New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Draconic missing character

I was looking into draconic writing to bring something extra into the campaign, but I noticed the number 0 was not defined in the official draconic romanization chart (draconomicon: chromatic dragons, page 24). They just show A-Z, 1-9, so I'm guessing they forgot 0.

How would one represent 0 in draconic? Did they ever publish an errata?
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-03-31 at 12:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Draconic missing character

Quote Originally Posted by Temennigru View Post
    I was looking into draconic writing to bring something extra into the campaign, but I noticed the number 0 was not defined in the official draconic romanization chart (draconomicon: chromatic dragons, page 24). They just show A-Z, 1-9, so I'm guessing they forgot 0.

Maybe dragons don't have a concept of zero. It isn't entirely intuitive and to a species focused on possession the concept of nothing might seem too horrible to contemplate, let alone give a simple name to.

Really though, if it's not in that book you should feel free to make it up. Avoiding using it in your game might be an interesting challenge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A stack of 0 objects sounds kinda silly. You would rather say that there is no stack/object, and wouldn't need a symbol for the number 0. The actual uses of 0 outside of mathematics are kinda limited, and you should be able to avoid them easily.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

How would I write multiples of 10 then?
    Last edited by Temennigru; 2015-03-31 at 01:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

'Two tens' for 20, 'three hundreds' for 300?
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-03-31 at 01:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    'Two tens' for 20, 'three hundreds' for 300?
    There is no 10. Only 1-9

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

So dragons cannot do good maths, so what?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    So dragons cannot do good maths, so what?
    The language is incomplete. INCOMPLEEEEEEEEEEEETE

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Either that, or they use tallies, or really any number of ways to count that don't use zero.

Seriously. We've had zero for so long that we can scarcely imagine a math system without it, but the truth is that zero is something we came up with, and there were people and math and counting before there was zero.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2015-03-31 at 04:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Either that, or they use tallies, or really any number of ways to count that don't use zero.

Seriously. We've had zero for so long that we can scarcely imagine a math system without it, but the truth is that zero is something we came up with, and there were people and math and counting before there was zero.
    That is, until people figured out you could count to 10

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe they don't have a decimal system. We also use sometimes the octal/hexadecimal systems...
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

One of the possibilities for 0 is this

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't know about an errata, but this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Dr...con/117680.jpg is on the Wizards site :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tysha View Post
    I don't know about an errata, but this: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Dr...con/117680.jpg is on the Wizards site :)
    Merci beaucoup!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

That is, until people figured out you could count to 10
    You mean the 9-1, the Second one after nine? What a weird way of counting! Why don't you simply say one nine and a one? or One-Nina-One? I can share my way of counting with you! 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 1-9-1, 1-9-2, 1-9-3, 1-9-4, 1-9-5....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Maybe not even that. Just tallies or bones or something.

The 0 in 10 is just a representation of ten. You could easily write X (Roman numeral) or \\\\\\\\\\ (ten tallies) to show ten.

If you need to write 'ten' in the draconic language, go letter by letter. T-E-N!

I like the idea of a language not having a certain number, if only to make the players wonder 'why are we still missing a zero?' :P
    Last edited by goto124; 2015-03-31 at 05:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Merci beaucoup!
    You're welcome. First time I've joined a forum just to post a little helpful draconic! :D

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tysha View Post
    Darn, I was kind of liking the idea of dragons not having a zero because of their psychology.

They could've used a base-9 numbering system. Which, incidentally, counts like:
    ...8, 9, 11, 12, 13...19, 21, 22

Would've been a great way to trick players translating a draconic script. "It says to push the 35th brick." But in a base-9 system, 35 = 38 in base-10.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

Imagining math without a neutral element (whether additive or multiplicative) is not that easy. The erratum debunked that theory, but it could also be that dragons always write null/zero/squat/etc. if they mean the additive neutral element.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As for representation of larger numbers, another way would be multiplying:
    10 = "2-5"
    100 = "4-5-5" or "2-2-5-5"

Now, I know that there are a lot of problems with that approach - notably, prime numbers and non-uniqueness. But aren't dragons supposed to have a lot of int? Maybe that's why...

And imagine the joy of your players when they try to decipher draconic numbers

EDIT: In fact, simply identifying a number with its prime factorization might be enough for a number system feeling completely alien. And yes, that means that dragons need to memorize a lot of symbols for their digits or resort to cheating via addition.
    Last edited by Surpriser; 2015-03-31 at 11:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maglubiyet View Post
    Darn, I was kind of liking the idea of dragons not having a zero because of their psychology.

They could've used a base-9 numbering system. Which, incidentally, counts like:
    ...8, 9, 11, 12, 13...19, 21, 22

Would've been a great way to trick players translating a draconic script. "It says to push the 35th brick." But in a base-9 system, 35 = 38 in base-10.
    But why would they come up with Base 9? We use base 10 because we have 10 fingers (or at least that's the general understanding). What reason would dragons have for picking 9?

Also, I think you mixed up your conversion. Base-9 38 = Base-10 35, not the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Surpriser View Post
    EDIT: In fact, simply identifying a number with its prime factorization might be enough for a number system feeling completely alien. And yes, that means that dragons need to memorize a lot of symbols for their digits or resort to cheating via addition.
    So counting from 1 to 10: 1, 2, 3, 2-2, 5, 2-3, 7, 2-2-2, 3-3, 2-5
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2015-03-31 at 11:23 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

How would I write multiples of 10 then?
    You could still have 10 even without a 0 — OK you probably still need a symbol, but you could substitute letters.

Consider our calendar: The years 10 AD etc. exist, but there is no year 0, 1 AD follows from 1 BC
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

23. - Top - End - #23

SwashbucklerGuy

If I recall correctly, some ancient cultures ended up with a base-12 counting system because they counted the joints of the fingers rather than the fingers on the hand. Or base-14 if they went for the thumb, too.

It's not that base-10 is the universal system that definitely has to happen. It's that we live in a world that IS base-10, so it kinda strains our brain to imagine something different being possible. We could have just as easily ended up with a base-5 if we decided "only one hand at a time".

Also, agreed. We're so stuck in the Arabic numeral system that it seems difficult to express "10" without "0". But the Romans did it just fine, as mentioned earlier. X.

(Also, if Roman numerals seem unintuitive, try out their calendar.)
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2015-03-31 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    So counting from 1 to 10: 1, 2, 3, 2-2, 5, 2-3, 7, 2-2-2, 3-3, 2-5
    Exactly. To add some more detail:
    - The absence of something (i.e. "zero") could be represented by a special pre- or suffix to the missing item(s). So: "I have no treasure" == "Treasure-no", "Six crowns are missing" == "2-3 crowns-no"

- Shamefully, eventually dragons will forget some of those pesky prime numbers. "I own ... What was the name of the number 3 less than 2-2-2-5-5-5 again?" In that case, dragons could simply substitute an addition instead: "Anyway, I own 2-2-3-83-plusone earrings"

- To avoid endless repetitions ("2-2-2-2-2-2-2-..." simply does not sound impressive), there could be a special syllable for exponentiation. "You will pay me 2-"up"-2-2-3-"down"-3 gold pieces or I will devour you!"

That will definitely underline the immense intelligence of dragons if they are capable of doing prime factorizations in their head just like someone else might calculate the sum of two numbers.

Amazing where you can arrive from simply removing a 0...
    Last edited by Surpriser; 2015-03-31 at 12:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

SwashbucklerGuy

...now I understand why dragons just have a hoard of stuff.

Imagine trying to audit that massive pile of swag with such an unwieldy counting system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post

Imagine trying to audit that massive pile of swag with such an unwieldy counting system.
    Oh, that is just a matter of familiarization and having an Int up in the stratosphere.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post

Ever seen a tax collector near a dragon's hoard? I guess dragons do have an IRS. They call it Incoming Repast Service though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I just spend the last 10 minutes searching out images of dragons and their feet.

Apparently D&D dragons are 4-toed. As such, left to their own devices, they'd probably have devised a base-8 numbering system. No idea why they have a 9 though. Probably pentadactylocentrism on the part of the artists. ("Oh, look at me. I've got these fancy thumbs for doing fine control of grasped objects.")

Although philosophically, I could see the devising of a base-9 count, as it signifies Io, the ninefold dragon.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

French has a similar weirdness where they count by multiples for some numbers - so 91 is "four-twenty eleven" and somehow they managed to have a civilization. For dragons, 10 could just be "nine and one," eleven "nine and two," and so on until 19 which is "two-nine and one." This runs until "nine-nine and nine" (90) at which point you can change to "one-nine-nine and one" for 91, "one-nine-nine and nine and one" for 100, and so on. Once this caps out (nine-nine-nine and nine-nine and nine, or 819) you add another level (one-nine-nine-nine etc etc) and so on.

Yes, it takes a while to describe large numbers, but dragons are super-long-lived creatures who spend days just sleeping on their hoard. They're not in any rush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Well, I just spend the last 10 minutes searching out images of dragons and their feet.

Apparently D&D dragons are 4-toed. As such, left to their own devices, they'd probably have devised a base-8 numbering system. No idea why they have a 9 though. Probably pentadactylocentrism on the part of the artists. ("Oh, look at me. I've got these fancy thumbs for doing fine control of grasped objects.")

Although philosophically, I could see the devising of a base-9 count, as it signifies Io, the ninefold dragon.
    Four claws per hand, plus tail = 9!