New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Belkar Metagaming

Is it possible that Belkar is capable of/is metagaming within the comic? Specifically, after his whole spirit quest with Shojo and realizing that he could 'cheat' within the game of society, he may have applied it in a sort-of-meta way to the game world.

Evidence:
    1) Belkar is willing to accept Roy's explanation for trusting Durkon before #945.
    2) He becomes considerably more hostile to him post #945.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Belkar Metagaming

Quote Originally Posted by Atomburster View Post
    Is it possible that Belkar is capable of/is metagaming within the comic? Specifically, after his whole spirit quest with Shojo and realizing that he could 'cheat' within the game of society, he may have applied it in a sort-of-meta way to the game world.

Evidence:
    1) Belkar is willing to accept Roy's explanation for trusting Durkon before #945.
    Like fudging die rolls? I don't think that is possible since I don't think there are literal die rolls behind the curtain of the OOTSverse, so to speak. As for misinterpreting feats on purpose or ignoring pre-reqs? That's the kind of thing I'd expect to work in the early days of the comic, but not for quite some time.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Like fudging die rolls? I don't think that is possible since I don't think there are literal die rolls behind the curtain of the OOTSverse, so to speak. As for misinterpreting feats on purpose or ignoring pre-reqs? That's the kind of thing I'd expect to work in the early days of the comic, but not for quite some time.
    To the contrary, I distinctly remember Durkon mentioning Vaarsuvius rolling a Natural 2 on his attempt to Dispel Nale's Suggestion on Belkar. Also the rogue who attacked Haley saying he "rolled mostly 6's, too." So they appear to exist, though they almost certainly won't be the driving force for any plot the big man Rich puts in place.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock_Summoner View Post
    To the contrary, I distinctly remember Durkon mentioning Vaarsuvius rolling a Natural 2 on his attempt to Dispel Nale's Suggestion on Belkar. Also the rogue who attacked Haley saying he "rolled mostly 6's, too." So they appear to exist, though they almost certainly won't be the driving force for any plot the big man Rich puts in place.
    Eh, I don't think there are literal dice being rolled. I think in OOTS verse, if you have a +10 to attack and the enemy has 20 AC, you have a flat 50% chance to hit them. But there aren't literal dice being rolled anymore so there's nothing to fudge. The probability is inherently built in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't think that Belkar became all that much more hostile to Durkon after the news of what Durkon was was revealed. Even if he has, I think that's more readily explained by the fact that he had several days to grow to dislike the new Durkon even more.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Oh come on, V metagames horribly in the first comic. OOTS wouldn't be OOTS if it had a functioning fourth wall, either in a game sense or a comic sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Oh come on, V metagames horribly in the first comic. OOTS wouldn't be OOTS if it had a functioning fourth wall, either in a game sense or a comic sense.
    Yeah, but I don't think that kind of thing would happen anymore.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Yeah, but I don't think that kind of thing would happen anymore.
    Sure, Haley would never have in-character knowledge about spell resistance, and it's not like Elan would take any more knowledge (webcomics) checks, right? I mean, surely, Rich would never put in a random gnome who knew the numerical save bonus granted by the vest of resistance, or worse still, have Haley mention the comic in the comic, right? And he certainly wouldn't have Elan and Haley discussing the comic layout, right?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

And it's not like Elan knows how much time it takes for the comic to update, right?
    Metagaming (or "metacomicing", as the case may be) has been the norm in OOTS for a long time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Sure, Haley would never have in-character knowledge about spell resistance, and it's not like Elan would take any more knowledge (webcomics) checks, right? I mean, surely, Rich would never put in a random gnome who knew the numerical save bonus granted by the vest of resistance, or worse still, have Haley mention the comic in the comic, right? And he certainly wouldn't have Elan and Haley discussing the comic layout, right?
    Okay, let's slow down there with the sarcasm, jeez. Yes, knowledge of the game mechanics is built into the world, I know that, give me credit that I am not a complete moron, okay? I'm talking about the context of the thread, where Belkar is fudging the rules to be more competent somehow. I was acknowledging yes, that sort of thing would have been perfectly in line with the early comics, but I don't think it would happen anymore.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, let's slow down there with the sarcasm, jeez. Yes, knowledge of the game mechanics is built into the world, I know that, give me credit that I am not a complete moron, okay? I'm talking about the context of the thread, where Belkar is fudging the rules to be more competent somehow. I was acknowledging yes, that sort of thing would have been perfectly in line with the early comics, but I don't think it would happen anymore.
    I concur. Belkar's ability to win a fight is already dependent on the Giant's desire for a specific outcome in the fight. For something plot relevant to be decided by "Belkar can arbitrarily break the laws of reality sometimes" would be rather jarring at this point, especially since Rich has plenty of other tools at his disposal that don't involve creating problems in the future.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Atomburster View Post

Evidence:
    Really, it's just Belkar being Belkar. He was originally willing to deal with HPoH while there was immediate danger and he was still dealing with the blood loss. Now that he's healed up again, he's taking what chances he can to fight HPoH while Roy isn't looking.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I concur. Belkar's ability to win a fight is already dependent on the Giant's desire for a specific outcome in the fight. For something plot relevant to be decided by "Belkar can arbitrarily break the laws of reality sometimes" would be rather jarring at this point, especially since Rich has plenty of other tools at his disposal that don't involve creating problems in the future.
    Plot relevant 4th wall breaking can still happen (Haley and the diamond is an example), but I don't think it will happen in a relavant moment such a fight-for-life by Belkar. IMO it would be an anticlimax.
    But hey, I'm not the Giant.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Plot relevant 4th wall breaking can still happen (Haley and the diamond is an example), but I don't think it will happen in a relavant moment such a fight-for-life by Belkar. IMO it would be an anticlimax.
    But hey, I'm not the Giant.
    Indeed. I would like to point out though that the Diamond thing didn't actually solve an otherwise insurmountable problem, it just saved them the time it would take V to plane shift a couple times and grab a diamond. As soon as Rich opens that can of worms with Belkar and combat though, every time he doesn't crush his opponent, people will be asking "Why didn't he do X, when he was capable of it before?"
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. I would like to point out though that the Diamond thing didn't actually solve an otherwise insurmountable problem, it just saved them the time it would take V to plane shift a couple times and grab a diamond. As soon as Rich opens that can of worms with Belkar and combat though, every time he doesn't crush his opponent, people will be asking "Why didn't he do X, when he was capable of it before?"
    It also solved a problem that only occurred on the same strip. The lack of diamonds was not a long-term problem that had been plaguing the Order for multiple strips. Durkon had already acquired the required diamonds. The only reason they were stolen was to allow Rich to include the 4th-wall-breaking joke of Haley stealing the diamond from herself, and to provide another situation where V's Ultimate Arcane PowerTM was again unnecessary.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2015-03-16 at 12:04 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, if Belkar could literally "fudge" die rolls, I don't think he'd still be consistently fluffing every. Single. Saving throw.

I'm reasonably sure he's not 'metagaming' in any meaningful way. There are good in-comic reasons why he (alone) knows not to trust the HPoH.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

...and I wouldn't like to see all those worms.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2015-03-16 at 03:51 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Metagaming is perhaps a bit strong a term, but I do think he was always been the most genre-savvy character in the Order Besides Elan.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Coincidentally, there is an answer to this in the comc where Belkar starts that trick: "I thought we weren't actually representing a game camping, we were just living in a world where the laws of_" So yeah, i'm not sure Belkar is able to Metagame if they're not in a game but rather in a world with Laws Of (presumbley) Physics that resemble a game.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pretty sure everything is moving at the speed of plot, at a rate of plot plots per narrative.
    S&P is a comic I draw that's not as popular as this one.