New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World IV

Jehoel kneels down in front of the wolf, but does nothing other than stare.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

The wolf's brown eyes meet Jehoel's blue ones for a brief moment. Then, the wolf apparently gets bored, turns its head to the side and starts pacing away slowly, lowering its head close to the ground and sniffing the wet sand. It looks a bit lost and confused.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Koutarou was notably puzzled by the shift in tone. And his expression betrayed as much. But he wasn't sure whether or not to correct Kaoru on it.

"That tells me you have a certain interest in building things for the benefit of others, as opposed to your own benefit. Would you say that's an accurate assessment?

Are you still with Medlog right now?"
    Up until I was commandeered for this? Yes.

Kaoru finally stands, the papers in more or less the correct order. He had the creeping premonition that Koutarou was about to suggest a division transfer.

Or perhaps the captain-commander would prove even more surprising.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2015-11-07 at 03:22 PM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Elsewhere in Command

As Ayaka Hayama is out on assignment and no-one has bothered to give Lily any new orders, its life has become rather boring. With Koutarou doing his job (finally), it doesn't really have anyone to talk to, as no-one else seems to like or tolerate the presence of the artificial soul. Lily is passing time by reading a book on architechture in the Vice-Commander's office.

Unfortunately, no-one likes nor tolerates presence of the child-like Arrancar either. So now, watching over Nanashi's fragment has fallen on the artificial soul. Lily doesn't really know why it's been allowed to stick around in the Vice-Commander's office for this long. From time to time, Lily glances at the small figure sitting in the corner of the Vice-Commander's office, to check it has not wandered off to do anything stupid.

So far, Nanashi has been content to just greet Shinigami who come to meet Koutarou as they pass through. Apparently, the soldier who is being interviewed right now was the one who let the Arrancar in. What was moving inside his head, Lily wonders?

"... you're not a Shinigami, are you?", the Arrancar finally breaks the silence.

"Oh? What makes you think that?", Lily drones.

"You're the only one dressed in a white labcoat. All the rest wear black."

"So? A Shinigami can change clothes, you know."

"Yeah, but this is military, and military is, like, serious business. So logically, you should be dressed like all the others."

"The one in the interview doesn't really follow the dresscode to the letter either, you must've noticed."

"Yeah, but you still stick out more than he does."

Lily snorts. Nanashi tilts its masked head. "Are you one of those robot bodies that Shinigami place candy in so they can move around and pretend to be people?"

Lily frowns. "Pretend to be people...? Why would you care if I was?"

Nanashi shrugs. "Oh, it's just odd to see your kind here, in Heaven. Shinigami don't need fake bodies to pass as humans here."

Lily returns to its book. "So? What about it?"

Nanashi chuckles. "Well, it means you're up and doing things just because some Shinigami didn't feel like doing it themselves. You really are a robot."

Lily's frown deepens. "So what?", it replies angrily.

Nanashi jumps off its chair. "Well, it means that I, as a paid worker, and technically a Shinigami myself, I guess, am above you in station. I wonder if anyone would notice or care if I knocked that candy right out of you?"

Lily slams its book shut angrily. "For one, that would be rude. Two, you wouldn't be able to do that. I am... my personality is a fixed part of this body. I am a real person, just like any other! I'm not here as a slave, I'm here because I need to. Stop talking of me like I was a slave or some idiot machine."

Nanashi places a finger on its lips... or, well, the skull-like grin of the mask covering its head. It seems to be pondering something. Lily glares at it for a long while, then reopens its book, satisfied of shutting the Arrancar up.

"... it's in your eye, isn't it?"

The whisper is barely audible, but it makes a chill run down its spine. "What are you getting at?", it says with a dry mouth.

Nanashi shrugs innocently. "Oh, nothing, really. Just, tell me... is it the green one, or the blue one?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    "That's... hrmnn..." The creature stands up and dusts off itself. "The only way those walls could not defend your King, is if your King does not live within them. Which raises the question: where does he live?" The creature spins a full circle, arms spread wide. "You speak of a key, but given your whole country has been moved from its foundations, would one be of use to you even if you had it? Where's the keyhole? Has anyone of you actually bothered to check if there is any connection left between you and your royalty?"
    Momoka chuckles and shrugs. "A salient point indeed. We have not had the chance to check. The door is still there, or there would be cause for alarm, I am sure, but the pathway between that and the King's realm may have indeed been misplaced." She doesn't seem terribly worried.

"At any rate, I do apologize, but do you have any other questions? I have a report to give. I do thank you for the stimulating conversation."
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

"What legitimacy, pray tell us, does your superior, your government even have if you cannot contact your King?", the creature asks as it steps over the boundary of tape surrounding it. At the same moment, an alarm goes off.

It isn't really expecting Momoka to spend more time to answer it. On the other hand, it looks like it intents to spend Koutarou's time, so Momoka better hurry to give that report before something dramatic happens to delay her again.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

"Rikujōkōrō." With a single word and flip of her hand, Momoka focuses the six rods of light in on the creature. The kido is... surprisingly strong, for eishōhaki.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

The creature is halted on its tracks. It tries to keep walking for a moment and the rods of light creak worryingly, but then it stops. "You know this won't hold us for long", it states. The unseated soldiers observing from the windows of the building sigh from momentary relief due to Momoka having done their jobs for them.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    Up until I was commandeered for this? Yes.

Kaoru finally stands, the papers in more or less the correct order. He had the creeping premonition that Koutarou was about to suggest a division transfer.

Or perhaps the captain-commander would prove even more surprising.
    "I wonder whose idea that was? It doesn't sound particularly bright.

Kaoru-kun. I have need of a certain kind of study of the Divisions. I want to find out how they communicate with each other, what kind of snags they hit when they need things from each other. Every Captain runs their particular divisions differently, and everyone has different standards - which is all fine and good given their specializations, but we could be losing precious opportunities to grow as a unit because of that.

Suppose you were in charge of that study. How would you conduct it?"
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

"I am not usually in the habit of acting so crassly as to inter a guest without cause, but I should very much like to hear your side of the story. But for a moment, please." Momoka gestures calmly, five orbs of light forming around her clasped hands.

"Walls of iron sand, a priestly pagoda, glowing ironclad fireflies. Standing upright, silent to the end. Bakudo 75: Gochūtekkan." The orbs disappear and form the massive iron pillars of the spell above the creature's head, slamming into it paradoxically gently for such mass. The goal is to bind, not to harm after all. She kneels down to talk to the creature, still smiling calmly.

"Now, why all the fuss? The alarm? And so on. I shall let you go if you answer is satisfactory, but I should like if you don't cause trouble before my report is given. I can call the Commander here, but I would rather wait and see if it's necessary."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

The creature is crushed flat under the iron pillars, them pinning down its limbs and neck. "Do you know the tale of the farmer and the viper?", the snakes on the creature's shoulders hiss at Momoka.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

"Do you mean to bite me?" Momoka responds not out of fear, but her usual half-muted amusement. "Or is there some other message you wish to illustrate? In any case, I would not recommend the former."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, you can reiterate to your superior what we said of the thing he carried on his shoulders : it is not a real child."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I wonder whose idea that was? It doesn't sound particularly bright.

Kaoru-kun. I have need of a certain kind of study of the Divisions. I want to find out how they communicate with each other, what kind of snags they hit when they need things from each other. Every Captain runs their particular divisions differently, and everyone has different standards - which is all fine and good given their specializations, but we could be losing precious opportunities to grow as a unit because of that.

Suppose you were in charge of that study. How would you conduct it?"
    "I'm not even sure, I started with only medlog's papers, and by the time I got here, I had a bit of everything added to them." He distinctly remembered several instances of the phrase "Could you take this for me?" had been involved.

"That's an ambitious project. I would start by trying to get a look at each division from the inside, see the environment they create for themselves, how they relate to the other divisions from their own perspective. Then I'd look at where any problems or conflicts between divisions appear, and try to find the reason."

Show
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

"I think you may be right. It would also require something of a multidisciplinary flexibility, and - ideally, at least - it would have to be conducted by the same person. Someone who doesn't take the pains of one Division over another, don't you agree?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I think you may be right. It would also require something of a multidisciplinary flexibility, and - ideally, at least - it would have to be conducted by the same person. Someone who doesn't take the pains of one Division over another, don't you agree?"
    "I agree."

"You're looking for someone who has the flexibility to do it, and no bias towards particular divisions."
    Ah, so not quite where he thought this conversation had been leading, but similar. "Is this the part where you ask me?"

Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

"This is the part where I test you, Kaoru-kun.

When I was Vice-Commander, I could make the time to personally inspect each Division. Get a feel for it, however superficial. That was my trick to getting ahead with paperwork - I could prioritize based on what I got from each Division.

Ever since I've taken up the post of Commander-General, I feel like the lips have been tighter. People have become afraid of the power I wield, even though I'm the same. As a result, work has fallen behind. And the responsibilities have been taking their toll.

What I want is to discover whether you could possibly glean the same kind of insight I did. I feel that by doing so, I could find the Division that's the best fit for you - both in terms of your career plans and personal happiness.

Your thoughts?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

(Outside Command)

"Hrrrm. I can quite understand why people would be short with me on nonspecific, coy answers. You talk as if I am familiar with this phenomena when I am not. Elaborate?" Momoka does not seem all that bothered, honestly.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

"Don't worry, your superior will know what it means even if you do not. Though we believe you'll find out soon enough."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'd like to think I could do what you did.

I want to meet your standards. I want to meet a lot of expectations, for my career and myself, that's why I've put extra effort into the fields that don't come easily to me."

Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    "I'd like to think I could do what you did.

I want to meet your standards. I want to meet a lot of expectations, for my career and myself, that's why I've put extra effort into the fields that don't come easily to me."
    "Very well then.

Welcome... to your experience trial period."

It sounds hilariously epic the way he says it, I swear!

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Outside Command)

"Very well. Now, onto your position. Why should I let you go?"

Momoka's expression is fairly neutral, for once!
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

The creature on the ground laughs. "Indeed, why should you?"

At this point, a lower ranking officer steps outside and bows at Momoka. "Kobayashi-san. I believe you have urgent business with the commander? Leave this troublemaker to us."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Outside Command)

"Urgent is a manner of perspective. I do not believe it is as urgent as you may believe it is." Nonetheless, Momoka makes a sigh and dismissive flick of the hand, turning to walk away and make her way for the inside of the building, and the commander's office.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

As Momoka gets upstairs and walks through the Vice-Commander's office to get to Koutarou, she is treated to a strange scene. There's a humanoid Hollow, about the size of a 14-year old girl, garbed in black, sitting on the Vice Commander's desk. It's white skull mask is stained with something... green? It's swinging its feet back and forth and whistling innocently.

Nanashi looks at Momoka. "Oh, you here for Uncle Whatever? I think you have to get in a line. He's interviewing the nice guy who let me in." It glances at the door to the Commander's office. "Though I don't think you need to wait for long. I think they're just finishing."

Momoka might notice a pale arm on the floor, sticking from behind the Vice-Commander's desk. There's a growing pool of the same, greenish liquid surrounding it.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    (Command)

Momoka processes the scene around her for a moment and then sighs. "...how very tiresome."

"Sajō Sabaku." Yellow bindings manifest and attempt to constrict around Nanashi. And... this close, the Commander should definitely be able to feel Momoka exerting her energy.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

[Commander-General's Office, sort of]

He does. And he's very much dashing out the door almost as soon as Momoka is done entrapping Nanashi's "piece".

What is curious is that a member of Internal Security is dashing in through the opposite side almost as soon as Koutarou himself crosses the threshold. It's not Setsurou, of that Momoka is fairly certain. For one thing, he wouldn't really need to be in disguise for this.

"Surveillance team, alert the Captain. We're going to need him to apprehend the subject in full." He speaks into a headpiece.

"Kobayashi-san, I need your help with the wounded. MedLog is on its way, but we need to stop the bleeding immediately."

Koutarou knows better than to ask unnecessary questions right now. Instead, he rushes to Lily's side to check her pulse as well as the severity of the wound. He's no doctor, but he has plenty of experience with battlefield first aid - he should be able to help speed the doctors along as soon as they arrive.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Little Nanashi giggles as the binding spell squeezes around it. "That tickles!"

Meanwhile, Koutarou finds Lily's body has technically not sustained any lethal injuries. It is missing its eyes and has leaked a disproportionate amount of transparent green liquid on the floor, but is otherwise intact and the "bleeding" would be trivial to stop. (The "blood" might remind Koutarou of the water in the pool the body was grown in.)

It is, however, completely inert, just like any artificial body would be without an artificial soul to motivate it.

---

[Elsewhere in Seireitei]

Hideki's minions didn't find it prudent to give rest of Nanashi anything important to do. They were just touring the engineering compound until announcing they'd go to eat. Their tour guide had no reason to pay much attention to it, if anything they was relieved when the Hollows stopped asking annoying questions about Seireitei's nobility.

Hence, no-one thought to stop the Hollows as they went on their separate ways. Hideki's camera network is now showing small groups and invidual members of the Nanashi hivemind running every which way. Five are heading for the nearest wall gate, five are headed towards the center of Seireitei, five are circling the city clockwise, another five counterclockwise, five are headed for the mountain where the railgun system is installed, five are headed for SSI's central tower. The rest are unaccounted for, not showing up on Hideki's cameras. Engineering compound's sensors do alert that there have been thirteen attempts to open a Garganta in seven different locations within the last five minutes.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

[Commander-General's office]

"I'm going to give you five seconds to spit that out."

[Somewhere else in Seireitei]

"Yeah, that's cute, Nanashi. But no."

Setsurou just appears out of his usual hiding spot (aka nowhere), already pissed beyond belief.

And then he disappears in a blur of shunpou, seventeen copies of himself blurring into existence around one of the hivemind's individual copies. As he reappears, the kanji for "seal" is probably painted in blood-red across its chest.

"Seventh Painting of Purgatory. Sheath."

Assuming Nanashi doesn't have some hax defense against his power for some reason, he will find his zanpakutou has apparently been forcefully resealed. Which, given that was what gave him the power to split in the first place, ought to be an interesting sight.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2015-12-27 at 08:38 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

[Vice-Commander's office]

The little Nanashi laughs. "Don't be silly, Ishinomori. I chew my food." The bindings around it creak. Odd. It's like something just made it grow in size.

---

[Elsewhere in Seireitei]

The lone fragment turns to face Setsurou, grasping the hilt of its sword. It draws it and slashes at Setsurou's copies, sending forth a wave of destructive red energy. It doesn't notice the cross on its chest before Setsurou stops to make the incantation. It looks down, and then explodes into a red column of light, leaving nothing behind.