New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wakfu

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wakfu

Anybody here watch Wakfu? It's a fun little fantasy French show based off of an MMORPG (but having almost nothing to do with the MMORPG, save lore). Much of it is filler, but when it gets good, it gets good. They also released a sequel series (albeit a more childish one) called Dofus (based on another MMORPG set in the same universe as the first one). I recommend that people check out Wakfu.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Wakfu

I played Dofus for a few years, but never got into Wakfu (either the game or the show). Then again the last time I checked (years and years ago) I don't think there was even an english dub/sub.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3

There is now, and you should really check it out. You're probably already familiar with a lot of the lore, but the show adds a lot on as well that I really enjoyed watching.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I have. Its quite the show with some nice surprising moments and some a bit cliche. The series is a lot of fun so far. I have watched the first season and a fourth of the second.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I called it "Defiance* done right".
    *it's a failed sci fi mmo tied in with mediocre tv show.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

6. - Top - End - #6

Daemon

Yeah, it was great. And aged well too. Both seasons and specials (these about Noximilliene and Goultard) are woth chacking out).
    Too bad they're not going to make third season, there was even forshadowing for the next villian in the second season!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Yeah, it was great. And aged well too. Both seasons and specials (these about Noximilliene and Goultard) are woth chacking out).
    Too bad they're not going to make third season, there was even forshadowing for the next villian in the second season!
    They had some OVAs after the second season featuring
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eva and Tristepin/Grovy with kids
    , but those were more about Ogrest. I forgot though -- who was the villain teased at the end of the second season?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I watched the show with subtexts and though it was very well made, Nox was one of the best villains i have ever seen, both terrifying and hauntingly tragic.

And the finaly of season one had some very unforgetable moments.

Spoiler: Season 1
    Show

Most of all the part where Tristepin sacrifices himself to block the final void blast, leaving people in confusion and shock about his death. And then followed by relief and understanding when time is reversed.. and then again a huge shock as its just not quite enough to save Tristepin.
    All in all one of the better emotional roller coasters i have seen in a animated series.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I watched the show with subtexts and though it was very well made, Nox was one of the best villains i have ever seen, both terrifying and hauntingly tragic.

And the finaly of season one had some very unforgetable moments.

Spoiler: Season 1
    Show

Most of all the part where Tristepin sacrifices himself to block the final void blast, leaving people in confusion and shock about his death. And then followed by relief and understanding when time is reversed.. and then again a huge shock as its just not quite enough to save Tristepin.
    All in all one of the better emotional roller coasters i have seen in a animated series.
    That part was crazy for me.

Spoiler
    Show

When all the other characters were crying, I was like, oh, he'll come back very soon. This is a kid's show. Just you wait. And then he didn't, and that's when I really got sad. (Granted, he came back the next season, but not until the third episode.

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    I forgot though -- who was the villain teased at the end of the second season?
    Why, the aquatic empire of course! With prince Adele and his submarine robot army, emerging from the depths of ocean to conquer and pillage. Unluckily for him he chose to emerge in front of army of Shushus so he had to defend himseld, yet it was more than obious he had some evil intent
    EDIT:
    Now I'm watching Goultard-Rushu fight again. Damn, it still is one of the best animated fights I've ever seen.
    And this ending: was Eva pregnant? was Goultard her time traveling son? How did he became god? This show needs a third season.
    Last edited by Cen; 2015-03-18 at 11:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Anybody here watch Wakfu? It's a fun little fantasy French show based off of an MMORPG (but having almost nothing to do with the MMORPG, save lore). Much of it is filler, but when it gets good, it gets good. They also released a sequel series (albeit a more childish one) called Dofus (based on another MMORPG set in the same universe as the first one). I recommend that people check out Wakfu.
    Does it have an English sub/dub yet? Official ones, not fanmade ones.

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Does it have an English sub/dub yet? Official ones, not fanmade ones.
    yes, official dub,

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

yes, official dub,
    Excellent. I was leery of getting into the series because of the lack of subs/dubs, but that was back when it was still entirely in French.

14. - Top - End - #14

Why, the aquatic empire of course! With prince Adele and his submarine robot army, emerging from the depths of ocean to conquer and pillage. Unluckily for him he chose to emerge in front of army of Shushus so he had to defend himseld, yet it was more than obious he had some evil intent
    EDIT:
    Now I'm watching Goultard-Rushu fight again. Damn, it still is one of the best animated fights I've ever seen.
    And this ending: was Eva pregnant? was Goultard her time traveling son? How did he became god? This show needs a third season.
    Oh yeah, the Sifokians or whatever. Hell, they even had ominous music playing when they were explaining their plan to Amalia. It'd be great to see more stuff with them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, Eva was pregnant. Idk if time-traveling Goultard was revealed, but you can see Eva and Grovy's kids in the OVAs. And yeah, we NEED a third season.

yes, official dub,
    The official dub actually made me almost want to quit watching the series entirely. It's terrible. The fansubs are better and don't really change anything, but to each their own.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah.. i have gotten used to watch subbed episodes of manga already, if the language being spoken is Japanese or French then it still dont make a major difference for me.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateCaptain

I see some people in this thread talking about the official sub/dub.

For the love of all that is good, DO NOT USE THE OFFICIAL SUBS OR DUBS!!!! I have seen grown men weep tears of blood and women commit seppuku using only their sheer desire to escape the room in which they have been trapped with THAT! F*****G!! DUB!!!!

Get the fan-sub and pray to whatever foul gods you give offerings to that you never come across that travesty again!

But yeah great show I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

God I adore Wakfu. It's just absolutely lovely. The whole show is absolutely great.

I should probably read all of those Wakfu Mangas sometime in the future.

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

Ha! In Poland we had official dubbing back in 2010! It was horrible, but still...
    There is manga? Is it any good? or is it new material or just TV series in a new format?

19. - Top - End - #19

There are lots of Wakfu comics and manga, all new material. One talks about how Melissa met Kabrok, another is the origin story of Remington and Grany, and there's this other comic series that's actually really mature (sorta violent, especially compared to the show). I forgot the names of most, and I don't know which have been translated. Still, I recommend you give them a look.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Started watching the first season. I have to say, it's really well done for a cartoon supposedly made in Flash. (And the French seems to take a lot of their cues from anime, resulting in this absolutely unique anime-cartoon style hybrid.)

21. - Top - End - #21

IMO Flash-animated shows can go one of two ways. The first is absolutely horrible, and the second is absolutely beautiful.

Also, glad you're liking it! It's always a good thing to induct another into the Church of Wakfu!

22. - Top - End - #22

I've been wanting to watch this for some time, but I'm not so sure now. How bad is the dub on the scale of the third Genocyber to Cowboy Bebop?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I've been wanting to watch this for some time, but I'm not so sure now. How bad is the dub on the scale of the third Genocyber to Cowboy Bebop?
    Much closer to Genocyber than Cowboy Bebop. Everything is perfectly translated, but the VAs are not only bad at voice acting, but they all have terrible voices. Go French. Trust me.

24. - Top - End - #24

Much closer to Genocyber than Cowboy Bebop. Everything is perfectly translated, but the VAs are not only bad at voice acting, but they all have terrible voices. Go French. Trust me.
    OK, so if that's the dub, what's the problem with the official sub?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

25. - Top - End - #25

The main problem with the official subs is that there are none. A team at 4chan made some *amazing* fan subs that are used by everybody who doesn't want to watch the dubs. Being a fansub from 4chan makes some people suspicious, but they're a really good option IMO.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Whoa, I had no idea there were OVAs. I've seen the specials (Goultard, Ogrest, Nox) but I thought that was it. Made my weekend a great deal better!

Although the ending of the last one heavy-handedly sets up a sequel that we probably will never get, and then because I'm not familiar with the lore outside of the show, the whole thing with Ecaflip and the cats was lost on me. What's the deal with the spade and diamond sword guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Whoa, I had no idea there were OVAs. I've seen the specials (Goultard, Ogrest, Nox) but I thought that was it. Made my weekend a great deal better!

Although the ending of the last one heavy-handedly sets up a sequel that we probably will never get, and then because I'm not familiar with the lore outside of the show, the whole thing with Ecaflip and the cats was lost on me. What's the deal with the spade and diamond sword guy?
    I like to think of the OVAs as the moment when Wakfu transcends its original heroic-fantasy-anime-esque roots and delves into a epic about demigods and mythic heroes.

So, it pretty much becomes Exalted.

And I love it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Just finished the two seasons of Wakfu we had.

Not bad. Pacing got weird in the middle of the second season, with a lot of filler episode, and I think the ending suffered quite a bit because of it. (The issue was also apparent in the first season, but at least it was explained away by the map leading them astray.)

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Just finished the two seasons of Wakfu we had.

Not bad. Pacing got weird in the middle of the second season, with a lot of filler episode, and I think the ending suffered quite a bit because of it. (The issue was also apparent in the first season, but at least it was explained away by the map leading them astray.)
    In my opinion, the endings of the seasons are what make the show. All the rest is just buildup. Also, Season Two is generally agreed to be not as good as Season One. I feel like compared to Season One, Season Two had much more filler. I think that the real part in Season One started at around episode 16 or so, while it was more like episode 23 in Season 2.