission
    Show

Actually, depending on your choices in that mission the Wardens can almost all live and still be in fighting shape. You only get them killed if you made tactically poor choices.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Cullen actually dumps you if you keep him on the lyrium, but only because he doesn't see a future with you (since he's doomed to slowly go insane). But otherwise, his romance is fairly cheery and sweet.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2015-05-03 at 12:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

@ Grey Wardens: Not to burst anyone's Machiavellian bubble, but:

Spoiler
    Show
    All the Keep asks is "did you banish them or not" and "who was left behind in the Fade." The Keep doesn't track any of the missions you can send them on, therefore their survival on those won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, Cullen would not show up on my "would romance" list either, personally. Actually, only about half of DA:I's romances would. Josephine's the only one I've done, and I definitely liked hers. Otherwise though, I'd only be interested in seeing Cassandra, Solas, and maybe Dorian's. The rest, no, can't see myself ever doing those. Sera feels way too awkward with her apparent level of maturity and intelligence, Blackwall and Cullen just seem like they'd be dull, and Iron Bull is a Qunari, and his personality doesn't exactly make me like him that much more than I would any other Qunari.
    Blackwall's romance is great actually. I agree with you on Bull and Cullen though.

Cullen actually dumps you if you keep him on the lyrium, but only because he doesn't see a future with you (since he's doomed to slowly go insane). But otherwise, his romance is fairly cheery and sweet.
    I can't imagine who would in their right mind would romance the guy and then keep him an addict Glad Bioware included consequences for that sort of thinking.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can't imagine who would in their right mind would romance the guy and then keep him an addict Glad Bioware included consequences for that sort of thinking.
    The sort of person who is deliberately going for the worst possible world state. In fact, I came across a pithy nickname for such runs, as evocative as "FailShep" was in its heyday. A person who antagonizes everyone, who makes the shortsighted or evil decisions left, right, and center, and such is henceforth to be known as the "Assquisitor."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Same here really. Only difference I can see between what you say, and what I'd say is that I romanced Dorian, and Cassandra. I really liked Dorian's romance, but Cassandra's felt sort of meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    Spoiler: War Table Mission
    Show

Actually, depending on your choices in that mission the Wardens can almost all live and still be in fighting shape. You only get them killed if you made tactically poor choices.
    Spoiler: Wardens
    Show
    Well, yes, but that's the point. What I was advocating was repeatedly making decisions that were "poor" tactically. Looking at it from a purely pragmatic perspective though Cullen provides an option that: gets rid of the problem, removes a liability, and does it quicker than the other options. Seems like a pretty solid decision to me.

@Psyren: I personally am not surprised to see that (and really expecting every little decision to matter seems kind of silly). I don't think the person is asking what to do that will matter in the long run. More what decisions to make in the short run to make them feel better in this game.
    Show
    Oh no! My evil plot to talk about elfgames and my having of an unacceptable opinion has been uncovered!
    Play nice, boys.
    The Warden communicates through a complicated language of subtle body movements and flatulence. With a single flutter of their eyelashes and a well-timed fart, the Warden can recite a 16-stanza poem about nugs.

27. - Top - End - #237

Jerquisitor?

I'm going to hold off on making one until some consequences are more apparent, like the outcome of Bull and Sera's quests. I do plan on doing a FailShep run soon so I can have the worst Citadel party ever though. (I can't figure out if it's more jerkish to blow Wrex away in ME1, or let him survive to ME3 and then sabotage the cure.)

Same here really. Only difference I can see between what you say, and what I'd say is that I romanced Dorian, and Cassandra. I really liked Dorian's romance, but Cassandra's felt sort of meh.
    Cassandra's is fantastic if you're Qunari imo. You really see the conflict and uncertainty gripping her, plus she has a handful of unique lines.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-05-03 at 02:05 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jerquisitor?

I'm going to hold off on making one until some consequences are more apparent, like the outcome of Bull and Sera's quests. I do plan on doing a FailShep run soon so I can have the worst Citadel party ever though. (I can't figure out if it's more jerkish to blow Wrex away in ME1, or let him survive to ME3 and then sabotage the cure.)
    Let him live to ME3, so that you get the betrayal cutscene after Bioware upgraded the engine. Also it's much more dynamic than the standoff on Virmire.

And "Jerquisitor" could just as easily apply to an aggressive Inquisitor than an absolute failure of one.

29. - Top - End - #239

(I can't figure out if it's more jerkish to blow Wrex away in ME1, or let him survive to ME3 and then sabotage the cure.)
    Blow him away in ME1. If he dies in ME3, the other krogan know 1) that peaceful coexistence with the other races is theoretically possible, and 2) that a cure is possible.

If he dies in ME1 and then you don't sabotage the cure for Wreav, on the other hand, the galaxy goes straight from battling the Reapers to the Krogan Rebellion II: Revenge of the Krogan. (As least, once they repair enough mass relays that they can invade other systems, considering that I'm sure this FailShep will have very low war assets and choose the Destroy option*.)

*Alternatively, you could choose the Reject option, but I'd argue that if you're going to do that, you should try to do everything up to that point as perfectly as possible--let everyone anticipate a bright future before you pull the rug out from under them and change it to, "Actually, you're all going to die now."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Cassandra's is fantastic if you're Qunari imo. You really see the conflict and uncertainty gripping her, plus she has a handful of unique lines.
    That playthrough I was playing a Super-Dalish(seriously if there was a elf/dalish option it was picked without fail) elven mage. So while there was some cute stuff in her romance too often she would ridicule him for his religion, and make attempts at converting him. Eventually this culminated in her saying "How could the elves believe such silly things?"* which was the breaking point for me. Looking back though I realize this is more a poor choice of character to romance her with than anything else. Still I prefer Dorian's (and I do remember there being some good lines there if you were a qunari too).

* It's been a while since I last played so I could've messed up the quote, but the general gist is the same. Plus she didn't say it towards my elfquisitor in particular, but as a little line of banter towards the end of the game.
    Show
    Play nice, boys.