New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary V: You're Missing Something Wonderful

Murtaugh is a wee bit negative about this. Schlock has a good Point when he says that she will have lost bad memories as well. And for her own Points: If she has forgotten the books she can read them again for the first time. The same goes for many other experiences. But no, lets see the glass as half empty.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Murtaugh is a wee bit negative about this. Schlock has a good Point when he says that she will have lost bad memories as well. And for her own Points: If she has forgotten the books she can read them again for the first time. The same goes for many other experiences. But no, lets see the glass as half empty.
    Eventually she is going to have to realize with the effective immortality that the entire galaxy now has, she will at some point..read and forget more books than her -insert the last generation to die- will have read..
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2015-05-22 at 05:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Come on Murtaugh, Schlock genuinely tried to help you. And if you take your time to think about it you might realize that some things he said are helpful. But yes there is a good reason no one looks for Schlock if they need a shoulder to lean on. Well two reasons if you count the fact that he has no shoulder.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Petey, Petey, Petey, you sneaky little Koala, what is your aim there? I know this is all part of your war with the dark matter entitys. But what do you hope get out of this specifically? I can understand why Breya distrusts him.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

I would guess Petey's medium term goal were to get his own galaxy to calm down and stop fighting, long enough to focus on the more pressing matter at hand and help him.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I would guess Petey's medium term goal were to get his own galaxy to calm down and stop fighting, long enough to focus on the more pressing matter at hand and help him.
    This is actually probably really critical, considering how much bootstrapping is required in infrastructure. We know Petey got most of his via salvage off the Ob'enn and/or the core-war, which means he's mostly utilizing a notable percentage of what the galaxy already had available. If he could leverage a larger portion of galactic PTUs via stabilization and unification of the galaxy, he stands a much better chance of defeating Dark Matter Entities.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

7. - Top - End - #517
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    If he could leverage a larger portion of galactic PTUs via stabilization and unification of the galaxy, he stands a much better chance of defeating Dark Matter Entities.
    I don't think it's quite as simple as that. We know Petey is lacking in power compared to the guys in Andromeda because their galactic core is so much larger than the Milky Way, and they have their own core generator. I don't think the additional power the other races in the galaxy can bring would make much of a difference there, so I don't think that unification is necessarily Petey's goal here.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

It could be less an issue of raw power and more an issue of manufacturing output. Though that doesn't quite work either, as he presumably still has the gatecopy trick from the whatsit wormgate people.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    It could be less an issue of raw power and more an issue of manufacturing output. Though that doesn't quite work either, as he presumably still has the gatecopy trick from the whatsit wormgate people.
    A thought just hit me: why didn't anyone propose using the gate-cloning for PTU production? It seems to be absurdly fast and doesn't seem to have any limitations. Wormgates allow for PTU transport, so it should be possible to clone it at immensly high rates.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    A thought just hit me: why didn't anyone propose using the gate-cloning for PTU production? It seems to be absurdly fast and doesn't seem to have any limitations. Wormgates allow for PTU transport, so it should be possible to clone it at immensly high rates.
    I'm not sure, but maybe it would need to much energy to work and those who are smart enough to suggest it know it. I mean if the Gate builder could have used it this way they would have done it, or not? While transporting PTUs should be roughly a zero-sum game (Ship is turned into energy at entry and energy into ship at exit*) creating copys would need extra energy and I doubt it would be less than for normal production. Was there ever an detailed explanation how gate cloning works?

*Unless I'm completely wrong mass=energy should be more or less (most likely less) right in this situation.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not sure, but maybe it would need to much energy to work and those who are smart enough to suggest it know it. I mean if the Gate builder could have used it this way they would have done it, or not? While transporting PTUs should be roughly a zero-sum game (Ship is turned into energy at entry and energy into ship at exit*) creating copys would need extra energy and I doubt it would be less than for normal production. Was there ever an detailed explanation how gate cloning works?

*Unless I'm completely wrong mass=energy should be more or less (most likely less) right in this situation.
    I know the Buuanthi's 900 million gates used the sun's own mass to build whatever they needed.

Installing 900million gates must take a lot of work, and it only works up to a point.

...hey. Did the super probe Petey designed to be multi cloned had an annie plant?

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I know the Buuanthi's 900 million gates used the sun's own mass to build whatever they needed.

Installing 900million gates must take a lot of work, and it only works up to a point.

...hey. Did the super probe Petey designed to be multi cloned had an annie plant?
    Probably, most things in the setting are powered by annies of some size.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And Bala-Amin Looks like a kid on Christmas-eve as well. I guess I would to if I could work on the Can full of sky. Breyas annoyance makes it even better.

14. - Top - End - #524

BlackDragon

Hey, I probably looked as happy as she did at that last panel--I think Bala-Amin and Sorlie are awesome characters, and them being in the can full of sky means they're likely to hang around!

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think seeing Bala-Amin interact more with the two Tagons, especially the Commodore, should be fun. And I like Sorlie, too.

So, how long before we find out what job the bear gets there? Wait! Did the bear join the Toughs? I think I vaguely remember something like that.

And Bala-Amin Looks like a kid on Christmas-eve as well. I guess I would to if I could work on the Can full of sky.
    But as ambassador, wouldn't her job basically just amount to sitting around and talking to bags of gas? Talking to the Oafans would drive me nuts. I don't understand why she would want the job. I'm glad she is taking it, though.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-05-28 at 02:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    But as ambassador, wouldn't her job basically just amount to sitting around and talking to bags of gas? Talking to the Oafans would drive me nuts. I don't understand why she would want the job. I'm glad she is taking it, though.
    No, no, no her Job would be to sit in her Office for paperwork and to visit the gasbags for diplomatic stuff. Since they life in the park of the spacestation doing her Job would require going there. Besides I think even diplomats get a free day. That could be used for a little walk through the park.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

No, no, no her Job would be to sit in her Office for paperwork and to visit the gasbags for diplomatic stuff. Since they life in the park of the spacestation doing her Job would require going there. Besides I think even diplomats get a free day. That could be used for a little walk through the park.
    They are also expected to get involved in various local cultural events and generaly maintain good relations. Going for a walk around the place and talk with the occasionaly met locals would fit the bill. Organising a party for your friends could still be your job, if you invite the locals as well and it would have the sense of showing them your own culture, which again is one of things expected of an ambassador. Learning about the history and culture of the locals is also duty, so she could freely try to learn whatever interests her in Oafan structures and ships.

It's not always about what you do - it's about how you describe it to your supervisors.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    They are also expected to get involved in various local cultural events and generaly maintain good relations. Going for a walk around the place and talk with the occasionaly met locals would fit the bill. Organising a party for your friends could still be your job, if you invite the locals as well and it would have the sense of showing them your own culture, which again is one of things expected of an ambassador. Learning about the history and culture of the locals is also duty, so she could freely try to learn whatever interests her in Oafan structures and ships.

It's not always about what you do - it's about how you describe it to your supervisors.
    I think the Neofan's cultural events for the forseeable future are going to be mowing the (several million year) overgrown (planet-sized) lawn.

Also, hey, Breya's stealing Petey's thunder.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I think the Neofan's cultural events for the forseeable future are going to be mowing the (several million year) overgrown (planet-sized) lawn.

Also, hey, Breya's stealing Petey's thunder.
    Well, the toughs never DID quite manage to exterminate the dangerous fauna. Not even with the continent-sized fire.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think both Petey and Bala-Amin are very happy that they are not in the same room as Breya right now.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking about it, I wonder if there's any significance to Petey's holoprojection being orange instead of the regular blue. Or has it always been that way of late and it just hasn't stuck out in my brain.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

22. - Top - End - #532

SQUEEEEEEEE

Cutest
    Gun
    Ever

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    SQUEEEEEEEE

Cutest
    Gun
    Ever
    While it is cute, it's a bit creepy also...
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

For once, this nutty AI is NOT the Tough's fault.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have to ask: Is the drone supposed to be „Tenzy”? Because it seems odd that she talks this way to Bala-Amin when she seemed to be quite close to the Captain. Sure she could be joking but still...

Anyway who wouldn't want to have a gun like this? The reactions of the people around you alone would be worth it.

26. - Top - End - #536

I have to ask: Is the drone supposed to be „Tenzy”? Because it seems odd that she talks this way to Bala-Amin when she seemed to be quite close to the Captain. Sure she could be joking but still...

Anyway who wouldn't want to have a gun like this? The reactions of the people around you alone would be worth it.
    Maybe she's just a slut...

27. - Top - End - #537

BlackDragon

Hmmm, yes, I think I can close my eyes and imagine Kaff's childhood now as well.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

I suspect she's offering to build the captain a different sentient-AI gun, not herself.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Hmmm, yes, I think I can close my eyes and imagine Kaff's childhood now as well.
    Yes -- and just ...wow.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Karl isn't even right this time. He would be if Kevyn was a real ship captain, but he's not. They only have him doing that because they only had a few qualified officers. He's still the only resident mad scientist, and he's still the guy in charge of the fabbers. I mean, hasn't that always been one of his top priorities?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?