New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let the gender in games be moved here PLZ

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I find it exceptionally badass.
    And you are allowed to - there is no hard and fast definition and even if there were we could argue over the definitions of the words that form that definition.

However for my Elan got his badass moment when he defeated Kubota, or when he defeated Nale after getting the Dashing Swordman level.

Haley has a few as well as documented by others above, as do all the other characters.

Haley grabbing Crystal and flying up and dropping her in the Ocean? - Yea badass, likely awesome.
    Talking her down and turning her on Bozzok? - Awesome, not badass.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

On the subject of the most awe-inspiring, personal-victory-through-uniquely-personal-means moment of the Characters:

Roy: Defeating Thog through Knowledge: Architecture
    Vaarsuvius: Defeating the Ancient Black Dragon
    Elan: Swooping in to save Haley at the last moment (someone was Damsel'ed there)
    Durkon: Still forthcoming
    Belkar: I'M A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR! + saving Haley (what again?) + Riding a goddamned dinosaur into battle!
    Haley: Diverting Crystal through reason and shiny objects

Of these, I'm not sure why Haley's victory is eliciting so many comments, and what's too incredible about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    On the subject of the most awe-inspiring, personal-victory-through-uniquely-personal-means moment of the Characters:

Roy: Defeating Thog through Knowledge: Architecture
    Vaarsuvius: Defeating the Ancient Black Dragon
    Elan: Swooping in to save Haley at the last moment (someone was Damsel'ed there)
    Durkon: Still forthcoming
    Belkar: I'M A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR! + saving Haley (what again?) + Riding a goddamned dinosaur into battle!
    Haley: Diverting Crystal through reason and shiny objects

Of these, I'm not sure why Haley's victory is eliciting so many comments, and what's too incredible about it.
    Okay so
    my personal reasons for loving this victory very much

1. I've wanted Haley to be friends instead of enemies with one of her only two female peers we know of from Crystal's very first introduction, especially given how dumb a reason for their rivalry was (and playing on freaking awful gender stereotypes and expectations)
    2. This strip has been built up to over an extended period of time, creating tension and excitement. It even had steampunk gnome police force, for hell's sake!
    3. Haley hadn't really gotten a prolonged, epically built-up-to moment of personal triumph like this before. She got offhand acknowledgement of her supreme badassery and scattered moments of brief on-screen awesome, and also several instances of being damsel'd.
    4. I, personally, as a (mostly potential) DnD and general videogame player, find non-combat skills and their uses to save your ass in ways other than "hit it in the face until it falls down", really freaking awesome.
    5. I love it when characters display bravery. Not just badassery, like when Belkar was mowing down hobgoblins in hundreds, but bravery. When the character is up against someone above their level, and still persists and protects others. V got a moment like this in Xykon's tower, and it remains just about my favorite sequence of all this comic. Roy got a moment like this on the arena. Durkon can be said to have gotten a moment like this in the dungeon, although him actually losing made it sad more than awesome. Nobody else in the party has, as far as I remember.
    And Haley got her moment of _bravery_, of going against a known more powerful opponent and distracting it and leading away from civilians, and trusting into her abilities and Crystal's remaining personality over hatred... she got it now and she got it there. I had my breath baited when she stopped and turned to Crystal, and when Crystal stopped too...

This was freaking awesome.
    Last edited by Liliet; 2015-04-04 at 04:37 PM.
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    Durkon can be said to have gotten a moment like this in the dungeon, although him actually losing made it sad more than awesome. Nobody else in the party has, as far as I remember.
    Durkon kind of won. I mean, yes, obviously, he was turned into a vampire (and I think we're slowly going towards a big Durkon success related to that) but it fits very well with his personality to sacrifice to save the others. And he did. He did make Malack promise to leave the others alone, and as a result, Malack said nothing when he noticed the Order in the corner (right next to the gate). I find it significant, even if it's not "badass" in a showy way.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Durkon kind of won. I mean, yes, obviously, he was turned into a vampire (and I think we're slowly going towards a big Durkon success related to that) but it fits very well with his personality to sacrifice to save the others. And he did. He did make Malack promise to leave the others alone, and as a result, Malack said nothing when he noticed the Order in the corner (right next to the gate). I find it significant, even if it's not "badass" in a showy way.
    True. It was a built-up intense sequence too, with a week of daily updates, if I remember correctly.

This was such an event for Haley, and I find it freaking awesome.
    And anyone who said that when confronted with an objectively stronger opponent the best Haley can do is just hope her party members arrive on time... *rolls eyes so hard they nearly pop out of the sockets*
    Last edited by Liliet; 2015-04-04 at 06:20 PM.
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

6. - Top - End - #186

BlueWizardGirl

I agree heartily with both Reddish Mage and Lillit's analysis. This is Haley's first big multi-strip arc of her taking on a personal enemy and defeating them without someone else showing up to help, while most of the other characters have had one. I was expecting that Roy would have to show up to help Haley - not because he's male, but because Crysal's build seemed tailored to not be vulnerable to anything other than "hit it a lot with something sharp and heavy", and Roy's the party member best equipped to do that. I like that Haley was able to use her own skills to find a more innovative way to 'defeat' Crystal.

Although with regard to Haley being "damseled", I think she's rescued Elan more times than she's been rescued by anyone else, and there have also been clear subversions, for example, here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0722.html.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2015-04-04 at 08:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Am .. am I being lectured on how to sound human by a pony? How is this even ...?

Ah, well. If the meatbags mistake me for human then I guess it's not really a problem.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    Considering you appear to be a blank white square, yes, I'd say a pony is closer to human than that.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Considering you appear to be a blank white square, yes, I'd say a pony is closer to human than that.
    He's a set of (chinese?) characters, although you can only see that if you open-in-new-tab or similar.

Possibly you might want to invest in a lower-resolution avatar, Pendell.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    He's a set of (chinese?) characters, although you can only see that if you open-in-new-tab or similar.

That's a single character: 礼

But a smaller image would seem to be in order, yeah.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    Okay so
    my personal reasons for loving this victory very much

1. I've wanted Haley to be friends instead of enemies with one of her only two female peers we know of from Crystal's very first introduction, especially given how dumb a reason for their rivalry was (and playing on freaking awful gender stereotypes and expectations)
    2. This strip has been built up to over an extended period of time, creating tension and excitement. It even had steampunk gnome police force, for hell's sake!
    3. Haley hadn't really gotten a prolonged, epically built-up-to moment of personal triumph like this before. She got offhand acknowledgement of her supreme badassery and scattered moments of brief on-screen awesome, and also several instances of being damsel'd.
    4. I, personally, as a (mostly potential) DnD and general videogame player, find non-combat skills and their uses to save your ass in ways other than "hit it in the face until it falls down", really freaking awesome.
    5. I love it when characters display bravery. Not just badassery, like when Belkar was mowing down hobgoblins in hundreds, but bravery. When the character is up against someone above their level, and still persists and protects others. V got a moment like this in Xykon's tower, and it remains just about my favorite sequence of all this comic. Roy got a moment like this on the arena. Durkon can be said to have gotten a moment like this in the dungeon, although him actually losing made it sad more than awesome. Nobody else in the party has, as far as I remember.
    And Haley got her moment of _bravery_, of going against a known more powerful opponent and distracting it and leading away from civilians, and trusting into her abilities and Crystal's remaining personality over hatred... she got it now and she got it there. I had my breath baited when she stopped and turned to Crystal, and when Crystal stopped too...

This was freaking awesome.
    Yes! All of these! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wanted to see a Haley and Crystal team-up.

Everyone go home, Liliet won the thread.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Japanese Kanji. Imageshack has been giving me grief and I will probably be switching to a new avatar at some point.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

12. - Top - End - #192

Japanese Kanji. Imageshack has been giving me grief and I will probably be switching to a new avatar at some point.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Gif of Aretha Franklin, maybe?
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

13. - Top - End - #193

Gif of Aretha Franklin, maybe?
    LOL. Nice.

Also, the term "Japanese Kanji" as a differentiation from "Chinese" characters is humorous, given that the word "kanji" literally means "Chinese character".

漢字
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2015-04-06 at 08:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    I think its time for Pendell to pick a pony avatar.

Friendship is verisimilitude Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar