New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Waker's Awakening (IC)

Gertrude

The hunter notices the rustling. She swallows the remainder of her rations, then she whips out her bow and points it towards the bushes. "You're surrounded. Come out or I'll shoot!" She whistles for Gerd to guard her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to shoot the critter in the bushes if it attacks (1d20+8)[9] // (1d8+2)[10]

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

As they walk, Jeanne tries to strike up conversations with several of the others walking near her, the conversations consisting mostly of idle small talk. When the talking is done, she goes quiet, contemplating the terrible fate that has befallen her. All my friends are old. Or dead. Sweet Meraena, please give me a sign, tell me what happened.

~~

As they pause, Jeanne accepts one of Gertrude's rations with a thankful smile when she returns from prayer. "Thank you, lady Gertrude. I have some rations myself, probably enough to feed all of us for one day. Actually, do any of you mind if I drop the "lady"-part? It's a rather unwieldy term in everyday conversation." When Larien postulates her theory, Jeanne nods thoughtfully. "That does make sense, lady Carnesîr. If someone has the power to cast such spells, then surely they must be a famous person..." The cleric goes quiet as she goes over her knowledge of history, trying to remember anything about a famous person who could cast spells like that.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+6)[26]

~~

When Gertrude suddenly gets up and aims her bow at the bushes Jeanne gets up and grabs her glaive, standing up and moving to stand beside Gertrude.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[16]
    Characters in play:

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jarandei

As she downs the last of her mushrooms and forty-year-old rations, Jarandei becomes increasingly uneasy. She has the faint idea that someone is watching them, is about to try to warn the others when the hunter suddenly stands up and points an arrow at a bush several paces away.

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    "You're surrounded. Come out or I'll shoot!"
    Almost before she can figure out what the hunter's saying, Jarandei has her scimitar in hand and has shifted into a fighting stance.

Beast. Pursuer. Passerby? Sorry if you're friendly.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Drawing scimitar. Readying an action to attack if anything comes within reach.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Jeanne
    Show

As far as Jeanne can discern there is no historical or legendary figure, either prominent or obscure, associated with the ability to place other people into a stasis-like sleep. The only remotely related thing she can recall are a handful of apocryphal accounts that reference someone being removed from the world entirely. (Though this more often than not is a metaphorical way of saying they died and thus probably has no actual relation.)

As Gertrude shouts, the bush rustles again, this time a bit more noticeably. A moment later a voice speaks, slightly muffled by the undergrowth and distance.

"Eeeeexcuse me sir! But there is no need for hostilities here!"

The voice's manner of speaking is a bit... strange. The first part of its sentence is very drawn-out, before transitioning into a much more rapid completion. Additionally, many of the words have an almost clipped feeling to them, and the sentences end in an abrupt punctuated emphasis.

"Yooou see! My friend and I happened to notice you enjoying a lovely pick-a-nick there! And we were hoping you might be inclined to share! If you could be persuaded to just leave your vittles there and walk away, then nobody needs to get hurt!"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Gertrude

The hunter laughs in a very mocking tone at the highwayman. Her eyes glance at her bow, then back at the bandit, "We are disinclined to acquiesce to your demand due to the simple fact that you are speaking from a position of weakness. Next time you try to play Bandit, I suggest you arm yourself with something more intimidating than an obtuse accent."
    DMing:

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

A slightly smaller bush next to the first rustles, followed by a second voice speaking up. It and the first voice enter into what they clearly think is a whispered exchange that, nonetheless, is still perfectly audible.

"I don't think they're falling for it..."

"Shushshush! If they refuse, then we'll just have to scare them off!"

"I don't think that's a very good idea... The Ranger isn't gonna like that..."

"Noooot to worry! This plan is foolproof! For you see-"

The larger bush shudders as its occupant begins to climb out of it. In moments, an exceptionally large grizzly bear has emerged wearing... a green hat and necktie...?

Spoiler: The Bear
    Show

"-I'm cleverer than the ordinary ursine!"

7. - Top - End - #127

Jarandei

...okay that was not what I was expecting...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathemagics View Post
    "-I'm cleverer than the ordinary ursine!"
    Jarandei stiffles a laugh and instead assumes her battle face and growls. "And I'm much more dangerous than the ordinary ursine. Get going or ditch the outlandish garb."

Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+11)[24]
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-04-02 at 08:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Gertrude

The hunter is initially shocked by the sight of a talking bear... But that shock withers to disgust when Jarandei mentions the fact that it is a disguise. Silly me, bears don't talk. She returns her focus to the "bear" as she draws her arrow back, "Get out of the costume, you aren't fooling anyone."
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2015-04-02 at 08:38 PM.
    DMing:

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hooow very rude! To make fun of a poor bear's clothes! Why would you do this?!"

The bear makes a heavy growling sort of sound, the type you'd expect a bear to actually make. Actually, ridiculous attire and poorly conceived plans aside, the grizzly in front of you is fairly intimidating in size. If he actually were to try taking a swing at somebody, it might get ugly...

"Look here you! My friend and I are just trying to get by! We don't want any trouble, just lunch! So why don't you be a good little boy and share your food with the hungry bears!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Gertrude

The hunter notes the fact that the bear is probably actually a bear... So this is a thing. She pauses for a moment then asks, "If you really are a bear, why don't you go catch some fish or steal some honey from some bees. We're poor and new to these parts, we don't have enough to share." The woman keeps her bow at the ready, arrow fully drawn. This could get ugly...
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2015-04-03 at 12:24 AM.
    DMing:

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Larien

The elf had stared on as they had come into contact with others. Her silence hadn't been on purpose. Her own eyes had watered over looking on in bewilderment. She rubbed her eyes a bit wiping away the tears of laughter before she couldn't help it anymore. She started to laugh loudly looking on at the sight before her.

"There... there is no way..." She spoke, fragmenting her words between laughs. "...No way something purely that foolhardy can be real. I have never perceived anything so ludicrous before in my existence. Listen, I can reprieve you of acting in such a sophomoric manor. Why don't you venture back from whence you came and scrounge up your own nourishment and ideally some better apparel. Attempting to domineer us will achieve you nullity." She spoke using her silver tongue to lash at the bear as she held back her laughter.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Some intellectual intimidation. Fear the crafty words. ;)
    Intimidate: (1d20+8)[9]
    Peeking back in after a long break.

Avatar by the Awesome Ceika of my character Aisha Silverlight. :)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

Jeanne tries to bear herself seriously as the bear comes bearing down upon them, jumping out of the bush, but very soon it becomes apparent that she can barely contain her laughter. When Larien breaks out in unbearably uncontrollable giggling Jeanne quickly joins her, laughing her teeth bare. Through her tears of laughter she can barely talk. The sheer absurdity of their situation has her barely holding onto her sanity.

"A talking... bear with... a... tie?" She gasps for breath as she talks between bouts of unbearable laughter. "Really? What manner of insanity... is this? Are you... bearing... arms? Or are you... just beary hungry?" Tears roll down her face from laughter.

After several more moments of laughter Jeanne manages to compose herself and addresses the bear. "Apologies, mister bear. Please, bear with me as I explain. We are in a very difficult situation, barely bearing up under the strain. We really need our limited rations so we can continue our journey, bearing west. I bear... Uh... beg of you."

She bears herself solemnly, bringing all her diplomatic skills to bear. "Bearhaps in the future we can share food with you." She looks around. "What about the trees, aren't they bearing fruit?"

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[24]
    Characters in play:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Gertrude

The hunter rolls her eyes as she listens to Jeanne, That was unbearable. Where do they find people like this...!?
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2015-04-03 at 09:54 AM.
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

The bear seems confused. Obviously however it had planned this working out in its head is not the way things are presently going.

"Why is everyone laughing?"

"It's because they don't you seriously Iyog."

"But I am a big and scary bear! Why shouldn't they take me seriously!?"

The bear makes a series of animal grunts, which you presume to be its equivalent of grumbling. Without ceremony, it proceeds to lean back and flop down on its haunches into a sitting position on the grass and makes a sound that is unmistakably a heavy sigh.

"Ya know it's tough, being cleverer than the ordinary ursine! One minute you're just a bear in the woods without a care in the world! And then some druid comes along and puts thinking words in your head! It makes everything very complicated!"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sarrox

Upon Gertrude noticing that there was someoen watching them, Sarrox had scrambled to her feat, dropping a flask of Alchemist's fire into her hand. Upon Iyog's revelation that he was a talking bear, Sarrox had stood slackjawed, unable to comprehend the sheer absurdity of the sight before her. Upon Jeanne bursting into laughter, she had struggled to hold her own back.

Upon Jeanne unleashing a torrent of bear puns, she had given in.

Noticing that the bear had appeared to give up on procuring pick-a-nick baskets from them, and was appearing rather put out, Sarrox decided to step forward.

timeforalittleofmypatented 'diplomacybyconfusion'.

"awww. sorryaboutthat, mr.Iyog. I'msureyou'vebeenthroughalot. butevenso, you'vereallypickedthewrongguys."

"see, we'renotpicnickers. we'rearagtagteamofmisfitswithnothingbutdriedjerky. that'snotsomethingreallyworthnickingoffwith. butthen, I'msuresomeonesmarterthantheaverageursinewouldknow that. sodon'tyouthinkit'dbenicetogooff, maybecatchsomefreshfish, findsomehoney? youmighthavebetterluckrollingaroundinmudandconvinc ingthemyou'rearaincloudorsomething."

Show
    Some of my favorite early memories are of watching VHS tapes of The New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh. (My mother, conversely, remembers when the original shorts first debuted on TV.) I still collect Pooh Christmas ornaments even to this day.

Since Sarrox is using Diplomacy to try and persuade Iyog of something, rather than to gather information, the Student of Philosophy trait kicks in here.

Diplomacy
    : (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-04-03 at 04:52 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

"Maybe you're right... This whole pick-a-nick thing hasn't been working out too good! I guess I could try something else?"

The bear hops back up onto all fours and begins to waddle off back towards the brush. Before it reaches the undergrowth, however, it stops and turns around.

"Ah, and if you guys run into the Ranger, maybe you could not mention this? He'll get on our case for sure!"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Gertrude

The woman does not drop her bow until the bear is finally out of view. With a sigh of relief, she whispers, "Let's hope we don't encounter any more talking animals."
    DMing:

18. - Top - End - #138

Sarrox

"ourlipsaresealed."

Deciding the bears had had enough, Sarrox decided not to press the issue. As Gerturde spoke, Sarrox turned and replied.

"maybe. butsomehow, Idon'tthinktheuniverseisdonemuckingwithusjustyet. afterall, we'reinthefuturenow. whoknowswhatnewfangledstuffthey'vecomeupwithwhilew eslept."

Sarrox paused.

"although, thosepunswereprettyfunny. nicework, Jeanne." Sarrox lightly punched Jeanne in the arm.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-04-03 at 06:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Jarandei

The slayer looks slightly concerned as the bear departs. Talking bears are not something exactly usual, and talking, sentient, hat-wearing bears are even less so.

Then again, maybe things have changed somewhat. Bear's not immediately threatening anyone, so...just this once.

She brushes aside any further thoughts and tries to catch up with the others' conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "although, thosepunswereprettyfunny. nicework, Jeanne."
    Ran lifts a hand in a one-shouldered shrug. "Huh, really? I'm not pawsitive, but I thought they were sorta...you know what, not gonna say it." After a final glance around she sheathes her scimitar. "Now that that's out of the way, what do you say we get our bearings and head on our way? Movopolos should be close now, right?"
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-04-03 at 09:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Sarrox

Sarrox put a gloved hand at the base of her 'beak', as if scratching her chin. "well, we'vebeenwalkingafewhoursnow... Gertrude, yousaiditwas5to6, right? soweshouldbeatleasthalfway."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"According to my map, I would say we are indeed about half way there. Still, we should be on our guard. Who knows what we will see next! A talking scarecrow!? With a mockingly-fed-up tone she proclaims, "Bah, the world has been ruined in our absence!"

The older woman walks over to Jeanne. Gertrude rests her hand on the younger woman's shoulder and says, "Please, call me Gertrude. I've never been one for pretentious, stuck up titles. I was born and raised in a tavern." Her lip quivers slightly as the happy memories of her life before... The sleep... Flood her mind, followed quickly by the realization that it has been forty years... She's missed so much - courtships, weddings, births... She's missed the entire lives of her grandchildren and, knowing her progeny, great-grand kids... Gertrude looks away from the cleric and whisks a tear away from her eye. "We need to head out. I don't trust that bear. He could come back at any moment.."
    DMing:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Larien

Larien watched as the debacle with the bear had ended. A soft laugh escaping her lips as she ran her hand up near her eyes as if to wipe away lingering tears from the entertainment of it all. "Ah... even if the bear were to intrude upon us once more, I have no doubts he would be an easy foe to deal with. Having an understand of the very basics of language does not mean his intellectual prowess would be high enough to pose a threat. I'm more then certain a simple bluff could convince him much to the same result as a clever parent speaking white lies to their child."

She spoke brushing her blonde hair to the side. "None the less, it would still be quite a relief to reach our destination. I could really use a good rest, ideally in a nice cozy bed... although I am sure my optimism will be in vain." She shrugged a bit in response moving forward not seeming to waste much time carrying out.
    Last edited by HanaRei; 2015-04-04 at 06:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "although, thosepunswereprettyfunny. nicework, Jeanne." Sarrox lightly punched Jeanne in the arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rysc View Post
    "Huh, really? I'm not pawsitive, but I thought they were sorta...you know what, not gonna say it."
    The cleric rubs her punched arm and smiles at Sarrox, thanking her before turning to look at Jarandei. "Thanks, Sarrox. Uh... you weren't going to say 'unbearable' were you Jarandei?" A sheepish grin appears on Jeanne's face. "I do apologize, though. That display could've gotten us killed if he'd taken offense. I... just couldn't help myself." She shakes her head, still grinning. "I was barely holding on."

She nods at Gertrude's suggestion to move on. "I agree with Gertrude. We should keep moving before that bear decides to make a pick-a-nick out of us. Whatever it is." She looks at Larien. "You know, lady Carnesîr, if that bear did decide to attack us I doubt we'd all make it out in one piece. He may have been easily fooled, but he's still a bear." Jeanne switches her glaive from her right to her left hand and brushes a lock of hair out of her face. "A bed might be too much to hope for. With a bit of luck we'll make it to our destination before nightfall and we'll at least all have a roof over our heads. Shall we get moving?"
    Characters in play:

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Larien

She looked towards Jeanne giving a bit of a shrug. "It is far easier to manipulate an individual with low intelligence then one completely without. So long as instincts isn't dictating the bear's actions I simply think it would be far easier for us to steer the creature in the correct direction. It is not as if it will be a guaranteed strategy to work upon it. Either way I'd prefer not to handle that laughable situation again. I might end up perishing of laughter before a single paw smashes into my delicate frame."

She shook her head a bit. "A Lady can dream of some luxury at least, even if it is a likely delusion. Either way I am content with getting there swiftly with some sort of shelter we might use... hopefully with a good deal of information so we might piece together our predicament to a more satisfactory bit of understanding. I'd be content just knowing at the very least the time that has passed and what has happened with the world, it makes it far easier to draft a disposition."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Having rested up and dealt with the talking bear, you resume your trek once more. As you travel further westward, the terrain around you becomes progressively more hilly and uneven. While the road itself is still in reasonably good shape, it is harder going than before. Several hours pass in this manner, and it is about mid to late afternoon when you finally spot a milestone of sorts alongside the road. The object appears at first glance to be a lump of scrap metal, until you get closer and see that it's actually something akin to a signpost. A flat sheet of old tin has been fixed to the side of it, and the name "MOVOPOPOLOS" scrawled on its surface in poorly handwritten letters. You can just barely see a path leading off the main road, it's surface largely covered by grass, which leads to the north and around an outcropping of rock.

Following the path around the bend, you suddenly find the ground dropping away sharply down a steep earthen ramp leading down to a wide-mouthed cave. However, across the entrance to the cave, a large wall metal has been constructed, with a single door about 5 feet high in its center being the only visible access point. As you approach, a small port in the wall snaps open, and a goblin mask presses up against the opening from the other side. A high-pitched voice echoes out of the porthole towards you.

"Skooh! Skooh! Be stopping in the forwarding approach strangefolk! This is gobbietown of Movopopolos! No businessdealings for bigwalkers here!"

26. - Top - End - #146

Sarrox

Upon seeing the goblin poke his (her?) head out, Sarrox raised an eyebrow. Goblins were usually friendly to outsiders, so what was up?

She cracked her hands and stepped forward to the front of the group. timeforanotherdoseofdiplomacy.

"ahbutsee, we'renot 'bigwalkers'. we're 'bigwalkers' andagoblin. andwe'renothereonbusiness, either. we'reherebecausewe'rekindofhungry, andwouldverymuchlikeaplacetorest. alsomaybethedateandamap. so, that'sokayright?"

Show
    Since Sarrox is trying to persuade him (her?) to let us in, Student of Philosophy once more applies.

Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[27]

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

The watchgoblin's mask somehow contrives to press closer against the viewing port in an attempt to peer at Sarrox. Half a second later it speaks up again, this time sounding more cheerful.

"Skooh! Skooh! Why wasn't gobbiekin in the saying-so?! Stopgate will be in the openwelcome shortly!"

The viewing port snaps closed again, followed shortly after by a dull echoing thud. A metallic screech rakes across your ears momentarily as the small door slides upward, groaning heavily as it goes. A goblin (presumably the same one) shuffles up to the portal and waves at you, motioning to come inside.

Everyone except for Sarrox has to duck through the low opening. Once inside, you find yourselves in what looks to have once been a natural cave, about 20 feet across and just over 6 feet tall. A number of heavy rubber-insulated wires are nailed to the walls and ceiling attached to some sort of glass bulbs which cast an artificial light on the chamber. Numerous carvings in the walls provide evidence of the goblins' expansion of this natural structure, as does a tunnel at the opposite side of the room. Presumably, it leads further underground to the settlement's central hub.

Once everyone else is inside the watchgoblin shuffles over to a large lever, nearly as big as itself, attached to the thick metal wall. Hopping up, it latches onto the switch and uses its own body weight to flip it downwards, causing the door to slide back into place over the entrance. That completed, the goblin turns back to face your group (particularly Sarrox since she's the other goblin) and waves both arms up and down excitedly.

"Skooh! Gobbiekin and friends are welcomegreeted to Movopopolos! Other gobbie is sent forwardlead to let others learnknow of guests' arrival!"

Spoiler: Sarrox
    Show

Because you are a goblin, you're able to pick up on the very subtle tells which indicate that the watchgoblin speaking to you is male.

28. - Top - End - #148

Sarrox

Sarrox pumped her fist as the watchgoblin let them in. stillgotit.

As he greeted them, Sarrox took a look around, trying not to come off too much like a gaping neophyte. "thanksforthat, mr..."

After letting their host introduce himself, Sarrox continued. "Igottasay, yougobbies'vereallyfixedthisplaceup, fromwhatIheardaboutitlast. what'sbeengoingonherenowadays?"

"also... theothersandIhavebeenoutinthewildforabit, andwekindoflosttrackoftimeoutthere. doyouknowtoday'sdate?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-04-04 at 07:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Jarandei

Jarandei grins as the party is let in. The gateway, if it could be called one, is a tad inconvenient, and the roof, if it could be called that, is also slightly too close for comfort, but it's safe for now.

She almost opens her mouth to ask after the Ordo, but figures better of it. The only reason they're in here is because of the goblin with them, so who knows how the goblins reacted to outsiders. Trying to resist the urge to run her hand along the ceiling, she follows and listens intently as Sarrox tries to discreetly discover the date.

Wait and see...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

The watchgoblin introduces himself as Mimix Switchflip. He seems quite excited at the prospect of visitors and eagerly mentions a few of the settlement's recent accomplishments; he seems particularly proud of something called a "generator", which is somehow being used to provide the artificial lights without the need for fuel in each individual bulb. When Sarrox asks him about the date, however, he pauses. Tilting his head, he somehow manages to convey a blank confused expression even behind his mask.

"Date? Uh... Skull is the datetime of the weekthing this day, yes? Day of Skull?"