New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Psionicless dread PF help!

I have a player who wants to play a dread, but hates the psionic power point system, any advice on replacing the powers with spells, or eliminating them and replacing them with something else?

please PEACH my homebrew
    The Essence Seeker

I am a

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A Chaotic Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-17
    Constitution-13
    Intelligence-19
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-19

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Psionicless dread PF help!

The lovely folks making Akashic Mysteries have a rather fun archetype for that called the Swarm Master

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...shic-Mysteries

I'm running a swarm master right now, and it basically gives you a phantasmal swarm of insects to eat people with and later use for control options.

The system might take a couple read overs, but it's very effective, also fun. There are lots of cool options.

(Swarm of insects is easily reflavored, I'm currently using a cloud of darkness that eats people's fear.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I can second that he is playing this. I am the GM. Beware of things immune to mind affecting, they kind of remove your ability to do...anything.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I can second that he is playing this. I am the GM. Beware of things immune to mind affecting, they kind of remove your ability to do...anything.
    Quite frankly I think the removal of immunity to fear should also remove this certain immunity making it effective against everybody.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feint's End View Post
    Quite frankly I think the removal of immunity to fear should also remove this certain immunity making it effective against everybody.
    We ended up using that as a houserule actually. Your removal of fear immunity only works if they are within 10 feet of you though. On the bright side you get really high dces if you're standing right next to someone.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Depending on start level and access to PoW:Ex playtest (which is assumed if you are using an Akashic Playtest archetype, just sayin'), you can solve immunity to Mind Affecting with a five feat investment.

1) Martial Training 1 (Black Seraph)
    2) Martial Training 2 or Advanced Study to pick up a maneuver (latter is recommended unless you're going to go for the full line eventually)
    3) The three Black Seraph Style feats, the last one of which does what you want.

Comes with a few awesome perks, among which can be an Intimidate Counter to stop an attack (which, on a Dread, if you can't make you aren't trying) plus pushing your aura out to 30 feet. I'm making this build for the Dread guide I'm writing, but having a hard time finding someone to run solo games.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Depending on start level and access to PoW:Ex playtest (which is assumed if you are using an Akashic Playtest archetype, just sayin'), you can solve immunity to Mind Affecting with a five feat investment.

2) Martial Training 2 or Advanced Study to pick up a maneuver (latter is recommended unless you're going to go for the full line eventually)
    3) The three Black Seraph Style feats, the last one of which does what you want.

Comes with a few awesome perks, among which can be an Intimidate Counter to stop an attack (which, on a Dread, if you can't make you aren't trying) plus pushing your aura out to 30 feet. I'm making this build for the Dread guide I'm writing, but having a hard time finding someone to run solo games.
    It's easier to get via martial training V ... sleeping goddess 5th level stance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post

I don't think I have enough free feats for that in the build o.o
    5 feats is a pretty huge investment and by the time I finish with that the swarm will be real xD