Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1989
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Volcano fortress

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Huzzah! I am a lurker now more! Now my evil machinations can finally begin anew! MWHAHAHA.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lustria
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    It seems we have a new wave of playgrounders.

    Welcome aboard to: TinyT-Rex, Haley14859 , Vhaelus , Lazloki , Dreamscape, Loreseeker (yes, I've decided to count you as new member ), tsj, Theia and MisterDrProf.
    Enjoy your stay!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hi! Also newly registered today. Long time roleplay, new to forums though.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    registered to the forums.

    been sorta lurking for days now....used the red hand of doom handbook here for one of my campaigns.

    I have a job at tech support...during free time i was like..ahhh what the heck i'll read order of the stick....

    (cuz i'll be honest 900+ pages was intimitading at first)

    i'm addicted now...

    here i am.

    .......

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    I have been a lurker for about six months since discovering OotS in January, and have finally created an account to further enable my habit of procrastinating on studying by spending lots of time on this website

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    United States of America
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hello everyone!
    I've been a fan of Giant In the Playground for probably well over 3 years by now, and have followed all of the comics, stories, games, and lurked through the forums for centuries. I'm really happy to finally be a part of it and am excited to explore the play-by-post games, as well as the discussions that occur!
    I think that about sums it all up, so hello again, and I hope any other lurkers are encouraged to make an account, too!

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hello! Former lurker for over 2 years, now have account

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    How do you put in a signature?? Please, I'm desperate.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    smile Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Also:
    Hello, Aloha, Bon Giorno, Enchantee, Hola, Konichiwa, Ni Hao, and Greetings Earth creatures!

    I found OOTS through a thread on (I have no idea anymore!) discussing what the best superpower was. I personally think mind control/hypnosis whatever, and got directed to 'You're a yellow-footed rock wallaby'. The funny/sad thing was, I started reading from there, found it awesome (obviously), added it to my Favourites. Then sadly, without proper backstory, I lost interest.

    But all was not lost!

    I got a new computer (my current one), and when I get a new computer I go through favourites to see if anything looks interesting. Guess what I found? OOTS, and I had a good laugh at myself when I realized why I lost interest. I read through the entire thing. Twice. I am now hooked.
    After getting used to just being able to click a 'Next' button, I had a real come-down when I finished the existing comic (hence the reading-it-twice thing.
    To get my daily fix of OOTS,I tried fanfiction.
    That went badly.
    I tried other webcomics.
    None were as good.
    I tried the Giant in the Playground Forums. That went well. So I got an account, and here I am.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    amused Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterDrProf View Post
    Huzzah! I am a lurker no more! Now my evil machinations can finally begin anew! MWHAHAHA.
    Not while I am here to stop you.

    Sneak attack!
    (My bardic boyfriend whispers 'You won initiative, go again)

    Oh, ok.
    Sneak attack!




    You can see who my favourite character is. Just look at my picture. Rogues are awesome. JD out.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Skyron, Andromeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia Dax View Post
    How do you put in a signature?? Please, I'm desperate.
    Welcome, Jadzia!
    Scroll up to the top of the page. Click "Settings". On the Settings Page, there will be a tab on the lower left-hand portion of the page with the header "My Settings". From there click "Edit Signature" and you may do so.

    (Also, remember to check out these)
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2015-07-02 at 05:15 PM.
    How vampires work in OOTS.

    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Im coming for you......

    Quote Originally Posted by Epicmaster View Post
    hello...
    you may not know me, but i know you.
    look out.
    i'm here.
    We are not the only ones left.
    There is one more.
    A necromancer of little reknown.
    He means us harm.

    End him.










































































































































    Welcome to the end of the post!

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hey everyone! I am a huge fan of oots and, by randomly exploring the internet, I found this site and thought it would be fun to chat with you all. I also play quite a lot of DND 3.5 edition so the Forums will help a lot if i need help with something

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Welcome, Jadzia!
    Scroll up to the top of the page. Click "Settings". On the Settings Page, there will be a tab on the lower left-hand portion of the page with the header "My Settings". From there click "Edit Signature" and you may do so.

    (Also, remember to check out these)
    Thanks so much.
    'Oh, I'm sure it isn't appropriate at all. But then I hate to be appropriate.'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I now have the urge to a Mount Doom made out chocolate ice cream.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMaster11 View Post
    Hey everyone! I am a huge fan of oots and, by randomly exploring the internet, I found this site.
    But this site is the one with OOTS on it.....
    'Oh, I'm sure it isn't appropriate at all. But then I hate to be appropriate.'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I now have the urge to a Mount Doom made out chocolate ice cream.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMaster11 View Post
    I also play quite a lot of DND 3.5 edition so the Forums will help a lot if i need help with something
    Cool. I want to play D&D but parents think 'it'll ruin your sociality blah blah'.
    Are there any online games to be found? I've done as much as possible without the kit but the aforementioned parents are refusing to let me get books,dice etc.
    'Oh, I'm sure it isn't appropriate at all. But then I hate to be appropriate.'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I now have the urge to a Mount Doom made out chocolate ice cream.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hello there all. Pretty new to all of this was hoping that I could find a little friendly guidance getting myself started correctly i.e. creating a character on the 3.5 system and sorting out my old character sheets. It's been almost 10 years since I last played so please be kind.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Gender
    Male

    Post New Member in Thread 12

    I got back into D&D after 25 years of mundane XP. Back then, this was called a BBS, and I dialed in with a 300bps modem on an Apple II+

    I knew I would DM, but I didn't want to buy miniatures for the tactical side. Money is to be spent on books/modules/mundane obligations.

    Old flat game tokens were ok, but iheartprintandplay.com (IHPnP) was better and light hearted.

    My 'miniatures' were compared to OOTS by some players. "OOTS, what's that?" I said. They were right. IHPnP even acknowledges the Creator Burlew, but is not the same.

    Found this Sunday night. Spent Monday-Wednesday reading ALL of OOTS. I'm a teacher, this is summer. I have time and tend to obsess a bit... I don't LOL often, but OOTS made me laugh the most I've laughed in a long time. Perhaps the most since Calvin and Hobbes? thank you Creator Burlew.

    I joined Thursday, post this today.

    Invoke Trivial Lore complete. Casting Improved Insignificance. >>Pwif<<

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Gender
    Male

    smile Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by LyphenThymes View Post
    Hello there all. Pretty new to all of this was hoping that I could find a little friendly guidance getting myself started correctly i.e. creating a character on the 3.5 system and sorting out my old character sheets. It's been almost 10 years since I last played so please be kind.
    Good news/bad news. 3.5 exists, alive and well, but is not the new shiny. That is the 5th edition. 3.5 groups exist, but you should really check out 5e. I have learned enough about 3.5 to know I don't want to know anything more about it, let alone know anything about 4e. I think knowing the rules-centric nature of 4e makes you appreciate 5e, which is more like the AD&D I know but wouldn't go back to.

    I was out for 25 years, I know what you are going though. This place has been great (after one day...), seems troll-free. Snideness and sarcasm appears to be the upper limit of incivility, and the normal is seeking to understand instead of seeking to be understood.

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Gender
    Male

    Post Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia Dax View Post
    Cool. I want to play D&D but parents think 'it'll ruin your sociality blah blah'.
    Are there any online games to be found? I've done as much as possible without the kit but the aforementioned parents are refusing to let me get books,dice etc.
    If you wish, show them my post.

    I am a 47 year old high school teacher who watches too many of his students spend almost every moment looking at a screen and NOT interacting in socially acceptable ways with their peers. Research is showing that screen time is rewiring kid's brains, and every hour of screen time creates a great social interaction deficit that needs to be filled by real social interactions (not posts in a forum, like this).

    DnD is an antidote to screen time. It involves massive amounts of imagination. It also involves quite a bit of close reading (not skimming or scanning) to gather facts in order to solve specific and/or generic problems that are solved in the context of a team. It requires accurate and concise formulation of questions and declarative statements. It involves real conversation in an imaginary setting. You learn to stand up for yourself as you stand up for your in-game persona. Ultimately it's all about creating a story. Every session is effectively a fantasy-writer's workshop.

    DnD is the probably the only thing out there that I can recommend in a secular environment to teach a child how to get along with others in a stressful situation (besides team sports or the extinct behavior known as unsupervised play).

    This seems important to her. Let her find a group. Take the time to listen to the group play the game. You may have no idea what they are talking about, but watch them collectively tell a story. Then decide if it's right for your daughter. It's no different from when you went to check out the playgroup, the pre-K, the school...

    Full disclosure, I have zero financial interest in the publisher. I will benefit in no way from whatever decision you make.

    Good luck. If you can, please let me know if I have done Good, Ms. Dax.

    -Kurt

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    Good news/bad news. 3.5 exists, alive and well, but is not the new shiny. That is the 5th edition. 3.5 groups exist, but you should really check out 5e. I have learned enough about 3.5 to know I don't want to know anything more about it, let alone know anything about 4e. I think knowing the rules-centric nature of 4e makes you appreciate 5e, which is more like the AD&D I know but wouldn't go back to.

    I was out for 25 years, I know what you are going though. This place has been great (after one day...), seems troll-free. Snideness and sarcasm appears to be the upper limit of incivility, and the normal is seeking to understand instead of seeking to be understood.
    Thank you much I appreciate the advice and the wisdom and will take it into consideration. 3.5e is where I started with and felt it only right to return there. When I searched 3.5e forums this is the first site that came up. It took a few days but now I'm here. I'm curious to know are there a vast majority of differences between 3.5e compared to 4.0e or 5e? And what are the vital differences? Many thanks.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Dr.Manhattan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hello! I want to build a character, wanted to get help from a forum, this seemed as a good forums since i have read many posts on here before without an account, so i signed up.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hello, um... I'm new at this. I have been playing D&D with my family for a few months now, and this was next, so here I am. Please go easy on me, seriously, I'm not kidding.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by LyphenThymes View Post
    Thank you much I appreciate the advice and the wisdom and will take it into consideration. 3.5e is where I started with and felt it only right to return there. When I searched 3.5e forums this is the first site that came up. It took a few days but now I'm here. I'm curious to know are there a vast majority of differences between 3.5e compared to 4.0e or 5e? And what are the vital differences? Many thanks.
    What I know about 3.5 is from reading OOTS and assuming it reflects the possibilities of the game. Not a scholarly perspective, granted.

    I never played 4. I only heard/read about it. Do you remember buying ranks is every conceivable skill, or it taking hours to build a character, or what appeared to be simple fights taking hours to resolve because everyone had more than one action in 3.5? Or people spending more time looking up rules than playing the game? That was all 4e, so I've been told.

    5e has almost none of that. People still look stuff up, it just doesn't take as long to figure out the right answer, or so I'm told. People spend time talking to each other, not trying to persuade the DM. And I would never be a 4e DM.

    I was able self-tutor to become a 5e DM by buying the books, playing a generic 1st level party vs. a random generated dungeon for 8-12 hours, figuring out the necessary mechanics, making the necessary mistakes, and emerging comfortable. I doubt I would have bothered to learn the optimizations and contours of 4e in that time. I've been told character creation could take hours.

    I'm not interested in learning tons of rules and applying/arguing over them in front of a DM judge. If I did, I would be trial lawyer. Anything with that many rules needs to be in a computer program, and I would play Older Scrolls, DankSouls, or Whiled your Lifecraft before I'd set foot in that system. Again, just what I was told, not what I know.

    My mentor into the game said 5e is more about the story, theater of the mind, less about the rules and how to break the game. 5e was an apology for 4e, he said.

    Apology accepted. I bought their books.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    What I know about 3.5 is from reading OOTS and assuming it reflects the possibilities of the game. Not a scholarly perspective, granted.

    I never played 4. I only heard/read about it. Do you remember buying ranks is every conceivable skill, or it taking hours to build a character, or what appeared to be simple fights taking hours to resolve because everyone had more than one action in 3.5? Or people spending more time looking up rules than playing the game? That was all 4e, so I've been told.

    5e has almost none of that. People still look stuff up, it just doesn't take as long to figure out the right answer, or so I'm told. People spend time talking to each other, not trying to persuade the DM. And I would never be a 4e DM.

    I was able self-tutor to become a 5e DM by buying the books, playing a generic 1st level party vs. a random generated dungeon for 8-12 hours, figuring out the necessary mechanics, making the necessary mistakes, and emerging comfortable. I doubt I would have bothered to learn the optimizations and contours of 4e in that time. I've been told character creation could take hours.

    I'm not interested in learning tons of rules and applying/arguing over them in front of a DM judge. If I did, I would be trial lawyer. Anything with that many rules needs to be in a computer program, and I would play Older Scrolls, DankSouls, or Whiled your Lifecraft before I'd set foot in that system. Again, just what I was told, not what I know.

    My mentor into the game said 5e is more about the story, theater of the mind, less about the rules and how to break the game. 5e was an apology for 4e, he said.

    Apology accepted. I bought their books.
    I figured 3.5 would be a good place to start relearning the basics. Is that a waste of time? Should I just focus on 5e? I really had very little opportunity to play much so I feel like I know nothing. Do people even play 3.5e anymore?

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Quote Originally Posted by LyphenThymes View Post
    Do people even play 3.5e anymore?
    Absolutely 3.5 is played, so is 4. You can find groups around if you live in a city. But the momentum always moves to the shiny new thing, 5e. At this moment in time it seems that the new thing is improved.

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Hello, one and all. Long-time forum lurker here, decided just now to stop that and maybe participate in the community a little. Not a huge comic guy, so I haven't really read much of it. My existence is mostly tabletop RPGs, metal, and video games.

    If anyone's interested in what kind of RPG experience I have, I've been DMing a sort-of post-apocalyptic Wild West themed Pathfinder campaign (also my first campaign proper) for a few months now, and that's been pretty fun. I've played PrCs since ~2008 or so and decided I'd shake up my buddies with something cool and a little gimmicky, and it's worked out well so far.
    Last edited by Burpito; 2015-07-03 at 05:22 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Recalled to Life

    Now I am here. Where I was, I shall not tell, and where I shall be, I cannot say.

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2015

    Default Why 5e?

    I can see why--4e was such a pain in the rear, so 5e is quite the relief for players young and old.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Québec
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hello, and Welcome New Members, Thread 12

    Heyo, I joined this board a long while, and I never taken into consideration to say hello. I really friggin' love D&D (especially 3.5) and I wanna one day be a DM for a campaign with some friends of mines. Hope you'll appreciate my presence.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •