New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC

Qiyana nods enthusiastically. "It seems this meeting was fortuitous, indeed. My name is Qiyana, and I am pleased to meet you. Our journey has not been particularly kind, thus far; you are the only living and sane people we have met." She shakes her head for a moment, eyes unfocused.

"but never mind that. Is there any other way we might be able to provide aid? It's imperative that we reach the surface, but it would not do to leave distress in our wake."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Placing a hand on his chest, Thrar responds, "I am Thrar. Are you the only three here? Or are there others who might need help? This place looks about ready to go."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, and I'm Karsten" he hastily added after the others introduced themselves. "Forgive the lack of pleasantries, it's been a long day."

4. - Top - End - #124

"A demonic attack? A successful one?" Lann frowns, the expression contorting his scaled skin in odd ways. "That is... not good. Chief Sull must be informed."

He turns to his companions, and they communicate for a few moments with a quick series of hand gestures and other sign language. Since Crel seems like he should be able to speak freely despite his mutations you can only assume the secondary language is a concession to Dyra. After a few moments they seem to reach an agreement and Lann turns back to you.

"I should like to invite you to Neatholm, uplanders. It is a safe place where you can rest and regain your strength, and where you may relate your story to Chief Sull. The closest route to the surface lies nearby as well."

He glances over at one of the tunnels leading out of the cavern, which seems to have been blocked by a cave-in. "The most direct route would be through there, but we know an alternate path."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    "A demonic attack? A successful one?" Lann frowns, the expression contorting his scaled skin in odd ways. "That is... not good. Chief Sull must be informed."
    "I should like to invite you to Neatholm, uplanders. It is a safe place where you can rest and regain your strength, and where you may relate your story to Chief Sull. The closest route to the surface lies nearby as well."
    Qiyana nods. "Indeed, it is as my companion says. We are lucky, or... otherwise fortunate to have survived. As little as I recall about the incident, I distinctly remember Terendelev herself looking at me as the ground gave way. Her strength saved us, and we share a desire to have her memory upheld with honor."

Her fierce expression softens slightly as she continues, "We will gladly travel with you to Chief Sull. Perhaps we can help each other recover from the destruction."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We never really discussed the crazy dwarf's loot. My suggestion would be that Thrar takes the cloak- he's most likely to need the saves being all up in it, and all.

I'll add the scrolls to my inventory. I have little use for the potion of fly, holding the scale of levitation, so I'd recommend passing it to Karsten or Thrar as well. The potion of invisibility is perhaps equally useful for all of us, though RAW, perhaps the bonus to stealth would be more significant on our most heavily armored party member. /looksatThraragain

For safekeeping I will document the money on my sheet. I acknowledge that it is not all mine, but I don't want it to be forgotten.

6. - Top - End - #126

Spoiler
    Show
    While I remember - for saving the trapped mutant and making a positive impression, everyone gains 400xp

"Can we really trust these... people?" Horgus interjects, his eyes narrowed suspiciously. "Please tell me I'm not the only one who is concerned about following a pack of mutants back to their lair."

"Horgus..." Anevia says harshly, but the nobleman looks unrepentant.

"What? Look at them! They've clearly been marked by the Abyss. You expect me to just accept that their minds haven't also been twisted?"

Lann glares at him, gritting his mismatched teeth.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

7. - Top - End - #127

Thrar looks back at the man and says, "Nay, lad. You don't have to trust them. You can scuttle back to that abandoned temple, or you can run off by yourself. You can do whatever the bloody hell you want, but we are going to enjoy their hospitality and not offend it." The dwarf's tone is positively scathing.

8. - Top - End - #128

Horgus crosses his arms sullenly, but evidently doesn't like the other options. Lann nods to Thrar.

"My thanks, uplander. Now, follow us, please. Neatholm is not far, but the secondary route is somewhat circuitous."

With that, the three mutants turn and head off, entering one of the tunnels and moving through it with a confidence born of lifelong experience. Anevia and Aravashnial follow along confidently, but Horgus trails at the rear of the group, his distrust obvious.

Having guides familiar with this area makes the trip considerably easier than before, for the mutants - or 'mongrels', as they claim to prefer when Aravashnial asks - are evidently talented scouts well aware of the caves many dangers and secrets. They show you paths around obstructing crevices, point out the warning signs of animal infestations, and demonstrate a means of testing water for suitable drinking quality with the aid of a small alchemically-treated rock.

For perhaps half an hour you follow them to the south-west, before they alter course and begin heading in a more easterly direction.

"We could have turned off earlier." Lann says with a wry twist of his lips. "But that would have taken us through the territory of some rather overgrown spiders. Personally, I'd rather avoid that."

For another twenty minutes your strange group heads east, eventually entering a large circular cavern connected to multiple other tunnels. Most lead down into the depths, but the one to the north slopes upwards and back towards the surface.

In the centre of the cavern lies a strange fleshy mass of green fungus, connected to numerous tendrils that sprawl limply across the ground around it.

"That's a spore-cougher." Lann says with some surprise. "I knew there was one near here, but I was hoping it was off hunting somewhere else. It... looks like something killed it?"

Dyra, unable to speak through the tumours covering her face, taps Lann on the arm and points to something a little bit beyond the dead plant-creature. Two bodies lie there, humans clad in chain shirts of polished metal and scarlet cloaks. They look like Crusaders of Iomedae, but curiously, neither carry the Longswords favoured by that goddess. Instead, their dead hands still grip the hafts of heavy glaives, and spiked gauntlets adorn their hands.

9. - Top - End - #129

Before anyone makes a move, Thrar holds up his hand as he tries to recall anything that his clan might have told him about such a creature.
    Spoiler: Knowledge (Dungeoneering)
    Show
    (1d20+4)[8]

10. - Top - End - #130

Unfortunately, while the teachings of Thrar's clan covered many strange and fearsome creatures that might be found in the depths of the world, this particular creature was not among them.

"Crusaders?" Anevia says with some surprise as she lays eyes on the bodies. "Down here? Did they fall like us, and survive only to perish here?"

"Doubt it." Horgus says bluntly, frowning. "We survived the fall because of Terendelev. Who could have saved them? And I've never seen any servant of Iomedae spurn the sword for a polearm before, especially not ones as ugly as those."

"There have been wanderers like those in the caves before." Lann offers, clearly wishing to move on but willing to at least mount a cursory investigation. "We stay clear of them, typically. The last of my kin who didn't got hacked to pieces. They probably thought he was some hideous monster."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Horgus crosses his arms sullenly, but evidently doesn't like the other options.

"We could have turned off earlier." Lann says with a wry twist of his lips. "But that would have taken us through the territory of some rather overgrown spiders. Personally, I'd rather avoid that."
    Qiyana makes it a point to travel near the back of the motley party. At Lann's comment, she turns slightly to face Horgus. "There are few enough creatures even willing to pretend to be our friends in this hellish hole. If it makes you feel better, I do not completely trust them myself, but what choice do we have? I suspect they could have already led us into any number of traps, were treachery their intent."

As an afterthought, she turns back to him. "Thank you for your help with Mallorn. I am pleased to assist with my talents, but for better or worse, causing pain is not generally among them."

With a wry, awkward smile, she falls back into a comfortable silence.

Show
    Hoping to favorably impress the surly noble. Just a dash of flattery and concession, lavishly garnished with unprejudiced observation, and maybe a bit of circumstantial bonus?
    (1d20+7)[15] diplomacy?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"Doubt it." Horgus says bluntly, frowning. "We survived the fall because of Terendelev. Who could have saved them? And I've never seen any servant of Iomedae spurn the sword for a polearm before, especially not ones as ugly as those."
    Qiyana nods, agreeing with the noble. "Horgus has the right of it. They must have come down here of their own volition, in some capacity."

"There have been wanderers like those in the caves before." Lann offers, clearly wishing to move on but willing to at least mount a cursory investigation. "We stay clear of them, typically. The last of my kin who didn't got hacked to pieces. They probably thought he was some hideous monster."
    Qiyana smiles, assuming the comment to be an attempt at lightening the mood. "Many people are unwilling or unable to spare the second glance, it seems... Sadly, this is the state of things, whether we know better or not."

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post

As an afterthought, she turns back to him. "Thank you for your help with Mallorn. I am pleased to assist with my talents, but for better or worse, causing pain is not generally among them."

With a wry, awkward smile, she falls back into a comfortable silence.

Show
    Hoping to favorably impress the surly noble. Just a dash of flattery and concession, lavishly garnished with unprejudiced observation, and maybe a bit of circumstantial bonus?
    [roll0] diplomacy?
    Horgus seems... if not appeased, then at least a little mollified by the acknowledgement. He still stays near the back of the party as far away from your guides as he can, but at the very least he seems to stop feeling the need to glare at them and mutter disparaging comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Qiyana nods, agreeing with the noble. "Horgus has the right of it. They must have come down here of their own volition, in some capacity."

Qiyana smiles, assuming the comment to be an attempt at lightening the mood. "Many people are unwilling or unable to spare the second glance, it seems... Sadly, this is the state of things, whether we know better or not."
    "I'm going to take a closer look." Anevia says after a moment's thought. "If they came down from the surface deliberately, maybe they have a map."

Limping, she crosses the cavern and approaches the bodies. Your other companions fan out slightly, keeping a wary eye on the surrounding tunnels, but nothing leaps out as the scout kneels awkwardly and begins going through the Crusader's packs.

"Hmm. No maps, it seems. A scroll, what looks to be a potion, and... what's this?"

Carefully, Anevia prys open the hand of one of the crusaders and reveals the small icon he was carrying when he died. It is a small piece of brass-coloured metal, forged to resemble some kind of horned skull with tiny red rubies for eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the record, folks, putting points in Knowledge (Religion) or (Planes) will likely be an excellent investment down the line, when you don't have NPCs to answer things like this.

Horgus turns to look over at the scout, and the moment he lays eyes on the icon his eyes go wide. "Oh, bloody ****ing hell. That's an icon of Baphomet. They're demon worshippers."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Horgus turns to look over at the scout, and the moment he lays eyes on the icon his eyes go wide. "Oh, bloody ****ing hell. That's an icon of Baphomet. They're demon worshippers."
    Qiyana lets out a low whistle. "Well that explains the unorthodox.... ehr... everything about them. Unusual weapons, unusual location, exceptionally unwilling to associate with outsiders..."

She turns to Lann. "What do you know about this part of the caves? Are we likely to run into any more of them, or is this fairly unusual?"

15. - Top - End - #135

Show
    Certainly won't be me. I only get 2 skill points per level, and I'm not sinking them into anything that isn't a class skill.

Since things seem at least immediately safe, Thrar moves forward to the dead bodies and wrenches a glaive from the hands of one of the dead cultists. "Demon worshipers or no, I'll bet their blades will serve just fine." He slings the glaive over his back before returning to the hammer and shield.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll have that other polearm," Karsten muttered grimly. "Somehow I'm suddenly less surprised that the demons' attack was successful. No notes or letters on them? Damn shame."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2015-03-29 at 08:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137

"Cultists?" Anevia makes a disgusted sound and drops the icon back on the corpse, picking herself back up and stepping away. "I'd heard rumours, but this..."

"The Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth." Aravashnial says, sounding almost happy at the discovery. "That's what the cultists of Baphomet call themselves, or at least the ones acting in and around the Worldwound. There was always the suspicion that they'd managed to infiltrate several Crusader groups, but proof is something else entirely."

Lann nods to Qiyana. "I would not expect other encounters until we get to Neatholm. But we have seen these types before. They have some kind of an alliance with another tribe - a bad tribe, one deserving of all the horrible stories uplanders might tell about us."

Horgus seems almost triumphant at this admission that some of the mongrels are indeed monsters, but he manages to avoid outright gloating.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the discovery, and for making it this far, everyone gains an additional 250xp

Forging on, the group takes the northern tunnel and begins ascending towards the upper levels of the caverns. The path levels out on several ocassions, but there is no denying that it draws closer to the surface, and the realization is enough to cheer your companions significantly.

After perhaps fifteen minutes of walking, you come to a small chamber perhaps twenty feet across, cut in half by a stone wall. There is a gate in the centre of the wall, watched over by another pair of mutants armed with long spears. The guards eye your group warily, but a few moments of conversation with Lann is enough to convince them that you should be allowed entry.

Past that gate lies another chamber, this one a truly massive affair some two hundred feet across. In the centre lies an underground lake of cold, dark water, fed by the constant trickle of small streams that wind their way through the rocks. The lake forms a kind of improvised moat, for in the middle of it can be seen an island, and on that island lies a small settlement of perhaps a dozen or so stone buildings. Crude rafts and a selection of boats suffice to carry visitors across the water.

"Welcome to Neatholm." Lann says as you board one of the rafts and begin making your way over. "Chief Sull will want to speak with you, but I need to report to him first. In the mean-time, you should be able to rest and recover. There are shops that will sell you food and drink, and I'll have a word with some of the spirit-callers who can heal your wounds - it's the least we can do for your assistance."

Spoiler
    Show
    And, for making it to Neatholm with all of your NPC allies alive and well, everyone gains a further 300xp. Which judging by Thrar's sheet should knock you above 2000 in total, and therefore earn your second level.

So, feel free to level up. You heal all your hit points for being in a friendly town, and since this is a small group you may roll twice and choose the better result for your new level of hit points.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"Welcome to Neatholm." Lann says as you board one of the rafts and begin making your way over. "Chief Sull will want to speak with you, but I need to report to him first. In the mean-time, you should be able to rest and recover. There are shops that will sell you food and drink, and I'll have a word with some of the spirit-callers who can heal your wounds - it's the least we can do for your assistance."
    Qiyana smiles at the misshapen man as they cross the subterranean moat. "Your hospitality is much appreciated. It's a welcome reprieve from the behavior of most of the denizens of this cavern." She follows his guiding to a place to rest and does just that. For the first time that day (?) her companions catch a glimpse of a large scorpion (about 9 inches long) resting on her shoulder. Qiyana reaches a hand up to scratch its scales idly as she allows her weariness to overcome her.

19. - Top - End - #139

It is obvious that Thrar is uncomfortable in the boat. He keeps glancing around, as if expecting any minute to sink like a stone. "I'll settle for just getting off of this floating wooden deathtrap."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"A secure and well-ordered village, now there's a calming sight if I ever saw one." Karsten smiled for the first time since the catastrophe. Erastil's blessing could reach even down here, he was more sure than ever.

21. - Top - End - #141

The mongrels welcome you to their village, wary of outsiders but evidently willing to accept the judgement of their kin. They provide you with food and space in an otherwise unoccupied building, attend to your wounds with potions and a few minor cantrips from those skilled in such things, and otherwise do what they can to make you feel at ease. Then, once you have had the opportunity to rest for a while, they invite you to meet their leader.

Chief Sull is an old man in a thick robe of grey wool that covers most of his body. His hair is white and falling out in patches, and his skin so wrinkled that it almost looks to be hanging from his bones. Seated on a stone chair in the centre of Neatholm's town hall, he regards you with small and glittering eyes, one of which is little more than a pale white orb.

"Greetings, uplanders." He says after a moment, revealing teeth that belong to a rat more than a man. "First, I should like to thank you for the assistance you provided to my people by rescuing Crel."

"Having said that, I would now ask that you tell me how you came to be in our caves, and what is happening on the surface. Lann mentioned talk of an attack?"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Greetings, uplanders." He says after a moment, revealing teeth that belong to a rat more than a man. "First, I should like to thank you for the assistance you provided to my people by rescuing Crel."

"Having said that, I would now ask that you tell me how you came to be in our caves, and what is happening on the surface. Lann mentioned talk of an attack?"
    Qiyana bows gracefully. "You and yours are welcome for the assistance we have already given. Unfortunately, it is as Lann mentioned. Kenabres, if it remains at all, has been sacked. The demons poured through from the ground in the hundreds. As the streets gave way, Terendelev herself saved us, though I know not the purpose..." She patiently relates what she remembers of the attack, giving Karsten, Thrar, and her other companions opportunities to corroborate her statements, and share their own impressions along the way.

After she exhausts her tale, she looks at the man intently. "As has been mentioned, we are as good as lost in these caves, which are your domain. What would you advise we do from here?"

23. - Top - End - #143

Chief Sull listens carefully to your report, his flabby face growing more and more grave as further details are brought to light and expanded upon. Eventually he sits back and seems to consider the matter at length.

"It has been... many years since my people were forced to flee down into these caves to escape oppression and death. We have no great reason to love the surface world, or the city of Kenabres." He says slowly. "And yet... our parents were the First Crusaders, those who fought and bled in the wars against the demon hosts. When they found their children born twisted by the foul energies of the Wound, they gave up everything they had and everything they knew rather than abandon us. That is a debt that weighs heavily upon our conscience."

He leans forwards, pale eyes intent. "And now you tell me that their cities are under threat, that the cause for which they fought for is in danger, that the enemy which cursed us with our twisted forms stands on the verge of triumph? This will not stand."

Slowly, the old mutant levers himself upright, and around the perimeter of the room you can see other figures gathering. A sense of anticipation begins to build.

"I therefore have a request, uplanders. We can guide you back to the surface, provide equipment and supplies to see you safely through the caves. In return, I would have you convey a message to the leaders of the Crusade, and to any figures of authority that yet survive in Kenabres. Tell them that, if they will have us, my people will return to the surface, and take up swords against the demons. We will protect the cities of our ancestors, and finish the work that they began."

A fire blazing in his milky eyes, Chief Sull looks at you all in turn. "That is the pact that I offer, children of the sunlight realms. What say you?"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

"That is the pact that I offer, children of the sunlight realms. What say you?"
    Aiyana bows again, much deeper than before. "I say that you do us too great an honor, Chief. I say that your people prove beyond doubt that the afflictions of the body have not tainted the minds nor the souls held within. For a people so ravaged by the fel powers of the wound, you show incredible tenacity, to cling to life, and to cling to that which your parents once fought for, in spite of the cruelty you have been shown.

She pauses for just a moment, eyes unfocused and distant. A tear beads on her cheek and she has to swallow before her voice will cooperate again. My parents, too, fought against the powers that seek to overthrow this world, so I know too well the burden of which you speak. As much as it is in my power to accept and affect, you have my word that there will be room by my side for you and your people, in the struggles to come. The leaders above will know of your plight and your honor. I will be happy fight beside you.
    "

She smiles and allows the tears barely held back to ebb freely from her eyes. "They will rue the day they made enemies of us!" she says, eyes bright with fervor.

25. - Top - End - #145

"I am no child of the sun!" Thrar's outburst seems out of place in such an atmosphere. "I am a son of the Stone, born of the deep mountain. I let such remarks slide the first few times, but no more! I am a true dwarf, and I demand that I be recognized as such.

It is well that you speak of debts, for we have one of our own. The dragon who saved us was beheaded by a thrice-damned bastard balor, and I intend to grind my axe sharp for that fight. We will tell them that you are ready to stand beside your kin. Only fools would reject family."
    Where Qiyana is emotional, Thrar maintains a stoic demeanor.

26. - Top - End - #146

Chief Sull looks slightly taken aback by Thrar's outburst, but looks abashed once he realises the reason. "My apologies, master Dwarf. No offense was intended, but I can see how it might be taken all the same. I shall correct my language in the future."

Still, he seems well pleased by your agreement as he seats himself back on his makeshift throne. "Your words give an old man hope for the future. It will take time to gather the other tribes, but I will have messengers sent immediately. I am sure they will agree to this endeavour, for they care about our legacy as surely as I do. With... one exception."

The rat-like man looks slightly uncomfortable as he broaches the new topic. "There is one tribe that does not honour our ancestors - a band of traitors that have taken to worshipping the demons. They are a small band, never more than a dozen strong at best, and previously I had been content to ignore them. Unfortunately, they control the nearest access to the surface."

"I cannot spare enough of my warriors to root them out, for I need to provide guards for my messengers - as you have seen, the tunnels are a dangerous place at the best of time." He explains. "If I send Lann with you as a guide an envoy, would you be willing to dispose of them on your way to the surface? I have a stock of potions I can provide to support you, and you may be able to find clues in their lair to help uncover more of those cultists that have apparently infiltrated the Crusade."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

"If I send Lann with you as a guide an envoy, would you be willing to dispose of them on your way to the surface?"
    Qiyana dries her eyes and regains her composure as Thrar and the Chief discuss the next steps. "I think I speak for all of us when I say that it would be our distinct pleasure to begin our journey by ridding the world of these traitorous bastards."

An unusually hostile tone accompanies the unusually callous words. "Let none withstand this coming crusade!"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

In the presence of a village elder Karsten was more content to listen than to speak, and Qiyana seemed eager to recount the recent events. As he listened, even he was surprised at the fervor in his companions' voices, especially Qiyana. "Thank you for your shelter and aid, Chief Sull. We'll find the traitors and deal with them accordingly, and you have my word that we will relay your message to whatever Crusade authority remains." That aside, he turned to more practical matters. "I have a few questions about these traitors. Can you tell us who leads them? And are any of them marked with unusual strength, toughness, or any other property we should know about?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2015-03-30 at 04:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

"Good. I will have the supplies delivered to you before you depart." Chief Sull says, evidently pleased, before turning to Karsten. "Most are unexceptional by our standards, though they will have skilled hunters among them. Of more concern are these cultists - I recall a detachment of half a dozen was seen to visit not more than three days ago, and the traitor's chief has not been seen since. Though of course, you also found two bodies, so there are likely fewer now. I cannot speak to what they are capable of."

Spoiler
    Show
    So, fighting your way through the traitor's lair to get to the surface is the next section of the adventure. In the meantime, if anyone would like to try buying or selling anything in Neatholme, let me know.

30. - Top - End - #150

"Well then, let's not delay any longer. No point in us stroking our beards while they keep going about whatever demonic business they're up to."