New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Level 4 summoner sorcerer: Invisibility or summon monster II?

The campaign I'm in has only 4 PCs, and there are a decent number of spellcasters and archers in the encounters. I have sleep, mage armor, and summon monster I right now. Should I get invisibility and spam summon monster I or is mage armor enough for me to survive CR4 encounters and get summon monster II?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Level 4 summoner sorcerer: Invisibility or summon monster II?

I would go Summon Monster,
    At level 4 I wouldn't think many creatures could get past your creatures, just stand back and stay out of charge range, you'll be fine.
    Plus, if you enjoy playing a Summoner, that's what you enjoy more, not staying invisible.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'd get something different. Summon Swarm would be a new attack spell in your preferred theme which will still be fun later on. SM II will become obsolete in a couple of levels.

Is there often terrain which can break line of sight in your game? If so, use it; the advantage of a summoner over a blaster is that you can effectively cast around corners by ordering your summons to move that way.

The problem with casting invisibility then summoning is that it takes too long to get started; first round turn invis, second start casting, third the summons arrives - that's too long for your friends.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Go with Summon Monster and pick up Invisible Spell at level 6. And remember, kids; the best summoners aren't even in the same room as the stuff they summon, through a combination of scrying, illusion and other magicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.