New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default What is the coolest combo you have ever pulled off in an actual campaign?

im just curious, I bet there are some good one out there.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What is the coolest combo you have ever pulled off in an actual campaign?

Not by me but by my players.

Essentially the situation is that they need to get through an underground tunnel sealed by a oozelike creature that can't move and regenerates wounds. It spawns an almost unlimited amount of oozes and they are being overwhelmed by the spawning oozes (They lost half their party before this encounter and spent the first bit of the encounter trying to fight the oozes and couldn't kill them faster than they spawned).

Seemingly going for a TPK I just kept playing the monsters out, being oozes they weren't that intelligent. The players manage to through a feather tree token and climb up the tree for temporary safety (The oozes were just dissolving the tree and would of cut it down in about 5 minutes) when the tree was almost cut down one of the players summons a boat with a magic item on top of the tree and the tree and the other character manage to hold the boat in place. Then he summons an earth elemental and has the elemental push the tree towards the sealed entrance to the tunnel using the boat as a hammer and they just crush through the barrier tumbling through and escaping the devouring horde of oozes.

It was fairly epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: What is the coolest combo you have ever pulled off in an actual campaign?

It's nothing too spectacular, really. A Rogue with Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF, Craven feat, the Crippling Strike Rogue special ability, and the Savvy Rogue feat. The enemy had Heavy Fortification armor, which would normally make them 100% immune to sneak attack damage. Instead, they took about 68% of the normal sneak attack damage plus all the Crippling Strike bonus (2 points of STR damage) on every hit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Well, first of all, what do you mean by "combo"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I once tied a halfling to a rope and used it as an improvised weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

My players are really getting the hang of the whole "D&D" thing:

They had to fight a boss battle against a flying Sorcerer and his minions, but they've taken care of the minions. The Sorcerer is spamming Suggestions to get the party to betray each other, and it's working moderately well.

The Cleric casts Zone of Truth, preventing the Sorcerer from making up random BS for his Suggestions, and forcing him to fall back. Sorcerer responds by using Darknes and attacking for real.

Duskblade uses Spellcraft to determine that since the Sorcerer used Unholy Blight and that the blast came from the ground, he must be on the ground. She charges and clips his wings with a crit. (We use a deck of cards with random effects in case of crits).

Meanwhile, the Warlock doesn't want to fire blindly into Darkness, especially knowing that there's an ally in there. He just starts rolling Intimidate checks against the Sorcerer, and rolls 30's both times. Needless to say, the boss is ****ting himself by now. He would have surrendered, had he not have a spell that would have blown up the room. Still, it was great thinking by them.
    Last edited by Brendanicus; 2015-03-23 at 06:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

There was a timetravel portion in one of my games, where the players went back 1000 years into the past. One of the players who was a demon seduced the leader of an island of amazonian barbarians by pretending to be their god. The gods had recently died, but at this point in time it was supposed to be a big secret, so nobody on the material plane was aware at the time. This allowed the player to pose as their (admittedly minor) deity without immediately being smited by her, and in turn gain the fealty of an entire (rather large) island of man hating women. He then went and comissioned the biggest soul catching crystal he could find, hid it on the island and set it to collect all souls of people with his blood (of course, what did he do but spread his seed so that eventually everyone on the island was somehow related to him). Then 1000 years later, collected the souls and gave them to his demon lord. Due to the way the story had developed, he was her only follower, and they had fallen in love, so in order for them to be together, she gave all the souls in the gem to him, which, at 10xp per soul, immediately bumped him up to epic levels and they became a duo of demon lords. He would have continued the game as a minor aspect of himself, essentially at the same power he was before, but sadly the game had to stop because people moved away.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

I have mentioned this one before somewhere defending the use of the rule of cool, but it applies none the less.

A halfling gets swallowed whole by an anaconda (I was the halfling). I was fully intending on slashing my way out of its stomach vanilla style. Instead our cleric, attempts to get the anaconda to bite at him - and succeeds in doing so. The player asks the DM if he would allow the bite to get his arm in the snake's mouth. One reflex check later, and the anaconda is on its way to eating its second player.

The dwarven cleric then casts create water. Boom. Exploding anaconda.

We still talk about that story some ten-odd years later.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

A few stories from Living Greyhawk back in the day.

1. As a player--a bunch of some charisma draining variant dread wraiths popped up around our party and started making us all ugly and unpersonable. I happened to be playing an eldritch Knight at the time. Drop the holy wounding guisarme, quickdraw my undead bane, ghost touch longsword (with greater magic weapon on it of course), use arcane strike to sacrifice a 7th level spell slot, 5' step to line up all the wraiths, cast whirling blade with full power attack and follow up with quickened whirling blade. No more dread wraiths.

2. As a DM, the players were attacking an underground orc city and made their way to the leaders who they were planning to assassinate. The orc fighter won initiative and charged using leap attack to power his power attack (tanking his AC rather than his attack bonus), Improved Sunder to attack the fighter's weapon, combat brute to cleave into the fighter after destroying the weapon, lands a crit thanks to improved crit, and drops the fighter past -10. If I'd remembered that he had Elusive Target as well, he could have assigned his dodge bonus to fighter #2 and avoided taking Power Attack Damage--and thus survived until the next round.

3. Facing a shadow dire bat in the darkness, my halfling (the party's fighter with a number of other levels and Improved Grapple) got enlarged and bull's strengthed, then proceeded to grapple the bat (sure, she had to pass the 50% miss chance, but once it's grappled, we know where it is) and killed the bat through grappling.
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2015-03-23 at 10:17 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I once had a player kill an Eldritch Giant with Otto's Irresistible Dance and Grease.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

We killed a bunch of ogres (4 or 5) at 2nd level with two Burning Hands. The DM had said we were in the mountains with great danger for avalanches. We identified a weak point, secured us around a peak and let loose, burying the ogres.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    I once had a player kill an Eldritch Giant with Otto's Irresistible Dance and Grease.
    This needs more explaining. Hahaha.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I myself managed to suplex a Wyvern into the ground from 300-600 feet up and release the grapple and get caught by a gravity elemental at the last second. My party got angry that I did something that dumb without telling them.
    Last edited by IZ42; 2015-03-23 at 11:37 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Immunity to damage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Was playing a War Weaver. Loaded Polymorph and Fly into the same Quiescent Weave. 'Nuff said.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Dropped stinking cloud and black tentacles on a caster once. Nauseated took away her standard actions. And without standard actions its impossible to make an attempt to escape a grapple. We sat back and waited for her to be slowly crushed to death.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Dungeoncrasher + Blockade spell. Let's just say that levels 2 through 10 were a walk in the park.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I am going to attempt to disarm an Expanded Tiefling Psychic Warrior of his greatsword using a frying pan as soon as my PbP campaign gets updated (hopefully within the next 30 minutes). I don't have the improved disarm feat.

Standby for the results.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

As DM: My players were tracking a shaman through the forest and found his cabin. While all the other players are getting ready, the paladin (evil variant) told his kobold servant to hold his torch. He then proceeded to throw the kobold through the window, lighting the cabin on fire. It collapsed, killing the shaman. He calmly began looting as the others stood dumb founded.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    This needs more explaining. Hahaha.
    I'm a little fuzzy on the details, this happened years ago.

There was a large mass combat going on that involved multiple elements, including airship combat. The bard was on one of the airships that was dropping boulders and the like from very high up onto the enemy portion of the battlefield. One of the enemy commanders, an Eldritch Giant, teleports up onto the ship in an effort to simply use his weight to bring the ship down. Bard slaps him with Otto's Irresistable Dance (to the dismay of the ship's crew), follows up with a Grease spell, and the next thing the giant knows, he's plummeting to the battlefield, high-stepping it the whole way down (Otto's allows you to do nothing but dance for the duration, so no teleporting, spell casting, etc.).

He didn't survive the fall.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2015-03-23 at 05:42 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Bonus points if he squished some baddies

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kinda an awesome combo, kinda the stars aligning.

Spells Righteous Might+Iron Body(from a Legacy Weapon)+Air Walk=Clerical Meteor

So I'll to try to give some context without relating an Epic. We had a Flying ship, enemy flying ship attacks us and kicks us off killing most of our crew. Takes 3 years to get our shot at revenge. We steal our ship back out of the dock, other ship is on us fast. We had a plan though. Like the first time, they fly over the top of us and rope down to our ship. We say ok, and Fly/Air Walk/Get carried up to their Ship while the are on their way down. So I drop off two of my party and keep walking up, then cast Iron body, increasing my weight by a factor of eight, which was already greatly increased because of growing to large size. So while my party is chain lightning their crew, throwing entire necklace of fireballs down their cargo hatches, and turning in giant blob monsters and melting through their deck, I was charging down from the sky on high, leapt, praised Thor and called for his blessing (the DM Rolled 100%) and slammed my my now Huge (sizing) Warhammer into the ship with full weight behind it (power attack all base attack) and crashed down like a meteor to specifically cause as much damage as I could, regardless what would happen to me. I broke ship from deck to keel. The DM said he thought we would win a hard fought rematch against these guys as an epic book end to this leg of the Adventure, but instead we, "Put a stake through it, pinning it to their coffins."
    Last edited by Hellborn_Blight; 2015-03-23 at 07:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

2nd edition so it doesn't really apply in this forum, but in a Dark Sun campaign we propped a staff of the magi against the doors of Ur Draxa, had our 25 str half giant throw his hammer of thunderbolts at it, accelerated by Megakinesis from our psion in order to instigate a retributive strike and blow the gates down before marching in to tackle the Dragon of Tyr

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

This one is my current 100% favorite

25. - Top - End - #25

GnomePirate

I once used Control Object to kill a group of goblins with their own dinner. It was kind of funny to see a steak stand up from the plate and one-shot the one attempting to eat it.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Dungeoncrasher + Blockade spell. Let's just say that levels 2 through 10 were a walk in the park.
    I'll see your Dungeoncrasher + Blockade and raise you:
    Spoiler: Whisper Gnome Overcoat
    Show

One player (rogue) and I (fighter) used this combo quite effectively. He would use activate an eternal wand. I would charge/crush.
    Last edited by Deox; 2015-03-24 at 04:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like that you can predict the future. Why, you must be some sort of wizard.

27. - Top - End - #27

So it turns out Duskblades are over powered.

We are a party of 5, all level 4 characters, all human, and there is a Duskblade (me), a battle sorcerer, a beguiler, a paladin and a barbarian. The Sorcerer also hired a 3rd level cleric for touch of healing, and will cast other things for extra.

Well we wander into a tomb to stop the BBEG and in a side chamber (which we totally wernt supposed to go into but hey, knock is great!) we find a mummy on a throne with a cool magic sword (the world is incapable of making magic items and has been for 2000 years. So far we have found 2 magic items, this was a great sword and I wanted it).

Well a couple of heal checks and knowledge checks reveal that this is a CR11 monster with at least one save or die attack. Totally above us, not a hope we are tackling it. Its there so we know its there and can come back later. Its also not taking any interest in us. Its asleep or whatever.

The party begins to leave. There are more chambers to check and we have already been through a zombie troll thing, spectral dogs we were supposed to run from and a host of lesser undead. We were running low on spells (I channelled 2 on the troll thing, and hadnt done anything else with spells since then). I hang back, looking longingly at the sword. It has 2 magic auras on it. The last magic sword we got brought its wielder back from the dead and increases his turn abilities by a stupid amount (he has one level of cleric, he is the paladin). His was "faintly" magical. This was "strongly" magical. The party is almost to the door when the cleric, who also hung back, mutters "60 gp for a bull strength". The guy playing the sorcerer, and thus playing the cleric follower, meant it as a joke.

I should pause and tell you about my build. 16 str, 16 int, 14 dex and 13 con. I wield a guisarme. I can channel a 4th level shocking grasp. I have power attack and I know truestrike. I wear a breastplate. I also have knowledge devotion and have my knowledge religion maxed for my level. I also have combat reflexes but thats not important here.

"Done!" I call out to the table, scratch 60gp off my sheet before they can complain, get bull strength, get true strike, get +3 from knowledge devotion and with my party running in 12 second (double move, it was a long room) slow motion, that CR 11 monster gets a powerstrike 4 two handed weapon to the face rolling max damage, empowered with now 20 str (that x1.5!) and 4d6 lightning damage. The ****er lost half his health. I kid you not, every dice rolled max.

His turn, he gets up, tries to smack me with sword, misses. The cleric turns him, but fails, the paladin arrives and turns him with his empowered turn, fails, the sorcerer arrives, tries to stab him with a spear, misses, the beguiler tries to be a bard and cheer us on, and the barbarian (who is a grappler) hangs back because he heard my assessment of this ****ers nasty touch abilities. Total damage dealt to anyone that wasnt done by me that round? 0.

Round two. Im not power attacking if I cant truestrike. I have 2 spells left and the BBEG is still there, but I am feeling good. Channel another spell, roll a natural 20 (**** you undead!) still powered by KD, BS and apparently lust for an ancient super sword. The guy explodes. No, really, I took him into negative hitpoints from double figures. The party was furious, the DM was furious, I was pissing myself with glee.

I get a sword I have no idea how to use, the party cheered up when they got a magic crown they dont know how to use, the cleric got paid (and now knows never offer me spells as a joke, or even for real, unless he wants to die) and much fun was had.

I love my duskblade.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I once had a TN Warblade who dual-wielded vorpal Bastard Swords.

Not optimized, but bear with-

He once faced an entire army of goblins that were about to massacre a city. He challenged their leader, a Hobgoblin Warblade around his level, to one on one combat. He then proceeded to kill the Hobgoblin, and roll intimidate on the entire goblin army.

With max ranks and a huge circumstance bonus, he led the townsfolk to attack them as they retreated, and from the sides, and the town was safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bard slaps him with Otto's Irresistable Dance (to the dismay of the ship's crew), follows up with a Grease spell, and the next thing the giant knows, he's plummeting to the battlefield, high-stepping it the whole way down (Otto's allows you to do nothing but dance for the duration, so no teleporting, spell casting, etc.).

I'm sharing that with my D&D group. That's amazing haha.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

I was grappling a white dragon, put a fist into each nostril and began doing constrict damage on it's face. then decided to activate ring of retribution from inside the dragon's face (10d6 internal fireball on a fire vulnerable creature ) and turned it's head into a smoking hole