New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition - Burnt Offerings

After scratching his chin thoughtfully, Filibert shrugs and moves to take a position near the front of the company. That whole thing just struck me as odd. I hope the old man's got something more to go on, but I've no particular desire to charge into twice our number of bandits who ain't gonna play fair either. he thoughtfully says from atop Growler.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

"All right, maybe we should take steps against pursuit? Not that I have any great ideas, mind you. By the way, what happened to this person who was tailing us? I hope he isn't in league with goblins too..." Worried, the vanara adopts a brisker pace.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-06 at 10:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

When you turn back, you pass the old man and he smiles and waves, and keeps walking down the road. You do see him finally step off the road as it turns southeast. He seems to turn Northeast instead. On closer look, you see a ball of twine and a few fishing hooks clipped on his belt that you didn't notice before. Nothing else happens as you travel back to Sandpoint.

Spoiler: Sandpoint Natives
    Show
    You think you'll find Longiku hard at work in the Glassworks today.

Spoiler: Deren
    Show
    You strongly think the old man was Jubrayl's backup. Looks like he wasn't needed after all, but you may owe Jubrayl something for his aid. You can never tell with family.

Spoiler: Gilraen
    Show
    Shallelu is still in town, and might have finished giving her report.
    My Characters

Alaniel (Retired) Bob "O-Matic" Kern (Fallout) Hanzi Ivarisky (Giantslayer)

Games I'm running
    Runelords

4. - Top - End - #214

Relieved that the group made it home safely, Sminerano says: "We should report back to Longiku as soon as possible... but also, it's urgent that we warn the sheriff about the presence of large numbers of goblins. Goblins aren't a are occurrence, but these seemed rather organized."

Spoiler
    Show
    If I recall the player's guide correctly, there's nothing special about seeing goblins around town, but the organization with the lookout is notable. Also, it's clear that road is not at all safe now.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Rax nods, shrugging his shoulders to work out some of the knots from carrying his pack all day. "Yeah, we finished the job fair and square. I'll, uh, let you do the talking with Sheriff Hemlock, though - I don't he's too fond of me or the Fortune's crew." As he's ruefully shaking his head, another thought occurs to him, and he turns to Gilraen. "You didn't recognize any of the others, did you? The armored man or the two women? If we could give the old man the names of some of Tsuto's new 'friends', that might be worth something to him. Do you think they're from around these parts? And what do you suppose is the connection with the goblins?" He scratches his head in puzzlement.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "You didn't recognize any of the others, did you? The armored man or the two women? If we could give the old man the names of some of Tsuto's new 'friends', that might be worth something to him. Do you think they're from around these parts? And what do you suppose is the connection with the goblins?"
    Gilraen shakes his head. "I feel I have seen the silver-haired woman before, but no. For now, he will have to settle for what information we have. I do not intend to get killed for him.

As to the connection, that is a concern. Goblins are little more than pests on their own, but can pose a serious threat when led by a stronger and more cunning individual- take Tsuto, for example.
    " The tall elf's expression sours as he puts words to his thoughts. "I will report to the Longiku first. You are all welcome to come with me." He heads in the direction of the glassworks, where Longiku usually is this time of day.

7. - Top - End - #217

Nodding in approval, Sminerano follows his friend towards the Glassworks. On the way, the vanara, now at his most talkative again, begins on a story of how his master's alchemical research gave Longiku the opportunity to bring new glass colors and patterns to the market, this making Longiku a good customer for his alchemy shop.

8. - Top - End - #218

SwashbucklerGuy

The Glassworks is one of the largest stone buildings in Sandpoint, and it is easily visible from Main Street. As you approach, you pass by Sandpoint Savories, and the smell from the bakery reminds you that you have yet to partake a meal at midday. A middle-aged woman rocks in a rocking chair, seemingly lost in thought. The bakers are twin sisters, though one seems to be a bit more heavyset. The thinner one, tries to catch someone in the party's eye with a little curtsy. She then notices how grim your purpose seems to be, and sighs, putting her hand on her hip.

The furnace to the Glassworks can be heard clearly out in the street. Smoke rises from its three chimneys in the middle of the building. Light shines down from a large skylight in the display room, and many outside windows also allow light into the building, and show off various glass wares, including a rather large, beautiful wrought-iron and glass sculpture of a butterfly. You suspect it is a piece to be placed in the Temple after the work is complete. A wooden sign with carved scrollwork that has been recently repainted displays "Sandpoint Glassworks" proudly, and an arrow points towards a set of double doors.

As you enter, you are greeted by a cheery halfling woman named Belinda, who welcomes you loudly (the furnace creates a lot of sound, even in the reception area), and asks if your business is custom, supplier, or other. You explain that you're here to see Longiku, and she asks you to have a seat and wait. Around this room you see drawings of successful projects completed by the Glassworks, and a listing of the location, most of which are in Korvosa and Magnimar. A few of the drawings are signed by Ameiko, and one is signed by a "T.K."

The door opens, and Longiku enters the reception area. He beckons you to come into another door. The small office is ill suited for the number of people, but the walls are thicker and much of the furnace sound abates as you enter. He gets right to the point. "You have news, then?"
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Spoiler'd for dumb
    Show
    As the party reaches the glassworks, Filibert dismounts Growler and, after patting the wolf's head, gestures for him to wait outside.

After being ushered into Longiku's presence, the halfling gives a low bow. Allow me to introduce myself... Filibert Heathertoe, gentleman knight. I was contacted by a few of these fine fellows to help provide some muscle. After rising, the halfling continues: I'll make it quick. After being attacked by goblins on the way, we saw Tsuto riding toward us in the company of a few others, all mounted and seeming confident of their ability to repel us if we were to attack directly. After they chose to turn and ride leisurely back along the road, it was suggested that between their clear lack of concern for us and the lookouts sighted nearby that we were very likely to be out of our depth here. The halfling steps back into the general line formed by the party.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy to improve attitude: (1d20+5)[15]
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2015-05-07 at 11:07 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

10. - Top - End - #220

NecromancerGuy

Deren patiently and silently follows the rest of the party back to Sandpoint, carefully watching their rear until out of the woods.

Once back in town he follows the rest to see Longiku but does not speak up when they address the old man, preferring to let those more comfortable in such discussions explain what they discovered.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

As they step inside the glassworks, Gilraen turns to Filibert. "It is best that you wait for us here, my new friend. We are pledged to secrecy regarding the purpose of our task, so it is not prudent to include you in the meeting." When Longiku invites them into a more secure meeting area, he steps through the doorway boldly, holding it for those behind him.

Once everyone has filed in and settled as best they are able in the over-cramped room, he gets straight to the point. "As we approached the area where the bandits were known to prowl, my colleagues attempted to scout the area so that we might not walk into an ambush unawares. We came upon a troubling situation: a small group of goblins in the area was working in collusion with the bandits. After we dispatched the petty miscreants, we were approached from the distant hilltop by a quartet of horse-riders. As they approached into bowshot range, I recognized Tsuto at their fore. I am ashamed to admit that I cannot recall the identity of his companions, but nonetheless, the four approached near enough to recognize, before turning and fleeing beneath their posted lookouts.

Taking their tactically advantageous position and clear lack of interest in discourse, we decided that it would be more prudent to report what we have learned, rather than report nothing, due to our own deaths or capture.

I can say, conclusively, that Tsuto is not only among the bandits, but in some position of leadership. I can also say that he is working hand in hand with at least a small company of goblins, and that they have a somewhat firm hold on the fords East of Sandpoint- one does not place lookouts to defend nothing.
    "

He stands tall, waiting for the man's response.

12. - Top - End - #222

SwashbucklerGuy

Longiku sighs the heavy sigh of a man burdened with worry. "It is true then. Thank you for fulfilling your part of the contract." He counts out 100 gold from a small purchasing safe in the office, then shuts and locks it. "Here is mine. Again, I ask you not to tell Ameiko or anyone else that would tell her. I must deliver this news to her, if I have any hope of saving what's left of my family."

Show
    At this point you guys are free to finish out this day. Then we will skip ahead to the night before the festival. If for some reason you do not wish to skip ahead, please post your reasoning in an ooc spoiler to your post for this evening.
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-05-08 at 07:38 AM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsend View Post
    "Here is mine. Again, I ask you not to tell Ameiko or anyone else that would tell her. I must deliver this news to her, if I have any hope of saving what's left of my family."]
    Gilraen nods formally. He accepts the pouch, intending to divvy it later. He makes no effort to hide his smile at the man's final comment. He ushers his companions from the room, before turning back to Longiku. "She may not often show it, but I can assure you that Ameiko yet cares for you. She speaks of you on occasion, often unsure how to put words to what she feels in her heart. I wish you the best, and will be glad to provide any other aid I can. I count your daughter among my closest friends." He nods to the man, before leaving the room behind his companions.

Outside the room, he recovers Filibert, and asks the assembled group, "Shall we retire to the dragon, then? Our work for the day appears completed."

14. - Top - End - #224

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Shall we retire to the dragon, then? Our work for the day appears completed."
    "I am afraid I have other business to which I should attend. For now, I will take my pay and my leave of you fine people. I am sure we will see each other again, perhaps at the opening of the cathedral," Deren says, politely waiting for Gilraen to pay him his earnings.

After receiving his cut and excusing himself, the tattooed man makes his way to see his own set of contacts in town.

Spoiler: OoC to Justin
    Show
    Deren will explain the situation at the ford to Jubrayl, avoiding personal details about Tsuto or his step father, but covering the safety concerns for traders and family members who might pass that way. If pressed, he will explain that he knows too little about the family issues to feel confident in what he saw or heard and will insist that the road the party explored today is too dangerous to warrant use until something has changed.

After this, I am 100% good with fast forwarding to the day of the cathedral dedication.

15. - Top - End - #225

"Sir, Ameiko is my friend, and I believe she deserves to know what is going on with her brother. Naturally, it is only proper that you would be the one delivering the news, and I trust that you will do so", Sminerano replies, in the formal and polite tone he's learnt to use with Longiku in his business dealings.

"This leaves, however, the business of a goblin camp and set ambush blocking one of our roads, so close to our town. The sheriff needs to be informed of that threat, and with your permission, I will do so."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-08 at 07:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226

SwashbucklerGuy

"Since the matter is concerning bandits, I will bring it up at the next League Meeting. While I doubt either the sheriff or the mayor will want to address the issue before the upcoming festival, you can certainly make your feelings about it known, as long as I and my "son" stay out of the conversation."

Show
    "Cousin Sevli has yet to return to make his report. If I have news to deliver to Riddleport, I will make sure to send it via ship. Thank you for letting me know about the situation so quickly. I'm sure Cousin Sevli will be along shortly. He has yet to fail me."
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

17. - Top - End - #227

Sminerano nods, and bids his host a good day before heading out with the rest of the group.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Outside the room, he recovers Filibert, and asks the assembled group, "Shall we retire to the dragon, then? Our work for the day appears completed."
    Rax hefts his now-heavier coin purse with a slight smile. "I'm off as well. This certainly livened things up a bit, though. Be seeing you." With that, he turns and makes his way back to the docks, looking for a dice game, dinner and a pint at the Hagfish, and then bed.

Show
    Good with fast-forwarding to the festival here as well!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Oddly chagrined, Gilraen suddenly finds himself standing outside the glassworks with several less people than expected. "Ah well. I should tell you, Filibert, we were offered coin for that little venture. It was little enough of an incentive for me, as I care deeply- ah, that is I had my own reasons. If you would deign to buy me a few rounds out of this, I would be much obliged." With that, he tosses the remaining 25g to Filibert, and strolls towards the Rusty Dragon, whistling pleasantly.

Show
    Ready and prepared for take off, mon capitan!

20. - Top - End - #230

SwashbucklerGuy

Show
    You start to wonder if you'll ever see these people again, or if they, like so many adventurers you met before, will pass through on the way to different destinies. You see Shallelu at the Rusty Dragon, and tell her about what happened. She vows to check it out and do what she can to disrupt the bandit point.

Spoiler: Rax
    Show
    While you were away, a worker accidentally drove a nail into a hidden still, which exploded. You think the Lady's Fortune may now be a better tavern and inn (especially since it's free for you) than boat.

Spoiler: Sminerano
    Show
    Your mentor is quite glad to see you back. He asks about your journey and you show him the spot where the boar ripped your apron. He says to wear it proudly.

Spoiler: Filibert
    Show
    Now that you see yourself as a knight, you start beginning to wonder what that really means, and what you should do about it. In the times when the town is still, you begin reflecting on your previous life, and wondering, now that you've tasted the thrill of the charge, if you could ever go back.

Show
    Cousin Sevli returns, and takes off his mask, revealing a man not yet forty, possibly not yet thirty, with a shock of black hair. The mask turns into a simple cap. Sevli looks lean and quick, something the oversized robe had hidden from your view. (If you thank him, he laughs and says "That's what family does! Looks after its own." It seems to be both acceptance and warning at the same time.) Jubrayl only requests that you stay in town for a while. He has been working on something big, but has yet to iron out all the details.

Night falls, and you wonder if the next day will bring as much excitement.

Starday, the 20th of Arodus, 4707 AR

Shallelu leaves early in the morning. and Father Zantus has asked Ekhaszer to help prepare fireworks for the festival. This keeps Sminerano quite busy, and will until the order is complete. Filibert, still curious about the Two Knight's Brewery, begins meeting with Brewmaster Deverin and asking him questions about his adventuring life. Rax finds himself starting to help Rynshinn, mostly out of boredom, and some of the townsfolk begin to not be as fearful around him. Ameiko also seems to be busily working towards perfecting a salmon dish, as it seems the local taverns have been commissioned by the Merchant League to compete with each other to claim Sandpoint's Best Eatery award. She treats the party to a free evening meal, as long as they give honest critiques about how she could do better.

Sunday, the 21st of Arodus, 4707 AR

Things slow way down today, as it seems everyone is quite ready to pause the preparations. It gives them time to enjoy, and look forward to the dedication ceremony. Father Zantus chooses this Sunday to reintroduce Sarenrae, and reminds the followers that while Desna is most honored, Sarenrae has her part to play in the new temple as well, since it is a form of renewal. The weather has not yet turned cold, and it is a glorious day for the beach. None of the shops are open today, save the taverns and inns, and many people are out on the docks, fishing, or wading into the ocean by the Glassworks. Rax and Rynshinn spend the day walking about town, since this is the first real break she's had from work. Even the town guard seems more lax today, and you notice fewer patrolling.

Moonday, the 22nd of Arodus, 4707

Refreshed and still looking forward to the celebration, most of the town wakes early and goes straight to it. Notable exceptions are Vin Vender, who seems to have spent the night fitfully, constantly concerned that his daughter Katrine had been sneaking out, and Brodert Quink and Headmaster Gandethus spent the evening hours talking about the Old Light. When Rynshinn hears that Rax has an interest in Thassilonian runes, she lets him know that Brodert is the town's expert on the subject.

Toilday, Wealday, Oathday, the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of Arodus, 4707

Very little of note happens. Work proceeds on the temple as planned, and it is nearing completion.

Fireday, the 26th of Arodus, 4707

The local market is going full steam, and a few more merchants from Magnimar arrive. They seem also interested in staying for the festival. (If asked, they do mention the bandits south of Sandpoint, but that they were Varisian and bribable, so no one really got hurt.)

Starday, the 27th of Arodus, 4707

A man in black with a tattered red cloak comes into the Rusty Dragon, and puts a notice up on the Help Wanted board. He mutters something about incompetent forest guides and fickle fey, and pays Ameiko for a room.

Sunday, the 28th of Arodus, 4707

A heavy rain causes the temple workers a lot of grief today, as they have to go secure a large tarp over the top of the uncompleted temple. The rain keeps most people in their homes.

Moonday, the 29th of Arodus, 4707

Work was not set back by the rain, and the men seem to be bolstered by seeing the end of the project so soon. Stained Glass windows arrive completed from the Glassworks, and are set in the Temple, honoring many of the Gods that control the fortunes of the majority of the people in Sandpoint. Desna's stained glass window is exceptionally beautiful. Also, a sculpture with a large tarp over it is lifted into place at the front of the temple.

Toilday, the 30th of Arodus, 4707

The masons finally finish the Temple, and cheers erupt. A little pre-celebration happens in most of the taverns and inns, and the Sheriff has a very busy night.

Wealday, the 31st of Arodus, 4707

Almost all the preparations for the festival are complete, and a wooden stage is erected in front of the Temple, as well as various tents set up but covered and closed, mostly trying not to spoil the surprise. A few more out of towners come in, and stay at the White Tail Deer and the Rusty Dragon.

The ones staying at the dragon are an old, gruff farmer named Maester Grump, and a Black Arrow Ranger by the name of Althus. He seems to be some sort of recruiter for their order. He also posts a message on the "Help Wanted" board.

Spoiler: New Help Wanted Board
    Show

Father Zantus offers a special night of prayer to the Dreamer tonight, but few of the townspeople stay much past the revelation of the evening stars, and even Father Zanthus turns in before too long.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

21. - Top - End - #231

SwashbucklerGuy

Oathday, 1st of Rova, 4707

The day everyone has been preparing for is finally here. Many of Sandpoint's most elgible are out in force, wearing stunning dresses and elegant tunics designed by Rynshinn. Ven Vinder's daughters Katrine and Shayliss look exceptionally beautiful. Shayliss's long red hair is held in place with painted metal Swallowtail pins, and her dress matches their color. Quite a few of the travelers gawk at her, including a young farmer who tries to introduce himself as Rogors Craesby. Shayliss seems unimpressed by his eagerness, and her father nearly whacks him over the head with a walking stick. Katrine's blond tresses are gathered at the back with a white lacy ribbon that accentuates the lace hem of her dress. Ven is currently scowling at Benny Harker, who seems to be by himself, but has been meeting Katrine's glances. Mayor Deverin currently stands on the stage, accompanied by Boswick Vernari, and is currently waving and welcoming people as they come into the square. A large banner held aloft by two poles at the end of the stage reads "Swallowtail Festival". Rynshinn and Hannah are also present and wearing quite alluring atire as well. Ameiko is wearing what looks like some sort of Minkaian dress, a deep blue color with golden inlay, very form fitting at the front, and then squaring off at the hip, and trailing down to her knees. She wears tight fitting black pants and black slippers to complement.

The few farmers that have come today seem to look somewhat out of place, with their simple garb, but no one seems to mind their presence or their lack of decor. A cute pair of farmers holding hands introduce themselves to Mayor Deverin as Crade and Lis Hambley, and present their five sons to her. The youngest seems very distracted by one of the festival games near the Old Light. Maester Grump and Recruiter Althus seem to have hit it off as well, as they seem to find a festival archery game highly amusing.

Many of the town merchants have set up small stalls themselves, showcasing some of their best wares and all have decorative and colorful signs proudly displaying their shop names. This goes double for the taverns and inns, which have free food on hand. Ale however, is still being sold.

Boswick Vernari calls the crowd's attention, and then Mayor Deverin begins speaking. "Welcome again, Friends and Neighbors, to the Swallowtail Festival!" Cheers rise out of the crowd. "This has been, without a doubt one of the highest turnouts we've ever had in my tenure as Mayor. Why even Larz Rovanky was able to tear himself away from smearing brains on deerhide!" The crowd laughs at her joke, but Larz grumbles to himself.

"I want to offer my thanks to the many people who made this festival possible. Thank you, masons, for all your work on our new Temple! I'm sure it will be the site of many wonderful things to come! Thank you, innkeepers and tavern keepers, for providing food for our event. Don't forget, there are secret judges among the crowd who will be coming by to sample your food and be ready to reveal the prize later on today. Thank you to all our farmer friends who provide us with the opportunity to eat such great food! Thank you, Jodar Provolost, Daverin Hosk, Aesrick Battlehorn, Gressel Tenniwar, Turch Sterglus, and Sabyl Sorn for providing entertaining games and activities. I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourselves!"

The Mayor sits down in a chair on the stage. Next up, is Sheriff Hemlock.

"Welcome everyone. I just have a few cautionary words and then I will allow everyone to get back to it. Please mind yourselves today. While there will be plenty of ale, the guards are on hand to stop any unpleasantness. This evening will be featuring a bonfire, like last year, but I ask that everyone maintain a proper distance from the fire, so that no one is burned. Please do your best to leave enough space for people to move around so that if the fire gets out of hand, the it can be easily suppressed. Also, let us take a moment to remember the passing of Ezakien Tobyn and his adopted daughter Nualia."

Show
    The mention of Nualia triggers an image of a young woman with violet eyes and shockingly beautiful silver hair, who was of celestial descent. Could it be? Has she somehow survived the fire that claimed her father?

The sheriff, unsure when to stop talking, lurches into a halt, and then motions to Boswick and sits down.

"Oh, ah, yes. Now we were scheduled to hear from Longiku Kaijutsu, the master glassworker here in Sandpoint, but he appears to have caught a cold from last Sunday's rain and has retired to his home."

Cyrdak Drokkus, sensing an opportunity, rushes up to the stage and whispers to Boswick.

"In his absence, we are delighted to announce that our beloved Cyrdak will now say a few words!" The crowd cheers wildly. "Come on up!"

Cyrdak jogs around and almost flies up the stairs to be on his natural home. "Friends! While it is quite a shame that Master Kaijutsu cannot be with us, I'm sure that we will make merry twice as hard in his absence! After all, we should party all the more, that way our good spirits will allow his to rise! Of course, we should celebrate, given what this monument cost, we all deserve it. Why Father Zantus even came to me to ask for a few coppers per ticket of my new showing of "The Harpy's Curse." But fear not! I, Cyrdak Drokkus, was more than happy to oblige! After all, what are a few coppers more when you get the chance to see the lovely, the captivating, the talk of Magnimar, Allishanda! She will portray the devious Avisera the harpy queen as she fights against the curse of Lamashtu to find true love! So eat! Drink! Be merry!"

"Thank you Cyrdak, that was quite moving. And next we have Father Zantus, who will offer a quick benediction."

Father Zantus stands up. "Again, welcome everyone. Thank you for coming on this fine day. We praise Gozreh for calming the winds and the seas. We praise Sarenrae for redeeming our place of worship. We praise Abadar, for smiling down on our work to restore our place of worship. But this day belongs to Desna! Praise be to the Great Dreamer, who saw in us, the hope that we would once again have a beautiful place to worship her, who inspired us to seek out the contracts we would need to rebuild this holy place, who bolstered our work with song and dance, and kept our hearts light as we rested under the stars. Today is her day, and may we dance and sing the starsong!"
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-05-09 at 05:21 AM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

22. - Top - End - #232

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Food
    Show

Most of this food will come out at lunch, but Ameiko does allow anyone in the group who asks to sample some of the smoked salmon she prepared. It's nearing divine.

Sandpoint Savories is featuring Avertin's Apple Pie

White Tailed Deer is serving roast venison with capers

The Hagfish serves butterfly clams with lemon-butter

Risa's Place is serving Varisian Delight, A thinly sliced fillet, breaded and rolled around a batter of onion and corn meal and deep fried in oil

Cracktooth's Tavern has made a crab bisque

Spoiler: Activities
    Show
    "Do you have what it takes to bring down the infamous Sandpoint Devil? Take a shot and see." Jodar Provolost cries. Maester Grump and Recruiter Althus have both tried their hands and are munching on a pie. They're watching and commenting about the people who try the game.

Spoiler: The Devil Hunt
    Show
    This event takes place at an archery range set up on the beach by the lighthouse. Two large targets with silhouettes of a monstrous winged horse are set up fifty yards away from a firing line. The bull’s-eye on each target is where the horse’s heart would be, and there are four concentric circles surrounding the bull’s-eye. To play costs two copper pieces. Using one of the longbows provided, the player fires two arrows at the target, scoring the better of the two. Hitting a bull’s-eye wins a small pie. Hitting anything else wins progressively cheaper trinkets for each band outside the bull’s-eye, with nothing for a miss.

Show
    Make 2 ranged attack rolls. If you hit higher than 20 you win a pie.

"Three Goblins have found their way into your house and are tearing it up! Toss them into the fireplace before they can destroy everything." Daverin Hosk calls to promote his game. The children all seem to love this game, and have formed a long line.

Spoiler: The Goblin Toss
    Show
    This game is a simple bean bag toss set up in the square. A board with a row of three holes is set up 10 feet from a throwing line. The closest hole is the largest and the farthest hole is the smallest. There are buckets of beanbags sewn to look like goblins by each of the three stations, and each bean bag has a goblin name printed on it. This event costs one copper piece. The player receives three “goblins,” and must try to toss them into a “fireplace”. Children aim for the closest hole, women use the middle hole, and adult men use the furthest hole.

Show
    Make 3 ranged attack rolls to hit AC 15. No penalty for improvised weapons. Hit all 3 and win a bag of venison jerky. Daverin tells any children who win the jerky that it's really goblin meat. Most of them believe him.

"Who needs a lighthouse without a light? The old lighthouse has become an eyesore. Let’s knock it down so we can use the stone to build something new," calls Aesrick Battlehorn.

Spoiler: The Lighthouse Smash
    Show
    This game is set up at the end of Junker’s Way next to the lighthouse. It has a table with six square stones stacked on it in a triangular shape, and has a firing line twenty feet from the tables. Using a small catapult, the players must try to knock down the stack of stones. To play costs two copper pieces. Each player gets three shots. It usually takes all three hits to knock down all the stones, though it is possible to knock the stones down with one catapult shot. The small catapult is a work of art. It is 2 feet tall and has been carved in the shape of a stone giant with its arm throwing the stone. Battlehorn has a soft spot for the children, and helps them aim it so that they can win the toy catapults.

Show
    A successful ranged attack roll against AC 12 counts as one hit. Hitting AC 16 counts as two hits, and hitting AC 20 counts as three hits. The catapults have a range of fifty feet, so there is no range penalty, but players incur a penalty of -4 if they are not proficient with siege weapons. Knocking down all the stones wins a small toy catapult. Anything less wins the player a handful of cheap trinkets. Missing all three shots does not win the player anything.

"There’s been talk of starting a dragon farm in Sandpoint. We need to find out which dragons are the fastest so that we have the best stock. Pick yourself a dragon and put it to the test in a race against your friends!" calls a crier for Gressel Tenniwar.

Spoiler: Dragon Races
    Show
    The final game is located in the Sandpoint market square at the beginning of Market Street. There are two thirty-foot-long double lane tracks set up next to each other with a three-foot wide gap between. Near the starting line, there is a large cage with twelve lizards in it. Each lizard has a set of twig and cloth wings attached to their backs, and each is painted a different color. Without touching the lizards, the player must goad their lizard down the track. To play costs one copper piece. Once four people have picked a “dragon”, the players must place them in the starting lanes. At the sound of the whistle, the gates are lifted and the players must goad their dragons down the track without touching them.

Show
    Each person racing makes an initiative check and the race proceeds in initiative order. Making each lizard move five feet requires a successful DC 14 Handle Animal check. On a failure, they do not move, and if the check fails by 10 or more, the lizard moves five feet backwards. The first lizard to cross the finish line wins. The winner gets a large, cheap medal that reads “1st Place Swallowtail Dragon Races” and 2 copper pieces. All other places get nothing. If you want to do this one, let me know and we'll hash it out in our OOC thread.

Spoiler: Perception DC 18
    Show
    You see a few unsavory characters watching the "dragon races" with great intent. When one wins, one of the men cheers wildly while the rest of their faces sour. If you keep watching, make a
    Spoiler: Perception DC 12
    Show
    You see some of the competitors hold raw meat in front of their lizards.

Spoiler: Sense Motive 20
    Show
    Some of the lizards seem more motivated to win than others, and usually its the ones who want the raw meat.

"Who is the strongest in Sandpoint?" Sabyl Sorn offers this simple challenge.

Spoiler: Weight Lifting
    Show
    She stands before three sets of weights that pairs seem to be attached to a bar. The challenge seems simple enough, lift the weight over your head. Both men and women gather to watch people attempting this challenge.

Show
    This is a straight lifting check. The first weight starts at 150 pounds. The next is 250, and the final one is 350. If you can lift all three over your head, you win.

Turch Sterglus calls out. "Welcome sailors and sandlubbers, to this here duck pond. Whoever's got a keen eye in their skull will win a prize. Whoever's not will ne'er see Murdermaw sneakin up on em till it's TOO LATE!" All the kids cheer "Murdermaw! Murdermaw!" when they hear the salty old dog say his name.

Show
    This is a classic duck pond. 2 coppers gets you the chance to pick 3 ducks. Picking the correct duck requires a dc 15 perception check. The ducks don't go back into the pond until after you've finished your try. On the bottom of each duck will be a symbol. The one you want is Murdermaw. Match 3 symbols and you win a carved fishbone necklace. Match 2 and you get a carved fishbone hairpin. Get 1 Murdermaw symbol and you get a salty treat.

Spoiler: Madame Mvashti's Fortunes
    Show
    It's rare for Madame Mvashti to do readings these days, but the festival seems to have put her in a good mood. Her services do not come cheap, however, and gold must cross her palm before she will deal the Harrow Deck before her. A few birds have gathered near her, and seem to chatter back and forth, sometimes seemingly addressing her. She clucks back to them.

A few hours into the festival, Ameiko calls out to the crowd. "If you think you're tough, come prove it to all Sandpoint. If you can eat the spiciest of what I've cooked, you and a friend can have free drinks this Starday at the Rusty Dragon!"

Spoiler: Spicy Eating Contest
    Show

This is the event that Horran and Lettie Guffmin, two farmers from the surrounding area, seem to have been waiting for, and they're the first to sit down at the long table. Also sitting down at the table is the local locksmith and well known patron of the arts, Volioker Briskalberd.

Show
    The rounds will get progressively harder, the first one starts out with a DC 10 fortitude check. It's not poison, so the dwarf doesn't have that advantage. We will need to coordinate this one to see who will be knocked out during each round.

Spoiler: Men and Women
    Show

Most of the ones listed before, except Katrine Vinder and the married farmers are available to speak with and court. Also here and available are Arika Alvertin, Courrin Whesterwill, and quite a few others (meaning if you don't like any of these, you can certainly make someone up). Notably missing is Jubrayl's sister, who is probably out on the road and Shallelu, who is also busy scouting. Ameiko, while available, is really busy preparing all the fish and Bethana is helping her. Belinda is here and available.

Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-05-09 at 06:51 AM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The day of the festival dawns warm and sunny, but Rax has prepared by purchasing a wide-brimmed straw hat, after the style the local farmers wear. It clashes quite obviously with his salt-stained leathers and sailing garb, and draws quite a few looks and giggles, but for keeping the worst of the sun out of his eyes he's willing to tolerate almost anything. He makes his way through the various booths savoring a handful of butterfly clams from the Hagfish he was acquire early on his way to the festival this morning. His glance falls appreciatively on Katrine and Shayliss as he passes by them, but a dirty look from Ven Vinder keeps him moving on his way.

The *thunk* of arrows and the sounds of applause draw him over to the archery range set up by the old lighthouse. Drawing out a few coppers, he pays the entry fee by the brightly painted sign advertising "The Devil Hunt". He makes eye contact with Maester Grump and the Black Arrow ranger, Althus, as he goes to select his bow, and nods carefully at the pair. After rejecting the first bow as being too large, he settles on a smaller shortbow and steps up to the line. After glancing around to see if Rynshinn might be watching, he aims carefully and sends two arrows sailing at the targets.
    Spoiler: Shots
    Show
    attack 1 (1d20+3)[23]
    attack 2 (1d20+3)[9]

EDIT: I forgot to include being "dazzled" for bright light, so -1 to each attack roll. Still not too shabby
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2015-05-09 at 05:13 PM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

SwashbucklerGuy

Rynshinn has trouble recognizing Rax in the big hat. She laughs when he finally gets her attention. "I've got to do something about your outfit." She says cheerily, and then wraps a scarf around the crown of the hat that pulls the elements of his strange costume together. Then when he goes over to the archery range, she can't help but leave her booth for a moment to watch and cheers as his first shot strikes true! Jodar guffaws and Maester Grump and Recruiter Althus both clap the half-elf on the back after he's taken his second shot. "Quite the showing, young master." Recruiter Althus says. Jodar hands him a small meat pie. "Well done!"
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-05-09 at 06:06 PM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen arrives at the festival a little bit late, and spends several minutes orienting himself about all the games. He nods appreciatively as Rax shoots the target, smiling at the wide, silly looking hat.

When he comes across Hannah, he bows deeply to the woman. "Good afternoon, miss. Enjoying the festival?" As always, he is slightly uncomfortable in conversation, but he acquits himself passably, without too much embarrassment. He attempts to guide her towards the Cracktooth's Tavern vendor, buys her and himself an ale, and thoroughly enjoys the crab bisque as he otherwise watches most of the revelry.

26. - Top - End - #236

SwashbucklerGuy

Hannah's emerald green dress matches her eyes, and she wears a holy symbol of Gozreh prominently today. "I am enjoying the festival, though Nualia's tragedy dims it somewhat. Her passing is still too near for me. Gozreh has never desired a Temple of stone and glass, so while Father Zantus means well, in some ways the mark is missed. Have you heard from your mother and sisters lately? I always like when you share bits about Mierani life, as it seems so far away from my existence here." She accepts walking with Gilraen, and the ale.
    Last edited by Shadowsend; 2015-05-10 at 03:24 PM.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

27. - Top - End - #237

Sminerano spends a few of Lonjiku's gold on a new, brightly colored, striped vest for the occasion of the festival. On the great day, he looks rather dashing with the new garment, even though it doesn't quite match his kapenia scarf's colors. The look is completed by a full head of elaborately braided hair in the manner of his parents' tribe - a display he is quite proud of, but is reserved for special occasions such as this, because it is quite time-consuming. Having thus paid homage to both his homeland and the man who's been as good to him as an adoptive father, the vanara is satisfied by his good looks, and meets any remarks about it with his customary humor.

He thoroughly enjoys the festival, admiring all displays with open enthusiasm, insisting on trying the food from all six competing inns and taverns, along with the best-smelling from and stands along the way, and a few cups of various wines on the way. Mid-way through, he happily competes in the Goblin Toss, and later, in the Lighthouse Smash. Always with a good eye for beautiful mechanisms, he heartily praises Aesrick on the superb design and craftmanship of the catapult.

By the end of the morning, he already starts to feel the consequences of having indulged in his one major foible, food. Feeling a little too full, he regretfully declines the Spicy Food contest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Goblin Toss

I think the Thrown Anything bonus can reasonably be invoked, as this is practically the same as a splash weapon. Also, Point Blank Shot for a total of +5.
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+5)[7]
    (1d20+5)[6]

Lighthouse Smash - Point Blank Shot for a total of +4, -4 for lack of proficiency, 0 in all.
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[16]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-10 at 07:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

SwashbucklerGuy

Sminerano's aim with the stuffed goblin is true for the first toss, but the next two bounce off the front of the fireplace. This still manages to amuse everyone, due to the odd nature of the game. Daverin still congratulates Sminerano, by saying "Well you didn't manage to burn them all, but those other two got shown one of the ways to Desna!" and hands you a small wooden swallowtail trinket.

The catapult proves slightly easier for the alchemically minded Vanaran, and he manages to knock out all of the blocks representing the lighthouse. Aesrick and the crowd cheer as the last few blocks are knocked down. "Thank you for your kind words. Here is your prize!" he says and hands Sminerano a small catapult.

Show
    I don't know that it will have much gameplay use, but might be able to be rigged as a diversion of some sort.
    My Characters

Games I'm running
    Runelords

29. - Top - End - #239

Sminerano shares a good laugh with the crowd around the Goblin Toss, and gives his newly won toy to one of the delighted children. When he wins at the Lighthouse Smash contest, he screams in delight, just as loudly as any of the little ones. He profusely thanks Aesrick, and proudly carries his prize to show it off to his friends for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-10 at 09:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240

NecromancerGuy

After quietly arriving at the festival, Deren's face lights up in a smile at the townsfolk and their reactions.

Most of this food will come out at lunch, but Ameiko does allow anyone in the group who asks to sample some of the smoked salmon she prepared. It's nearing divine.
    Sandpoint Savories is featuring Avertin's Apple Pie
    White Tailed Deer is serving roast venison with capers
    The Hagfish serves butterfly clams with lemon-butter
    Risa's Place is serving Varisian Delight, A thinly sliced fillet, breaded and rolled around a batter of onion and corn meal and deep fried in oil
    Cracktooth's Tavern has made a crab bisque
    With no sign of either subtlety or passion, Deren tries a little bit of everything, enjoying the opportunity for free food. He compliments the various vendors, making no real effort to invest more than a fleeting word here or there as he walks from stand to stand.

After eating more than his usual fill, he makes his way to the games, picking and choosing from them as the whimsy hits him.

The Devil Hunt
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    (1d20+1)[11], (1d20+1)[14] vs. AC 20

After missing twice, the thin man shrugs, not too surprised with his poor showing but smiling at the other competitors anyway.

The Goblin Toss
    Show
    (1d20+1)[20], (1d20+1)[11], (1d20+1)[21] vs. AC 15

After hitting his mark twice and missing once, Deren smiles and cheers on some of the local children, enjoying the environment greatly. Even Jade pokes his head out briefly to see the excitement before skittering back inside its master's hood, shyly.

Murdermaw - Duck Pond
    Show
    Perception (1d20+3)[15], (1d20+3)[6], (1d20+3)[23] vs DC 15

After finding one duck with a symbol and one without, Deren finds the duck marked as "Murdermaw," earning a treat which he happily shares with several of the cheering children around him. He stays much longer, encouraging the littlest ones as they try to find the right ducks over and over again.

Spicy Eating Contest
    Show
    (1d20)[5], (1d20)[6], (1d20)[16], (1d20)[5], (1d20)[6], (1d20)[18], (1d20)[10], (1d20)[12], (1d20)[13], (1d20)[2] vs. DC 10

It doesn't take long for the skinny man to realize he is out of his depth. After enjoying a cold ale to help quench the fires in his mouth, he smiles through bleary eyes at the cook, raising a glass in her honor.