1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Looking for webcomic marketing advice

Hey everyone :) I've been working on my webcomic The Meddlers for a few months and I'm ready to market it but I'm having some issues. I have no idea how to make a banner or rather what to put on it other than the title. I've told individuals (friends) about the comic but only a tiny percentage of them even checks it out, and they don't seem to read any other page, so I'm also worried it's low quality, even though I was pretty proud of it before I put it up online.

I'm hoping there are fellow webcomic creators around here who could help me with the marketing aspect. I already know I want to make a banner and put it in my signature on webcomic forums (such as this one) but I don't know where to begin I guess.
    It's been suggested I change the header/logo to add the update schedule (right now, only once a week on Wednesdays) so I think I'll work on the updated logo but if nobody checks out the page in the first place, whether they come back regularly or not isn't really a concern.

I'll take every advice you have to give (preferably advice related to marketing webcomics, though :P)

Thanks a lot. I'm sure it's a subject that comes up often so I'm sorry to be "that guy" and just ask a common question, but when looking at banner-making I've only found websites that list things such as the size of the banner and not really what to put on it. Quotes? Characters? If so, how many before it's crowded? An actual scene? And the "call to action", what is that supposed to be? Just a "click here" or "read now"? That sounds obnoxious.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for webcomic marketing advice

Right now there's not much there to market. Art style is pretty nice and distinctive, but the characters (outside of the cast page) are almost nothing beyond names and bodies yet. Neither the world nor the story are really fleshed out either. Nothing interesting has happened beyond a very simplistic "deus ex random" beginning. "Some kids get yet unidentified powers for literally no reason" is a reasonable start, but there is *no* conflict or tension or reason to come back tomorrow in the whole thing. Yet.

After a few more pages, once the comic can be identified by a "that's the one where" sentence, and there is something to remember about it, will be time for marketing or ads. Then, you take that distinctiveness and make it your ad.

You also want people's first impression of your comic to have more than 10 previous pages to back it up, to allow for them to investigate further, if the interest strikes them, rather than be kept waiting. Archive length will also establish credibility that you will continue to produce content.

The beginning is the hardest part.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for webcomic marketing advice

Thanks! You're probably right. I'm being too impatient and nothing has really happened yet. Once it does, there will be something to market. Thanks for the advice, I'll just keep working on the comic for now.