New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Realms Of Lore - IC

Martin took a short sword gingerly, having never picked up many weapons it felt heavier than he would have expected from its looks, he had no idea how to attach such a thing to his belt.

gonna have to ask mom 'bout this... he mumbled as he scrutinized the scabbard.

Then he looked back up, then around him and sighed a bit louder than he meant. Well wish us luck sir...looks like we're going to need it. With that he bows, and takes his leave after everyone else, intent on giving his family farewells in person.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stein

Well, looked like it'd be futile to do much more here. Stein shrugged, picked up one of the swords and wordlessly departed. Tomorrow morning would've been fine. An hour from now? There was no way he was done with all his chores! But when he returned home, his parents had already prepared a pack for him, with old trinkets grandda had brought with him, a large sword that Stein had never even known they possessed (da said he intended to give it to Stein when he would 'become a man', whatever that meant), and many well-wishes and assurances that everything was going to be OK, and Stein's dad would hire one of Stein's friends (he didn't know he had any) to help out at the farm if need be.

So Stein found himself at the gate, the unfortunate subject of Sam's cheeriness.

"Thor's teats, hardly a 'chance'," he replied sourly. "We're banished to complete some errand Loki might've invented! How are you delighted at this, Sam?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Have to agree wit ya lad, i am not liking gettin tha boot meself, but look at it this way you just might get to see wots on the udder side of them hills. Dargarr pats the Stein on the arm and shoulders his pack ready to get under way.
    A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up.

#OWNYOURLIFE - BANG!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMcShambles View Post
    You have one hour to head out. Anyone caught lingering in the village after that will be arrested."
    Vino mutters a complaint, but gathers up his wineskins and staggers towards the exit. "Um… can any one give me a hand?" he says as he collapses to the floor again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Vino: (a little awkwardly, but still enthusiastic) There will be glory aplenty for you with us, I am sure!
    "I don't need glory, only wine. And lots of it. And maybe someone to lean on."
    Last edited by DragonBones; 2015-03-25 at 03:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Held View Post
    Stein
    "Thor's teats, hardly a 'chance',"
    As you utter those words, beyond the Dwermbreck mountains, you see lightning hurtle down from the blackened night sky and then the inevitable boom of the thunder that follows.

You notice a storm slowly rolling in from the west.
    Last edited by SeanMcShambles; 2015-03-25 at 03:20 PM.
    DM'ing:

Realms Of Lore | IC | OOC | Character Sheets | Battlemap

The Unrelenting Night | IC | OOC | Character Sheets | Battlemap

6. - Top - End - #66

Because the gods have given us a chance to prove our worth! Seventeen years in that town, killing rabbits and deer, and the gods have set this in front of us. It's up to us now! I can prove my own worth and live up to the glory of my blood by nothing but the will of the gods and the strength of my own arm! Hooah!
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-03-25 at 03:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

7. - Top - End - #67

Stein

The farmboy shook his head, and peered west. "Looks like today's going to be the worst day ever," he muttered.

He turned back to the group. "Whatever you want. Who has the map?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

Keagan pursed her lips. One hour? She was a firm believer in tradition, but some traditions deserved to be forgotten. She hurried home and packed her things. She darted around her small home packing her belongings with a practiced efficiency. Everything from rations, to herbs, and even an ink pen and paper went into her well-worn backpack. By the time she was done, her pack was laden and bulging with the paraphernalia of travel. She left a message with the Elders to have someone look after her home while she was gone, then joined the others at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Keagan: (really awkward, but plowing on anyways) a nod and We will do this together, priestess.
    Keagan returned the nod. “With Odin’s blessing,” she said neutrally. It was frightening to think that the fate of Greyridge hung in the hands of this ragtag group of unlikely heroes. Still, Sammu was right about one thing. This was their chance to prove themselves, to everyone, the gods…

Keagan adjusted the pack on her shoulders. “Oakdell’s not far from here,” she said. “Just follow the path south.” She listened to the thunder in the distance. “We should find some shelter for the night.” Since no one else seemed to be taking the first step, Keagan pulled the hood of her cloak up, and set off down the road, heading for shelter that would be near by.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    I’m not sure if Nature or Survival would be most appropriate. Since Keagan is familiar with this area, her knowledge of Nature could work, but I feel like Survival is more appropriate for the action itself. I’ll roll both, to either recall a nearby shelter or find one.

Nature: (1d20+4)[22]

Survival: (1d20+3)[19]
    Last edited by Kyoh; 2015-03-25 at 04:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Sammu's superior woodcraft will also help find shelter!

Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    And by superior, I mean, as long as my rolling abruptly improves. (d20+3)[23]
    Show
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Keagan and Sammu

Heading south-eastwards towards the old bridge that would allow you to cross the Dwermenvein, you decide to find a place to camp for the night as the storm clouds in the west look like they're moving eastwards towards your direction (which you find rather odd).

You have no trouble finding some large outcroppings of rocks and boulders a mile or two outside of town that offers ample shelter from the impending storm. It's a little cosy under the the outcropping's mouth, but you all manage to fit under the shelter of the large stones.

As the winds begin to pick up you begin to wonder whether you'd be able to find more of the same kind of shelter during your two-day journey to Oakdell.
    DM'ing:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Martin quirked an eyebrow at Sammu as she slapped him vigorously on the back and declared her desire to lead everyone to blood and glory.

I can truely do without the blood he says while rubbing a now sore shoulder.If this is the will of the gods, let us hope they are more forgiving than they have been of our predecessors, what with us continuing to fuel an arcane perversion to keep our Greyridge alive...

------

After everyone has squeezed under the rocks Martin rummages through his belt pouch, and then his pack before quipping up with a slight grin. Eh, any of you lot got a flint and tinder? he glances towards Stein and Sammu I'm not one for the outdoors, but maybe one of you two?

(I keep typing Sammy on accident, I may eventually have Martin call her that at some point simply because it's an interesting and consistent slip of the finger for me to be making)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

Keagan stepped in, opened up the tinderbox she had, and quickly got a small fire going. She gave Martin a look that might've said, "Was that so hard?"

She unpacked her bedroll and laid back, using her rolled up cloak as a pillow. Keagan took a few bites of salted meat from her rations as she watched the storm thunder in the near distance.

Spoiler: Nature
    Show
    Going to make a Nature roll to see if there's anything unusual about the storm; that descriptor was ominous :p

(1d20+4)[23]

13. - Top - End - #73

Stein

Stein also followed the duo, not paying much attention himself. When they found the small shelter, he was last to go in. Last, because he wanted to make sure he was as far away from both Keagan and Sam. Realising that that was impossible, Stein settled for being closer to Keagan.

At Martin's request, Stein would've produced his tinderbox, but Keagan beat him to it. "No fire magic?" he asked simply.
    Last edited by Held; 2015-03-26 at 01:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Lizard
    Show
    Lizard is in Martins shirt sleeve

Thanks love he grins and says sarcastically in response to Keagans glare.

Stein
    At Martin's request, Stein would've produced his tinderbox, but Keagan beat him to it. "No fire magic?" he asked simply.

Nope, never needed something like that in the shop...he pauses a moment looking almost thoughtful, But I can do this! he seems a little excited and pulls out a necklace with a crystal set in it. He whispers a few incantations and gestures at each member of the party. Before settling back a bit.

Now, if anything gets within 20 feet of this locations, there will be an alarm. He grins quite satisfied with himself.

Other than that I can lift things, and shoot cold light, but never had to get anyone with it before.

((And yeah it was pretty hard for Martin to strike a fire considering he doesn't have a flint and tinder. Really Keagan get your ears cleaned. ))
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2015-03-26 at 02:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vino sets himself down in the camp. After whistling a short campfire tune, he casts Goodberry.
    "Anybody fancy a snack?"
    He gives the berries to anyone who wants them, but saving one for himself.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alarm spell huh? Hmmph, hopefully it is more observant than that vermin in yer pocket. Dargarr happily accepts the berries from Vino and gulps them down along with some travel jerky, he says Bah could do with a pint to settle me bones, nothin fer it now. Can yer god summon up something a bit more potent than wine? he then rolls out a blanket and settles in laying against his backpack, dozing but keeping an ear out for anything untoward.

#OWNYOURLIFE - BANG!

17. - Top - End - #77

Sammu takes the berry out of politeness and eats it with with some jerky and a swig of water. She is surprised at the way it seems to fill her with energy. That's... quite good, actually.

Fed, she stands up again paces the campsite's perimeter, looking into the night and coming storm for trouble. Um, merchant? The human one? [I assume Martin tells Sammu his name at this point.]This... alarm's pretty good Sammu hesitantly prods the air in front of her but we still need to set a watch, right?
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-03-26 at 10:39 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

(I think everyone has each others names from the Steward, but that doesn't mean we can't forget, it can take me a a long time to be able to remember a persons name IRL)

Martin accepts the berry from Vino a little dubiously and pops it in his mouth, then smiles. Hey this isn't too bad at all foe just a berry

He shrugs at Sammu's question, Martin, and probably, 20 feet is still real close.

19. - Top - End - #79

Alright. Sammu paces back to the fire again. I'll take the first watch. Stein, you good for one? Marten, priestess, uh, dwarf? (Gonna learn names at some point ) Are you good for the other two? (Leaving out Vino deliberately.)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dwarf's got a name half-breed, wake me when its my turn. Dargarr rolls over and tries to get some sleep.

#OWNYOURLIFE - BANG!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vino shrugs and goes to sleep.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoh View Post
    Going to make a Nature roll to see if there's anything unusual about the storm; that descriptor was ominous :p
    Reflecting the ambient light in the night sky, you can see the storm clouds are tall cumulonimbus clouds, dark and heavy.

Asides from the fact that they seems to be moving really fast towards directly towards the east, there doesn't seem to be anything else really odd about the storm.

You assume it formed in the mountains of Dwermbreck, possibly caused by convection due to the changing seasons.

The lightning which was at first intermittent, has now seemed to have stopped as the storm moves closer eastwards.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    Now, if anything gets within 20 feet of this locations, there will be an alarm. He grins quite satisfied with himself.
    A barn owl trying to find shelter flies past the outcropping. Your alarm goes off immediately.

Spoiler: Alarm
    Show
    Is it audible to everyone or just you?
    Last edited by SeanMcShambles; 2015-03-26 at 03:44 PM.
    DM'ing:

23. - Top - End - #83

Well, a twitchy alarm is better than no alarm. You should all get some sleep; a lot of walking ahead tomorrow.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-03-26 at 06:58 PM. Reason: double watches probably better
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Stein

"Sure," Stein replied, frowning. He wasn't too sure about Sam taking first watch all by herself. He didn't at all know the girl's nightly habits, and it seemed hardly appropriate that in a party of six, only one should keep watch first. "Maybe we want watches by duos," he therefore offered.
    Last edited by Held; 2015-03-26 at 07:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Stein
    Timing!

If you like. We should be on different watches, make sure there's a woodsman up at all times. Martin? Take the first watch with me?

Same plan as before:Sammu gets her travelling cloak out and pulls it over her surcoat and head, because there's a storm coming, and puts Arm-Breaker and its scabbard on her belt to be at hand if needed. Then she paces the outside of the campsite (passive perception 11) making sure nothing is out there looking for them. If the alarm goes, quick look around to make sure it's just a small animal; otherwise, feed the fire occasionally, wait, make a little conversation with Martin, and (assuming nothing important happens) wake Stein and Durgarr for their faceful of blinding rain in four hours or so.

If something goes wrong, obviously, yelling and more detailed reaction may ensue.
    Last edited by Zyzzyva; 2015-03-26 at 07:21 PM. Reason: moved watch plan down a post
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Martin frowns to himself as the alarm goes off in short order, but at least it wasn't after everyone had really settled in. He waves it away and nods at Sammu.

Sure thing He takes his staff and joins her, though he struggles to come up with much to say at first.

(his passive perception is also 11)

((I would like to have them converse, but since this may be my last post for several days maybe we can just make it an adventure log/side bit to put on the portal as a collaborative sort of thing. Martin will probably ask her about her interests or orcs, what her favorite food is, cause food is a good thing to know about and I've got it in my mind that Martin can cook and enjoys doing so.))
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2015-03-27 at 01:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dargarr lets out a loud snort as the alarm is triggered, he opens an eye and looks around, seeing nothing dangerous he rolls over and goes back to sleep.

#OWNYOURLIFE - BANG!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

The evening passes rather uneventfully.

The storm moves across the land over the evening and there is a bout of heavy rain during Dargarr's and Keagan's watch.

The storm would have passed completely by the time morning comes around, and you all wake to find that the floor around which you slept is starting to get a little muddy, with the water from last night's rain moving closer towards you.
    DM'ing:

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vino yawns and staggers to his feet, boisterously singing a drunken tune that probably wakes up anyone left asleep. He looks around, eats a berry, takes a swig from his wineskin, and prepares to follow the party.

30. - Top - End - #90

All right, let's get moving, all. Stein, you still have the map?

Sammu packs her gear up, buckles Arm-Breaker to her belt again, and throws her cloak back over her surcoat in preparation for moving out. She chews on a stick of venison jerky while waiting for the party to assemble.
    Show