New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Lycans and armor

Okay, so assuming that we are dealing with a lycanthrope that is same size in both humanoid and hybrid form, and its armor is magical and succeeds the will save, would the lycan continue to wear the armor in hybrid form? The MM states that armor can not be quickly shunted off during change, and will not be destroyed if makes save, so what will happen to it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Lycans and armor

Lycanthropy uses an alternate form ability, so armor falls to the ground if it doesn't fit, or changes size if the only reason it wouldn't fit is size.
    "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls." ―George Carlin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So long as the humanoid and hybrid form are the same size you shouldn't have a problem even with mundane armor, except perhaps fullplate.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Okay, so assuming that we are dealing with a lycanthrope that is same size in both humanoid and hybrid form, and its armor is magical and succeeds the will save, would the lycan continue to wear the armor in hybrid form? The MM states that armor can not be quickly shunted off during change, and will not be destroyed if makes save, so what will happen to it?
    The 3 sentances regarding changing form and clothes/armor being destroyed, and magical items getting a save to avoid destruction if you're too big were all removed in the MM errata. Clothing and armor no longer are destroyed upon change if you're too big, it simply functions exactly as normal for alternate form: "Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space"

Note that even without the errata, the lycanthrope ruining it's clothing was only for if your form was increasing size during the change, many people seem to miss the "if the new form is larger than the character's natural form"
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

While I CAN understand the errata and its target towards not hurting the wealth of Lycans, the "ripping shirt due to Werecreature transformation" is almost iconic and the "dropped armor" feels terribly table-toppy. I would go as far and say that a fitted armor would cover its job and stay on but a tailored shirt should at least tear if it isn't some sizes too large. That is if I were the DM.
    Last edited by Spore; 2015-03-16 at 05:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    While I CAN understand the errata and its target towards not hurting the wealth of Lycans, the "ripping shirt due to Werecreature transformation" is almost iconic and the "dropped armor" feels terribly table-toppy. I would go as far and say that a fitted armor would cover its job and stay on but a tailored shirt should at least tear if it isn't some sizes too large. That is if I were the DM.
    I think it's safe to say that they were thinking of expensive magical armor when they were doing this, not the classic white tailored shirt. I'd say that they take off what they're wearing instinctively during the transformation, but probably (if they're still wearing light clothes) tear through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.