New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Is this in-character for Vaarsuvius?

Hello everyone! I'm currently doing an OotS fancomic, and I wanted to see if I had Vaarsuvius in character! Spoiled for length.
    Spoiler: Vaarsuvius's Rant
    Show
    Ah, the capability to completely restore my arcane potency with only eight hours of time is truly magnificent! I eagerly await the ability to take a long rest in what would seem to you non-archmagi as no time at all! Indeed, it truly saddens my heart to reconcile that our present "attack of opportunity," as it were, is only possible through my skill and my master's expertise in magical manipulation and arcane control. Additionally, the rest of you are either meat-shields, skillmonkeys, trapopeners, healbots, or combative psychopaths, all incapable of accomplishing the mighty power I unleash every day. Nonetheless, I brought you along for the simple reason that one thousand and five is larger than one thousand. As if my status as a wizard were not the only benefit I held over you, I also plan on taking levels in Archmage, Darklight Wizard, Incantatrix, Beholder Mage (upon double-casting Polymorph Any Object to turn into a beholder and then another beholder, naturally), or Tainted Scholar (subsequent to becoming a Necropolitan or acquiring the [Evil] subtype to avoid the negative effects of Taint, of course.) Indeed, any one of these prestige classes are capable of defeating all of you combined! Soon, I shall have the Swap Spell, Arcane Thesis, Irresistible Spell, and Miser with Magic feats (through retroactively gaining anti-feats), and then even the mightiest core-rulebook wizards will be as nothing to me! For truly it is said, "Phantasmal Killer is a lethal spell, but all the more lethal if it has no save!" And thus the lethality becomes exponentially increased if it is merely a 4th-level spell and becomes easier to cast the more metamagic is applied, as is achieved through Arcane Thesis! This lethality will become asymptotic to aleph null with the metamagic reduction native to Incantatrix! And it will become asymptotic to aleph one when I regain the spell slot for a trivial Spellcraft check! Despite all this, my loyalty would not be changed! I would still be the mighty Vaarsuvius, master of the arcane, and I would have reached a level of power exceeding even Xykon himself, but the bonds of friendship and camaraderie would yet tie me to this party!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Is this in-character for Vaarsuvius?

I think it could be in-character in the very beginning of the (canon) story of OotS, except for the "openly become Evil part", but, in the present (of the strip), he's overgrown most of that attitude.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matau99 View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm currently doing an OotS fancomic,
    Be very careful with that. I posted a first test panel for my own fanfic and got pretty much only the response "don't continue - copyright violation". On the same reason, the OotS Crack Pairing fanfics have stopped (I suspect, the creators also became insane and could no longer continue their madness ).

More info here, including a quote from the legal section and a Word of Mod.

On topic:
    V has never provided extensive lists of specific class features - not the one V possesses, nor the ones V plans to acquire in the future. Also, V neither and never showed open despise for Roy, Haley or Durkon ("the rest of you [...] meat-shields, skillmonkeys, healbots, [...] all incapable") nor did overly geeky mathematic references ("asymptotic to aleph null") nor was V ever incongruous with own statements ("bonds of friendship and camaraderie would yet tie me to this party" openly contradicts the previous contemptuous statements on her party) - in fact, V speaks in a much more stilted way, generally chooses words more cleverly while showing a more abundant use of adjectives and adverbs than in the measly example provided by you.

In so many words: No, Vaarsuvius rants differently.

Plus, whar D.One said.
    Last edited by Onyavar; 2015-03-20 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typo fixed

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The OotS Crack Pairing fanfics stopped because of the inability or unwillingness of some of the writers to comply with, "Cut the incest or cut it out entirely." Just as a point of something.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Im going to go with "no" as well. Besides the aforementioned lack of consistency with his established character, V usually can recognize when to shut up and lay down the arcane smack. Or at least figure out when he is subconsciously casting Sleep.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”