New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would you date fantasy "demihumans" or sci-fi races

I've been wearing human bodies for 8000 years. Chiefly due to the lack of availability of any acceptable substitute. Sure I've gone native a bit(okay, a lot), but only enough that I wouldn't really feel comfortable going back. I'm very good at faking human, but I doubt that I'll ever really get there. If it twere to happen, twould have happened many ages ago. At this point I'm just holding out for the opportunity to design my own body in a few decades to centuries.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ok, sorry I misunderstood.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesą!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    Ok, sorry I misunderstood.
    This was the most polite response I've seen outside of outright complicity. Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    This was the most polite response I've seen outside of outright complicity. Thank you.
    It's okay to tell me I'm being crazy, as long as you're nice about it, you know. I know I'm being crazy, it's just not always worth the effort to not be. *shrug*
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Not necessarily. I wear human flesh, and it does influence my mind in many unnerving ways, but I'm still not human.
    Yeah, and I'm saying it doesn't work in the one direction, why should it work in the other?
    Well, if that's all that is bothering you, minds are even more malleable than flesh. Once again, with the appropriately advanced magic and/or technology, I'm sure we could make you...

... change your mind.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

It's okay to tell me I'm being crazy, as long as you're nice about it, you know. I know I'm being crazy, it's just not always worth the effort to not be. *shrug*
    Oh, I didn't mean that in any way against you, not even by degrees. I was just expecting outright hostility. Understanding was a pleasant change. :)
    I may or may not register you as an ancient alien self-incarnating being rather than a human with troubles. >_>"

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Well, if that's all that is bothering you, minds are even more malleable than flesh. Once again, with the appropriately advanced magic and/or technology, I'm sure we could make you...

... change your mind.

Dork~

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Dork~
    And proud of it.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

While we're on the topic of body surfing, does anyone have any Xenogears fan theories to throw around?
    Lawful Good Murder Hobo

My current projects:

Inner Peace: The Mystic

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by NoseFeratu View Post
    While we're on the topic of body surfing, does anyone have any Xenogears fan theories to throw around?
    I think the wackiest Xenogears fan theory I've ever heard is that the game wasn't catastrophically over schedule and budget and that the second disc was actually supposed to be like that....

(There's actually not a lot of room for confabulation in Xenogears given the amount of detail in Perfect Works)

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowscale View Post
    I think we need to ask ourselves if we'd rather date the bitchy "subjectively cute elf" over the extremely kind and interesting orc for "looks reasons" could just be me though.
    I would make friends with the orc. Dating might be a problem just for the superfical reason of 'looks' though...

11. - Top - End - #161

NecromancerGuy

It would make sense as to why Disc 1 was better... Still, my favorite is the one that says that Krelian IS Deus, rather than just a semi-immortal human. It seems to have a few holes, though.
    Lawful Good Murder Hobo

My current projects:

12. - Top - End - #162

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I would make friends with the orc. Dating might be a problem just for the superfical reason of 'looks' though...
    I don't see the problem. Scars are really cute (especially if I inflicted them) and the little fangs are to die for.
    Lawful Good Murder Hobo

My current projects:

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see the problem. Scars are really cute (especially if I inflicted them) and the little fangs are to die for.
    They are green(usually), they have tusks(not little fangs), and their faces generally resemble that of a bulldog that got punched one to many times.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    They are green(usually), they have tusks(not little fangs), and their faces generally resemble that of a bulldog that got punched one to many times.
    Spoiler: Depends on the Orc.
    Show

I'd get hit by that.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

I'd get hit by that.
    lol, there will always be an exception to the rule, but the green skin still would stop me, and that's not even considering the tattoo which is an instant "nope" for me.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground

but the green skin still would stop me,.
    It wouldn't stop Kirk, why let it stop you? :-) Then again... what WOULD stop Kirk? maybe not the best role model there.
    “You know what your problem is, it's that you haven't seen enough movies - all of life's riddles are answered in the movies.” Davis. -Steve Martin- Grand Canyon

Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by themaque View Post
    It wouldn't stop Kirk, why let it stop you? :-) Then again... what WOULD stop Kirk? maybe not the best role model there.
    If you live your life by the motto "What Would Kirk Do?" you'll go places in life. Admittedly you'd better be handy with a double handed hammer punch for some of those places, but y'know. Places.

Quote Originally Posted by NoseFeratu
    It would make sense as to why Disc 1 was better... Still, my favorite is the one that says that Krelian IS Deus, rather than just a semi-immortal human. It seems to have a few holes, though.
    The main hole among them being that he didn't exist before 500 years ago, and narratively the role of the being which guides Deus to reconstruction is Miang not Krelian.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How are you not aware that your fetish isn't widely shared?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #169
    Banned

Scars? Are you kidding me? Scars are hawtness, and that's definitely not a rare fetish.

Tusks, yeah. Different story. Just enough mocking Dominic Deegan art to make me blanch at the thought.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Scars? Are you kidding me? Scars are hawtness, and that's definitely not a rare fetish.

Tusks, yeah. Different story. Just enough mocking Dominic Deegan art to make me blanch at the thought.
    I may be wrong, but I've viewed the term "Fetish" as implying it's not something that is commonly accepted/widely enjoyed, which automatically makes anyone who has a fetish as being in the minority. I think it would be strange/wrong to believe that most of the people on this forum have a fetish, therefore Coidzor saying not many people are going to share that view is technically correct.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned

I may be wrong, but I've viewed the term "Fetish" as implying it's not something that is commonly accepted/widely enjoyed, which automatically makes anyone who has a fetish as being in the minority. I think it would be strange/wrong to believe that most of the people on this forum have a fetish, therefore Coidzor saying not many people are going to share that view is technically correct.
    I avoided saying 'it's not a fetish' mostly for semantic parsimony, but that was the point.

And given what fetish actually means, I think I can guarantee 99% of this forum has one. Because it covers everything from 'I like blondes' to 'my day is just not complete unless I've pumped some iron'.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

I avoided saying 'it's not a fetish' mostly for semantic parsimony, but that was the point.

And given what fetish actually means, I think I can guarantee 99% of this forum has one. Because it covers everything from 'I like blondes' to 'my day is just not complete unless I've pumped some iron'.
    If you want to get technical, yes everyone has a "fetish", but I tend to ascribe a different definition to it, one that I imagine many people do as well, be it consciously or subconsciously, of "A fetish is something that your average person would be a bit disturbed over/think is kinda weird, usually along the lines of feet, really kinky toys, dominatrix style stuff, etc". And I would firmly place "Enjoys the sight/feel of scars" into "fetish" territory.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show

I'd get hit by that.
    Oh wow... i usually like elves or humans as a love interest in fantasy... but well... i can open my mind

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to get technical, yes everyone has a "fetish", but I tend to ascribe a different definition to it, one that I imagine many people do as well, be it consciously or subconsciously, of "A fetish is something that your average person would be a bit disturbed over/think is kinda weird, usually along the lines of feet, really kinky toys, dominatrix style stuff, etc". And I would firmly place "Enjoys the sight/feel of scars" into "fetish" territory.
    It's probably a lot more common than one might think. After all, with 6 billion currently alive people on the planet, and the fact that more people are joining us daily, it is hardly bound to what one may define as rare or unique. In fact, it would be truly hard to even define "rare"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    It's probably a lot more common than one might think. After all, with 6 billion currently alive people on the planet, and the fact that more people are joining us daily, it is hardly bound to what one may define as rare or unique. In fact, it would be truly hard to even define "rare"
    Rare is easy to define: (# of people who are into this)/(total number of people), then compare to the overall distribution of ratios of people into various things to number of people, and there you go.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Banned

That's true. It's colloquial use is different than it's normal use (normal being chosen for lack of other nonloaded terms). This puts me at an impasse though, because this is a neat conversation but I'm not sure it's worth going into? The end result is this use of fetish is, simply, bigotry; "sure we all have our kinks, but those kinks are waaay worse, amirite? Let's ignore our differences and shun those people".

So I'm stuck, do I have a conversation that is very interesting and fun but also a bit controversial or do I just say "cool, that's fine" and walk away? I know you don't really dig those "SJW conversations".

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Oh wow... i usually like elves or humans as a love interest in fantasy... but well... i can open my mind
    Beauty is. Facet of character. What makes this chick so hot is, mostly, the inteligence and focus apparent in her drive.

Also, her hot bod. Yee~haw~

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Rare is easy to define: (# of people who are into this)/(total number of people), then compare to the overall distribution of ratios of people into various things to number of people, and there you go.
    Yeah, but that gives you faulty end data that is then extrapolated as legitimate and end-all. How rare something is or isn't in the entire human population is noise that crowds out the signal. Rarity should be a factor of smaller populations so that it retains relevancy to causal and noncausal factors. So it can be meaningful.

That is, basically, one equation among many that means little without context. Although I admit on reread that is covered implicitly in how you said that, which is my faux pas.

27. - Top - End - #177

NecromancerGuy

Scars aren't a weird fetish at all. Every person I've dated has some, and if they don't, I give some (with permission, of course). It links to s&m in part, but also just something attractive by itself.

Also, what if Orc hair is really soft?
    Lawful Good Murder Hobo

My current projects:

28. - Top - End - #178

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Relative frequency is a lot easier to grasp than you're making it out to be.

Spoiler: For example
    Show
    0.1% of the population of Earth is a large number, but it's still 0.1% of the population.

~7,125,000,000 vs. ~7,125,000; using Google's numbers for 2013.

I'm not going to entertain notions that the majority of the population secretly fantasizes about cutting and scarring their lovers without some reason to believe so other than people coming to the "defense" of someone who had the fact that their fetish is non-ubiquitous pointed out to them when they showed that they don't seem to appreciate that others have different tastes than their own.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2015-03-31 at 02:12 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but that gives you faulty end data that is then extrapolated as legitimate and end-all. How rare something is or isn't in the entire human population is noise that crowds out the signal. Rarity should be a factor of smaller populations so that it retains relevancy to causal and noncausal factors. So it can be meaningful.

That is, basically, one equation among many that means little without context. Although I admit on reread that is covered implicitly in how you said that, which is my faux pas.
    Sure, that's just marginal versus conditional, which basically comes down to what sort of question a person is asking in the first place. Now generally it seems to me that 'is behavior X rare in people' is marginal across all people, in which case I had the correct definition and reference distribution. It's perfectly valid to ask if X is common among geographic, cultural or other subgroup Y, which changes the denominator and therefore shifts the reference distribution to the incidence of behavior conditional on membership in group Y.

The more interesting part is that the conditionals don't tell you much if anything about the marginal,and vice versa. This is a fact that trips people up endlessly.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

30. - Top - End - #180

NecromancerGuy

Scars aren't a weird fetish at all.
    I didn't say anything about the weirdness of it as a fetish.

I pointed out that it's a fetish when you seemed surprised that someone else didn't share your fetish.

Every person I've dated has some, and if they don't, I give some (with permission, of course).
    Your having dated people with scars doesn't really say anything, especially when you're an avowed scar fetishist and have implied you derive some kind of thrill or pleasure from giving your lovers scars.

It links to s&m in part, but also just something attractive by itself.
    To people who like scars, yes, that was never disputed.

Do you have anything to suggest that it goes beyond being a fetish, such that those who don't share your fetish should find scars attractive when they don't?

Also, what if Orc hair is really soft?
    Well, considering that orcs don't actually exist in a way that we could test this, strictly speaking, and effigies of them would be entirely dependent upon the preference and materials available to whoever made such simulacra, we can't say.

If we want to get transhuman about it, then the softness of orc hair would, again, depend upon the people who wanted to become orcmorphs and the people who would design said orcmorphs.
    Homebrew