New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Civ5 GMR 12: Imperialism, ho!

Quote Originally Posted by Magentawolf View Post
    Well, at least you're not trying to cram yourself up north, like everyone else is.
    Pfffft. Let the [slimy disdain]protestants[/slimy disdain] have the frozen north, we Spaniards of the True Faith will have the warm south all to ourselves!

Ok, the Inca can be there too.
    Last edited by OrcusMcP; 2015-05-21 at 09:01 AM.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

The Inca greet their new neighbors warmly! We ask only that you refrain from settling near our sacred mountains; aside from that we welcome your people.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Glorious Espana has settled the city of Saint Domingo to better extend out influence in the new world!

Well, hey, somebody's finally posting screenshots. Now I have something to throw those peanuts at!
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    Well, this certainly isn't a path to China.

Not pictured: the Fountain of Youth, almost within Cahokia's borders.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    Show
    Well, this certainly isn't a path to China.

Not pictured: the Fountain of Youth, almost within Cahokia's borders.
    Spoiler: peanuts
    Show
    Looking for the Northwest Passage?
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by RagingKrikkit View Post
    Spoiler: peanuts
    Show
    Looking for the Northwest Passage?
    Spoiler: Response
    Show
    Any passage, really. I was hoping there would be a path straight west from the starting points (or wherever the AI landed my units), but it's looking like the way through will be somewhere between where I'm about to found a city and where Spain founded their colony. The 400 VP bonus for reaching China first is huge. Not insurmountable, but still... And since that Admiral is at 10 HP, it's not going to last more than one turn in open water. Fortunately I made it into Cahokia's borders so I can use the trade mission ability (which is how I know that the Fountain is up there, which gave me the GA points I needed to spawn a second Admiral).

edit: I guess I should screenshot that as well... next turn.
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2015-05-23 at 07:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

Spoiler: Aztecs
    Show
    Greetings from the Maya. We search the lands for trade partners and allies in these troubled times. Our people have encountered a folk from across the great water, and our sacred quarries have become barren. Have you any knowledge of good building stone or fine marble in the area?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Greetings from the far south! Sadly, we know of only one source of stone building materials, and that's within the borders of the holy city of Tenochtitlan.

Have you considered just building one pyramid in each city and moving to a more efficient sacrifice model? During large ceremonies, we can get a throughput of one heart per thirty seconds thanks to some advanced surgical techniques we'd be happy to share with you.

(Did everyone get terrible pantheon choices for their start location? I bet everyone did.)

As for the visitors from across the sea, let us know if they get pushy. I'm sure the gods would appreciate some variety in their sacrifices.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #159

Show
    Behold the first colony of the Empire of Portugal, Porto Seguro. Gaze upon its fine sands and... more fine sands.

Okay, it's a terrible spot for a colony, but my settler was about to die of scurvy. At least the tile it was on had a luxury.

In other news, "congratulations" to the English for discovering China! Once someone researches Piracy, I know exactly who'll be getting plundered first.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectator sunday update Extravaganza
    Show

First thing to note. I discovered China first, so I have the most points. Now to get my other great admiral over there.

My tech tree. I went Economics.

My worker finishes the mine for copper.

My scout, scouts the land.

My pikeman protects the worker.

Social policies.

The old world.

The new world cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #161

Spoiler: The mayans
    Show

Greetings, from Atheist England. How fair your people?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #162

Spoiler: England
    Show
    The Maya greet your people and wish you welcome. Yours are the second civilization to meet us from across the waters. From where do you come and what are your intentions? The prior great ships passed our lands by, stopping only long enough to admire a large mountain in our territory but you are the first to send an envoy.

Your religious leanings, while lacking, are comforting to our priests. Our oracles predict times of great conflict and we will need allies who will not defile our traditions.

13. - Top - End - #163

Spoiler: The mayans
    Show

From to the east, and north. Our intentions are just passing through on the way to China.

14. - Top - End - #164

FYI, gonna turn off the timer for couple days while I am out of town.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I am attempting to take my turn, but I am having some technical difficulties in the form of crash to desktop every time I load the save file (at the "configuring game data" stage). Anyone have a guess what the deal is?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Usually that means the save file is bloated. Do you have an unbloater?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Cannot say I have ever heard of that particular type of application, but I will google one
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

A related FYI to all participants, I believe the GMR site suggests that save file bloating may be prevented by closing out of Civ 5 COMPLETELY (Not just the main menu) between games.

Quote Originally Posted by GMR FAQ
    Civ V can crash when loading a GMR save file for many reasons including missing Mods or DLC. But at this time the most common reason for a save file becoming un-loadable is due to a bug in Civ V hot seat mode we refer to as "save file bloating". This occurs when a player loads and plays multiple save files one after another without exiting Civ V between them. When you launch Civ V and load a hot seat save file, play your turn, and save it, the resulting save file will be approximately the same size as the original file. However if you then go back to the main menu in Civ V and load another hot seat save file, play your turn, and save it, the new save file for that game will almost always be considerably larger than its original file was. This is what we mean by "bloating".

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, I almost always close out Civ V, but I'll keep that in mind.

Subscribed two mods that said they could do the un-bloating process, will try them out when I get home. Glad the timer's off...

EDIT: That did it. Save File Unbloat + Advanced Setup Mod (so I can use standard mods on a hotseat save).

Show
    Maya Wonder-sniped me by two turns, FYI. Pics of my turns so far later. Right now I have to go fume and buy Jaguars with failgold.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2015-06-12 at 07:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

I am back! And since the bloating was solved, I shall turn the timer back on!

21. - Top - End - #171

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Apologies for the delay in our first contact, but greetings! We are interested in the large fancy mountain you have near the coast there...

Spoiler: Aztec
    Show
    Why hello there! Greetings from Spain! That's a very nice mountain of silver you have there! Shame if something were to happen to it. What are you willing to pay to keep me away?

Show

Saint Domingo, nothing special just yet. Haven't really found any other good settler spots, but found some good conquest spots as you may see below.

Maya, with a gold/culture mountain. Juicy. But not as juicy as the next prize.

Why yes, that IS Cerro de Potosi. Time to start building up forces to take that. From the sheer amount of money I would get from it, to the extra points from treasure fleets, this will be what wins the game for me if I get it.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spoiler: Spain
    Show
    Hi-diddly ho, teotlinos! We're glad you like our mountain, and the lovely treasure unit it's already spawned.

I'm not sure why we'd want to pay to keep you away, though. It's the pride of our Empire. You can continue gazing at it from across the border, or maybe send some of your people over. You can have a look at the mountain, and come see our ceremonies in honor of the gods. We're going to need quite a few guests to properly celebrate meeting newcomers from across the sea, after all. A couple dozen thousand ought to do for a start, and we can't get quite that many from our neighbors.

(Proper spectator update coming after my next turn, promise.)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

Spoiler: Hiawatha
    Show

If possible, we would appreciate it if you didn't move onto the forested dyes.

Would that be possible?

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler: Spain
    Show
    Greetings to the ones from across the great water. Our mighty volcano is indeed an interesting place and very important to our people. While the spirits of flame have not become angry in many cycles it has become a focal point of many rituals, which are unfortunately unfit to share with those of inferior spiritual attainment. Do you come to our lands seeking more such mountains? Unfortunately we have but one sacred peak.

25. - Top - End - #175

Have any of you other Europeans been able to move your starting Inquisitor? I thought I gave mine orders to move to the New World several turns back, but it's still stuck on the starting tile.

26. - Top - End - #176

Have any of you other Europeans been able to move your starting Inquisitor? I thought I gave mine orders to move to the New World several turns back, but it's still stuck on the starting tile.
    I haven't tried. I can try next turn.

Is there any reason to move it to the New world though?

27. - Top - End - #177

The inquisitor is there to keep your home city from being converted, because the AI will try. If that ever happens, you're pretty much boned as far as generating faith goes.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    The inquisitor is there to keep your home city from being converted, because the AI will try. If that ever happens, you're pretty much boned as far as generating faith goes.
    So absolutely meaningless for me. Got it.

29. - Top - End - #179

Even if I wanted to keep it in the home city, it'd still have to move, because it started one tile away...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Even if I wanted to keep it in the home city, it'd still have to move, because it started one tile away...
    Inquisitors still do their thing if they're standing next to the city. It's so you can get missionaries and such.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!