New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Age of Aeon: The Cavalry IC

Midnight, Riptide, La Armadura, and Aegis
    "Crime spree?" Rubber-Bandit asks in response to La Armadura. He then lets out a sarcastic laugh to follow it. "Do you arrest an old man because he went out walking and just happened to have gotten released from jail recently? I've served my time and where I go is my business. I'm not even remotely an A-lister, no cop would care that you found me just walking back home, minding my own business."

He glances towards Riptide as she pops up from the waterline and he swallows hard, finishing just as Riptide declares she failed to find anything. "See?" he asks with a hint of relief and plenty of annoyance. "You've searched me, and the area, and there's nothing wrong. So right now I'm rubber, and you're glue. Anything else you do will bounce off me and stick to you. I've seen more than a few over-zealous heroes get their careers ended by harassing D-listers like this. Now if you'll excuse me I have my daughter this weekend and I'm sure her babysitter would like to go home," he states with an annoyed scoff, moving to leave past the heroes.

Dr. Destructo, Scavenger, and Golden Matador
    "Curator said he'd look up what he can in the morning, but okie-dokie otherwise!" Chief O'Casey says in his typical cheery and overly loud tone to the heroes. "Just wrap things up soon, folks. My boys will watch the museum in case another thief shows, but I'm sure the rest of my guys would like to head home soon," O'Casey mentions, nodding to his men in the van with the heroes. They nod in agreement, practically trying to wipe the sleepiness from their eyes.

Spoiler: Pointless OOC
    Show
    Avengers: Age of Ultron is tomorrow!! I'm so excited and I practically cannot manage to wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcran
    Sapient is very good at silly-serious.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah... the second Riptide popped up and declared the lack of anything she could spot La Armadura knew this little stand-off was over, Armadura completed dialing the number on her phone and walked past The Rubber Bandit as he walked by, moving closer to her teammates. Armadura kept the call short and settled on tipping off the ACPD that the Rubber Bandit was a suspect and to keep an eye out for him. She gestured for the gathered teammates to huddle up,

"First..." Armadura told everyone in a soft voice, "...word of advice Riptide, don't declare evidence out loud like that when we're questioning or confronting suspects, wait or pull one of us to the side so you don't encourage them to keep up the charade," she told the wizard, "Though in this case he probably wasn't going to cave anyways, so it's cool," Armadura sighed.

The luchadora paused for a bit before looking to Midnight, "I know he's probably on his guard now, but think you might be able to tail him?" Armadura didn't want to just leave it to Midnight, but she wasn't the most subtle superhero, that said unless the others back at the museum found something else to go on she was out of ideas on what to do herself. Nonetheless Armadura pulled out her phone and dialed The Golden Matador.

"Hola, Golden Matador? Ustedes encontrar algo?" she asked her fellow español.
    Last edited by Nintendogeek01; 2015-04-30 at 08:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

River looked confused for a moment, but then nodded. "Yeah, sorry, will do. I just stopped considering him a suspect when the evidence indicated otherwise," she said. "Sorry for the inconvenience," she then said with a gentle smile to the masked man. She wasn't particularly sympathetic to the rest of his complaint; he had acted suspiciously enough to draw their focus, the evidence cleared him, that was that.

"Is that...really necessary?" River asked when Armadura suggested tailing him. "I'd think our best move would be to meet back up with the others. Unless the theory is that the thieves haven't made the drop yet, in which case we could keep staking this place out. But I kinda think the items have slready beed dropped and retrieved, at this point."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The doctor nods. "Certainly. I've... an idea. A way to give us an edge, when the time comes to face the woman." He scratches his chin and gives a disquieting grin, turning to look at the others. "Which way is the nearest electronics outlet? I find myself in need of parts..."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

"Just one more thing, if you will indulge me," Sara says. "We saw you discarding something in that direction. What was it?" she asks, gesturing to the location searched.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Scavenger

The ghoul left the Golden Matador to discuss with the cop and wrap things up outside as he turns to look at Doctor Destructo. "You mean an electronics store? Exactly what are you trying to make Doctor?" With the Doctor's less-than-comforting mood in mind, Scavenger cautiously begins leading Destructo outside the van, giving instructions to a nearby electronic place down on the edge of Lowtown, where the ghoul had once gone to many times when he lived as a human in Darkbrow. "If we are going there then at least take me and Matador along. I know the place better than most people in Aeon City."

As soon as he is done giving instructions, Scavenger hears Matador's phone go off. With a confirmation on who is ringing, Matador hands it over to Scavenger for the moment. "Armadura? It's Scavenger. Golden Matador is currently negotiating with the other officers. Did you get anything from the drop-off point we got from Redhawk?" Scavenger does his best to try and sound like a living human across the phone, though the attempt comes off as only a little less uncanny than when he speaks normally as a ghoul.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Why do you have..." La Armadura was about to ask why he had the phone in the first place, but decided it wasn't important. Conscious of the Rubber Bandit being stopped for one more question, Armadura decided against telling Scavenger the Rubber Bandit... for now, she'd have to send a text to the other teammate's phones about the Rubber Bandit's presence later. "Dead end I'm afraid," Armadura told her ghoul teammate.

Pft, dead end wasn't too far from the actual truth though; if he did slip something down there it was either something innocuous or it was already retrieved while they were deciding what to do with the Rubber Bandit, and he's not answering questions either. Pft... is a man like that actually... a... fath...

Madre de Dios... why would an Emerald City resident have a daughter here in the first place?

"I'll call you back let me know what you got later okay?" La Armadura requested, her voice was quivering slightly, she hung up the phone and turned around to look at the Rubber Bandit, waiting for his response to Midnight's question.

8. - Top - End - #248

BardGuy

"A small cloaking mechanism - perhaps something contained in a bracelet-like device," the doctor replies, walking along with his undead teammate. "I think that our teammate may make an even better impression on our quarry if he brings a gift... such as, perhaps, a piece of jewelry which, unbeknownst to the woman, will serve as a tracker."

9. - Top - End - #249

SwashbucklerGuy

Scavenger

Armadura's otherwise-amusing phrasing left the ghoul with little to react about. With nothing to report the only lead left right now is with Faster Pussycat, which probably will be as successful as a trying to take a supervillain in custody with simple guns and ammunition. "Right, keep us updated," he mentions just before getting hanged up on. He probably shouldn't be surprised, being a ghoul that picked up someone else's phone. Hanging around Destructo might not be helping matters any.

He'd give back the phone to Matador once he's done speaking with the police. In the meantime he tries catching up with the Doctor and his plans to build a tracking device. "Something like that might work, if she doesn't suspect anything." The mind of a supervillain is lost on Scavenger. How do they think if they compete with each other while avoiding heroes? Even if it's the only plan they have, it's like trying to arrest a criminal while blinded. At the lease he didn't want to continue without getting a sense of how these superscientific devices will work. "Can you go over exactly how you construct a bracelet or necklace with a tracking device? That will require making the tracking mechanism extremely tiny, fit it neatly inside the object, and probably will need to be designed so it won't be picked up by most electronic-detecting mechanisms."

Scavenger did like getting the details when he can, or at least preparing contingency plans for when things go wrong.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2015-05-02 at 11:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250

BardGuy

The doctor smiles. "Ah! It all begins with... " and from there he launches into a stream of technobabble so dense, complicated, and filled with words exceeding ten syllables in length, that you question if some of it is even in English.

"...And of course, once the electromagnetic field warps the photonic pathways, it's simple enough to..." Wow. He's still going. Say what you will about Dr. Destructo (and oh, people have - usually from across a witness stand or, occasionally, religious pulpit), he certainly does enjoy talking about science. If this is what one of his physics lectures is like at the university, it's a wonder any of his students ever pass. Or survive with their sanity intact.

"...Which will prevent unwanted detection, obviously." He grins to Scavenger. "Does that make sense?"

He pauses and glances up, then turns back, grinning even more widely. "Excellent, we've arrived. Come along!" And he heads inside. "Excuse me, hello? I wish to buy some parts!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    All right! Planning on building an Invention - a cloaking device in the form of a relatively aesthetically pleasing bracelet. This device will be designed to shut off after only about 5 minutes of use - while not *appearing* to have shut off for a good 10 or 15. The whole time, it'll act as a tracking device, both Subtle and (if necessary) Insidious. If my math is right, that's a 12 point invention
    (Total Visual Concealment: 8 Points, Tracer: 1 Point, Subtle x2: 2 Points, Insidious: 1 point) which leaves a DC of 22 for both Design and Construction. Both are easily achievable with a Routine check, and with my tech-related Quickness ranks we're looking at about 2 1/2 minutes to design and about 12 minutes to construct the device.
    Last edited by hobbitguy1420; 2015-05-04 at 10:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251

SwashbucklerGuy

Scavenger

Unsurprisingly, Scavenger isn't really able to keep up with Doctor Destructo and his borderline-nonsensical explanation on a superscienfitic invention. The ghoul never was knowledgeable on physics in the first place; trying to understand this was like punching a steel wall. He isn't really sure how to put it lightly that he doesn't quite follow. Even trying to summarize felt like a feat beyond his intelligence. "I... think so. The mechanism inside the object releases some tiny signal which is found only by a specific code in another device you have made elsewhere. And small EMP waves given off by the mechanism unconsciously jam any electronic detectors which come in range." He had to admit, he didn't give a half-bad attempt to describe the process. How accurate he is, on the other hand, is not something he can judge.

The moment Doctor Destructo heads inside, Scavenger instead stands next to the doors, in the shadows. "I probably shouldn't come in. They may panic at my form," he rationalizes as he lets the Doctor get the parts he needs... Hopefully not through any illegal or forceful methods. If it doesn't go well... Scavenger hopes Matador is nearby.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2015-05-03 at 04:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

BardGuy

The doctor pokes his head out the door. "That's a very succinct explanation that fits all of the facts while being incorrect in nearly every specific detail," he says, grinning widely, then ducked back into the store. "Yes, and that one - no, the one on the top, the expensive one. Don't worry, I'm good for it!"

13. - Top - End - #253

WhiteWizardGirl

The Rubber-Bandit turns around to look at Midnight and the other heroes as she asks her question. "I was fishing for driftwood. It likes to collect along the pier. My daughter makes little pieces of art with stuff like that, and we sell them at street fairs for a couple extra dollars for her. Granted she's seven so they're mostly wind-chimes, but she's cute enough people still buy them anyways," Rubber-Bandit responds, turning back to continue on his way as he answers Midnight's question. A gust of cold wind follows him from the lakefront, brushing past the heroes. On the wind's lips the four can swear they hear something that could easily be a man shivering in the cold air or a lake monster howling on the opposite shore.

The police just sort of notice as Dr. Destructo, Scavenger, and Golden Matador wander off after Matador drops the necessary details upon them. From behind the three is just barely audible the sound of the police trucks moving away from the museum, only one car remaining on site for the rest of the night. The streets of Aeon are quiet tonight, despite the commotion that pulled it from it's earliest sleep a few hours ago. It's the kind of night when the air is getting fairly warm in the day but the nights haven't quite caught up with the day, and the wind off the lake sweeps through town with a chill. A few people hurry home in the dark under the streetlamps, pulling hats closer to their heads when the wind hits and giving an occasional nervous glance to Scavenger and the Doctor as they pass.

Somewhere in the city is a distant siren, likely an officer catching a speeding driver by how fast the siren disappears. To get to the electronics store, one that somehow manages to operate 24-7, the trio passes an alley where a gust of wind rushes through, scattering papers in front of the trio. There are rumors that a night like this is perfect to catch the Lake Aeon Monster, although there are just as many rumors claiming he likes calm waters. It's a night when the wind whispers homeless men awake from their slumbers in startled moments, the stars gaze down from high above, and the shadows talk about the trio of superhumans that approach the electronics store. Inside, the employee quickly wakes up from the sudden shock of the formerly evil madman in front of him, quickly helping him with everything he needs.

14. - Top - End - #254

BardGuy

Dr. Destructo finishes gathering up the items he needs. "Excellent, thank you!" He reaches into a pocket of his lab coat (completely missing that the store's workers all back away apprehensively at the movement), and draws out a thick wad of bills. He counts out a few, pulls them from the stack, and tosses them onto the counter. "That should cover these supplies. Feel free to keep the change!" Given that he's tossed out about ten times the value of the items he's purchased, the worker in the shop is probably going to have a *very* good week.

The doctor picks up the full, heavy bags and walks out into the night. "Now! I need someplace to work!"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well," Midnight says with a bow. "Sorry to have disturbed your day."

"So, where are we to go now? That's one lead gone."

Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The fact that the Rubber Bandit could very well be telling the truth about the driftwood and his daughter was NOT a comfort to the luchadora; he can't seriously be out here acting like he's a good father figure can he? Can he?

Armadura turned to Midnight, she was right, they had little to no reason to keep pursuing this lead, not without shooting themselves in the new team's collective foot. Still Armadura didn't trust the Rubber Bandit anywhere NEAR as far as she could throw him.

"I still don't think he's completely clean in all this," she told her teammates in a low voice, "Could try tailing him, but that's not something I'm good at so I can't make that call," she admitted with a sigh; under the circumstances it didn't feel right to ask someone else to do something when at this point it was more personal feelings driving her suspicions rather than anything tied to the investigation of the museum. "I'll call the others and actually confirm what they've got, but other than either of those two things we're just standing here catching a draft," she pointed out.

As late as it was getting it was doubtful that any police or AEGIS liaisons she contacted would be too happy to get a request, best wait until the morning to pursue that route... but there was one crowd that'd likely still be up and sneaking about.

La Armadura pulled out her phone and was about to start dialing when that bellowing on the wind reached her ears, prompting La Armadura to give an annoyed sigh; she really didn't need another distraction, much less a damnable urban myth. Still it did prompt the Luchadora to turn around.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I guess I'll have her look out at the lake via perception: (1d20+6)[21]

But yeah unless something else happens that demands her immediate attention Armadura's gonna call Golden Matador and then go alleyway hunting, see what any street punks might know: which I figure as there's no way in hell the average street punk could hurt her we could just gloss over unless you think we ought to go into detail.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not sure. Odds are pretty good that the drop and pickup already happened. I think our best move might be to meet back up with the others, see what they've learned, and come up with a new plan of action from there. Although I suppose it wouldn't hurt for one of us to remain around here for a couple more hours just in case."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #258

SwashbucklerGuy

Scavenger

Scavenger turns his head as he sees Doctor Destructo arrive out of the store, thankfully without causing a panic or riot caused. Regretfully the ghoul's response to Destructo is quite lackluster. "I have no home, at least not one suitable for putting the device together." He pauses, considers what sort of environment would be needed. "Exactly what sort of place will you need anyway? This won't require a specific, scientific lab will it?"

Hoping that another hero will actually be able to help the Doctor better than Scavenger will, he turns to look towards Golden Matador. "Any place you know that we can use?" he says, hardly hiding the respect in his voice amidst his dry, horrid vocal chords. Compared to working on his own, Scavenger feels relieved to have someone to rely on, especially when he has to work with someone that can turn into a walking landmine depending on their mood.

19. - Top - End - #259

"At least the Doctor walks away this night with a bag full of goodies." says Matador as he eyes the bags Doctor Destructo carried away from the electronics shop. "Are you sure this will be enough for us to catch señorita Pussycat?"

"Matador's place is a bit cramped and is reserved solely for the señoritas. Pausing for a moment as if in consideration, Golden Matador pipes up again. "I do know a place that might have some tools handy, but the owner might be away on business and he tends to get touchy when someone touches his stuff."

20. - Top - End - #260

BardGuy

Dr. Destructo raises his eyebrows. "If you needed something, you should have asked. We can turn back, if you like."
    Last edited by hobbitguy1420; 2015-05-07 at 11:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

SwashbucklerGuy

Scavenger

The ghoulish hero frowns at Doctor Destructo's retort; both him and Matador are getting along as well as a man does in water when an anvil is chained to his feet. While Scavenger holds respect for the Golden Matador, constant wisecracks seem to quickly become a bother in the grand scheme of getting things done. "I'm sure we have all we need," Scavenger hastily speaks up, determined to interrupt before more arguing between the other two heroes ensued.

"It seems like we've got at least one place we can use. I don't want to wander around Aeon City for hours trying to find that one perfect place while we're on the clock." Attempting to speak as if in command is a rather alien strategy when in a superhero team. He's still well below the reputation, resources, or outright power of the other heroes in the group. This insecurity of placing himself in this position is clearly found in his voice; his coarse tone lacks the loud leadership of Matador, the sheer intimidation of Destructo, the gentle persuasion of Riptide, the deceptive trickery of Midnight, or the terrifyingly persuasive presence of Aegis and Armadura. Most cops don't have much of that, much less one whose degraded into a undead.

Yet Scavenger tries now, for how else are Matador and Destructo going to get anything done at this rate? "We can discuss this with the business owner when we get the chance, alright?"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2015-05-07 at 11:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

"Yes, we do need a bunch of bananas if we're going to use Hit-Monkey's place. A lot of bananas to be on the safe side."

"Come on, his place is just a few blocks from here. I hope though that he forgot to update his traps since the last time I went there."

Without waiting for the others, Golden Matador starts off in the approximate direction of Hit Monkey's hideout but stops after a few steps. "For the record Doc, I was just asking if you had something like jewelry there for the señorita." With that done, he takes off again.

Show
    Expertise: Criminal or Law Enforcement DC 15 I think should suffice to know the basics of Hit Monkey. DC 20 for more info.

@Sape: I hope this doesn't step on your toes. Just doing this to speed some things up. You're free to say if Hit Monkey is in his hideout/in the city or not.
    Last edited by Avalon®; 2015-05-08 at 12:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263

BardGuy

Dr. Destructo rolls his eyes. "That simian simpleton has a lair in Aeon? I ought to have known. Lead on. With luck he's out of town and we won't need to deal with his screeching."

He considers Matador's words. "I suppose I can craft this... trojan tracker into an aesthetically pleasing form. Some sort of wide bracelet, perhaps."
    Last edited by hobbitguy1420; 2015-05-09 at 12:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

WhiteWizardGirl

Glancing out over the lake, there appears to be nothing except a couple larger ships bobbing in the nighttime waves. Certainly nothing that could make some kind of inhuman call. The boat tour with all of the late-night monster hunters aboard it pulls out of port, a small cheer going up from the small crowd gathered on-board. As the ship trudges out toward the distant parts of Lake Legacy, it flicks off all lights save for the ones on the front, so that those on board can adjust their eyes while searching through the water. Although at least one person on board keeps their eyes focused to light, using a smartphone that illuminates a distant and unrecognizable face.

The pier itself is starting to empty out, most of the random faces disappearing along with the Rubber-Bandit who left as soon as the heroes stopped focusing on him. A few people bundled up against the cold hurry past the Cavalry, casting an occasional worried glance at the heroes being so out in the open in a dangerous part of town. Many just speed past, walking swiftly with their scarves whipping in the wind. It's getting later by the minute, and even in a city that never sleeps, the streets still get quiet and still at certain times. Redhawk was captured, Rubber-Bandit turned out to either be nothing or gave the heroes nothing, and there wasn't word from the other three Cavalry members on any other leads. If there are any trails left to follow, they'd probably wake up in the morning.

The trio arrive at Hit Monkey's safehouse, or at least where it should be. It's in a less developed portion of Aeon, where the streets look rougher despite not actually being that rough. The building in question is a somewhat run-down but functional apartment complex, the kind without locks on the front doors and a mailbox directory filled with names that appear to have been whited out a few times and written over. Hit Monkey's apartment is located on the third floor, C9 to be exact, at least judging by the pseudonym written on C9's mailbox. 'Sim, Ian'. As far as a pseudonym goes, Ian Sim isn't that harsh of a pun, but spelled out looks to be particularly fake. Come to think of it, at least two dozen other names on the mailboxes look to be fake, except for Donnie Moore, the superhuman thug named Anvil, who appears to be stupid enough not to use any kind of pseudonym. Thankfully last anyone heard he was in jail so there's no danger in passing by him.

The trip up the stairs is uneventful, and the trio approach Hit Monkey's apartment without anyone popping out of their room to question the ex-supervillain, zombie, and matador walking through the halls. Hit Monkey's door is likely locked, but behind it would be all the tools Dr. Destructo needs to engineer a device to trick Faster Pussycat. The lock is easily picked and the door swings open without being prevented by another lock, indicating one thing to Golden Matador: Hit Monkey's not in the building. The simian assassin is paranoid whenever he's in his safehouses, locking them with every available means, but whenever he leaves he can only usually leave one lock engaged. At least the doctor won't be interrupted while he works.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Midnight sighs, disappearing to her appartment to continue her "Just a college student" persona she's adopted here. In actuality, she sleeps because it was late, as normal people do. Unlike normal people, she sleeps for maybe five minutes before getting up, feeling refreshed. Much of the night is filled with naps like this, which punctuate her online searches for all these criminals that keep cropping up. Is there any connecting factor amongst them? Maybe Rubber was innocent, which only removes information. They weren't even sure of the significance of what was stolen...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Investigate, I suppose. Trying to find out anything about why someone would want what was stolen.
    (1d20+3)[15]

Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For some reason the phone wasn't getting answered so the luchadora shook her head and tucked the phone away. "Hasta luego," she bid her companions before taking a mighty leap into the night.

Armadura made a few pit stops to rough neighborhoods as she made her way back to where she left her civvies and her car. On any few occasions she found some gangbangers she'd put a stop to whatever they were doing and question them about word on the street regarding The Rubber Bandit, maybe get info she didn't know off the top of her head, but she was not going to take crap from them.
    Spoiler: Intimidation
    Show
    (1d20+10)[26] On any street thugs for any info on the Rubber Bandit.

Sooner or later she manages to find where she stashed her civilian clothes, luckily still finding them. Once she was dressed in her drop-dead gorgeous choice of outfit she made her way through the alley back to her car, and soon she was off.

Back at home Amalia took care of her nightly hygiene, she threw her costume into its display case without bothering to properly hang it up before shutting it behind the closet door, showered off and wandered over to the kitchen for a bite to eat while her hair dried off. Once settling on just a bowl of cereal she wandered around the house, bowl in hand, until she found herself in front of a few pictures hanging on the wall. Pictures of her siblings, from various stages in their life, both here in Aeon and over in Spain, Amalia let her gaze linger on one picture where her brother and sister got to do a fan-photo with "La Armadura," something about those beaming smiles on all three faces made Amalia give a frustrated sigh before she went over to the couch in front of the TV.

She sat down and turned the thing on, but when she put the remote back down her gaze shifted to a picture frame sitting on the end table, prompting her to pick it up and look at it: a picture of Doris, her husband, and their baby, Amalia's nephew. As she looked at this picture her thoughts raced: was it a good idea to put on that costume again? Did she do enough tonight? Was her family going to worry? What can she do to help the little girl? Why was she still pretending to be a hero? What about her own family?

SNAP

Amalia was snapped back to reality as the edge of the picture frame snapped like a twig from only the slightest pressure applied, the glass in the frame breaking accordingly. She carefully lay the broken frame down on the end table and pulled out the picture from the remains, luckily it was spared terrible damage and only had a slight crease on it. Amalia's face turned into a full-on frown and she hugged the picture to her bosom, as though telling it "It's going to be okay," before she gently set it on the end table. Amalia ended up spending the rest of the night on that couch, slowly falling asleep to the dull sound of whatever was on the TV.
    Last edited by Nintendogeek01; 2015-05-09 at 02:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if the others weren't picking up, there wasn't much more to do for it. Midnight was gone too fast to bid farewell, but she responded to Armadura with, "Good night." After Midnight and Armadura left, River sent a text to the group. Stakeout was a bust. I'm going to hang here for a bit just in case, then head home. You guys up to meeting for breakfast tomorrow to compare notes?

That sent, she said to Aegis, "Well, next time, I guess. I'll catch you tomorrow man, have a good night," and then flew out over the water, a pretty good distance off; far enough that it'd be tricky for a normal person, especially without night vision, to see her flying there, but not so far that she couldn't keep a clear view of the drop point with her undersea-adapted eyes. She'd only hang around for an hour or so; she expected that the drop and pickup had already happened, but figured it was worth watching a little longer, just in case.

Unless by some miracle something did happen at the docks, she'd fly home thereafter, throwing a couple sandwiches together just 'cause she was hungry, and then heading straight to bed.

She considered what she knew. It was a weird coincidence that a former super-criminal (as best she had gathered from the context) had been poking around the drop point. But she didn't see how he could have hidden the plate from the searches they had conducted. So he had to be innocent, right? Well, or unsuccessful, she supposed. The guys in the van apparently hadn't gotten away with anything. Redhawk hadn't even managed to escape. Still, everything he had said had rung true, and River had a pretty good sense of when she was being lied to.

But according to Matador there were three thieves. Three attempts total, with one success, or three actual thefts amidst unknown attempts?

Well, either way, there wasn't much they'd be able to do about it tonight. The thieves were probably all at home in bed right now. Tomorrow, they could compare notes, and then see about finding the culprits. Best thing to do now was to make sure she was mentally fresh the next day.

After making that resolution, River was asleep in minutes.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

28. - Top - End - #268

SwashbucklerGuy

Scavenger

Entering the apartment, Scavenger had wondered whether there would be some sort of exaggeratedly complicated death trap for any heroes or thieves who tried to sneak in; those sort of things were rumors the ghoul had heard of back when he was actually a police officer. Instead the inactive, empty apartment room felt utterly calm. "I guess we'll be fine here," he says cautiously as he enters the room. "I'm still not sure if you suggested us to go here because it's a good workplace for the Doctor, or because you wanted our help in arresting Hit Monkey." Simply asking to do so would have been fine for Scavenger; nothing wrong when an undead can't sleep.

Scavenger checks around the apartment, noticing all the other locks within the place. "Do we want to lock the entire place? It would help keep the Doctor from any unwanted distractions." He turns around to look at Doctor Destructo. "At least, if this places works for you. I suppose there isn't much better available than a supervillain's 'base.'" For a very loose definition of a base, Hit Monkey's apartment counted as it. Nothing like the complex Scavenger originally thought it would be.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2015-05-10 at 11:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

BardGuy

The doctor looks over the apartment, then gives a harrumph. "This will be... acceptable," he says, grudgingly. "I'd prefer more sophisticated equipment, but I suppose not everybody keeps neutron arc etching equipment at hand." He takes another look around to be sure he's got a handle on where everything is, and gets to work.

Show
    Stats and the like are noted in a previous post. No rolls required!

Less than half an hour later, he holds up a bracelet of intricate, interlocking chevrons. Something like a narrow watch face with a single green button, five green lights, three yellow, and two red graces the center. "Here!" he says. "Pressing the button will result in five minutes' worth of total invisibility - but the indicators will show ten minutes' worth. In addition, a tracking signal will immediately be sent to all of our cell phones - silently, of course." He sits back, self-satisfied and obviously proud of his work. "Give the woman this bracelet and we'll have her." He rises to his feet and tosses the bracelet to Matador. "Now! I have some papers to grade before bed. Good night, gentlemen!"
    Last edited by hobbitguy1420; 2015-05-10 at 08:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    "I guess we'll be fine here," he says cautiously as he enters the room. "I'm still not sure if you suggested us to go here because it's a good workplace for the Doctor, or because you wanted our help in arresting Hit Monkey." Simply asking to do so would have been fine for Scavenger; nothing wrong when an undead can't sleep.
    "Nah. Hit-Monkey and I have an understanding. He doesn't do anything in this city while I'm around and we grab a couple of beers and bananas whenever he's here. I expected a few more traps when I come visit though..."

Finding a pen and some paper, Golden Matador writes a quick note to Hit-Monkey that explains why his stuff was touched and that Matador owes him a round of beers and a couple dozen bunches of bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsign View Post
    Scavenger checks around the apartment, noticing all the other locks within the place. "Do we want to lock the entire place? It would help keep the Doctor from any unwanted distractions." He turns around to look at Doctor Destructo. "At least, if this places works for you. I suppose there isn't much better available than a supervillain's 'base.'" For a very loose definition of a base, Hit Monkey's apartment counted as it. Nothing like the complex Scavenger originally thought it would be.
    Matador gives a nonchalant shrug. "Its the best place I can think of on short notice. Besides, this is more of a crash pad than an actual villain lair. Also, its best to not mess with his stuff. He gets very touchy about them."

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitguy1420 View Post
    Less than half an hour later, he holds up a bracelet of intricate, interlocking chevrons. Something like a narrow watch face with a single green button, five green lights, three yellow, and two red graces the center. "Here!" he says. "Pressing the button will result in five minutes' worth of total invisibility - but the indicators will show ten minutes' worth. In addition, a tracking signal will immediately be sent to all of our cell phones - silently, of course." He sits back, self-satisfied and obviously proud of his work. "Give the woman this bracelet and we'll have her." He rises to his feet and tosses the bracelet to Matador. "Now! I have some papers to grade before bed. Good night, gentlemen!"
    Without even looking, Matador catches the device with one hand. "Very well Doc. Just let me know if or when she responds."

Barely stopping a yawn, he makes his way to the exit. Matador now has to go and get some sleep before he goes back to work. I'll see both of you gentlemen later."