New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Is it possible that the Order of the Stick might convert to 5th Edition?

Now, I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't really had the will in order to really ask but everyone's thoughts on this. Some analysis:
    -It's been implied by places such as "the pit of monsters from previous editions" that the webcomic has converted between editions before.
    -4th Edition could very well be an exception (can someone dig up that bonus comic in Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales and give me opinions?)
    -The comic has converted between half-editions
    -Recurring characyers such as those things with the eye sockets as well as Varsuuviu's barred spell list confirms that these things are still in continiuity.
    ...Of course, this could just be the major difference between early OOTS and later OOTS speaking. And it's not like the same thing probably hasn't been suggested for 4th Edition. Again, thoughts are appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is it possible that the Order of the Stick might convert to 5th Edition?

Not going to happen. There will probably be the odd joke about 5e concepts, but everything about editions is from the early (pre 100) comic, which was kinda a different place.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Is it possible that the Order of the Stick might convert to 5th Edition?

It's not going to happen. Maybe some elements from 5e will be incorporated into the comic at one or two points, maybe. But Rich tends to play fast and loose even with the 3.5e rules depending on whatever is most convenient for the narrative.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #4

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Not going to happen. There will probably be the odd joke about 5e concepts, but everything about editions is from the early (pre 100) comic, which was kinda a different place.
    Actually, not even pre-100. The whole "monsters from earlier editions" thing started far after that, nearly 5 years after the comic was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    It's not going to happen. Maybe some elements from 5e will be incorporated into the comic at one or two points, maybe. But Rich tends to play fast and loose even with the 3.5e rules depending on whatever is most convenient for the narrative.
    OK. Worth noting was that I was expecting this kind of reaction from at least a few people, if not most of them. It's just an interesting concept. This is not one of those threads where impossible ideas are beaten to death and back.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by GM_3826 View Post
    Actually, not even pre-100. The whole "monsters from earlier editions" thing started far after that, nearly 5 years after the comic was made.

OK. Worth noting was that I was expecting this kind of reaction from at least a few people, if not most of them. It's just an interesting concept. This is not one of those threads where impossible ideas are beaten to death and back.
    Worth noting is that this idea has been beaten to death and back since 4th was announced or at least a month before it was released since rich wrote a news update then saying he wont convert the comic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Now, I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't really had the will in order to really ask but everyone's thoughts on this.
    Well, here's the authoritative answer:

Quote Originally Posted by GitP News Post for 1/12/2012
    So, Wizards of the Coast announced on Monday that they are working on a new edition of D&D which will almost certainly not be titled "5th Edition," but is functionally 5th Edition. (Actually, I guess it's really like 9th or 10th Edition, if you count the original boxed set and the "basic" line and 3.5 and Essentials and...) And almost immediately, I started getting emails asking me whether I was going to switch the OOTS story to this new edition when it comes out. Just so I can get ahead of this thing and not be dodging this question for a year and a half like I did when 4th Edition was announced: No, I won't.

The reason I can say that with confidence is that my decision has nothing to do with the content of that still-unwritten ruleset. Everything I said about my decision not to make a wholesale switch to 4th Edition still stands: It would be an enormous amount of exposition for very little benefit, and it would likely change some of the characters in ways that would be difficult to reconcile with the story I've been planning. Further, this story is now three and a half years closer to its conclusion than it was when 4E was released, and it will be yet another year and a half before these new rules are widely available. The halfway point of OOTS is in the rearview mirror, and at a certain point, it just becomes an issue of not changing horses midstream (or at the very least, dancing with who brought you).

Plus I barely even reference the 3.5 rules anymore, using them just to determine what sort of spells or class abilities a character might have and then ignoring them the rest of the time. I'm certainly not looking to drive this narrative backwards to a point where I'm more chained to a ruleset over which I have no control. No, as an author, I'm more interested in deciding what happens in my world than I am in ceding that power to others.

Of course, the issue of whether or not I use any new rules in the comic is wholly separate from the issue of whether or not I use any new rules at the gaming table. If anything, I am encouraged by a lot of the language in the press release. Trying to bring gamers together again after the divisions of the last few years is a worthy goal, one I hope they can accomplish (but is fraught with certain pitfalls). Listening to their fans is probably a good start, though if I've learned anything here on my site, it's that there are always fans who have diametrically opposed views from each other. Their best bet would be to forge some sort of consensus on what all D&D must be, and then build a simple well-designed game that allows that core experience but can then be seasoned to taste by each gaming group. What they shouldn't do is attempt to craft One Game to Rule Them All in the hopes of co-opting/exterminating all previous editions. Because if you make that game, and the fans throw it in the volcano anyway, where do you go next?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No. Absolutely not. It didn't convert to 4th and it certainly will not come to 5th. Source: The Banana.

Peelee’s Lotsey

8. - Top - End - #8

That said: fun thought, what would the SS&DT-style fight be like? Probably pretty embarrassing, actually, given that 5e is a lot like 3.5e only with, you know, bounded accuracy. So yeah.

Also, the Giant's call on what 5e would be like was pretty on-target.
    Show
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

Alright, thank you for answering.

...How do we close this thread?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

...How do we close this thread?
    We start derailing it until the mods close it for being off topic, same as all threads.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    We start derailing it until the mods close it for being off topic, same as all threads.
    does a silly run to hide in the corner, away from pointed sticks.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Well, here's the authoritative answer:
    Spoiler: The Giant himself
    Show
    whether I was going to switch the OOTS story to this new edition when it comes out. Just so I can get ahead of this thing and not be dodging this question for a year and a half like I did when 4th Edition was announced: No, I won't.
    Makes me wonder only one thing... Will he eventually convert to 6th edition?

*runs*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    That said: fun thought, what would the SS&DT-style fight be like? Probably pretty embarrassing, actually, given that 5e is a lot like 3.5e only with, you know, bounded accuracy.
    Yeah, there was a discussion a while back speculating on what a hypothetical "Invaders from the Fifth Dimension" story would look like, and the general conclusion was that there wouldn't be much of a point to it since 5e doesn't have the same drastic difference in design philosophy from 3.5e that the original story ran off of.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

14. - Top - End - #14

The pit of outdated monsters was introduced in #55, which is pretty definitely pre-100.

15. - Top - End - #15

GreenSorcererElf

...Huh...?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Yeah, by the time the comic was five years in, Azure City was occupied and Roy was dead and the party was splintered. So definitely had moved somewhat beyond the monster pit in Dorukan's Dungeon.

17. - Top - End - #17

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by kivzirrum View Post
    Yeah, by the time the comic was five years in, Azure City was occupied and Roy was dead and the party was splintered. So definitely had moved somewhat beyond the monster pit in Dorukan's Dungeon.
    I meant about. Somewhere around 2004-2005.
    ...But either way, my memory fails me.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How do we close this thread?
    We stop posting and it "starves to death"...
    Last edited by D.One; 2015-03-25 at 11:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Yeah, there was a discussion a while back speculating on what a hypothetical "Invaders from the Fifth Dimension" story would look like, and the general conclusion was that there wouldn't be much of a point to it since 5e doesn't have the same drastic difference in design philosophy from 3.5e that the original story ran off of.
    That's cool, but I couldn't find it with the search tools... do you have a link?
    Show