New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would you date fantasy "demihumans" or sci-fi races

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I'm going to assume that's genuine and take it, gratefully. Other responses to the same post were much more deleterious to my emotional health.
    It was entirely genuine. I may be a cynical piece of work, but I very seldom mock anybody but myself.

You can find it here, actually, in either homebrew or general Roleplaying, I think. Someone posited elves as psychologically alien; they just don't experience life like we do, and physiologically shouldn't do so routinely.

Those who do are the elf version of the high stress, can't live with or without the job CEO types. So this elf lady would probably be interested in you specifically because of her perspective being different; she couldn't enjoy the company of other elves, for the same reason you couldn't. But since she's already in the here and now, and it's stressful, you could be quite an emotional balm to her.

This gets into what qualifies as good in relationships though. I'm against the idea that a relationship is only "worth it" if it's FOREVER. Especially the sentiment that a perfectly happy and fulfilling relationship that lasts fifteen years, and then goes sour in six months, was a waste of fifteen years. That was a good relationship! Not a bad one! Just not permanent. Enjoy, cherish and move on, right?
    I don't think a relationship has to be forever to be worthwhile either. However the amount of comfort I could offer a truly immortal being - even one rooted in the here and now - would be perforce quite short. Like resting one's emotional stability on a relationship with a mayfly, it's just not gonna end well.

It's probably best it end that way, really. It would have been worse if you had kids and made it to the teething stage.
    Ah yes, the years of chewed ankles, and trying to keep the little tyke from hunting squirrels and eating them raw in public. I won't even mention the birthday trip to the zoo...
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Ah yes, the years of chewed ankles, and trying to keep the little tyke from hunting squirrels and eating them raw in public. I won't even mention the birthday trip to the zoo...
    It only gets worse. We decided to broaden his horizons and took him along to a classic ork cultural movie which she thought would be inspiring. The next day at kindergarten, he decided to emulate the hero and crush his enemies, see them driven before him and hear the lamentations of their women.

The next parent-teacher conversation was NOT fun, let me tell you.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    It only gets worse. We decided to broaden his horizons and took him along to a classic ork cultural movie which she thought would be inspiring. The next day at kindergarten, he decided to emulate the hero and crush his enemies, see them driven before him and hear the lamentations of their women.

The next parent-teacher conversation was NOT fun, let me tell you.
    I'm guessing because head salsa is not limited to guys at bowling alleys and once Junior watches mama it's baby see, baby do?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

This thread is absolutely amazing and full of great and hilarious responses. (Also I'm totally stealing Scylla for my next Half-dragon character I make.)

But since I'm posting here, I suppose I should answer the question,

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't date any sort of alien or fantasy species, for the same reasons I can't date a human.

But hey, at least it's only 'pretty sure no' as opposed to 'confirmed no'.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I couldn't date any sort of alien or fantasy species, for the same reasons I can't date a human...
    Local ordinance? Tradition? The smell?

If it's one or two, I say be defiant - if it's the third, I got nothin'.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I don't think I handle confrontation well enough to have a chance with an ogre. "Honey, I'm so proud you only bit off one of the mailman's legs, that's real positive progress.
    Remember, you can't spell "progress" without "ogre".

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing because head salsa is not limited to guys at bowling alleys and once Junior watches mama it's baby see, baby do?
    No, it's because standing victorious on the recumbent form of your defeated foe with a girl clasped to your breast is classed as unsuitable behaviour for pre schooler.

Of course political correctness and cultural sensitivity won't let them outright say that...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    No, it's because standing victorious on the recumbent form of your defeated foe with a girl clasped to your breast is classed as unsuitable behaviour for pre schooler.
    But in a world with no schools, there are no pre-schoolers.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

This thread is absolutely amazing and full of great and hilarious responses. (Also I'm totally stealing Scylla for my next Half-dragon character I make.)
    YOU BE NICE TO SCYLLA SHE DESERVES GOOD FOR WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't date any sort of alien or fantasy species, for the same reasons I can't date a human.

But hey, at least it's only 'pretty sure no' as opposed to 'confirmed no'.
    Okay. So why is that? Asexual leanings?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    But in a world with no schools, there are no pre-schoolers.
    Oh, it's just first world bias, I gotcha.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gritmonger View Post
    Local ordinance? Tradition? The smell?

If it's one or two, I say be defiant - if it's the third, I got nothin'.
    I don't know where I fit in the various categories, but I'm basically asexual.

YOU BE NICE TO SCYLLA SHE DESERVES GOOD FOR WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH

Okay. So why is that? Asexual leanings?
    No. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better with a beginning like that.

Pretty much. The idea of being intimate with a human creeps me out so much. I'm pretty sure that would extend to pretty much any alien race so simple friendship is as deep of a bond that I can handle.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

The question is too unspecific. There are an awful lot of fantastic species with which the only good option is to kill them with fire and then eat their roasted corpse. Whether this doubles as a "date" varies.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know where I fit in the various categories, but I'm basically asexual.

No. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better with a beginning like that.

Pretty much. The idea of being intimate with a human creeps me out so much. I'm pretty sure that would extend to pretty much any alien race so simple friendship is as deep of a bond that I can handle.
    I get the 'No humans bit' but I wouldn't be so sure about writing off levers other species in their entirety. Attraction is so damn odd that way...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #133

I'd so get don with an ogre, demon, daemon, devil, slaadi, goblin, orc, giant, or even an eladrin. This might make me weird. But I'm okay with that. Imagine the potential with a different culture.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll stick to my own species thanks.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

I would date somebody from a fantasy race only under one of three conditions.
    a) That the person is Legolas, or
    b) Tauriel, or
    c) Shub Niggurath.

No, wait, no! What am I saying! Why did I include Shub Niggurath on that list? Especially when there's Nyarlathotep to choose from as well!

Mmm... Nyarlathotep...
    This is the end. Unless, possibly, it isn't.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eonas View Post
    I would date somebody from a fantasy race only under one of three conditions.
    a) That the person is Legolas, or
    b) Tauriel, or
    c) Shub Niggurath.

No, wait, no! What am I saying! Why did I include Shub Niggurath on that list? Especially when there's Nyarlathotep to choose from as well!

Mmm... Nyarlathotep...
    I would choose Sub-Niggurath over Nyarlathotep any day. I cannot trust the Crawling Chaos for a long relationship :P

17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    I would choose Sub-Niggurath over Nyarlathotep any day. I cannot trust the Crawling Chaos for a long relationship :P
    Nyarlathotep is in a stable relationship with some Japanese kid, anyway.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Nyarlathotep is in a stable relationship with some Japanese kid, anyway.
    Now i am strangely jealous....

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know where I fit in the various categories, but I'm basically asexual. ...

You know, in my day, "date" meant perhaps a movie, coffee, dinner, even sharing an ice cream soda.

This thread seems to use "date", "mate" , and "marry" interchangeably.

Anyway, there are plenty of humanoids to chose from that reject intimacy. How about that nice Vulcan over there? Just go on separate vacations when pon farr comes round and you're golden!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #140

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    You know, in my day, "date" meant perhaps a movie, coffee, dinner, even sharing an ice cream soda.

Anyway, there are plenty of humanoids to chose from that reject intimacy. How about that nice Vulcan over there? Just go on separate vacations when pon farr comes round and you're golden!
    I get strange looks and requests for clarification when I say I want a "couple" of anything... and I often reply "How many people would your significant other consider a 'couple?'"

Words do change quite a bit over the years...

21. - Top - End - #141

How about that nice Vulcan over there? Just go on separate vacations when pon farr comes round and you're golden!
    So the one time your Vulcan romantic partner get's hot and bothered you want to LEAVE? how horrible. ;-)
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    The question is too unspecific. There are an awful lot of fantastic species with which the only good option is to kill them with fire and then eat their roasted corpse. Whether this doubles as a "date" varies.
    The question is rather clear, actually, not just despite the lack of specifics, but because of it.

Would you discriminate solely based on human/not human? Yes or no.

Your response means nothing in that light, because frankly I've met humans to which that answer applies.

A date, yes. To date means to go steady with each other under the colloquial assumption that you are both seeking long term English style marriage. Has since my grampa was a wee lad, back in the 20s.

Dating someone means take them on dates, for soda or coffee or theatres, but it also implies the same sociopolitical wrangling for affection and legal union discussed thus far. Because again, not only despite the specific word being one thing and the concept being another, but because of that, we can see the intended pattern of having a relationship which inbo led steady dating rather than the individual disconnected dating acts themselves, which without a timeline are inchoate and actively damaging to understanding.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    I get the 'No humans bit' but I wouldn't be so sure about writing off levers other species in their entirety. Attraction is so damn odd that way...
    As long as one human is involved in the relationship I'm not interested. And unfortunately I happen to be human.

No, if it was just physical, I would have specified as much. I simply do not believe myself capable (or willing) to share in a relationship that is more intimate then friendship. And while I could certainly befriend pretty much any being that wasn't immediately trying to hurt me, the question implies a greater significance in the relationship then just friendship.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

As long as one human is involved in the relationship I'm not interested. And unfortunately I happen to be human.
    Well, there's your problem right there.
    Nope, totally understand that view.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

You're not thinking broadly enough - you just need to find someone (something?) with access to sufficiently advanced magic and/or technology, and this is no longer an issue.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    You're not thinking broadly enough - you just need to find someone (something?) with access to sufficiently advanced magic and/or technology, and this is no longer an issue.
    Not necessarily. I wear human flesh, and it does influence my mind in many unnerving ways, but I'm still not human.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    A shared activity, dinner, and an emotional denouement. Of course it counts as a date.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Not necessarily. I wear human flesh, and it does influence my mind in many unnerving ways, but I'm still not human.
    I think you got it backwards? He was talking about finding some sufficently advanced alien to change your body to something else.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesą!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    I think you got it backwards? He was talking about finding some sufficently advanced alien to change your body to something else.
    Yeah, and I'm saying it doesn't work in the one direction, why should it work in the other?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Yeah, and I'm saying it doesn't work in the one direction, why should it work in the other?
    Ok, I'm confused. I didn't think we were talking about any particular work of fiction, right?
    Where do these rules about shapeshifting come from?
    Last edited by Kalmageddon; 2015-03-28 at 09:57 AM.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesą!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.